Class 3A playoff field to expand in 2013

[quote name="SFAJACK02" post="1308103" timestamp="1351016990"]
Why dont they just let everyone make it then. This is getting crazy!!! All about money these days.
[/quote]

Of course it's too many!! But really they're just giving the people what they want, more games for little Johnny and folks are more than willing to pay for it, especially if it's a "playoff" game. Kinda makes you wonder why not just allow one more regular season game (pre-district) so then EVERYBODY would get those extra games, oh those wouldn't be payoff, I mean playoff games.

The real kicker is now there will be TWO state champions in 3A. So why the heck not just reclassify everybody and make 1A through 10A so theres not 3ADIIpi%*GreenApple champ and 3ADI$#BlueDonut champ?

Didn't the district supers vote on this? Hey supers, when EVERYBODY'S special.........NOBODY is......

There has been 2 state champs in 3A since 1998 when they expanded the playoffs to 3 teams and created Div 1 and Div 2, this just puts 32 more teams in the playoffs.  The 3A sups will vote on splitting 3A into Div 1&2 before the season starts like 2A does.  Yes it waters down the playoffs and yes more teams with losing records will be in the playoffs but in the end the teams that are supposed to be playing for the title will be playing for the title.  It's not like 1-9 Podunk will enter the playoffs and finish 7-9 State Champs.

[quote name="no-look" post="1308355" timestamp="1351043529"]
[quote author=Bulldog92 link=topic=105125.msg1308342#msg1308342 date=1351042073]
This doesn't help Huntington at all. I hear they might send in a complaint against the UIL for taunting...
[/quote]Bd92, Why do you keep dissin on us man?
[/quote]

LOL...to be really honest, I didn't know anyone would really be offended and I'll stop. I know you guys have it tough over there and hope that the Red Devils (and Diboll) can improve because every team needs to be competitive in such a small district.

[quote name="Bulldog92" post="1308356" timestamp="1351044079"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=105125.msg1308355#msg1308355 date=1351043529]
[quote author=Bulldog92 link=topic=105125.msg1308342#msg1308342 date=1351042073]
This doesn't help Huntington at all. I hear they might send in a complaint against the UIL for taunting...
[/quote]Bd92, Why do you keep dissin on us man?
[/quote]

LOL...to be really honest, I didn't know anyone would really be offended and I'll stop. I know you guys have it tough over there and hope that the Red Devils (and Diboll) can improve because every team needs to be competitive in such a small district.
[/quote] :)

Call me old school, but I would rather see it go back to just the district champion making the playoffs than have a situation where 4 of 5 teams in a district will qualify for playoffs. Heck, there are a couple of district where all 4 teams will advance. You could actually have an 0-10 team make the playoffs!!!

Since the UIL has made their decision to have 4 teams, then they should make every district at minimum 7-8 team districts. Also, to give some incentive on winning district games and winning district championships, they should allow the #1 seeds in DI and DII from each district host their 1st round games.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1308405" timestamp="1351051126"]
Call me old school, but I would rather see it go back to just the district champion making the playoffs than have a situation where 4 of 5 teams in a district will qualify for playoffs. Heck, there are a couple of district where all 4 teams will advance. You could actually have an 0-10 team make the playoffs!!!

Since the UIL has made their decision to have 4 teams, then they should make every district at minimum 7-8 team districts. [b]Also, to give some incentive on winning district games and winning district championships, they should allow the #1 seeds in DI and DII from each district host their 1st round games[/b].
[/quote] 100% agree with this!

If the division is split before the season, would div I teams only be in a district with other div I teams? 
This will increase travel costs and time for each school.  Even if you combine districts 21 and 22 and then split them by school size, it increases the physical size of the district a lot.

Why add more cost to already over stretched school budgets?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1308405" timestamp="1351051126"]

Since the UIL has made their decision to have 4 teams, then they should make every district at minimum 7-8 team districts. Also, to give some incentive on winning district games and winning district championships, they should allow the #1 seeds in DI and DII from each district host their 1st round games.
[/quote]

Agreed. If I had a time machine, I'd just go back to the old 9-4a district and add WOS to it.

This is just the extension of rewarding mediocrity.  This means you will begin to see many more teams with losing records make the “playoffs”.  When this happens the debate of whether a team is decent or not by stating how many years in a row they made the playoffs will no longer be applicable. 

I agree with Aggiesarewe that the district champion should be the only school to move on – if not that then the first 2 teams in each district makes some sense but 4 with 4 teams you are just diluting the playoffs to an additional game for a lot of sub-par teams.

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1308409" timestamp="1351053119"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=105125.msg1308405#msg1308405 date=1351051126]

Since the UIL has made their decision to have 4 teams, then they should make every district at minimum 7-8 team districts. [b]Also, to give some incentive on winning district games and winning district championships, they should allow the #1 seeds in DI and DII from each district host their 1st round games[/b].
[/quote] 100% agree with this!
[/quote]

I like that idea!

[quote name="TROJANSWIN" post="1308411" timestamp="1351053623"]
If the division is split before the season, would div I teams only be in a district with other div I teams? 
This will increase travel costs and time for each school.  Even if you combine districts 21 and 22 and then split them by school size, it increases the physical size of the district a lot.

Why add more cost to already over stretched school budgets?
[/quote]

Yes, that is exactly right.  It is already that way in 2A and 1A, where schools have nominal "budgets" at best.

So it is really like having 7 classifications already (not including six-man).  And now they want 4 teams to advance to "playoffs".

What a joke!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder