Southeast Texas Football

Its what you do in the weight room that matters,. Doesn't matter if the weight room is a palace or a barn. Doesn't matter if its the biggest jumbotron in the state or the rustiest old scoreboard in the state. Its how many points you put on it.

All the bling in the world don't make an ugly gal pretty and the pretty ones can shine without the bling---

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you oldbuc, but it is all that glitz that attracts the best athletes and it's hard to beat the best athletes when they have good coaching to go with it. It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$ now. Parents are moving their good athletes, to great programs, just to win a championship.

This is true.

Parents know that everyone is not going to get scholarships so you must put your child/athlete in the best light to be successful and what better way than getting your child to a successful, well-known program, esp in state of TEXAS.

$$$$ does matter, coaching matters, off-season work matters, individual work ethic and desire matter and of course, a little talent does hurt either.

High School Sports is changing quickly and the climate of recruiting.  It's just not winning any more in high school sports but it is about getting to the next level for the athletes.  And help us all, that is a good thing; however, coaches are pinched in by this, and the pressure from communities and the desire to create a championship team.

SE Texas is the gutter of high school sports in recruiting.  However, I say this NOT that is true but that after the greater areas of San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston areas are heavily recruited, we really don't factor in high school recruiting.  Yes, there are athletes who stand out or get recognized at scouting events, which parents get those athletes to, for college recruiting.  And It's not a lack of talent in SE Texas, just they way it is in TEXAS, esp football.  WOS gets looks in football recruiting but year in and year out, no too much other schools in this area. 

And the great divide is only getting worse as time goes by, and the next generation of parents all KNOW that their child is the NeXt great thing.  There is not an "I" in TEAM but there is an "I" in WINNER and RECRUITED!!!!!

This thread is a bunch of B.S.  I understand the arguement that setx football not being on the same level as other parts of the state, but SETX is always represented at the state basketball tourny, and usually state baseball tourny.  WOS did win three state titles in a row in track, not to mention numerous state records, and if memory serves me they did it with a condemned track.  Ozen's girls have won a state title in track as well.  don't forget about Bridge City in Cross Country and numerous schools in golf as well as softball.  As far as football goes, WOS, Kirbyville, and Newton have all played in state title games in the 2000's.  Are the schools in SETX behind in athletic facilities, definately.  A lot has to do with economy, but NONE of that is required to win a state title.  If you don't think so just give the former WOS a track coach a call.

[quote name="setxguru" post="1352553" timestamp="1355081893"]
This thread is a bunch of B.S.  I understand the arguement that setx football not being on the same level as other parts of the state, but SETX is always represented at the state basketball tourny, and usually state baseball tourny.  WOS did win three state titles in a row in track, not to mention numerous state records, and if memory serves me they did it with a condemned track.  Ozen's girls have won a state title in track as well.  don't forget about Bridge City in Cross Country and numerous schools in golf as well as softball.  As far as football goes, WOS, Kirbyville, and Newton have all played in state title games in the 2000's.  Are the schools in SETX behind in athletic facilities, definately.  A lot has to do with economy, but NONE of that is required to win a state title.  If you don't think so just give the former WOS a track coach a call.
[/quote]
No doubt that SETX has talent in every sport. When it comes to football we always have that team or two that are really good and make a deep run. Just when we get to about the 4th round we run into a team that is just that good and get bounced out.

[quote name="knows2much" post="1352285" timestamp="1355024216"]
I was at WOS game last night. Coaching comparison was 19 to 9.

Coldsprings also has 19 high school football coaches.
[/quote]
Coldspring barely has 19 teachers at the high school.  Maybe if your school would have spent more on math teachers and less on jumbotrons, you would have learned to count.

[quote name="thedogs1987" post="1352548" timestamp="1355080205"]
This is true.

Parents know that everyone is not going to get scholarships so you must put your child/athlete in the best light to be successful and what better way than getting your child to a successful, well-known program, esp in state of TEXAS.

$$$$ does matter, coaching matters, off-season work matters, individual work ethic and desire matter and of course, a little talent does hurt either.

High School Sports is changing quickly and the climate of recruiting.  It's just not winning any more in high school sports but it is about getting to the next level for the athletes.  And help us all, that is a good thing; however, coaches are pinched in by this, and the pressure from communities and the desire to create a championship team.

SE Texas is the gutter of high school sports in recruiting.  However, I say this NOT that is true but that after the greater areas of San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston areas are heavily recruited, we really don't factor in high school recruiting.  Yes, there are athletes who stand out or get recognized at scouting events, which parents get those athletes to, for college recruiting.  And It's not a lack of talent in SE Texas, just they way it is in TEXAS, esp football.  WOS gets looks in football recruiting but year in and year out, no too much other schools in this area. 

And the great divide is only getting worse as time goes by, and the next generation of parents all KNOW that their child is the NeXt great thing.  There is not an "I" in TEAM but there is an "I"n WINNER and RECRUITED!!!!!
[/quote]
This post summarized high school football to the "T", it's no longer about the team concept which does make it a little harder to compete with the larger schools which setx will face in the later rounds, i said harder not impossible.. but what you cant compare are other sports to this scenario such as track because its more less an individual sport and if a kid is fast hell he/she will be fast on new track or a pile of dirt so its not a good comparison..

[quote name="knows2much" post="1352428" timestamp="1355064854"]
I'm not saying that it can't or won't be done. Even the Yankees lose. Newton without a doubt has an exceptional team. I really want for them to represent SETX with a state championship. But aside from that...[color=red][b]when's the last time we've had a championship from this area. [/b][/color]Even the year Coldsprings made it...they got the heck beat out of them by Carthage. Making it 2,3,4 rounds isn't always a great success when you get trashed when you get there. Take a road trip to some of the schools I'm talking about. Go to Navasota and ask yourself if WOS had that much of a chance. Every year we have all these ''great'' teams that we are so sure will make deep, deep runs. And they don't. WOS, Silsbee, Nederland, East Chambers, Newton,... I'm just saying..our ''great'' teams eventually get beat and usually beat bad. Newton seems to be an exception this year so far. We do not have a single school in this area going ''all out'' on athletics. We will always be second fiddle until that happens.
[/quote]
To answer your question it was Newton in 2005. Newton also went to the finals in 2004 and lost to Boyd. When the state is slashing the schools budgets to the bone and beyond, I think your argument about funding athletics is way off base. Athletics is not a core subject and should not be treated as one simply to justify putting a better team on the field. I love football and think it helps the young men that play in many, many ways. But a quality education helps more numbers of students to try to prepare to move into society in a productive way. This should always outway any gains on the athletic field. Now the Newton athletic program has been successful with high school wins. But it has also allowed a large number of kids the opportunity to get a college education that otherwise might not have. They don't call McNeese State Newton east for nothing. I don't think under the current economic times that spending one dollar more for athletics at any school could be justified. JMHO 

Several of you are missing the point of this thread. Team A has nicer facilities, get to pay coaches more money, get to have more coaches, coaches spend less time teaching more time coaching, ... team A wins 9 out of 10. team A has more kids want to play and play harder because they get a new set of uniforms every year. Team A is also going to have more and better transfers just to be a part of it. Team B just have to wait until an abnormally talented group comes together (Newton this year).

Anybody that thinks that kind of money is not being spent on athletics right now needs to do a little research, or take a field trip, or both.

I'm just trying to bring to light the harsh truth of it all. I'm from SETX and I'm telling you, things are changing real fast and we're falling way behind.

[quote name="77" post="1352616" timestamp="1355090879"]
If your asking if I want a tax increase for turf I say no!
[/quote]

I'm not asking that. And I have nothing to do with anything related to turf fields or stadium constructio. But you just proved a point I'm making. You're not willing to spend a penny on something that may help your community win football games. You think facilities has anything to do with why so many kids playing at Dayton are Liberty transfers?

I will agree with you Knows2much on the last statement.  The mentality of several in SETX is that they are not willing to sacrifice for young people.  77 just confirms that.  To me it is rediculous, but thats the difference between SETX are other parts of the state.  I however do not think you have to have those things to win titles.

[quote name="setxguru" post="1352624" timestamp="1355091588"]
[quote author=77 link=topic=107288.msg1352616#msg1352616 date=1355090879]
If your asking if I want a tax increase for turf I say no!
[/quote]
Oh yea, I almost forgot.  People like 77 are also the reason why SETX are behind the rest of the state in athletic facilities.
[/quote]When a location is not growing like SETX is not growing you will not have the tax base. Drive through Georgetown or Roundrock or Humble or the Woodlands and look how many bussinesses there are  thats what builds nice complexes its not cities like Orange  that are dying and have no tax base!

I've probably paid more taxes in the last 5 yrs. than both of yall put together (maybe not) but my point is you cannot build these complexes on the backs of residents you have to have a very broad tax base. And I've probably donated more of my time to different programs than most! Sounds like the kids you support need to buy into a program and be willing to work for pride  and an oppertunity to be a winner, who knows might do them some good to work out outside some !jmo

[quote name="Chris17" post="1352636" timestamp="1355092179"]
I would rather spend money on quality teachers to teach my children how to read and write. I'll worry about the football season last.  I think if your child is good enough to play at the next level he will. 
[/quote]

Unfortunately it goes together. School that have the willingness to spend that kind of money are also going to have the best teachers. Teachers would rather work at Barbers Hill than Evadale I promise. We all know why. You say you'd rather spend money on teachers..we're not even doing that.

[quote name="knows2much" post="1352643" timestamp="1355092667"]
[quote author=Chris17 link=topic=107288.msg1352636#msg1352636 date=1355092179]
I would rather spend money on quality teachers to teach my children how to read and write. I'll worry about the football season last.  I think if your child is good enough to play at the next level he will. 
[/quote]

Unfortunately it goes together. School that have the willingness to spend that kind of money are also going to have the best teachers. Teachers would rather work at Barbers Hill than Evadale I promise. We all know why. You say you'd rather spend money on teachers..we're not even doing that.
[/quote]BISD has one of the nicest facilities around hows that workin for them? But I will agree with you on the teachers and coaches pay but not nessesarly all the fluff!

I do agree with some of some of what both 77 and Knows to much are saying, all I am saying is communities in other parts of the state are willing to put much more into there athletics and extra-curriculars than the people in this part of the state do.  It is however your right to do so or not do so.  I just think that after seeing those other regions in the state, the people in this area are VERY small minded.  If the administrators and community has a good plan, the sky is the limit.

[quote name="knows2much" post="1352643" timestamp="1355092667"]
[quote author=Chris17 link=topic=107288.msg1352636#msg1352636 date=1355092179]
[/quote]

[/quote] I agree we are not, and it's very sad. Football is just a game. I think we should educate the kids where they can make good money. Barbers Hill's teachers make a pretty nice salary, but their football team is average.  I can't move to the Austin or Dallas area because I would take a pay cut working there, so I'm stuck in setx.

[quote name="77" post="1352652" timestamp="1355093183"]
WOS has one of the older stadiums around but its still one of the best in my book for watching games big stands great parking lots of room! Giant video board not needed!jmo
[/quote]
Once again, OFCOURSE ITS NOT NEEDED, but wouldn't it be a nice upgrade to get say field turf.  Did you think the track was needed?

[quote name="setxguru" post="1352655" timestamp="1355093306"]
[quote author=77 link=topic=107288.msg1352652#msg1352652 date=1355093183]
WOS has one of the older stadiums around but its still one of the best in my book for watching games big stands great parking lots of room! Giant video board not needed!jmo
[/quote]
Once again, OFCOURSE ITS NOT NEEDED, but wouldn't it be a nice upgrade to get say field turf.  Did you think the track was needed?
[/quote]Sure it would but my point is that the places that are building these big complexes are booming

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder