Tigers get a rematch with Houston Kashmere

ST413

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cousin played trumpet in the Kashmere marching band.  He wasn't good enough for the stage band.  He used to tell me all those stories.

I love Silsbee though.  Don't get it twisted.  I'm not fanatical about it, but there's something about growing up in a small town that is hard to explain.

[quote name="Kountzer" post="1376923" timestamp="1361408868"]
My folks had land, etc in Silsbee and in Houston's Fifth Ward/Kashmere Garden area.  As a result I spent a lot of time in both places.  I got cousins that graduated from Kashmere.  I attended one year of school at Lamar Fleming Middle School.  Then I got homesick and went back to the Silsbee school district.  Most of the basketball talent would go to Wheatley.  Kashmere had that golden era during the Karl Godine period.  I don't remember them doing too much more basketball wise before or since.  Now the Kashmere stage band led by Conrad Johnson, that's a different story.  They got a movie out about that, btw.

These days the kashmere gardens area is lucky that Kashmee High School hasn't been closed down.  I hate to say that, but it's true.
[/quote]
HELLO!! EXCUSE ME? I started my career at Kashmere coaching under my father. My dad arrived there from Madison in 1996, and retired in 2007...from 96-07, Kashmere won district 7 out of those 11 years, won 20 or more games EVERY year, made the playoffs EVERY year, and made four regional tourney appearances...SINCE my dad retired...ONE PLAYOFF APPEARANCE in 2013...By the way, when I coached there in 1997-2000, Kashmere was an ACADEMICALLY EXEMPLARY campus...Yes it has really changed since those days, but I was apart of a MAJOR turn around in that program...We actually were #1 in the state in the 1998-1999 season, the year we lost to PA Lincoln in the regional....On another note, I was the freshman coach as a rookie, and my teams went 33-1, 32-0, & 34-0, winning three city championships along the way, before I left to go to Ozen....Just thought I would throw that in there!  ;D ;D

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1377236" timestamp="1361465967"]
[quote author=Kountzer link=topic=109587.msg1376923#msg1376923 date=1361408868]
My folks had land, etc in Silsbee and in Houston's Fifth Ward/Kashmere Garden area.  As a result I spent a lot of time in both places.  I got cousins that graduated from Kashmere.  I attended one year of school at Lamar Fleming Middle School.  Then I got homesick and went back to the Silsbee school district.  Most of the basketball talent would go to Wheatley.  Kashmere had that golden era during the Karl Godine period.  I don't remember them doing too much more basketball wise before or since.  Now the Kashmere stage band led by Conrad Johnson, that's a different story.  They got a movie out about that, btw.

These days the kashmere gardens area is lucky that Kashmee High School hasn't been closed down.  I hate to say that, but it's true.
[/quote]
HELLO!! EXCUSE ME? I started my career at Kashmere coaching under my father. My dad arrived there from Madison in 1996, and retired in 2007...from 96-07, Kashmere won district 7 out of those 11 years, won 20 or more games EVERY year, made the playoffs EVERY year, and made four regional tourney appearances...SINCE my dad retired...ONE PLAYOFF APPEARANCE in 2013...By the way, when I coached there in 1997-2000, Kashmere was an ACADEMICALLY EXEMPLARY campus...Yes it has really changed since those days, but I was apart of a MAJOR turn around in that program...We actually were #1 in the state in the 1998-1999 season, the year we lost to PA Lincoln in the regional....On another note, I was the freshman coach as a rookie, and my teams went 33-1, 32-0, & 34-0, winning three city championships along the way, before I left to go to Ozen....Just thought I would throw that in there!  ;D ;D
[/quote] My mind must be fading but when was the Frankie Brazos there? And was Danny Thomas still coaching there when yall got there?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1377270" timestamp="1361469659"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=109587.msg1377236#msg1377236 date=1361465967]

[/quote]
[/quote] My mind must be fading but when was the Frankie Brazos there? And was Danny Thomas still coaching there when yall got there?
[/quote]
Coach Brazos retired in 1993, and Al Reynolds took over...Danny Thomas left and took a middle school job...

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1377236" timestamp="1361465967"]

[/quote]
[/quote]

DV- You are NOT trying harder, as I previously suggested.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1377303" timestamp="1361474789"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=109587.msg1377270#msg1377270 date=1361469659]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=109587.msg1377236#msg1377236 date=1361465967]

[/quote]
[/quote]
Coach Brazos retired in 1993, and Al Reynolds took over...Danny Thomas left and took a middle school job...
[/quote]Al Reynolds!!! Ohyeahhh. Now I rememba!!! ;)

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1377318" timestamp="1361475622"]

[/quote]
[/quote]

DV- You are NOT trying harder, as I previously suggested.
[/quote]
Awww Man!!  ::)....I'm just stating the facts, while providing a history lesson to the guy!!  ;D ;D

Kashmere may have had some good years.  I didn't keep up with them all that hard.    Changing the subject, Coach Frankie Brazos, great guy.  Coach Carmen Stewart, another one.  Danny Thomas?  Among other things he was world class at playing the dozens back in middle school. 

I haven't seen the Jamie Foxx movie about the Kashmere Stage band.  I've discussed it with some people I know from that era, like Lorice Rose, Jr, whom I know from church.  Just the same, go Silsbee.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder