Worst "sports" in the Olympics?

They got rid of baseball and softball, but kept some of this other crap??

Dressage- Go ahead a google it, because I'm sure none of you know what it is.  This horse training event has a 71 yr old from Japan competing.  His 1st Olympics was in 1964!

Anything "synchronized"  and where "style points" are awarded.

Dancing with the little ribbon thingy and the ball

BB gun-  A lady that is 8 months pregnant is an Olympic athlete?

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1242095" timestamp="1344096363"]

Dressage- Go ahead a google it, because I'm sure none of you know what it is.  This horse training event has a 71 yr old from Japan competing.  His 1st Olympics was in 1964!

[/quote]

I agree with you on dressage. They actually had that on TV the other day, I can't believe that is considered a sport.

IMO the worst olympic sport is curling. It takes very little skill. All you do is slide stones on ice and then sweep the ice. Once my baseball career is over I'm gonna take up curling. I figure it might take me a week to get ready for the next olympics. ;) ;D

Also can't believe trampoline is a sport now.

I agree completely also. Some of these sports are a joke- trampoline-badminton (and the matches where fixed?) - pellet gun shooting with a crowd of 5 people (all of which are relatives and judges). Baseball and Softball need to be brought back. US getting pushed around by European BS again.

[quote name="bullets13" post="1244689" timestamp="1344905634"]
i can kinda understand not having a couple of sports that are almost predominantly american.  baseball and softball are played consistently in what, 10% of the countries in the world?
[/quote]

Baseball is spread pretty decently around the world. North America  The Caribbean, Australia, Japan, Korea, China, and almost every country in Europe have professional baseball leagues now. Although alot of the players a are American, especially in the European leagues. I think the issue more popularity and competitiveness on the world stage. There are only 3 or 4 countries that can field good baseball teams. As for popularity outside of the U.S., The Caribbean, and Japan people just dont care very much about baseball.

[quote name="bullets13" post="1244689" timestamp="1344905634"]
i can kinda understand not having a couple of sports that are almost predominantly american.  baseball and softball are played consistently in what, 10% of the countries in the world?
[/quote]

The World Baseball Classic started in 2005 with 16 teams and has now expanded to 28 teams for 2013.  This tourney includes MLB players and has never been won by the USA.  Japan won both times it has been played with the United State's best finish being 4th in 2009.  Half of the players in the Majors don't speak English, so I'm not sure how the sport is predominatly American. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Baseball_Classic

The Olypics started to include baseball as a medal sport in 1992 only allowing amateurs to compete.  USA won a gold in 2000 and a bronze medal in 1996 & 2008.  Cuba won 3 out of the 5 gold medals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_at_the_Summer_Olympics

I'm pretty ok with anything that doesn't involve an animal doing the work.... ie: dressage.

Badminton is an intense game when played properly and most of the others listed,  like shooting... (bb's or otherwise), take a lot of skill. Curling... It'd take me a week not to fall down on the ice. :)

And .... those racewalkers can walk a faster mile than 99% on this board can run. Very different from running. Looks a little afeminite (sp?)... but a skill nonetheless. I tried it for 3 miles when i was in college and it's brutal on your hips. (insert "That's what she said" joke here).  8)

[quote name="falconfanatic" post="1242115" timestamp="1344104062"]
[quote author=PhatMack19 link=topic=101437.msg1242095#msg1242095 date=1344096363]

[/quote]

I agree with you on dressage. They actually had that on TV the other day, I can't believe that is considered a sport.

IMO the worst olympic sport is curling. It takes very little skill. All you do is slide stones on ice and then sweep the ice. Once my baseball career is over I'm gonna take up curling. I figure it might take me a week to get ready for the next olympics. ;) ;D

Also can't believe trampoline is a sport now.
[/quote]

I was right there with you till you said curling.  There are soME HOTTIES sliding that stone down the ice.  If they were to put them in vollyball attire, would be one of the most popular events.    ;D ;D

My list:

Ping Pong........geez!

Anything with an animal in it.........what the heck, you gonna medal a horse?

Basketball........ Uh, just mail us 2 golds and draw straws for silver/bronze. 

I agree on the syncronized.......... 4-stroke outboards 100 miles offshore are the only thing I want to see syncronized.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder