Gauging Interest in New Playoff Challenge!!

Puma42

Would you be interested in participating in the Playoff Bracket Challenge?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in participating in the Playoff Bracket Challenge?

• Yes
    • No

Been thinking about doing a Playoff Bracket Challenge when the playoffs come around. If I can get enough people interested I'll run it. Here is the format, essentially the same format as the NCAA basketball bracket challenges.

Once all the playoff positions are solidified, just pick who you think will win each game all the way to the state champion. All brackets have to be [u]completed and turned in before the playoffs start[/u] though, no altering brackets during playoffs. You get 10 points for each team you pick that advances to Area, for each team you correctly pick to advance to Regionals you get 20 points, each team picked correctly to get to Quaterfinals is 40 points a piece, each team picked correctly to get to the Semi-Finals is 80 points a piece, each team picked correctly to get to the State Championship is worth 160 points a piece, and finally correctly picking the State Champion is worth 360 points. This would be the scoring format:

Area - ____ out of 320 points
Regionals - ____ out of 320 points
Quarterfinals - ____ out of 320 points
Semi-Finals - ____ out of 320 points
Finals - ____ out of 320 points
State Champion - ____ out of 320 points

Remember, the brackets are [b]completely[/b] filled out [b]before[/b] the playoffs start. This is not a week by week prediction, you fill your bracket out all the way to picking a State Champion. This makes it challenging, if you pick a team to advance to the Semi-Finals and they lose the first game and don't advance to Area you'll miss out on 10 points from Area, 20 points from Regionals, 40 points from Quarterfinals, and 80 points from Semi-Finals. Get the concept? If I can get enough people interested I'll run it on here.

[quote name="BigRed42" post="1305498" timestamp="1350739381"]
Been thinking about doing a Playoff Bracket Challenge when the playoffs come around. If I can get enough people interested I'll run it. Here is the format, essentially the same format as the NCAA basketball bracket challenges.

Once all the playoff positions are solidified, just pick who you think will win each game all the way to the state champion. All brackets have to be [u]completed and turned in before the playoffs start[/u] though, no altering brackets during playoffs. You get 10 points for each team you pick that advances to Area, for each team you correctly pick to advance to Regionals you get 20 points, each team picked correctly to get to Quaterfinals is 40 points a piece, each team picked correctly to get to the Semi-Finals is 80 points a piece, each team picked correctly to get to the State Championship is worth 160 points a piece, and finally correctly picking the State Champion is worth 360 points. This would be the scoring format:

Remember, the brackets are [b]completely[/b] filled out [b]before[/b] the playoffs start. This is not a week by week prediction, you fill your bracket out all the way to picking a State Champion. This makes it challenging, if you pick a team to advance to the Semi-Finals and they lose the first game and don't advance to Area you'll miss out on 10 points from Area, 20 points from Regionals, 40 points from Quarterfinals, and 80 points from Semi-Finals. Get the concept? If I can get enough people interested I'll run it on here.
[/quote]

I think this gives too much value to picking the state champion...

it'd be better if you get 10 points per round, and then smaller bonuses for the different distances like

each team you get right each round is worth 10

getting a area finals team is 50

finals four 100

championship game 150

but if you picked the state champion you'd actually get 210 points vs if you picked the loser you'd get 200 given the loss
just a thought

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="1306489" timestamp="1350851350"]
[quote author=BigRed42 link=topic=104949.msg1305498#msg1305498 date=1350739381]

[/quote]

I think this gives too much value to picking the state champion...

it'd be better if you get 10 points per round, and then smaller bonuses for the different distances like

each team you get right each round is worth 10

getting a area finals team is 50

finals four 100

championship game 150

but if you picked the state champion you'd actually get 210 points vs if you picked the loser you'd get 200 given the loss
just a thought
[/quote]

Well remember you aren't picking each week in the playoffs, you have to have to whole bracket filled out before the playoffs start. This is the same exact format that they use on ESPN.com for the NCAA bracket challenge, so I just carried it over. If most agree to have a different format we can go with that, I don't have a problem with it. The thing I like about how they do it on ESPN.com though is that it is plain and simple. 320 points per round, just divided up according to how many teams. Bonuses for different rounds could get a little complicated, but I'm up for the challenge if everyone else wants to do that. 8)

[quote name="BigRed42" post="1305498" timestamp="1350739381"]

[/quote]

Count me in too.

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1307720" timestamp="1350991816"]
Well this changes my whole picking stategy lol. I was picking to save teams for the playoffs lol. Looks like now I can playy big picks for the next few weeks. So is it official yet? Just want to make sure before I use up my big teams.
[/quote]

This challenge is a go. I knew people would be interested, it was just a matter of how many. And the Elimination Challenge is definitely not going into the playoffs.

[quote name="BigRed42" post="1307794" timestamp="1350998076"]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=104949.msg1307720#msg1307720 date=1350991816]
Well this changes my whole picking stategy lol. I was picking to save teams for the playoffs lol. Looks like now I can playy big picks for the next few weeks. So is it official yet? Just want to make sure before I use up my big teams.
[/quote]

This challenge is a go. I knew people would be interested, it was just a matter of how many. And the Elimination Challenge is definitely not going into the playoffs.
[/quote]
Alright thank you 8)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin