1. Nederland    At least till someone proves other wise
2. Vidor          It's their time to make some noise
3. Ozen          They have been pretty good since midway thru last season
4. Central        They have some athletes if they can get it together
5. Livingston    one stud for sure don't know about the over all team play yet
6. LCM            can they surprise some teams this year
7. PNG            Early district schedule could build some confidence
8. Lumberton    could be a long year

I think Nederland and Vidor will stay at the top, #3 thru #7 could all have a shot at the playoffs, not many districts can say that 7 out of 8 teams really have a shot at the playoffs.

[quote name="football04" post="1272701" timestamp="1347736913"]
I thought someone from PNG would have something to say about being so low but I guess after last night  it's pretty close unless they can take LCM.
[/quote]Who other than Ned and Vidor can even dream about the playoffs?  3rd and 4th place team could have a losing record in this district and that is not because you have 7 strong teams.  You have two strong is all. 19 4a has at least 5 legit teams that could go playoffs and it will be a dog fight for the 4th place team.  Just saying...

[quote name="JohnSmith" post="1272735" timestamp="1347739071"]
[quote author=football04 link=topic=103164.msg1272701#msg1272701 date=1347736913]
I thought someone from PNG would have something to say about being so low but I guess after last night  it's pretty close unless they can take LCM.
[/quote]Who other than Ned and Vidor can even dream about the playoffs?  3rd and 4th place team could have a losing record in this district and that is not because you have 7 strong teams.  You have two strong is all. 19 4a has at least 5 legit teams that could go playoffs and it will be a dog fight for the 4th place team.  Just saying...
[/quote]
We are only two strong?
I seem to remember in last year's playoffs 19 4a was 1-3 vs 20-4a.
and three of our teams went three rounds deep.

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1272901" timestamp="1347746515"]
sleep on Livingston if yall want.  ;) you'll see.
[/quote]I don't think anyone is counting Livingston out but who do you put them in front of? I do think Vidor and Ned are clearly better at this point in the season and after that it's a toss up in 20-4A. I do giveNed the slight advantage right now only because they are the defending champs but we will see in 2 weeks.

[quote name="Bobby Boucher" post="1273045" timestamp="1347753551"]
Im thinking the Ned vs Vidor matchup in 2 weeks will be for the District Crown.

Does Vidor have what it takes to win their 1st Championship?
[/quote]

I do disagree with that.
I do believe the winner will be set to make a good run at district title.

However, every game for Vidor/Nederland after this, will be a hard fought "Win"

Every team in the district is ready to prove that they are better than both Nederland and Vidor.  So on any night, an upset could happen. 

Nothing is settled by any means in the first week of district play.

[quote name="thedogs1987" post="1273050" timestamp="1347753845"]
[quote author=Bobby Boucher link=topic=103164.msg1273045#msg1273045 date=1347753551]

Does Vidor have what it takes to win their 1st Championship?
[/quote]

I do disagree with that.
I do believe the winner will be set to make a good run at district title.

However, every game for Vidor/Nederland after this, will be a hard fought "Win"

Every team in the district is ready to prove that they are better than both Nederland and Vidor.  So on any night, an upset could happen. 

Nothing is settled by any means in the first week of district play.
[/quote]
i agree. both teams are under the gun reguardless. Good luck to both!

[quote name="Bobby Boucher" post="1272898" timestamp="1347746360"]
Ned & Vidor should secure #1 & #2 easily. I also see Ozen making the cut as well. Im gonna go out on a limb here and predict Livingston getting that #4 spot.
[/quote]
The game between Central and Livingston will be huge for playoff hopes, I think right now it's a 3 team race for 2 playoff spots.  I don't see PNG, LCM or Lumberton doing much in district play.

[quote name="Bobby Boucher" post="1273045" timestamp="1347753551"]

[size=10pt][b]Does Vidor have what it takes to win their 1st Championship?[/b][/size]
[/quote]

I don't think it is their first championship. In the current 20-4A but I believe they went to the playoffs in the early 60's and late 70's and back then, only the DC went to the playoffs.

Surely someone will pop up with the right answer.

[quote name="tvc" post="1273510" timestamp="1347785118"]
[quote author=Bobby Boucher link=topic=103164.msg1273045#msg1273045 date=1347753551]

[size=10pt][b]Does Vidor have what it takes to win their 1st Championship?[/b][/size]
[/quote]

I don't think it is their first championship. In the current 20-4A but I believe they went to the playoffs in the early 60's and late 70's and back then, only the DC went to the playoffs.

[/quote]

I believe in 1978 Vidor was Co-Champs and we played Aldine Nimitz over in the Astrodome. That's as far back as I know, not sure about the deep run in the 60's.

Cant crown a district champ before district play has even started, however, cant argue with a single post. I do look for Nederland and Vidor to set the pace for the title with Ozen & Livingston in the mix. I'm still not giving up on my Indians, but the've got a lot to do to run with the pack.

Oh those nasty stats/gm summaries.Only last yr Livingston was atop the Setx poll & 5-0 till Bull Mayes was out for the year.Still Liv competed rather well w/o da bull and you're trying to crown a dist champ between Ned/Vidor before 1 dist gm played.Well I'm laying it out better not sleep on Liv w/30 srs.Reminder:Liv/Ned gm was 14-14 till 7:41 in the gm.Ned won 28-14 but Liv had more tot yds.Next=Liv/Vidor & Liv led 21-14 @half,21-21 end of 3rd,35-27 final Vidor.

[quote name="Pirate88" post="1273541" timestamp="1347802663"]
[quote author=tvc link=topic=103164.msg1273510#msg1273510 date=1347785118]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe in 1978 Vidor was Co-Champs and we played Aldine Nimitz over in the Astrodome. That's as far back as I know, not sure about the deep run in the 60's.
[/quote]
I'll pop up with the right answer. In 1964, (I know, a long time ago), Vidor won district 9-AAA, then won in bi-district over Channelview and quarterfinals over Lamar Consolidated.  Tied San Marcos 21-21 in semifinals.  No OT then, penetrations, (inside the 20 yard line), were first tie-breaker, then first downs, then total yardage.  San Marcos advanced 5-4 on penetrations.  Vidor held a decisive edge in both first downs and yardage.  San Marcos lost in the championship game to the Bill Bradley-led (now Lamar defensive coordinator) Palestine Wildcats.
1978 was an outright district championship win.  Beat PNG at their homecoming that year and beat French the last game of the season to clinch the title.
BTW, I don't necessarily think the winner of the Vidor-Ned. game wins the district title, but they will have an advantage.  Ozen, Central, Livingston will have a say and PNG, LCM can not be overlooked.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="Tim Riggins" post="1273658" timestamp="1347818604"]
[quote author=Pirate88 link=topic=103164.msg1273541#msg1273541 date=1347802663]
[quote author=tvc link=topic=103164.msg1273510#msg1273510 date=1347785118]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I'll pop up with the right answer. In 1964, (I know, a long time ago), Vidor won district 9-AAA, then won in bi-district over Channelview and quarterfinals over Lamar Consolidated.  Tied San Marcos 21-21 in semifinals.  No OT then, penetrations, (inside the 20 yard line), were first tie-breaker, then first downs, then total yardage.  San Marcos advanced 5-4 on penetrations.  Vidor held a decisive edge in both first downs and yardage.  San Marcos lost in the championship game to the Bill Bradley-led (now Lamar defensive coordinator) Palestine Wildcats.
1978 was an outright district championship win.  Beat PNG at their homecoming that year and beat French the last game of the season to clinch the title.
BTW, I don't necessarily think the winner of the Vidor-Ned. game wins the district title, but they will have an advantage.  Ozen, Central, Livingston will have a say and PNG, LCM can not be overlooked.
[/quote]

A very good, knowledgeable post, Tim.  But please tell me that you consider PN-G and LC-M as no more than possible SPOILERS.  Surely you don't think that those two squads have a chance to win district, do you?

As I stated before the season and believe that it's beginning to prove out, 20-4A is not very good this year as a whole like it has been in the past several years. The top two in Black and Gold are very good teams who could have nice playoff runs, but the battle between 3 thru 7 will produce a couple of lambs to the slaughter for 19-4A!

[quote name="Razor" post="1274045" timestamp="1347885113"]
vidor is undefeated so therefore, the clear #1 as far as power rankings go
[/quote]

Regardless of the smack talk, Jeff has us playing good football in every aspect of the game right now; I think we deserve a little credit for once. Looking forward to the showdown with Nederville in the Boneyard.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder