Navasota/WOS game is state title game, per WOS HC

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1348702" timestamp="1354592551"]
[quote author=MrUmp1 link=topic=107096.msg1348667#msg1348667 date=1354590326]
I think there are a few of other teams that will have a say so in this. Bellville, Gilmer, Henderson or Graham
[/quote]

Was a bit surprised Cornell said this to a reporter.
[/quote]

This doesn't sound like Cornel.  'Not sure if I believe it.  A newspaper misquoting someone is not a new practice. 

They have another quote that sounds more like what he really would say:

"Of course, they're not going to give you the trophy until you win Nos. 5 and 6, but this [u][b]could be[/b][/u] the game that you look back and say, 'That was the state championship game.'"

[quote name="griff" post="1348712" timestamp="1354593428"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=107096.msg1348702#msg1348702 date=1354592551]
I think there are a few of other teams that will have a say so in this. Bellville, Gilmer, Henderson or Graham
[/quote]

[/quote]

This doesn't sound like Cornel.  'Not sure if I believe it.  A newspaper misquoting someone is not a new practice. 

"Of course, they're not going to give you the trophy until you win Nos. 5 and 6, but this [u][b]could be[/b][/u] the game that you look back and say, 'That was the state championship game.'"
[/quote]

I tend to agree. But in this case, I think he made the statement. I don't think this reporter would put this comment in the article if Cornel did not make it.

"This is the state championship game right here," Thompson said Monday.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/article/West-Orange-Stark-coach-says-winner-Friday-will-4088163.php#ixzz2E3IlsomB

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1348718" timestamp="1354593746"]
[quote author=griff link=topic=107096.msg1348712#msg1348712 date=1354593428]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=107096.msg1348702#msg1348702 date=1354592551]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I tend to agree. But in this case, I think he made the statement. I don't think this reporter would put this comment in the article if Cornel did not make it.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/article/West-Orange-Stark-coach-says-winner-Friday-will-4088163.php#ixzz2E3IlsomB
[/quote]

I know, AAW, that is what you want to believe.  Your response on this article and the fact that you're trying to draw attention to your view of it is another subtle backhand that you've been known for when it comes to WO-S.  It's ridiculous that you continue to chisel at WO-S like this.  When I made a harmless joke about Silsbee last year, you deleted my post then lied to me about deleting it.  You've lost a lot of respect from several of us on here who see through your thin veil.

I've known Cornel for many years, as have my parents.  He is much too cautious of a man and coach to say, "This is the state championship game." I will put more stock in his careful nature about what he says to people and what I know about him (first hand) above sloppy journalism any day of the week. 

Why won't you just stop riding this dead horse.  ::)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1348731" timestamp="1354594830"]
You are wrong, Griff.

I posted this because I was very surprised that Coach Thompson made that statement. If true (which I just received word by the reporter himself that it is) then I believe it to be somewhat news worthy.

You need to take your conspiracy glasses off. ::)
[/quote]

Bull.  You see it as a way to take a jab at WO-S.  I don't believe you.  You need to get off the back of WO-S.  There's no conspiracy in catching someone in a lie, as you did concerning the Silsbee joke I made.

[quote name="griff" post="1348735" timestamp="1354594991"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=107096.msg1348731#msg1348731 date=1354594830]
You are wrong, Griff.

I posted this because I was very surprised that Coach Thompson made that statement. If true (which I just received word by the reporter himself that it is) then I believe it to be somewhat news worthy.

[/quote]

Bull.  You see it as a way to take a jab at WO-S.  I don't believe you.  You need to get off the back of WO-S.  There's no conspiracy in catching someone in a lie, as you did concerning the Silsbee joke I made.
[/quote] Griff, you could easily call the Enterprise about it if its that serious, trust me, in the past when i was in high school there was an article about one of my classmates and i actually went up to the PA News office and had a brief convo about it. Pretty sure they wont turn you down if it was actually said.  ;)

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1348751" timestamp="1354596493"]
[quote author=griff link=topic=107096.msg1348735#msg1348735 date=1354594991]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=107096.msg1348731#msg1348731 date=1354594830]
You are wrong, Griff.

[/quote]

[/quote] Griff, you could easily call the Enterprise about it if its that serious, trust me, in the past when i was in high school there was an article about one of my classmates and i actually went up to the PA News office and had a brief convo about it. Pretty sure they wont turn you down if it was actually said.  ;)
[/quote]

Nah...I'll just ask Coach himself. 

[quote name="griff" post="1348756" timestamp="1354596776"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=107096.msg1348751#msg1348751 date=1354596493]
[quote author=griff link=topic=107096.msg1348735#msg1348735 date=1354594991]
You are wrong, Griff.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nah...I'll just ask Coach himself.
[/quote] 8)

I just read the article and dont see what the big deal is IMO, coaches across the state say stuff like that at this time of the year to pump their own team up, if they win Friday it'll probably be said again.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1348718" timestamp="1354593746"]

[/quote]

Ruh-row!  :o

Very surprised that he said that. I can only surmise that he was trying to stamp in his players minds how important this game is. IMO, I think it probably is the two most talented teams. However, whichever wins, is going to have a hard time getting mentally prepared for the following week.

[quote name="Txdragon" post="1348772" timestamp="1354598940"]
Very surprised that he said that. I can only surmise that he was trying to stamp in his players minds how important this game is. IMO, I think it probably is the two most talented teams. However, whichever wins, is going to have a hard time getting mentally prepared for the following week.
[/quote] I dont disagree with you, but if they win this game and have a prob getting ready for a State Semifinal game the next week something is wrong IMO.

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1348775" timestamp="1354599363"]
[quote author=Txdragon link=topic=107096.msg1348772#msg1348772 date=1354598940]
[/quote] I dont disagree with you, but if they win this game and have a prob getting ready for a State Semifinal game the next week something is wrong IMO.
[/quote]

Especially in Navasota's case..getting up mentally and physically for three straight tough challenges..i realize it is the state semi's but at 100%? Will be hard to do. Even the Mustangs after their game of the year (should we win), I think it would be hard to get up emotionally after a game like that no matter what. Guess what I am trying not so well to say is this will be an emotional, leave it all on the field type of game. Hopefully the winner will have something left in their tank.

[quote name="Txdragon" post="1348779" timestamp="1354600097"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=107096.msg1348775#msg1348775 date=1354599363]
[quote author=Txdragon link=topic=107096.msg1348772#msg1348772 date=1354598940]
[/quote]

Especially in Navasota's case..getting up mentally and physically for three straight tough challenges..i realize it is the state semi's but at 100%? Will be hard to do. Even the Mustangs after their game of the year (should we win), I think it would be hard to get up emotionally after a game like that no matter what. Guess what I am trying not so well to say is this will be an emotional, leave it all on the field type of game. Hopefully the winner will have something left in their tank.
[/quote]  8)

[b]West Orange-Stark football coach Cornel Thompson said his team will play for a state championship.

Not in three weeks, but on Friday.

Thompson, a longtime WO-S defensive coordinator who replaced former coach Dan Hooks following his retirement after the 2010 season, said the winner of the Class 3A Division II state quarterfinal between No. 4 state-ranked WO-S (13-0) and No. 1 Navasota (13-0) would win the state title.

Thompson said WO-S has lost four times to eventual state champions.

"Yates beat us in '85 and won the state championship, '95 and '96 La Marque beat us and won the state championship and '05 Wimberley beat us and won the state championship," Thompson said.

Added Thompson: "They don't call it the state championship, but you look back on it and say that was the real state championship game. Of course, they're not going to give you the trophy until you win Nos. 5 and 6, but this could be the game that you look back and say, 'That was the state championship game.'"[/b]

People read waaayyy to much into things.. He explained why he said it the way he did..
There are always those games that you look at and say we have to play like this is the state game. Put that in your kids heads to go out and fight hard and leave it all on the line. Just look at the Ned and Dawson game.. After the win it looked like it was a state game.. lol

Cornel was just stating that this game will determine who wins state.. Man this would have been an awesome state game though..

[quote name="magnus1on1" post="1348819" timestamp="1354627310"]
[b]West Orange-Stark football coach Cornel Thompson said his team will play for a state championship.

Not in three weeks, but on Friday.

Thompson, a longtime WO-S defensive coordinator who replaced former coach Dan Hooks following his retirement after the 2010 season, said the winner of the Class 3A Division II state quarterfinal between No. 4 state-ranked WO-S (13-0) and No. 1 Navasota (13-0) would win the state title.

Thompson said WO-S has lost four times to eventual state champions.

"Yates beat us in '85 and won the state championship, '95 and '96 La Marque beat us and won the state championship and '05 Wimberley beat us and won the state championship," Thompson said.

[color=red]Added Thompson: "They don't call it the state championship, but you look back on it and say that was the real state championship game. Of course, they're not going to give you the trophy until you win Nos. 5 and 6, but this could be the game that you look back and say, 'That was the state championship game.'"[/b][/color]

People read waaayyy to much into things.. He explained why he said it the way he did..
There are always those games that you look at and say we have to play like this is the state game. Put that in your kids heads to go out and fight hard and leave it all on the line. Just look at the Ned and Dawson game.. After the win it looked like it was a state game.. lol

Cornel was just stating that this game will determine who wins state.. Man this would have been an awesome state game though..
[/quote]

I agree.What's in red sums up what he ment.When we played Wemberley some of the Texan fans said the same.That if WO-S would have won they would have gone on to win state.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mmj0
    Newest Member
    mmj0