SETX Top Games List

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1252997" timestamp="1346123230"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=102147.msg1252980#msg1252980 date=1346121102]
If yall notice one particular game is not on here and its a shame it wont get played for the next 2 years.

Jasper vs Silsbee
[/quote]

Real shame! But it wasn't on the Tiger's end. ;)
[/quote]Yeah, the person thats really at fault jumped ship and high-tailed it outta Jasper.

3 games that would have made my list  is Newton vs EC, Dayton vs SC and Memorial vs Channelview

you may say why am i placing Memorial vs Channelview, Channelview has beaten Memorial recently and to add to it the game is at home in PA. Channelview always has its best game of the year versus Memorial and the Titans always struggle with the Falcons.

Dayton vs SC might be for the district title. Other than LP vs PAM week 10 this would be one of the games to go to November 9th.

Newton vs EC *self-explanatory* nothing else needs to be said.

[quote name="OHSNG68" post="1253244" timestamp="1346174438"]
Why is everybody forgetting about the Central vs. Ozen Game aka "The Soul Bowl". And i'm pretty sure it will have twice the fans as any of those other games. Just sayin!!!!
[/quote]

No offense, but Mid-County Madness will probably have 3,000+ more fans than the "Soul Bowl." Even if your game sells out, the Butch Bowl only holds ~10,000 fans. MCM will definitely sell out and Indian Stadium seats 13,000. Not to mention that PN-G and Nederland probably have the two largest fanbases in the area (PN-G's is one of the largest in the state).

Ozen and Central will play a great game, no doubt. But to say that it will out-sell MCM is reaching.

[quote name="OHSNG68" post="1253244" timestamp="1346174438"]
Why is everybody forgetting about the Central vs. Ozen Game aka "The Soul Bowl". And i'm pretty sure it will have twice the fans as any of those other games. Just sayin!!!!
[/quote]Because it's the PA News.  They cater to MC.  Should be self explanatory.[font=courier][/font]

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1253248" timestamp="1346174913"]
[quote author=OHSNG68 link=topic=102147.msg1253244#msg1253244 date=1346174438]
[/quote]

No offense, but Mid-County Madness will probably have 3,000+ more fans than the "Soul Bowl." Even if your game sells out, the Butch Bowl only holds ~10,000 fans. MCM will definitely sell out and Indian Stadium seats 13,000. Not to mention that PN-G and Nederland probably have the two largest fanbases in the area (PN-G's is one of the largest in the state).

Ozen and Central will play a great game, no doubt. But to say that it will out-sell MCM is reaching.
[/quote]2 things here. 

1. The butch holds more rans than it's capacity.  There is a lot of standing room. 

2. The list is 'top games', not highest attendence.  Personally, I would prefer the game that shows better football vs. people in attendence.  More people in the stands don't necessarily make it the better game to attend. 

PS.  The Central/Ozen halftime is unlike any other.  ;) 8)

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1253250" timestamp="1346175069"]
[/quote]Because it's the PA News.  They cater to MC.  Should be self explanatory.[font=courier][/font]
[/quote]I agree the PA News doesn't even cover Memorial's Sports the only High Shcool in Port Arthur. Beaumont Enterprise has more sports new about Memorial than PA Snooze does. They should reconsider naming it the Nederland/Port Neches Snooze

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1253255" timestamp="1346175277"]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=102147.msg1253248#msg1253248 date=1346174913]
[/quote]

[/quote]2 things here. 

1. The butch holds more rans than it's capacity.  There is a lot of standing room. 

2. The list is 'top games', not highest attendence.  Personally, I would prefer the game that shows better football vs. people in attendence.  More people in the stands don't necessarily make it the better game to attend. 

[/quote]

Ok. What's the SRO capacity? And are you sure they can sell SRO? PN-G's played more than one sold out game at the Butch and I have yet to see an SRO area. A lot of schools (PN-G and Nederland among them) that used to sell SRO tickets stopped thanks to tighter fire ordinances.

I don't know if it will be a more competitive game or not. After the way Central played last year, that's really hard to say. And Ozen really didn't come into its prime until late in the season (remember, they barely made the playoffs), so we don't know that they'll be playing to their full potential either. Granted, it's a rivalry game and both teams have a lot of talent, but talent doesn't always mean a competitive game (just ask LSU ;D) and the Orange Bowl (LC-M vs. WO-S) is technically a rivalry game as well.

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1253267" timestamp="1346176021"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=102147.msg1253255#msg1253255 date=1346175277]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=102147.msg1253248#msg1253248 date=1346174913]
[/quote]

[/quote]2 things here. 

[/quote]

Ok. What's the SRO capacity? And are you sure they can sell SRO? PN-G's played more than one sold out game at the Butch and I have yet to see an SRO area. A lot of schools (PN-G and Nederland among them) that used to sell SRO tickets stopped thanks to tighter fire ordinances.

I don't know if it will be a more competitive game or not. After the way Central played last year, that's really hard to say. And Ozen really didn't come into its prime until late in the season (remember, they barely made the playoffs), so we don't know that they'll be playing to their full potential either. Granted, it's a rivalry game and both teams have a lot of talent, but talent doesn't always mean a competitive game (just ask LSU ;D) and the Orange Bowl (LC-M vs. WO-S) is technically a rivalry game as well.
[/quote] Standing room for Beamont team's fans, not MC fans.  8) ;) :D

Overall talent across the board.  Central suffered with injury issues.  Even though we were horrible in the season, we played Ozen to 1 score loss (Ozen scored with less than 5 minutes left for the go ahead score).    Central is always loaded with talent and this year's Ozen team will be probably the most athletic team in Southeast Texas.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1253308" timestamp="1346179528"]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=102147.msg1253267#msg1253267 date=1346176021]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=102147.msg1253255#msg1253255 date=1346175277]
[/quote]

[/quote]2 things here. 

[/quote]

Overall talent across the board.  Central suffered with injury issues.  Even though we were horrible in the season, we played Ozen to 1 score loss (Ozen scored with less than 5 minutes left for the go ahead score).    Central is always loaded with talent and [b]this year's Ozen team will be probably the most athletic team in [s]Southeast Texas[/s] 20-4A.[/b]
[/quote]had to fix that for ya.  ;) WO-S and PAM will be a tadbit more athletic.

Standing room for Beamont team's fans, not MC fans.  8) ;) :D

Overall talent across the board.  Central suffered with injury issues.  Even though we were horrible in the season, we played Ozen to 1 score loss (Ozen scored with less than 5 minutes left for the go ahead score).    Central is always loaded with talent and this year's Ozen team will be probably the most athletic team in Southeast Texas.
[/quote]

No SRO for MC fans? Even though every one of those tickets would sell? Plus you'd sell two more turkey legs for every person? Man, between this and the Walker thing, y'all just have really bad business sense. ;) ;D

There's no doubt that they're loaded with talent and it could be the most competitive game played all year. I'm just saying, Mid-County Madness is always a nail-biter and the Mid-County fans are always going to set the season attendance record with that game. Even if the "Soul Bowl" sells out plus a thousand SRO tickets on each side, Indian Stadium would still hold more people.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1253411" timestamp="1346187765"]
[quote]No SRO for MC fans? Even though every one of those tickets would sell? Plus you'd sell two more turkey legs for every person? Man, between this and the Walker thing, y'all just have really bad business sense.[/quote]

Now you are just wrong for that!  ;D ;D
[/quote]

;D

Guest BOBCAT
[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1253248" timestamp="1346174913"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

PN-G bamakid seems to like tooting his own horn all the time  ;D

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1253394" timestamp="1346186844"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=102147.msg1253308#msg1253308 date=1346179528]
Standing room for Beamont team's fans, not MC fans.  8) ;) :D

[/quote]

No SRO for MC fans? Even though every one of those tickets would sell? Plus you'd sell two more turkey legs for every person? Man, between this and the Walker thing, y'all just have really bad business sense. ;) ;D

[b]There's no doubt that they're loaded with talent and it could be the most competitive game played all year. I'm just saying, Mid-County Madness is always a nail-biter and the Mid-County fans are always going to set the season attendance record with that game. Even if the "Soul Bowl" sells out plus a thousand SRO tickets on each side, Indian Stadium would still hold more people.[/b]
[/quote]So, with all that said, explain to me again how the MCM would be the 'better game'.  Do 'more people' and 'more turkey leg sales' account for a better game? 

[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=102147.msg1253267#msg1253267 date=1346176021]
[/quote]

[/quote]2 things here. 

[/quote]

Overall talent across the board.  Central suffered with injury issues.  Even though we were horrible in the season, we played Ozen to [b]1 score loss (Ozen scored with less than 5 minutes left for the go ahead score).    [/b] Central is always loaded with talent and this year's Ozen team will be probably the most athletic team in Southeast Texas.
[/quote]
Oh how I remember that touchdown  ;D

[quote name="uandme08" post="1253448" timestamp="1346189794"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=102147.msg1253308#msg1253308 date=1346179528]
[/quote]

[/quote]2 things here. 

[/quote]

Overall talent across the board.  Central suffered with injury issues.  Even though we were horrible in the season, we played Ozen to [b]1 score loss (Ozen scored with less than 5 minutes left for the go ahead score).    [/b] Central is always loaded with talent and this year's Ozen team will be probably the most athletic team in Southeast Texas.
[/quote]
Oh how I remember that touchdown  ;D
[/quote]Hush!  ;D ;D ;)

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1253426" timestamp="1346188731"]
So, with all that said, explain to me again how the MCM would be the 'better game'.  Do 'more people' and 'more turkey leg sales' account for a better game?
[/quote]

It depends on how you define what a game encompasses. I think atmosphere is a huge part of it. I think having a packed house of 13,000 fans contributes to that atmosphere. I think the tradition of the rivalry and both schools involved contributes to it. The history behind this game goes back almost nine decades. And of course, the competition between the two teams is a huge factor, and this is the circled date on the calendar in both fieldhouses.

But I think it goes beyond the game, because Mid-County Madness is more than just a game - it doesn't begin at kickoff and end when the clock runs out. It's an ideology. The kids on the field, on the track and in the stands on both sides were raised to be at this game and to compete with each other everywhere, all the time. You go over to Nederland and look into the crayon boxes at the elementary schools, and you'll notice that there's not a single purple crayon in any of them. Why? Because their teachers had the entire class break all the purple crayons on the first day of school. You go to a Port Neches or Groves elementary school on the day of the game and you'll find stuffed bulldogs torn up and thrown across the gym at the end of the day. You drive around Mid-County on the day of the game, and you'll be able to tell what town you're in (something that most people who don't live in MC find difficult) just based on the colors the people are wearing. You'll find people from all over Mid-County arguing about plays made at this game 30+ years at any given time of the year - in one case, you'll even find one of the former head coaches writing about it in a PA News column all these years later. Heck, even if you go to the UIL meets and band competitions, you'll find PN-G and Nederland kids trying to one-up each other there, sometimes not even focusing on the rest of the competition. I can actually remember at one point my senior year - not even during the week of the game - NISD had the day off, so a bunch of Nederland band kids got together, drove to our after-school band practice, played their fight song from their cars, and then drove off. Certain sports teams - volleyball, softball, basketball and so on - that otherwise might not get much attention from either community can count on the MCM game as a sell-out - some of them even have the bands come in. I mean, seriously, how often do you see people standing in the aisles at a softball game? You do when PN-G and Nederland play.

Old people around Port Neches still say that if Nederland was playing Hell, they'd be in the stands wearing red, and I'm sure some of Nederland's elderly folks say it the other way around. Former players from each team say that getting beat by the other is worse than getting your teeth kicked in. Some of them even say the rest of the season really doesn't matter and whether or not your season is successful depends entirely on whether or not you beat Nederland. Since coming here, Coach Faircloth has banned the team from speaking the word "Nederland" during game week (they're referred to only as "that other town"). I've seen people fly back from as far away as Las Vegas and drive from Dallas just to come see this game. I flew back from Alabama last year to see the game.

You remember how that PN-G fan had the heart attack when Dre' Dunbar made the two-point conversion against y'all in 2009? That wasn't the first time someone's had a heart attack in the stands. The first time I know of was at Mid-County Madness the year before.

You know how Aggies raise their kids to hate Longhorns and vice versa? Or how Alabama fans raise their kids to hate Auburn and vice versa and how Michigan fans raise their kids to hate Michigan State and vice versa? That's how it is with Mid-County Madness. There have been magazines that have called it the fiercest rivalry in the state, and it was mentioned as one of the state's top rivalries in the football exhibit at the Bullock Museum last year. The game doesn't just get broadcasted on two different radio stations and over the internet by both teams, it's now recorded and televised the following day. Supposedly, whoever monitors the internet broadcasts has reported hits on their site literally from all over the world.

It's crazy, I know. But I don't think you'll find any PN-G or Nederland fans here who disagrees with me. I guess it's something you just have to experience to understand.

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1253466" timestamp="1346191251"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=102147.msg1253426#msg1253426 date=1346188731]
So, with all that said, explain to me again how the MCM would be the 'better game'.  Do 'more people' and 'more turkey leg sales' account for a better game?
[/quote]

It depends on how you define what a game encompasses. I think atmosphere is a huge part of it. I think having a packed house of 13,000 fans contributes to that atmosphere. I think the tradition of the rivalry and both schools involved contributes to it. The history behind this game goes back almost nine decades. And of course, the competition between the two teams is a huge factor, and this is the circled date on the calendar in both fieldhouses.

But I think it goes beyond the game, because Mid-County Madness is more than just a game - it doesn't begin at kickoff and end when the clock runs out. It's an ideology. The kids on the field, on the track and in the stands on both sides were raised to be at this game and to compete with each other everywhere, all the time. You go over to Nederland and look into the crayon boxes at the elementary schools, and you'll notice that there's not a single purple crayon in any of them. Why? Because their teachers had the entire class break all the purple crayons on the first day of school. You go to a Port Neches or Groves elementary school on the day of the game and you'll find stuffed bulldogs torn up and thrown across the gym at the end of the day. You drive around Mid-County on the day of the game, and you'll be able to tell what town you're in (something that most people who don't live in MC find difficult) just based on the colors the people are wearing. You'll find people from all over Mid-County arguing about plays made at this game 30+ years at any given time of the year - in one case, you'll even find one of the former head coaches writing about it in a PA News column all these years later. Heck, even if you go to the UIL meets and band competitions, you'll find PN-G and Nederland kids trying to one-up each other there, sometimes not even focusing on the rest of the competition. I can actually remember at one point my senior year - not even during the week of the game - NISD had the day off, so a bunch of Nederland band kids got together, drove to our after-school band practice, played their fight song from their cars, and then drove off. Certain sports teams - volleyball, softball, basketball and so on - that otherwise might not get much attention from either community can count on the MCM game as a sell-out - some of them even have the bands come in. I mean, seriously, how often do you see people standing in the aisles at a softball game? You do when PN-G and Nederland play.

Old people around Port Neches still say that if Nederland was playing Hell, they'd be in the stands wearing red, and I'm sure some of Nederland's elderly folks say it the other way around. Former players from each team say that getting beat by the other is worse than getting your teeth kicked in. Some of them even say the rest of the season really doesn't matter and whether or not your season is successful depends entirely on whether or not you beat Nederland. Since coming here, Coach Faircloth has banned the team from speaking the word "Nederland" during game week (they're referred to only as "that other town"). I've seen people fly back from as far away as Las Vegas and drive from Dallas just to come see this game. I flew back from Alabama last year to see the game.

You remember how that PN-G fan had the heart attack when Dre' Dunbar made the two-point conversion against y'all in 2009? That wasn't the first time someone's had a heart attack in the stands. The first time I know of was at Mid-County Madness the year before.

You know how Aggies raise their kids to hate Longhorns and vice versa? Or how Alabama fans raise their kids to hate Auburn and vice versa and how Michigan fans raise their kids to hate Michigan State and vice versa? That's how it is with Mid-County Madness. There have been magazines that have called it the fiercest rivalry in the state, and it was mentioned as one of the state's top rivalries in the football exhibit at the Bullock Museum last year. The game doesn't just get broadcasted on two different radio stations and over the internet by both teams, it's now recorded and televised the following day. Supposedly, whoever monitors the internet broadcasts has reported hits on their site literally from all over the world.

It's crazy, I know. But I don't think you'll find any PN-G or Nederland fans here who disagrees with me. I guess it's something you just have to experience to understand.
[/quote]I hear what you're saying, but I don't know.  I understand the packed house deal.  I understand the off the field festivities.    I understand the love hate thing. I  understand the towns old timers chatting it up.  I understand the plane trips to see the game, and boy, do I remember that PN-G fan getting sick.  What you fail to realize is that this very same thing happens at other rivalry games, with the Soul Bowl being no exeption.  What's a 'top game'?  IMO, it's the overall experience from a fan's standpoint, wich means the amount of people in attendence plays NO factor.  I'm looking at the game.  Good football.  Players's speed, size, will to win.  I look at the halftimes.  Soul Bowl halftimes are worth the price of admission.  (you have to be there to see it). 

It's almost like looking at a game on TV.  Does it really make a difference of  who's in the room with you when you're watching a top game?  (a room with a bunch of people or you watching it by your lonesome).

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1253741" timestamp="1346241283"]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=102147.msg1253466#msg1253466 date=1346191251]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=102147.msg1253426#msg1253426 date=1346188731]
[/quote]

[/quote]I hear what you're saying, but I don't know.  I understand the packed house deal.  I understand the off the field festivities.    I understand the love hate thing. I  understand the towns old timers chatting it up.  I understand the plane trips to see the game, and boy, do I remember that PN-G fan getting sick.  What you fail to realize is that this very same thing happens at other rivalry games, with the Soul Bowl being no exeption.  What's a 'top game'?  IMO, it's the overall experience from a fan's standpoint, wich means the amount of people in attendence plays NO factor.  I'm looking at the game.  Good football.  Players's speed, size, will to win.  I look at the halftimes.  Soul Bowl halftimes are worth the price of admission.  (you have to be there to see it). 

It's almost like looking at a game on TV.  Does it really make a difference of  who's in the room with you when you're watching a top game?  (a room with a bunch of people or you watching it by your lonesome).
[/quote]

I'm sure it happens in other rivalries. I just think there's a reason MCM is ranked among the top of those rivalries.

I guess we just look at the game differently. Not surprising that I would put emphasis on the arbitrary factors coming from a band background.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder