#5 Barbers Hill vs. Lumberton Updates/BH WINS BIG!!

Bobcat1

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1373321" timestamp="1360724011"]
This is getting ugly quick, proves 4 playoffs teams is too many. ::) What was you thinking UIL?
[/quote]

Solo,

That just about sums it up......  :-[  I remember a few years back when this district had three teams in the top 20(Ozen,Central & Livingston). I can see having three teams make the playoffs when you have a district that strong. Four is pushing it to expect to have a competative game between a 1st place team and a fourth place team. Congrats to the other 20-4A teams. Ozen, Central and Vidor all advanced!

[quote name="LR2014" post="1373586" timestamp="1360771156"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=109205.msg1373321#msg1373321 date=1360724011]
This is getting ugly quick, proves 4 playoffs teams is too many. ::) What was you thinking UIL?
[/quote]

Solo,

That just about sums it up......  :-[  I remember a few years back when this district had three teams in the top 20(Ozen,Central & Livingston). I can see having three teams make the playoffs when you have a district that strong. Four is pushing it to expect to have a competative game between a 1st place team and a fourth place team. Congrats to the other 20-4A teams. Ozen, Central and Vidor all advanced!
[/quote]
I guess I'm one of the few that think 4 teams in the playoffs is a good thing.  (Or at least not a negative thing) There are a few good districts out there that in some of those years like LR2014 noted have solid teams in at least the top 3 spots.  The majority of teams play some sort of "warm-up" game anyway...and any #1 views this as a warm up, but still has to keep their guard up.  #4 seeds are always hopeful and most play hard, but its not a realistic expectation for #4 seeds to prevail...so what's the big deal?  A warm-up game with a price if you don't stay on your toes.
The UIL thinks its a good deal...lower classifications are adding an additional team to the playoffs next year.

[quote name="Slam14" post="1373610" timestamp="1360772884"]
[quote author=LR2014 link=topic=109205.msg1373586#msg1373586 date=1360771156]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=109205.msg1373321#msg1373321 date=1360724011]
[/quote]

Solo,

[/quote]
I guess I'm one of the few that think 4 teams in the playoffs is a good thing.  (Or at least not a negative thing) There are a few good districts out there that in some of those years like LR2014 noted have solid teams in at least the top 3 spots.  The majority of teams play some sort of "warm-up" game anyway...and any #1 views this as a warm up, but still has to keep their guard up.  #4 seeds are always hopeful and most play hard, but its not a realistic expectation for #4 seeds to prevail...so what's the big deal?  A warm-up game with a price if you don't stay on your toes.
The UIL thinks its a good deal...lower classifications are adding an additional team to the playoffs next year.
[/quote]

Agreed! Not sure why some get angry about 4 going. At the end of the day you have to beat everyone to be #1. Plus there have been plenty of upsets in round 1 of any athletic competitions to keep the 4's in there.

[quote name="BHFAN" post="1373691" timestamp="1360779052"]
[quote author=Slam14 link=topic=109205.msg1373610#msg1373610 date=1360772884]
[/quote]

Solo,

[/quote]
[/quote]

Agreed! Not sure why some get angry about 4 going. At the end of the day you have to beat everyone to be #1. Plus there have been plenty of upsets in round 1 of any athletic competitions to keep the 4's in there.
[/quote]
Yeah???  List the ones that you know of and go ahead and Google the records to try to find others. ??? 8)

When I played there was only one, I know I know times have changed. IMO it was more competitive with one or maybe two teams. Now it is watered down just like the All districts picks. Being District champions does not have the same meaning anymore. Besides coaches will tell you that most of the time the bracket favors the second place team in most cases. The only thing being district champion means is having a bye in 3A anyway. I can't stand a "BYE". ;D ;D Some districts only have four teams. If you are going to have 4 then why not let them all make it. That is what it is coming too.

[quote name="usedtobe" post="1373729" timestamp="1360780435"]
[quote author=BHFAN link=topic=109205.msg1373691#msg1373691 date=1360779052]
[/quote]

Solo,

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yeah???  List the ones that you know of and go ahead and Google the records to try to find others. ??? 8)
[/quote]

What difference does it make who would make that list?

I too am old enough to where when I played only the district champion advanced to the playoff.  is that the solution?  Vidor, Dayton, Central, Orangefield and others should be left out?  Even with 3 teams that creates a bye.  I'd rather have a scheduled game against a #4 seed than a bye is all I'm saying.
This is discussed every season and some opinions don't change.  The bottom line is the best teams usually win...and if they slip up and don't....maybe they weren't the best team.

If you are a #1 seed and are truely better...then why do you care if a #4 seed is there?

[quote name="Slam14" post="1373785" timestamp="1360784061"]
[quote author=usedtobe link=topic=109205.msg1373729#msg1373729 date=1360780435]
[quote author=BHFAN link=topic=109205.msg1373691#msg1373691 date=1360779052]
[/quote]

Solo,

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

What difference does it make who would make that list?

I too am old enough to where when I played only the district champion advanced to the playoff.  is that the solution?  Vidor, Dayton, Central, Orangefield and others should be left out?  Even with 3 teams that creates a bye.  I'd rather have a scheduled game against a #4 seed than a bye is all I'm saying.
This is discussed every season and some opinions don't change.  The bottom line is the best teams usually win...and if they slip up and don't....maybe they weren't the best team.

If you are a #1 seed and are truely better...then why do you care if a #4 seed is there?
[/quote]

We both agree there should be more than one because there were some good Orangefield teams in the mid 70's - 80's that never made it because  they only took one. We don't agree on the 4 and that is perfectly fine with me.  ;) I do agree that 4 does away with the bye but so does 2.

[quote name="kenneth1617" post="1373885" timestamp="1360795177"]
sometimes 3 is to many look at cleveland
[/quote]

I so agree, did not help Buna much to play a team they were much better than. Really does not prepare them for the hard road ahead. You prepare by playing a stern test every game. The only thing you gain by playing a much weaker team is the "W" on the record.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86