1. 1. Who wins it?

• Vidor
    • Clear Brook

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1267778" timestamp="1347398197"]
They run a triple option Rob.......a grind it out run the clock offense.....their fullback is a tough kid that can outrun alot of people if he gets into the defensive backfield but he does most his damage between the tackles.
[/quote]

Gonna be a good matchup...we pursue well.

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1267735" timestamp="1347396234"]
[quote author=daddy23 link=topic=102784.msg1267729#msg1267729 date=1347395789]
I think it is very hard to compare 2 teams so early in the season.  But isn't that what makes message boards! 

[b]I had heard on this board that Sante Fe and Clear Brook were competitive in their scrimmage[/b].  From what I was able to see, that was not the case.  Clear Brook was clearly the better team.  And while I know that it is only a scrimmage, I would expect a much better team than Sante Fe on Friday night.

One other thing to take away from the scrimmage was that the offense and the defense wore different colors for Clear Brook.  And for most of the night (and even then with rare exception), the players only played on Offense or Defense.  This is a big difference for a 5A team vs Vidor.  Vidor will have a number of players seeing significant time on both
sides of the ball.  This may be a big difference come crunch time.

Clear Brook almost beat LP.  CB attempted a 50 yd FG at the end of regulation.  And from the best I could tell it was just short a few yards.  CB did a good job of containing the LP offense.  And the LP offense used a lot of misdirection which could bode well for CB against Vidor.  In fact, of the 2 TDs that I saw CB give up in regulation, one of them was about a 40 yard, Half Back pass to a wide open WR (and I do not think that Vidor has that one in the playbook).  CB attempted their own HB pass with less success.  But LP moved the ball seemingly throughout the night.  CB came up big in the Red Zone with key stops and Takeaways. 

I have not seen any of the Seven Lakes game.

I think CB will be the fastest team that we have played so far this year and probably a little bit bigger.  They have 2 good RBs and from what I could tell multiple QBs that play as well.  There defense is big, fast and aggressive.  I thought #8, a defensive end, was quite the player.  It seemed like LP ran away from him more and more as the night went on. 

But I would not count Vidor out, at all.  Neither of Vidor's game have been even as close as the score indicates.  CB is better than SF or BC, but CB needs to be about 40 points better than both of them for this to be close. 

Vidor is healthy.  And they have not played as good as they can play yet.  So far, the turnovers and mistakes have been easily overcome.  That may not be the case on Friday. 

If I had to make a prediction, I would say that both Kickers will be involved in the game on Friday.  And that both Kickers will have 2 or 3 FGs.  I think Vidor will be able to eek out 1 more TD than CB, and so I will say Vidor will win 27-23.
[/quote]
That was me that said that but I thought I prefaced it by saying I only saw about 15 plays before I left. CB ended up wearing them out.

Believe me, I will not discount Vidor at all but this will not be Santa Fe either
[/quote]

That actually makes sense.  Sante Fe moved the ball quite well in their first 2 series on offense.  I think they would have scored had they not fumbled.  But as the night went on, CB was clearly the better team.

[quote name="Eagle11" post="1267778" timestamp="1347398197"]
They run a triple option Rob.......a grind it out run the clock offense.....their fullback is a tough kid that can outrun alot of people if he gets into the defensive backfield but he does most his damage between the tackles.
[/quote]

They do run the triple option.  But I thought they had more success running to the outside than in the middle.  And they threw the ball more than I thought they would.  If I had to guess, I think CB threw the ball about 20% of the plays I saw.  That is a little more than Vidor throws.  ;)

Good luck to the Pirates. Clear Brook plays in a 5A district with Clear Lake, Dickinson, ect.....they are no push over team! They usually claim one of the playoff spots out of that district. Given the fact that they barely lost to LaPorte.....who is awfully good. They will be ready for that Wing T offense! Again, I wish Vidor the best of luck, but my gut says Clear Brook in this one, especially since its a home game for them. This will be a huge measuring stick for Vidor, and will go a long way in helping them prapare for a tough district. Good luck!

[quote name="mypooh" post="1268481" timestamp="1347470735"]
Clear Brook hung with LP so this will be the toughest game for Vidor so far this year. It's a nice game to have pre dostrict. I actually picked Vidor to lose here but I think it helps them more in district to have played this game.
[/quote]

I agree this is the toughest non district game for Vidor. My main concern is that the Pirates go into district healthy if they can do that then win or lose this games helps them.

[quote name="daddy23" post="1268065" timestamp="1347416050"]
[quote author=Eagle11 link=topic=102784.msg1267778#msg1267778 date=1347398197]
[/quote]

They do run the triple option.  But I thought they had more success running to the outside than in the middle.  And they threw the ball more than I thought they would.  If I had to guess, I think CB threw the ball about 20% of the plays I saw.  That is a little more than Vidor throws.  ;)
[/quote]

Now that I have seen the Seven Lakes game, I want to modify my statement.  ;)

The SL game had much less passing by CB.  And they ran inside much more than in the other games.  And their FB #22 was very good inside the tackles.  It appeared to me that SL was committed to taking away the Pitchman.  Maybe, as result, they ran more inside.  I think they look at what the D is taking away and go with the other option (but isn't that the point of the Triple Option).  And the QB had some nice runs when nothing else was open as well.

Another thing that I saw CB use much more in their last game was the fake snap.  They will set up in formation and then send the HB in motion to simulate the start of the play.  But after a few steps, the back will stop his motion, the QB will come out from under center and they will all look to the sidelines.  This gives the coaches a chance to read the Defense.  It also led to multiple Offsides penalties against SL.  The coaches would then call a play and they would run it.  I imagine that this was being done from the No Huddle, but I did not see that for certain.  It will force the Vidor D to stay on their toes and not assume anything from the Offense.  We see lots of Spread Offenses use this tactic, but I have just not seen many Triple Option Offenses, and I was surprised by this wrinkle.

Sorry for all the details, but I am just having fun watching a little HS football!

[quote name="incognito" post="1268505" timestamp="1347472709"]
[quote author=mypooh link=topic=102784.msg1268481#msg1268481 date=1347470735]
Clear Brook hung with LP so this will be the toughest game for Vidor so far this year. It's a nice game to have pre dostrict. I actually picked Vidor to lose here but I think it helps them more in district to have played this game.
[/quote]

I agree this is the toughest non district game for Vidor. My main concern is that the Pirates go into district healthy if they can do that then win or lose this games helps them.
[/quote]

I agree with this totally. We come out of this game healthy we win no matter what. Good test on the road.

Getting to League City is going to put Vidor fans in traffic no matter what way you go. 146 south to Kemah will be traffic thru Seabrook and over the Kemah bridge. Going 225 to the beltway then over to 45 south will be traffic as well. At least on 146 south there are some good restaurants along the way

There is a lot of construction both ways.

I would say the quickest way would be taking 146 to Kemah and taking a right on Marina Bay Dr (FM2094).

There is construction either way that slows things down, but 146 isn't quite as bad on Friday evening.

I live 1/2 mile from 146 right before the construction. If you leave Vidor by 5 you should be in your seats before the school song.

[quote name="lpbulldogblog" post="1269258" timestamp="1347558733"]
[b]There is a lot of construction both ways.[/b]

I would say the quickest way would be taking 146 to Kemah and taking a right on Marina Bay Dr (FM2094).

There is construction either way that slows things down, but 146 isn't quite as bad on Friday evening.

I live 1/2 mile from 146 right before the construction. If you leave Vidor by 5 you should be in your seats before the school song.
[/quote]
still? man! thanks for the info.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder