great running backs you had the pleaser in watching from s.e texas

There were so many probably no one on this site could name all the good running backs. The ones that come to my mind are: Elliot Romero (PNG) early 60's, Matt Peeples (Bridge City) year ?, Steve Wooster (Bridge City) mid 60's, Mike Simpson (PNG) 60's , Jeff Brgoron (PNG) 70's  Bryan Bock (Bridge City) 90's, Kyle Haynes (TJ) year ?. And all those that other posters mentioned.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bhsfan" post="1241358" timestamp="1343866079"]
donald moore's district rival Tarkington's dimitri scott mid 80's
[/quote]
I think if more of the people on here were older they would be listing Donald Moore from Splendora. Greg Moore from Huffman should be on the list. Everyone from Barbers Hill, Anhuac, Hamshire Fannett, EC, HJ should remember him well. 300 yds in the first half against EC in one game.

There are alot of great names on these posts and most Ive never had the pleasure of watching but the ones that I did have the pleasure of seeing in action were: Dexter Hebert of Kelly,Troy Hansen of Barbers Hill,Reggie White of Liberty,DeAndre Hardemen of North Shore.All of these guys could pick em up and put em down.

[quote name="HDBobcats9" post="1242236" timestamp="1344177530"]
Was Dexter Hebert the guy they called Kelly's Comet back in the late 80's/early 90's? I remember HD playing Bmt Kelly and they had a great running back and that's what they were calling him.
[/quote] I dont know about being called that but he reminded me alot of Earl Campbell.Dexter was more like a bull dozer as well as fast.

[quote name="songone" post="1241010" timestamp="1343769300"]
[quote author=mypooh link=topic=101325.msg1241006#msg1241006 date=1343768375]
[quote author=texasaggie link=topic=101325.msg1240971#msg1240971 date=1343761830]
SETX: C-Mike and Sherman Gilbert
Non-SETX: Leroy Dobbins-Montgomery (saw him from on the field) and Cody Johnson-Waller
[/quote]

Dobbins where he go to college ?
[/quote]I have been wondering that myself
[/quote]Dobbins went to a prep school in NY, Now goes to Tyler Junior College. Good Running back

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="1242136" timestamp="1344112524"]
No 1.    Joe Washington (Lincoln)

[flash=400,400]http://www.youtube.com/v/U1Ms_37TWBI?[/flash]

No 1a    Steve Worster (Bridge City) #30 in highlight film

[flash=400,400]http://www.youtube.com/v/tjpap8If1OQ?[/flash]
[/quote]

OK, I watched that entire Woster "highlight" and seem to have missed the spectacular running I had expected.  He was bigger than the oposition, but seem to fall down everytime there was contact.  I was expecting him to run over people, not flop at forst touch. Reminded me of Charles Barkley playing basketball. 

[quote name="89falcon" post="1242144" timestamp="1344117175"]
[quote author=bhsfan link=topic=101325.msg1241358#msg1241358 date=1343866079]
donald moore's district rival Tarkington's dimitri scott mid 80's
[/quote]
I think if more of the people on here were older they would be listing Donald Moore from Splendora. Greg Moore from Huffman should be on the list. Everyone from Barbers Hill, Anhuac, Hamshire Fannett, EC, HJ should remember him well. 300 yds in the first half against EC in one game.
[/quote]

Forgot about Greg Moore. He went on to play at TCU. I was a good friend of his brother John way back in junior high before they moved to Huffman.

Lamar Mitchell from Dayton, was my hero when I was younger! LOL (what's he doing now?)

I enjoyed watching Jeff Gibbs run the ball in Liberty, super fast, and would break 5-6 tackles, throw in a spin move for another, run 40 yards, juke then fumble.  Would have been something if he held on to the ball better!

I played against Donald Moore, he was shifty and had a lot of speed, but was stoppable. Also played against Anthony Byerly in 79. He must have gotten better later, he played linebacker on defense, me and the center put his a** outta that game. We beat Newton 17-0 that night. The best running back I ever saw is a tie Craig James and Eric Dickerson. 

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="olin" post="1242340" timestamp="1344210297"]
Jason McQueen of Jasper in the early 2000s. Only 4.6 speed, but tremendous vision and cutting ability.
[/quote]
Great player but underrated in the eyes of many. The greatest running back I ever seen in SETX was Anthony Smith from buna. Averaged 15.8 yards a carry his senior year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86