COLDSPRING-OAKHURST AT NAVASOTA BROADCAST/NAVASOTA WINS! 36-8

WOSgrad

[quote name="T-Dawd" post="1264547" timestamp="1347083503"]
I was at the game and I was disgusted at what I saw. At what point did we forget how to tackle? And how to block? There's people out there that have no business being out there. During kickoffs and punts they would get down there fast just to let them go right by. The only bright spot was getting to the qb. Coaching was horrendous. Please do not let #2 touch the ball anymore. Put #15 on jv. Coldspring will get hammered next week if we play like the last 2.
[/quote] The goal is State. let them grow up. yall will be fine.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Kvillecats" post="1264549" timestamp="1347083601"]
[quote author=T-Dawd link=topic=102669.msg1264547#msg1264547 date=1347083503]
I was at the game and I was disgusted at what I saw. At what point did we forget how to tackle? And how to block? There's people out there that have no business being out there. During kickoffs and punts they would get down there fast just to let them go right by. The only bright spot was getting to the qb. Coaching was horrendous. Please do not let #2 touch the ball anymore. Put #15 on jv. Coldspring will get hammered next week if we play like the last 2.
[/quote]  ;D ;D ;D ;D...its gonna happen my friend.
[/quote]
Yea I know.

[/quote]
Don't forget, they are still kids.  It certainly did not come down to just 2 players causing this loss.  If the Trojans are going to make it deep in the playoffs again #2 is going to have to not only touch the ball, but play a major roll in carrying the football and catching kicks.  The other two running backs #20 and #24 are too important to our defense to spend all night running the ball.  We had a bad night.  Navasota is a great team.  Forrest Gump said It Happens Sometimes.  This game was a good wake up call for everyone and we will see how they respond next week.  If we come out and put a whoopin on LaMarque everyone will think wonders of what the coaches have done in a week.  At some point it would be nice to get some sort of passing game going though.  On one play tonight our tight end #85 split out wide and was completely left alone before the snap and never covered.  He was waving wildly and the QB just didn't see him.  Could have walked into the end zone, and would have made the game 15-15.  Might have changed everything.  Next week will tell more of the story on what to expect in the middle to late rounds of the playoffs.  Good news is we shouldn't have to play Navasota again this year.

One of the biggest problems is a lot of guys are out of shape.  Especially on the offensive line.  I don't where this theory of cutting every play came in, but it has to go.  Against a quick athletic defensive like Navasota u can't cut them u have to stay on ur feet and put a body on them.  Our defense looks good are offense needs a lot of help.  Whoever said about the Kirbyville game a few years a go is right on point.  I really felt we could beat them and with that loss the teams mind got right.  My hope with this loss these guys get serious and practice harder and get themselves in shape.  I don't believe Navasota is that much better than us.  I believe if we play like we are capable that we can beat them.  These kids need to get it going. 

Navasota is a very good team but CS definitely looks beatable now. Tough game next week and Huffman is going  to be coming up in district. Perhaps a glimmer of hope for Huffman.

[quote name="T-Dawd" post="1264691" timestamp="1347110843"]
I'm glad we didn't play Huffman. Probably would have lost the way we played.
[/quote]Take it easy CS will be fine. Just taking a little while to put it all together. I think they go far in the playoffs.

[quote name="texaggies07" post="1264563" timestamp="1347084752"]
One of the biggest problems is a lot of guys are out of shape.  Especially on the offensive line.  [b] I don't where this theory of cutting every play came in, but it has to go.  Against a quick athletic defensive like Navasota u can't cut them u have to stay on ur feet and put a body on them.[/b]  Our defense looks good are offense needs a lot of help.  Whoever said about the Kirbyville game a few years a go is right on point.  I really felt we could beat them and with that loss the teams mind got right.  My hope with this loss these guys get serious and practice harder and get themselves in shape.  I don't believe Navasota is that much better than us.  I believe if we play like we are capable that we can beat them.  These kids need to get it going.
[/quote]
They lose one game to a very good navasota team and y'all go off screaming at the scheme barbay has had forever. Backside always cuts. Coldsprings has always cut like that.

[quote name="CMurder75" post="1264893" timestamp="1347126675"]
[quote author=texaggies07 link=topic=102669.msg1264563#msg1264563 date=1347084752]
One of the biggest problems is a lot of guys are out of shape.  Especially on the offensive line.  [b] I don't where this theory of cutting every play came in, but it has to go.  Against a quick athletic defensive like Navasota u can't cut them u have to stay on ur feet and put a body on them.[/b]  Our defense looks good are offense needs a lot of help.  Whoever said about the Kirbyville game a few years a go is right on point.  I really felt we could beat them and with that loss the teams mind got right.  My hope with this loss these guys get serious and practice harder and get themselves in shape.  I don't believe Navasota is that much better than us.  I believe if we play like we are capable that we can beat them.  These kids need to get it going.
[/quote]
They lose one game to a very good navasota team and y'all go off screaming at the scheme barbay has had forever. Backside always cuts. Coldsprings has always cut like that.
[/quote]
I think they were referring to some of the blocks on the outside from pulling lineman.  There were a lot of missed blocks due to trying to cut block out in the open and flat out missing.  Losing to Navasota is not the end of the season.  They are a very good team, but CS played bad last night, and in my opinion Navasota was a more physical team, and wanted it more.  Of course in the words of an old Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach, "we didn't block well, but we made up for it by not tackling"

I was at the game and I was disgusted at what I saw. At what point did we forget how to tackle? And how to block? There's people out there that have no business being out there. During kickoffs and punts they would get down there fast just to let them go right by. The only bright spot was getting to the qb.[b] Coaching was horrendous. Please do not let #2 touch the ball anymore. Put #15 on jv.[/b] Coldspring will get hammered next week if we play like the last 2.
[/quote]

I could be mistaken, but was the last CS predistrict loss to Kirbyville in 2010 in week Zero?  Could be wrong, but based on a couple post, that's what it seems like.  This is some kind of support.  Little harsh to be calling individuals and coaches out after losing to the number 2 team in the state in 3A.  Pretty high standards I guess over there.  Probably some for sale signs in the coaches yards too!

[quote name="stucky's dad" post="1264922" timestamp="1347128163"]
I was at the game and I was disgusted at what I saw. At what point did we forget how to tackle? And how to block? There's people out there that have no business being out there. During kickoffs and punts they would get down there fast just to let them go right by. The only bright spot was getting to the qb.[b] Coaching was horrendous. Please do not let #2 touch the ball anymore. Put #15 on jv.[/b] Coldspring will get hammered next week if we play like the last 2.
[/quote]

I could be mistaken, but was [b]the last CS predistrict loss to Kirbyville in 2010 in week Zero[/b]?  Could be wrong, but based on a couple post, that's what it seems like.  This is some kind of support.  Little harsh to be calling individuals and coaches out after losing to the number 2 team in the state in 3A.  Pretty high standards I guess over there.  Probably some for sale signs in the coaches yards too!
[/quote]
Kirbyville was the last predistrict loss.  Helped push the team harder and we later beat them in the playoffs and went on to Dallas. 
Part of the problem is the last 2 years have been so successful that everyone is starting to expect teams to lay down.  When they don't roll over for us, the fans don't know how to respond.  We have some great fans, but there are some that hang their heads very quickly and start heading for the gate as soon as we start to lose. We have quite a few fair weather fans, and they are only there to watch the boys win.  I even heard one of the high school girls tell some CS people that were leaving early in the 4th quarter "don't come back when we start winning". 

[quote name="TROJANSWIN" post="1264941" timestamp="1347129528"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=102669.msg1264938#msg1264938 date=1347129391]
Told yall....  Navasota is going to win it all.
[/quote]
I'm a believer.
They definitely deserved the win last night.
[/quote]

Navasota is always good, but this class is really something special.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="TROJANSWIN" post="1264941" timestamp="1347129528"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=102669.msg1264938#msg1264938 date=1347129391]
Told yall....  Navasota is going to win it all.
[/quote]
I'm a believer.
They definitely deserved the win last night.
[/quote]

Hey, I picked 'em too!  Navasota at home, even in a down year, is still a load to carry.  Needless to say, this isn't a down year. ;)

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="TROJANSWIN" post="1264934" timestamp="1347129216"]
[quote author=stucky's dad link=topic=102669.msg1264922#msg1264922 date=1347128163]
[/quote]

I could be mistaken, but was [b]the last CS predistrict loss to Kirbyville in 2010 in week Zero[/b]?  Could be wrong, but based on a couple post, that's what it seems like.  This is some kind of support.  Little harsh to be calling individuals and coaches out after losing to the number 2 team in the state in 3A.  Pretty high standards I guess over there.  Probably some for sale signs in the coaches yards too!
[/quote]
Kirbyville was the last predistrict loss.  Helped push the team harder and we later beat them in the playoffs and went on to Dallas. 
Part of the problem is the last 2 years have been so successful that everyone is starting to expect teams to lay down.  When they don't roll over for us, the fans don't know how to respond.  We have some great fans, but there are some that hang their heads very quickly and start heading for the gate as soon as we start to lose. We have quite a few fair weather fans, and they are only there to watch the boys win.  I even heard one of the high school girls tell some CS people that were leaving early in the 4th quarter "don't come back when we start winning".
[/quote]

Agreed - and you just heard from a BIG "Hang your header."  ::)

That was a bit harsh on my part and I am sorry for that. Just frustrated at what I saw. When Kirbyville beat us, we had a brand new soph. qb. and a young team. These guys have played top notch last year with the exception of a few youngsters. Numerous occasions we could have laid them out, especially on punt returns and short passes. Turnovers and yards after contact did us in. Need to take Ed Peveto tackling drills and gassers. I expect improvement next week. Mentally and especially phisically.

We lost a couple of key players to graduation, but as a whole this years team should be more experienced.  This team is loaded with seniors that have been deep in the playoffs twice.
The biggest difference between this year and last is the pre-district schedule.  All 4A teams except for Navasota and LaMarque, who realistically could be the D1 and D2 3A state champions this year.  Last year's schedule was much easier, and turned out to be much easier than we expected.  Crockett and Kirbyville should have been our tough games last year and turned out to be less than expected. 
This year is going to be tougher, but should be better preparation for the playoffs. 
I know we shouldn't look too far ahead, but realistically Huffman should be the only real competition for the district championship, and then we go D2 in the playoffs.  Next week's game with LaMarque will mean more than Navasota.  There is a good chance we will see LaMarque again in the playoffs.  After talking to some of the coaches last night after the game I have a feeling the boys will be ready on Friday.  We have one of the best coaching staffs in the state (yes I am partial), but I have worked with several groups of coaches in SE Texas over the years, and I really believe this is one of the best staffs around.  Everyone better enjoy the CS loss this week, because there will not be many more opportunities for it this year.

I'm not turning on the Trojans or anything to the sort.  When talking about the cut blocking I was referring to exactly that about the pulling.  I have never been a fan of cut blocking.  If u miss u don't have much of a chance to recover.  As a former line coach and player I just pointed out some things we need to fix.  If anyone really knew me and who I was they know I would never turn my back on the Trojans.  I'm no fair weather either. 

Last night's game proved alot.  One, Navasota is the real deal. They are a great team!! hands down they gave us a good ol butt whooping.  Thanks, Navasota !! Two, it exposed what our weakness is.  Hopefully, after last night the coaches know what areas to work on and come back friday and play like a state ranked team. We need to work on our secondary. We have to be able to defend the pass.  The last 2 yrs its been the pass that have beat us. (Catherage and Wimberly)  Three, we can not be a one deminsional team.  We HAVE to find a passing game SOMEWHERE.  We don't have to go to the spread but we need to be able to pass to keep the drive going.  I hated to see MY TROJANS lose. We all did. But theres not a doubt in my mind that we will bounce back (like kirbyville's loss) and play like the team eveyone know us to be.  I'm not beating my chest saying we are the greatest, But sometimes a butt whooping will bring out the greatness in someone.  I'm willing to bet that it was a long quiet drive back to coldspring last night.  Probably could have heard a pin drop on that bus.  But i bet everyone on that bus last night replayed that game in their heads and thought about eveything they did wrong or what they could have done better. And that is what will make them better !!  Once again thanks Navasota !!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    julianhudges
    Newest Member
    julianhudges