1. 1. Who Wins??

• Nederland
    • Silsbee

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1354729" timestamp="1355455823"]
[quote author=scapegoat link=topic=107409.msg1354610#msg1354610 date=1355441786]
I might apologize if you can explain what you meant by "no pads and helmets to hide behind".That is vague.
[/quote] My brother from another mother (Steve Nash) said, "I was told, in person, by a head coach in the Big 12, [color=red]that when he is evaluating players for scholarships, he can tell in five minutes more about who he wants by watching them on the basketball court than he can on the football field.[/color]

I meant you can't hide your character as much on a basketball court. Your toughness and your will to compete IS EXPOSED. Now say you're sorry!!
[/quote]

Well said Dove ( although it pains me to say that)

[quote name="ST413" post="1354760" timestamp="1355460886"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=107409.msg1354740#msg1354740 date=1355457014]
I expect a hug game from Chris Elam and Wilson!
[/quote]

Although teammates I doubt Chris and Dante will participate in a "hug game"....
[/quote]

I doubt that as well! How about a huge game!

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1354779" timestamp="1355487244"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=107409.msg1354729#msg1354729 date=1355455823]
[quote author=scapegoat link=topic=107409.msg1354610#msg1354610 date=1355441786]
I might apologize if you can explain what you meant by "no pads and helmets to hide behind".That is vague.
[/quote] My brother from another mother (Steve Nash) said, "I was told, in person, by a head coach in the Big 12, [color=red]that when he is evaluating players for scholarships, he can tell in five minutes more about who he wants by watching them on the basketball court than he can on the football field.[/color]

I meant you can't hide your character as much on a basketball court. Your toughness and your will to compete IS EXPOSED. Now say you're sorry!!
[/quote]

Well said Dove ( although it pains me to say that)
[/quote]Our momma would be proud  :)

Dove,there are quacks in every profession and I think Nash has found one in his Big 12 scout.To evaluate a player in his secondary sport is crazy.Example Coby Couron's role on the Ned. Basketball team is very limited.His role on the Football team was someone who led by example with high intensity because the program viewed him as a vital part of success.If a scout passed him up for what he saw on the basketball court,It would be that Football  programs loss.What would impress me as a scout is that Coby has decided to give up basketball this season to put on more size and strength to help him at the next level.I know it will hurt the Ned. basketball team that Washington and Couron have made a tough decision.I hope they understand. 

[quote name="scapegoat" post="1354826" timestamp="1355497635"]
Dove,there are quacks in every profession and I think Nash has found one in his Big 12 scout.To evaluate a player in his secondary sport is crazy.Example Coby Couron's role on the Ned. Basketball team is very limited.His role on the Football team was someone who led by example with high intensity because the program viewed him as a vital part of success.If a scout passed him up for what he saw on the basketball court,It would be that Football  programs loss.What would impress me as a scout is that Coby has decided to give up basketball this season to put on more size and strength to help him at the next level.I know it will hurt the Ned. basketball team that Washington and Couron have made a tough decision.I hope they understand.
[/quote] Momma? Is it you? I should have known  ;D

[quote name="scapegoat" post="1354826" timestamp="1355497635"]
[/quote]

My big 12" scout" is the [b]head coach [/b] and has refused offers from several major programs that recently hired a head coach.  His record more than documents he knows exactly what he is doing.  He was not saying that he made evaluations on basketball alone but that he  could tell more about a kids athleticism on the basketball court than he could in pads.

Scapegoat save your breath. You need to realize you are arguing with dads who get upset that a coach might make their child lift a two pound dumbbell during off season.  ;D  :P  With that being said, no doubt BB will help a kid with his footwork among other things. I do have a question for Almighty Nash--- When Persohn (sp) would finish his football season and go onto BB did the community of HJ refer to him as a FB player or was he considered a BB player like the rest of the team?   

Back on topic --- If Silsbee is allowed to play aggressive they win by 15+  If the refs call a tight came, which favors the Dogs, Silsbee wins by 6. It will be fun to watch -- I have never been to the Tiger Den. Good luck to both teams 

[quote name="85' HUSKER" post="1355039" timestamp="1355515691"]
Scapegoat save your breath. You need to realize you are arguing with dads who get upset that a coach might make their child lift a two pound dumbbell during off season.  ;D  :P  With that being said, no doubt BB will help a kid with his footwork among other things. I do have a question for Almighty Nash--- [color=red]When Persohn (sp) would finish his football season and go onto BB did the community of HJ refer to him as a FB player or was he considered a BB player like the rest of the team?    [/color] Back on topic --- If Silsbee is allowed to play aggressive they win by 15+  If the refs call a tight came, which favors the Dogs, Silsbee wins by 6. It will be fun to watch -- I have never been to the Tiger Den. Good luck to both teams
[/quote]

I cant answer that question because I didnt poll the "community".  He was quite obviously more competent at football than basketball but I can tell you that the Lamar coaching staff was at 5 or 6 of the home basketball games observing him during his senior year.  Since he had signed with them prior to those games, I wonder why they were there?  Could it possibly be that the college coach (to whom I already referred) is not the only one who believes that basketball gives a football coach more insight about his players/potential players?  Please note that I have  not resorted to calling you the "almighty" 85'husker in a mocking fashion.  I can also tell you that for a number of years, I lived only a few miles from Lincoln ( if I am interpreting your board name correctly)

Didn't mean to offend ---The Almighty comes strictly from respect and me being a little funny. I guess I should have known better since we are not that familiar with one another. It just seems you are the man in the know in HJ. By the way, you won't get an argument out of me in re the benefits of playing basketball. It just happens to be, this year, the game of BB has been ill advised for one of the Nederland FB players to participate in. He made a tough decision, but it is the right one for him. It is just unfortunate folks make comments without knowing the full story.     

Ok- gotcha- Yes, I am pretty well connected to the HJ basketball program.  I agree wholeheartedly with you last couple of sentences.  Was I right about your board name?  If a player is not committed 100% to basketball during the basketball season,( for whatever the reason) I think everyone benefits if he doesnt play.

[quote name="85' HUSKER" post="1355039" timestamp="1355515691"]
Scapegoat save your breath. You need to realize you are arguing with dads who get upset that a coach might make their child lift a two pound dumbbell during off season.  ;D  :P  With that being said, no doubt BB will help a kid with his footwork among other things. I do have a question for Almighty Nash--- When Persohn (sp) would finish his football season and go onto BB did the community of HJ refer to him as a FB player or was he considered a BB player like the rest of the team?   

Back on topic --- If Silsbee is allowed to play aggressive they win by 15+  If the refs call a tight came, which favors the Dogs, Silsbee wins by 6. It will be fun to watch -- I have never been to the Tiger Den. Good luck to both teams
[/quote]LOL!!! HJ lift weights?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1355080" timestamp="1355521678"]
[quote author=85' HUSKER link=topic=107409.msg1355039#msg1355039 date=1355515691]

[/quote]

Yes, the basketball players lift weights at HJ, Dove even though you would like it better if nobody believed it.  The difference is that the HJ basketball staff makes those decisions for the basketball players rather than the football coach

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1355089" timestamp="1355523643"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=107409.msg1355080#msg1355080 date=1355521678]
[quote author=85' HUSKER link=topic=107409.msg1355039#msg1355039 date=1355515691]

[/quote]

Yes, the basketball players lift weights at HJ, Dove even though you would like it better if nobody believed it.  The difference is that the HJ basketball staff makes those decisions for the basketball players rather than the football coach
[/quote]I don't think I've ever seen you put it this way. The basketball coach makes the decisions on weight lifting, not the football coach

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1355403" timestamp="1355582901"]
[quote author=Razor link=topic=107409.msg1355333#msg1355333 date=1355546605]
Soulja, you da man on that prediction...pretty dang close
[/quote]

As of this moment, it would appear that Soulja has replaced the Dove as #1 in prescience.
[/quote]  ;D ;D ;) ;)

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1355403" timestamp="1355582901"]
[quote author=Razor link=topic=107409.msg1355333#msg1355333 date=1355546605]
Soulja, you da man on that prediction...pretty dang close
[/quote]

As of this moment, it would appear that Soulja has replaced the Dove as #1 in prescience.
[/quote] :(

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder