SETX Top Games List

Of all the games this week the 1 gm some will be keeping a eye on is PNG @ Silsbee.I say this because I remember the team Faircloth inherited.They were good & in alot of games to the wire the prior yr.on the losses they had.Next yr he has a core group of undefeated JV team moving up w'the jrs.& good group of freshmen.Now is when we see how he can reap rewards from his own coached talents.I'm not saying he's not a great coach by any means.I don't do that,not my job.Making a honest opinion 8)

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1253771" timestamp="1346244645"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=102147.msg1253741#msg1253741 date=1346241283]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=102147.msg1253466#msg1253466 date=1346191251]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=102147.msg1253426#msg1253426 date=1346188731]
So, with all that said, explain to me again how the MCM would be the 'better game'.  Do 'more people' and 'more turkey leg sales' account for a better game?
[/quote]

It depends on how you define what a game encompasses. I think atmosphere is a huge part of it. I think having a packed house of 13,000 fans contributes to that atmosphere. I think the tradition of the rivalry and both schools involved contributes to it. The history behind this game goes back almost nine decades. And of course, the competition between the two teams is a huge factor, and this is the circled date on the calendar in both fieldhouses.

But I think it goes beyond the game, because Mid-County Madness is more than just a game - it doesn't begin at kickoff and end when the clock runs out. It's an ideology. The kids on the field, on the track and in the stands on both sides were raised to be at this game and to compete with each other everywhere, all the time. You go over to Nederland and look into the crayon boxes at the elementary schools, and you'll notice that there's not a single purple crayon in any of them. Why? Because their teachers had the entire class break all the purple crayons on the first day of school. You go to a Port Neches or Groves elementary school on the day of the game and you'll find stuffed bulldogs torn up and thrown across the gym at the end of the day. You drive around Mid-County on the day of the game, and you'll be able to tell what town you're in (something that most people who don't live in MC find difficult) just based on the colors the people are wearing. You'll find people from all over Mid-County arguing about plays made at this game 30+ years at any given time of the year - in one case, you'll even find one of the former head coaches writing about it in a PA News column all these years later. Heck, even if you go to the UIL meets and band competitions, you'll find PN-G and Nederland kids trying to one-up each other there, sometimes not even focusing on the rest of the competition. I can actually remember at one point my senior year - not even during the week of the game - NISD had the day off, so a bunch of Nederland band kids got together, drove to our after-school band practice, played their fight song from their cars, and then drove off. Certain sports teams - volleyball, softball, basketball and so on - that otherwise might not get much attention from either community can count on the MCM game as a sell-out - some of them even have the bands come in. I mean, seriously, how often do you see people standing in the aisles at a softball game? You do when PN-G and Nederland play.

Old people around Port Neches still say that if Nederland was playing Hell, they'd be in the stands wearing red, and I'm sure some of Nederland's elderly folks say it the other way around. Former players from each team say that getting beat by the other is worse than getting your teeth kicked in. Some of them even say the rest of the season really doesn't matter and whether or not your season is successful depends entirely on whether or not you beat Nederland. Since coming here, Coach Faircloth has banned the team from speaking the word "Nederland" during game week (they're referred to only as "that other town"). I've seen people fly back from as far away as Las Vegas and drive from Dallas just to come see this game. I flew back from Alabama last year to see the game.

You remember how that PN-G fan had the heart attack when Dre' Dunbar made the two-point conversion against y'all in 2009? That wasn't the first time someone's had a heart attack in the stands. The first time I know of was at Mid-County Madness the year before.

You know how Aggies raise their kids to hate Longhorns and vice versa? Or how Alabama fans raise their kids to hate Auburn and vice versa and how Michigan fans raise their kids to hate Michigan State and vice versa? That's how it is with Mid-County Madness. There have been magazines that have called it the fiercest rivalry in the state, and it was mentioned as one of the state's top rivalries in the football exhibit at the Bullock Museum last year. The game doesn't just get broadcasted on two different radio stations and over the internet by both teams, it's now recorded and televised the following day. Supposedly, whoever monitors the internet broadcasts has reported hits on their site literally from all over the world.

It's crazy, I know. But I don't think you'll find any PN-G or Nederland fans here who disagrees with me. I guess it's something you just have to experience to understand.
[/quote]I hear what you're saying, but I don't know.  I understand the packed house deal.  I understand the off the field festivities.    I understand the love hate thing. I  understand the towns old timers chatting it up.  I understand the plane trips to see the game, and boy, do I remember that PN-G fan getting sick.  What you fail to realize is that this very same thing happens at other rivalry games, with the Soul Bowl being no exeption.  What's a 'top game'?  IMO, it's the overall experience from a fan's standpoint, wich means the amount of people in attendence plays NO factor.  I'm looking at the game.  Good football.  Players's speed, size, will to win.  I look at the halftimes.  Soul Bowl halftimes are worth the price of admission.  (you have to be there to see it). 

It's almost like looking at a game on TV.  Does it really make a difference of  who's in the room with you when you're watching a top game?  (a room with a bunch of people or you watching it by your lonesome).
[/quote]

I'm sure it happens in other rivalries. I just think there's a reason MCM is ranked among the top of those rivalries.

I guess we just look at the game differently. Not surprising that I would put emphasis on the arbitrary factors coming from a band background.
[/quote]It's funny that you say that.  I've came from a band background myself.  I look at the game and the other fesitvities.  I've been around, witnessed, and performed for huge crowds before.  Still, it don't really make it a 'top game'.  Not trying to drag this topic into the mud because you make some very valid points, but I don't think I'll ever understand how an 'atmosphere' makes for a top game, in my book.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1253837" timestamp="1346249592"]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=102147.msg1253771#msg1253771 date=1346244645]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=102147.msg1253741#msg1253741 date=1346241283]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=102147.msg1253466#msg1253466 date=1346191251]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=102147.msg1253426#msg1253426 date=1346188731]
So, with all that said, explain to me again how the MCM would be the 'better game'.  Do 'more people' and 'more turkey leg sales' account for a better game?
[/quote]

It depends on how you define what a game encompasses. I think atmosphere is a huge part of it. I think having a packed house of 13,000 fans contributes to that atmosphere. I think the tradition of the rivalry and both schools involved contributes to it. The history behind this game goes back almost nine decades. And of course, the competition between the two teams is a huge factor, and this is the circled date on the calendar in both fieldhouses.

But I think it goes beyond the game, because Mid-County Madness is more than just a game - it doesn't begin at kickoff and end when the clock runs out. It's an ideology. The kids on the field, on the track and in the stands on both sides were raised to be at this game and to compete with each other everywhere, all the time. You go over to Nederland and look into the crayon boxes at the elementary schools, and you'll notice that there's not a single purple crayon in any of them. Why? Because their teachers had the entire class break all the purple crayons on the first day of school. You go to a Port Neches or Groves elementary school on the day of the game and you'll find stuffed bulldogs torn up and thrown across the gym at the end of the day. You drive around Mid-County on the day of the game, and you'll be able to tell what town you're in (something that most people who don't live in MC find difficult) just based on the colors the people are wearing. You'll find people from all over Mid-County arguing about plays made at this game 30+ years at any given time of the year - in one case, you'll even find one of the former head coaches writing about it in a PA News column all these years later. Heck, even if you go to the UIL meets and band competitions, you'll find PN-G and Nederland kids trying to one-up each other there, sometimes not even focusing on the rest of the competition. I can actually remember at one point my senior year - not even during the week of the game - NISD had the day off, so a bunch of Nederland band kids got together, drove to our after-school band practice, played their fight song from their cars, and then drove off. Certain sports teams - volleyball, softball, basketball and so on - that otherwise might not get much attention from either community can count on the MCM game as a sell-out - some of them even have the bands come in. I mean, seriously, how often do you see people standing in the aisles at a softball game? You do when PN-G and Nederland play.

Old people around Port Neches still say that if Nederland was playing Hell, they'd be in the stands wearing red, and I'm sure some of Nederland's elderly folks say it the other way around. Former players from each team say that getting beat by the other is worse than getting your teeth kicked in. Some of them even say the rest of the season really doesn't matter and whether or not your season is successful depends entirely on whether or not you beat Nederland. Since coming here, Coach Faircloth has banned the team from speaking the word "Nederland" during game week (they're referred to only as "that other town"). I've seen people fly back from as far away as Las Vegas and drive from Dallas just to come see this game. I flew back from Alabama last year to see the game.

You remember how that PN-G fan had the heart attack when Dre' Dunbar made the two-point conversion against y'all in 2009? That wasn't the first time someone's had a heart attack in the stands. The first time I know of was at Mid-County Madness the year before.

You know how Aggies raise their kids to hate Longhorns and vice versa? Or how Alabama fans raise their kids to hate Auburn and vice versa and how Michigan fans raise their kids to hate Michigan State and vice versa? That's how it is with Mid-County Madness. There have been magazines that have called it the fiercest rivalry in the state, and it was mentioned as one of the state's top rivalries in the football exhibit at the Bullock Museum last year. The game doesn't just get broadcasted on two different radio stations and over the internet by both teams, it's now recorded and televised the following day. Supposedly, whoever monitors the internet broadcasts has reported hits on their site literally from all over the world.

It's crazy, I know. But I don't think you'll find any PN-G or Nederland fans here who disagrees with me. I guess it's something you just have to experience to understand.
[/quote]I hear what you're saying, but I don't know.  I understand the packed house deal.  I understand the off the field festivities.    I understand the love hate thing. I  understand the towns old timers chatting it up.  I understand the plane trips to see the game, and boy, do I remember that PN-G fan getting sick.  What you fail to realize is that this very same thing happens at other rivalry games, with the Soul Bowl being no exeption.  What's a 'top game'?  IMO, it's the overall experience from a fan's standpoint, wich means the amount of people in attendence plays NO factor.  I'm looking at the game.  Good football.  Players's speed, size, will to win.  I look at the halftimes.  Soul Bowl halftimes are worth the price of admission.  (you have to be there to see it). 

It's almost like looking at a game on TV.  Does it really make a difference of  who's in the room with you when you're watching a top game?  (a room with a bunch of people or you watching it by your lonesome).
[/quote]

I'm sure it happens in other rivalries. I just think there's a reason MCM is ranked among the top of those rivalries.

I guess we just look at the game differently. Not surprising that I would put emphasis on the arbitrary factors coming from a band background.
[/quote]It's funny that you say that.  I've came from a band background myself.  I look at the game and the other fesitvities.  I've been around, witnessed, and performed for huge crowds before.  Still, it don't really make it a 'top game'.  Not trying to drag this topic into the mud because you make some very valid points, but I don't think I'll ever understand how an 'atmosphere' makes for a top game, in my book.
[/quote]

Soulja, you have to excuse Bamakid. He's been sheltered in Mid County. He don't know about the hype between the North End and South End. He don't understand band rivalries like PV/TSU/Southern/Grambling as well as Central/Ozen. You may have to educate him. ;D ;)

Soulja, tell Bamakid that watching 8 mile doesn't make him an expert!  ;D ;D ;D 8)

[quote name="TradinUp BH" post="1253854" timestamp="1346250897"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=102147.msg1253837#msg1253837 date=1346249592]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=102147.msg1253771#msg1253771 date=1346244645]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Soulja, you have to excuse Bamakid. He's been sheltered in Mid County. He don't know about the hype between the North End and South End. He don't understand band rivalries like PV/TSU/Southern/Grambling as well as Central/Ozen. You may have to educate him. ;D ;)
[/quote]I think he understands what I'm saying, just like I understand what he's saying.  Between us, it may be one of those agree to disagree type deals.  8)

I've attened both the Soul Bowl and Mid County Madness and I have to say the reason mid county madness gets my vote is the long lasting rivalry. Man the Soul Bowl is about in year 15 years old. Mid County Madness has been almost a century. Plus it's just down right hate nothing more nothing less. The one thing I can say that when the PAISD killed the TJ vs LHS it killed a top 10 game. I loved the early 90's playing PNG Nederland and LHS all in a row to start the season at TJ.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1253837" timestamp="1346249592"]
It's funny that you say that.  I've came from a band background myself.  I look at the game and the other fesitvities.  I've been around, witnessed, and performed for huge crowds before.  Still, it don't really make it a 'top game'.  Not trying to drag this topic into the mud because you make some very valid points, but I don't think I'll ever understand how an 'atmosphere' makes for a top game, in my book.
[/quote]

I should've known you were in band. Too many thoughtful posts.... ;D

[quote author=mypooh link=topic=102147.msg1253881#msg1253881 date=1346253539]
I've attened both the Soul Bowl and Mid County Madness and I have to say the reason mid county madness gets my vote is the long lasting rivalry. Man the Soul Bowl is about in year 15 years old. Mid County Madness has been almost a century. Plus it's just down right hate nothing more nothing less. The one thing I can say that when the PAISD killed the TJ vs LHS it killed a top 10 game. I loved the early 90's playing PNG Nederland and LHS all in a row to start the season at TJ.
[/quote]

That's pretty much where I was going with it. The kids playing the Ozen-Central game now were born before that rivalry existed. It hasn't reached that point of, for lack of a better word, indoctrination that MCM has. Central and Ozen may have more talent than PN-G or Nederland (some years, way more talent), but what MCM lacks in physical talent it makes up for in intensity and motivation. The kids on the field for PN-G and Nederland have been mentally conditioning for this game since kindergarten, some since birth. There are generations of parents and grandparents that played each other with kids and grandkids that are now lining up on either side of the ball. Senior years at both schools are made and broken based on just the game. For some people, losing to the other school is what nightmares are made of. It's just ingrained into you, and it's hard to put it into words.

To put it succinctly, there's a reason it's labeled madness.

[quote name="liltex" post="1253783" timestamp="1346245785"]
Of all the games this week the 1 gm some will be keeping a eye on is PNG @ Silsbee.I say this because I remember the team Faircloth inherited.They were good & in alot of games to the wire the prior yr.on the losses they had.Next yr he has a core group of undefeated JV team moving up w'the jrs.& good group of freshmen.Now is when we see how he can reap rewards from his own coached talents.I'm not saying he's not a great coach by any means.I don't do that,not my job.Making a honest opinion 8)
[/quote]

I understand where you're coming from there, but the results of this season will have to be evaluated in context before their real value becomes apparent. The seniors this year, like you said, were freshmen when Faircloth first arrived.

They went either 1-9 or 2-8 (can't remember which) as freshmen.

Just having a winning season is improvement over that. Now, I expect them to be at least 6-4 and I expect them to make they playoffs, even if it's just by the skin of their teeth. I'm sure Coach Faircloth has high expectations of them and I know the community does. But if we really want to assess Coach Faircloth's abilities based on how this team performs because of when Coach Faircloth got here, their record in his first year has to be taken into account.

As I often tell my co-workers from MC, especially those from PN-G, they can't see past Nall Ave.  Midcounty sadness is the greatest rivalry since Cain vs. Able(allegedly) and there's no arguing the point

[quote name="SFA85" post="1253970" timestamp="1346261974"]
As I often tell my co-workers from MC, especially those from PN-G, they can't see past Nall Ave.  Midcounty sadness is the greatest rivalry since Cain vs. Able(allegedly) and there's no arguing the point
[/quote]

In the early 90s the Beaumont Bowl would sell out Lamar and have the hill full of fans. I don't recall even seeing one MCM highlight back then. I'm not saying their teams weren't good, but they weren't getting nearly the pub they get now! I think it has a lot to do with midcounty grads getting jobs in the local media but, that's just my opinion.

[quote name="Yeoj" post="1254398" timestamp="1346296915"]
[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=102147.msg1253970#msg1253970 date=1346261974]
[/quote]

In the early 90s the Beaumont Bowl would sell out Lamar and have the hill full of fans. I don't recall even seeing one MCM highlight back then. I'm not saying their teams weren't good, but they weren't getting nearly the pub they get now! [b]I think it has a lot to do with midcounty grads getting jobs in the local media but, that's just my opinion.[/b]
[/quote]

Whoaaa!! Good point. ;) ;D

[quote name="Yeoj" post="1254398" timestamp="1346296915"]
[/quote]

In the early 90s the Beaumont Bowl would sell out Lamar and have the hill full of fans. I don't recall even seeing one MCM highlight back then. I'm not saying their teams weren't good, but they weren't getting nearly the pub they get now! I think it has a lot to do with midcounty grads getting jobs in the local media but, that's just my opinion.
[/quote]True.  We've had this talk before.  As kids, there was never any talk of PN-G, Nederland, let alone, MCM.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1254487" timestamp="1346324584"]
[quote author=Yeoj link=topic=102147.msg1254398#msg1254398 date=1346296915]
[/quote]

[/quote]True.  We've had this talk before.  As kids, there was never any talk of PN-G, Nederland, let alone, MCM.
[/quote]
Another reason is back then they never made the playoffs. Baseball was about the only thing they competed in .

It's funny that you say that.  I've came from a band background myself.  I look at the game and the other fesitvities.  I've been around, witnessed, and performed for huge crowds before.  Still, it don't really make it a 'top game'.  Not trying to drag this topic into the mud because you make some very valid points, but I don't think I'll ever understand how an 'atmosphere' makes for a top game, in my book.
[/quote]

UH........, Soulja rattling a little metal wand inside a triangle does not count.......just sayin...... ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="Smoking Baby" post="1254508" timestamp="1346327234"]
[/quote]

UH........, Soulja rattling a little metal wand inside a triangle does not count.......just sayin...... ;D ;D ;D
[/quote] ;D ;D

OK Soulja, last jab at you (this week)...... ;D

My favorite game was when Soulja made it on the Wheel of Fortune last year. 

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=OaYkKLlZDzE&NR=1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=OaYkKLlZDzE&NR=1[/url]

;D ;D ;D

My real best game was Jasper and Gilmer several years ago at SFA

[quote name="Smoking Baby" post="1254530" timestamp="1346329278"]
OK Soulja, last jab at you (this week)...... ;D

My favorite game was when Soulja made it on the Wheel of Fortune last year. 

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=OaYkKLlZDzE&NR=1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=OaYkKLlZDzE&NR=1[/url]

;D ;D ;D

My real best game was Jasper and Gilmer several years ago at SFA
[/quote]
Go Buckeyes!!!  Home of tha Yams

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1254539" timestamp="1346330368"]
where as MCM is a great rivalry game, it doesn't neccessarily make it a top game. for me it depends on what is at stake. make it the last district game and both teams are 9-0, now that would be a top game. jmo
[/quote]Great point.

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1254539" timestamp="1346330368"]
where as MCM is a great rivalry game, it doesn't neccessarily make it a top game. for me it depends on what is at stake. make it the last district game and both teams are 9-0, now that would be a top game. jmo
[/quote]

We just have different definitions of what makes a game a "top" game. I think it has as much to do with the fan experience, the history, the intensity and the off-the-field aspects as the caliber of players, the record and so on.

[quote author=Smoking Baby link=topic=102147.msg1254579#msg1254579 date=1346334770]
Speaking of MCM, you just got to love this.....

Nederland's Version

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXwRhbAkv7M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXwRhbAkv7M[/url]

PNG's Version

?????
[/quote]

I don't know if there's any video of it, but if you want a teacher skit, they do one at the PN-G pep rally as well.

[quote name="Smoking Baby" post="1254579" timestamp="1346334770"]
Speaking of MCM, you just got to love this.....

Nederland's Version

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXwRhbAkv7M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXwRhbAkv7M[/url]

PNG's Version

?????
[/quote]
that was pretty neat. i didn't know they did that.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1254568" timestamp="1346333514"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=102147.msg1254539#msg1254539 date=1346330368]
[/quote]Great point.
[/quote]
That is a great point. Point being 2009 game between Central and Vidor. I would take that over MCM any day of the week.

I'm not going to sit here and type a list of reasons why MCM is such a big game whether both teams are 0-9 or 9-0. You can throw the record book out with that game. What's at stake as far as playoffs or district records go is but a drop in the bucket compared to bragging rights for a year. I'll simply say that there's a reason this game is highly regarded. And it's not because MC folks work for the media. This game is highly recognized state-wide by Dave Campbell's and other state-wide media outlets. There's way more to it than talent on the field or even how long the rivalry has existed. If it was just like any other rivalry like some have said, then it wouldnt be so high on the list on state-wide outlets for rivalry games.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124