1. 1. Who Wins??

• Nederland
    • Silsbee

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1354507" timestamp="1355431682"]
An early morning practice was scheduled to help with the learning curve for the FB kids. Two kids showed up excited, and the other two didn't show. If they don't want to be a part of the team, then so be it. Kimler and Shaw will attribute plenty to the team.
[/quote]Sometimes less is better

[quote name="85' HUSKER" post="1354483" timestamp="1355428807"]
You are so right Dogfan. None of those boys had any basketball skills to help the team anyway according to some. I personally just don't understand why your best player, his dad and the head coach were so upset this am. Go figure.
[/quote]Why so sensitive Husker? I'm sure they became upset bc they wanted these two kids to be as passionate about basketball as them. They want to win, and they believe these two kids would help the team do that. They recognize the need for another Big, so when they didnt show this morning, they were upset about it.

Why get caught up with a couple of people's opinion about the role or skills of the these 2 young men. They could be a true asset to this team, but they have chosen to not be. Has coach English or any other player ever mentioned them not having basketball skills? I have actually heard the opposite. I hear they both improved quite a bit since last year, and they were looking forward to them joining the team.

These people who claim these kids don't have bball skills; Are they basketball experts? I highly doubt it. The team WILL move on with or without your support. Kimler will step up and play the role of a Big, and Shaw already showed his speed will cause havoc for opposing guards.
Go Dawgs!

So Couron and Washington have choosen not to play basketball this year? If so, I hate to hear that. This is couron's last year and i think he will regret that decision later. On the other side of the coin, both these boys have a good chance to play football at the next level. So maybe that has something to do with there decision. If it does and they are both wanting to heal up and reduce the risk of injury, i don't blame them.  As for the team goes, it would be nice to have that extra size in there to give Weisbrod a break, which could help late in games. IMO... the dogs will be just fine and will continue to improve.

[quote name="BIG SHOW" post="1354529" timestamp="1355434242"]
So Couron and Washington have choosen not to play basketball this year? If so, I hate to hear that. This is couron's last year and i think he will regret that decision later. On the other side of the coin, both these boys have a good chance to play football at the next level. So maybe that has something to do with there decision. If it does and they are both wanting to heal up and reduce the risk of injury, i don't blame them.  As for the team goes, it would be nice to have that extra size in there to give Weisbrod a break, which could help late in games. IMO... the dogs will be just fine and will continue to improve.
[/quote]

I was told, in person, by a head coach in the Big 12, that when he is evaluating players for scholarships, he can tell in five minutes more about who he wants by watching them on the basketball court than he can on the football field.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1354548" timestamp="1355435702"]
[quote author=BIG SHOW link=topic=107409.msg1354529#msg1354529 date=1355434242]
[/quote]

I was told, in person, by a head coach in the Big 12, that when he is evaluating players for scholarships, he can tell in five minutes more about who he wants by watching them on the basketball court than he can on the football field.
[/quote] No pads and no helmets to hide behind. ;)

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats why Iowa St. has been in the bottom of the conference for so long.  Makes sense now.

The 1st time these teams played each other it was a close game even without Silsbee players Holmes, Elam, Reed & others. It would be hard to imagine Silsbee losing to Nederland this time around. I mean heck stats from last year from both Holmes & Elam show that each averaged 15+ points a game.

Just curious....were these 2 FB players released from the team due to missing practice or did they just decide they didn't want to play and therefore didn't attend practice. I saw them both at the PAM game.

I'm eager to see Kimler and Shaw on the court. They will both contribute!!

This should not have been a surprise to anyone on the team. The rumors about them not showing to play have been going around the campus for several weeks. I thought it would have been sooner that they would announce they did not have intentions to play this year. But, i was keeping my fingers crossed that they would have changed their minds. The dogs have been playing good ball so far and sure they will be missed but, I do not think this will cause any harm to the bench. The addition of Shaw and Kimbler are great additions and Weisbrod will step up more to the challange of becoming more physical.

[quote name="GoBigBlue1997" post="1354557" timestamp="1355436191"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=107409.msg1354548#msg1354548 date=1355435702]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats why Iowa St. has been in the bottom of the conference for so long.  Makes sense now.
[/quote]

Nice try- This comment came from the coach of a  Big Twelve school  that is in Texas and has been to bowl games the last couple of years.  Try all you want, but you wont be able to discredit this individual. 

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1354572" timestamp="1355437295"]
[quote author=GoBigBlue1997 link=topic=107409.msg1354557#msg1354557 date=1355436191]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=107409.msg1354548#msg1354548 date=1355435702]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice try- This comment came from the coach of a  Big Twelve school  that is in Texas and has been to bowl games the last couple of years.  Try all you want, but you wont be able to discredit this individual.
[/quote]

It was just a joke, but why are we playing the game of mystery?  If he is not afraid of being discredited because he evaluates football talent on the basketball court, then just quote your source.  We know its not Mack or Sumlin.  I would have to go with Briles I guess. 

[quote name="scapegoat" post="1354576" timestamp="1355437839"]
Dove you truly do not know the character of the two Nederland players to make a comment like you did.I promise you these two do not need to hide behind pads.They have great character!
[/quote]My comment had nothing to do with Nederland players. It was in reference to Nash's comment about a football coach recruiting observations from the court. I just so happen to know who he is referring to.... Now tell me you're sorry!!!

[quote name="GoBigBlue1997" post="1354575" timestamp="1355437798"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=107409.msg1354572#msg1354572 date=1355437295]
[quote author=GoBigBlue1997 link=topic=107409.msg1354557#msg1354557 date=1355436191]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It was just a joke, but why are we playing the game of mystery?  If he is not afraid of being discredited because he evaluates football talent on the basketball court, then just quote your source.  We know its not Mack or Sumlin.  I would have to go with Briles I guess.
[/quote]

Doesnt matter which one it is.  The point is that this individual supports multiple sport athletes and basketball if helpful to him in choosing who he wants.  I don't care to quote him in writing because I did not tell him I would be doing so.

[/quote]
Good point... it surely didn't hurt Mike Evans from Galveston Ball a couple years ago. He has turned into one heck of a receiver for Texas A&M.

[/quote]

One big guy is a junior and the other a senior. So this impacts next year also for Nederland . It is sad news . Huge powerful men can not be replaced . Nederland is a good team but losing 6'5" Vegas from last year's team and now these 2 bangers will hurt our chances to pound Central and Ozen . No way those 2 teams could have stood up to our muscle . Now, the tables are turned .

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1354618" timestamp="1355443096"]
[quote author=GoBigBlue1997 link=topic=107409.msg1354575#msg1354575 date=1355437798]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=107409.msg1354572#msg1354572 date=1355437295]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Doesnt matter which one it is.  The point is that this individual supports multiple sport athletes and basketball if helpful to him in choosing who he wants.  I don't care to quote him in writing because I did not tell him I would be doing so.
[/quote]
There have been a few pretty good college basketball players that made pretty good NFLer's.  And I said a FEW.

[quote name="scapegoat" post="1354610" timestamp="1355441786"]
I might apologize if you can explain what you meant by "no pads and helmets to hide behind".That is vague.
[/quote] My brother from another mother (Steve Nash) said, "I was told, in person, by a head coach in the Big 12, [color=red]that when he is evaluating players for scholarships, he can tell in five minutes more about who he wants by watching them on the basketball court than he can on the football field.[/color]

I meant you can't hide your character as much on a basketball court. Your toughness and your will to compete IS EXPOSED. Now say you're sorry!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder