Orangefield board votes to keep football coach

I have one question.  Is he getting all this support from the community because the football team is doing better than under the previous coach?  I would think that most head coaches/athletic directors would teach about discipline, morals, mental toughness, etc.  I would just like to know if this would be any different if he had only won 2 or 3 games a year the past three years and the football numbers were as low as they are. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="catfever" post="1206199" timestamp="1333555562"]
I have one question.  Is he getting all this support from the community because the football team is doing better than under the previous coach?  I would think that most head coaches/athletic directors would teach about discipline, morals, mental toughness, etc.  I would just like to know if this would be any different if he had only won 2 or 3 games a year the past three years and the football numbers were as low as they are.
[/quote]
Not sure of that Cat, I have been around this district for 40+ years.  I think the system he runs is perfect for our kids.  I also think he is expectional at teaching that particular system.  Under the current system we are never going to be a football powerhouse.  The truth is that one parent spoke up on his behalf that actually had a kid in the program.  The only real beef I have is the overall implementation of the Athletic program.  I personally believe that when Randy Theriot was here we had the best AD OF has ever had.  Almost 7 out of 10 kids were involved in athletics.  I don't think that anyone that played for him would say that he was "soft" or opposed to discipline.  He is the one that started the "one heartbeat" concept, he started the holding up the #1 sign during the school song.  He was a motivator.  I don't know him that well, but whatever he was doing, everyone could learn from.

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1206219" timestamp="1333558666"]
[quote author=catfever link=topic=98194.msg1206199#msg1206199 date=1333555562]
[/quote]
Not sure of that Cat, I have been around this district for 40+ years.  I think the system he runs is perfect for our kids.  I also think he is expectional at teaching that particular system.  Under the current system we are never going to be a football powerhouse.  The truth is that one parent spoke up on his behalf that actually had a kid in the program.  The only real beef I have is the overall implementation of the Athletic program.  I personally believe that when Randy Theriot was here we had the best AD OF has ever had.  Almost 7 out of 10 kids were involved in athletics.  I don't think that anyone that played for him would say that he was "soft" or opposed to discipline.  He is the one that started the "one heartbeat" concept, he started the holding up the #1 sign during the school song.  He was a motivator.  I don't know him that well, but whatever he was doing, everyone could learn from.
[/quote]

I agree with that assumption, but when Randy was here which was more than 10 years ago things were a little different. I do agree he was a good motivator. But then he did not last long at Kelly. 

No, but to be honest, I think that Kelly had a few down years in talent during that time frame.  I didn't say he was a miracle worker lol And if you think OF is bad about parents being involved, well... can you imagine?? BTW Solo, how far do you get to go back to talk about kids being different?  Theriot was here like 12 years ago.  I'll give you the argument that things were different in the 70's when you were around, but come on now... :) And if beating 2a schools in football is the criteria for a successful athletic program, there is something seriously wrong with how we evaluate things  ???

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1206347" timestamp="1333568200"]
No, but to be honest, I think that Kelly had a few down years in talent during that time frame.  I didn't say he was a miracle worker lol And if you think OF is bad about parents being involved, well... can you imagine?? BTW Solo, how far do you get to go back to talk about kids being different?  Theriot was here like 12 years ago.  I'll give you the argument that things were different in the 70's when you were around, but come on now... :) And if beating 2a schools in football is the criteria for a successful athletic program, there is something seriously wrong with how we evaluate things  ???
[/quote]

Every 10 years of course. You are right about the 2A schools, the basketball team has been beating 2A schools and down for years. Don't see you questioning their criteria. By the way I was late 70's early 80's. :P You got your nerve about age. One more thing, the numbers have been dropping way before Huck got here. Why have'nt you mentioned track? Here is a fact for you, last district championship for orangefield in track was 1998. Can't remember the last time the boys track team scored 100 points in a single meet. When is the last time we fielded a 1600 meter relay team and if we do field one they are never in the top six at any given track meet. If the situation is so bad then why is there any kids left in the program. IMO (which has been known to be wrong) the kids who are still there is because they love the sport and apparently they love it more than the ones who are not there anymore. Hell man a lot of my classmates quit football because they did not like Coach Peveto. They were good athlete's also. Could have help us. Most of them will tell you they regret it also. Are there issues? Probably so but I think the issues are being blown out of proportion just like the school board issue is. ;) By the way the boys scored 10 points at the BC relays.

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1205188" timestamp="1333383150"]
OH Mr. Little, you know I love you and we go back a long way.  I also know that a lot of what you say, or don't say is to stir things up.  Here are a few questions I have for you;
1. How should an AD be judged? 
2. Wins and losses?
3. Number of kids in the program?
4. Overall morale and unity of the school?
Secondly, who told you or anyone else for that matter it was the kids that received discipline last year?  Sure they were the school board's kids, but, to my knowledge, Mr. McAlpin, the principal, administered the discipline, NOT Huck.  Funny, I haven't heard one negative word concerning McAlpin.  Those kids confessed, they were not caught.  They could have lied about it, but they didn't.  They then faced their discipline, and went on.  In short, the issues going on have zero to do with the discipline those boys faced, but rather a difference of opinion in certain facets of the athletic program. For anyone to say different is irresponsible.  Secondly, the boys we are talking about are just that.... boys.  Not sure which kids aren't susceptible to making mistakes.
Here is the other deal, when the board suggested months ago they would like to see a class for basketball kids, etc. It was a recommendation to the Supt.  Why there is this huge panic with everyone running around screaming about the school board is a mystery to me.  I know every one of them personally.  I do not agree with each of them on every issue, but I will say this, they are all in it for the benefit of kids. Period.
[/quote]
I attended one of the school board meetings earlier in the year.  I was astonished and mortified at the conduct of 2 of the school board members. If you had seen what I saw, you might have a different opinion of the whole situation. They had hatred in their eyes and treated Coach Huckabay in a way that no one deserves to be treated. If all they were concerned about was adding classes for different sports, they wouldn't have acted the way they did. The intentions they had were definitely personal. There is nothing anyone can say to change my mind. I saw it for myself, and at the time, I wasn't even aware of what was really going on. If there is a Code of Conduct for the School Board then a line was certainly crossed.

[quote name="nineteen70" post="1206444" timestamp="1333576599"]
[quote author=bobcat4life link=topic=98194.msg1205188#msg1205188 date=1333383150]
OH Mr. Little, you know I love you and we go back a long way.  I also know that a lot of what you say, or don't say is to stir things up.  Here are a few questions I have for you;
2. Wins and losses?
Secondly, who told you or anyone else for that matter it was the kids that received discipline last year?  Sure they were the school board's kids, but, to my knowledge, Mr. McAlpin, the principal, administered the discipline, NOT Huck.  Funny, I haven't heard one negative word concerning McAlpin.  Those kids confessed, they were not caught.  They could have lied about it, but they didn't.  They then faced their discipline, and went on.  In short, the issues going on have zero to do with the discipline those boys faced, but rather a difference of opinion in certain facets of the athletic program. For anyone to say different is irresponsible.  Secondly, the boys we are talking about are just that.... boys.  Not sure which kids aren't susceptible to making mistakes.
Here is the other deal, when the board suggested months ago they would like to see a class for basketball kids, etc. It was a recommendation to the Supt.  Why there is this huge panic with everyone running around screaming about the school board is a mystery to me.  I know every one of them personally.  I do not agree with each of them on every issue, but I will say this, they are all in it for the benefit of kids. Period.
[/quote]
I attended one of the school board meetings earlier in the year.  I was astonished and mortified at the conduct of 2 of the school board members. If you had seen what I saw, you might have a different opinion of the whole situation. They had hatred in their eyes and treated Coach Huckabay in a way that no one deserves to be treated. If all they were concerned about was adding classes for different sports, they wouldn't have acted the way they did. The intentions they had were definitely personal. There is nothing anyone can say to change my mind. I saw it for myself, and at the time, I wasn't even aware of what was really going on. If there is a Code of Conduct for the School Board then a line was certainly crossed.
[/quote]
You are welcome to run next time. its not as easy as it seems.

[quote name="jenks" post="1206475" timestamp="1333581044"]
[quote author=nineteen70 link=topic=98194.msg1206444#msg1206444 date=1333576599]
[quote author=bobcat4life link=topic=98194.msg1205188#msg1205188 date=1333383150]
2. Wins and losses?
[/quote]
[/quote]
You are welcome to run next time. its not as easy as it seems.
[/quote]

I agree Jenks, politics have been around for a long time. School boards are no different. School board members are human just like everyone else and they are volunteers and should be commended. But keep their kids separate from the business at hand. Just like a coach who has a kid playing. Not saying that is the issue here but I have seen parents who only care about their kid and not the team. A friend told me that at a girls basketball game he counted 9 parents that had scorebooks in their hand. Wow are they about the "Team"? I don't think so.

[b][/b][i]I attended one of the school board meetings earlier in the year.  I was astonished and mortified at the conduct of 2 of the school board members. If you had seen what I saw, you might have a different opinion of the whole situation. They had hatred in their eyes and treated Coach Huckabay in a way that no one deserves to be treated. If all they were concerned about was adding classes for different sports, they wouldn't have acted the way they did. The intentions they had were definitely personal. There is nothing anyone can say to change my mind. I saw it for myself, and at the time, I wasn't even aware of what was really going on. If there is a Code of Conduct for the School Board then a line was certainly crossed.[/i][/quote]
I am not sure what kind of line they crossed.  I know every member of the board personally.  I would venture to say that there is one member that is totally a Huck supporter. His son had a positive experience as a football player with Huck, and therefore he bases his opinion solely on that experience.  I would say that the other 6 (including the one that has been absent for months based on sickness) range from lukewarm to wishing he was gone.  With that being said, this is essentially the exact same board that hired him 4 years ago.  These folks are not wild eyed crazy folks.  They are respected members of the community who are doing their best to do a thankless job.  They cannot even comment on their respective issues because of their elected positions and exposing the district to lawsuits. I don't go to board meetings any more because they are long and boring and the people sitting in the audience know about 10% of why everyone is voting a certain way.  The real facts are exposed in close session to which nobody is privy to.  What I am trying to say is that they know a lot more about the inner workings of the district than a few people outside of that circle.  I am not trying to tell you that I know a lot about it, but I at least have corresponded with all of the members, and not just one or two that I happen to agree with.

And Solo, the reason I said I agreed with you is because I really did :) I think the track program should be pushed more.  I saw the best High School track coach we have ever had last week in BC watching the pole vaulters.  I wondered to myself just how awesome Ty Johnson could have been in pole vault if he would have still been here. 

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1206559" timestamp="1333590850"]
And Solo, the reason I said I agreed with you is because I really did :) I think the track program should be pushed more.  I saw the best High School track coach we have ever had last week in BC watching the pole vaulters.  I wondered to myself just how awesome Ty Johnson could have been in pole vault if he would have still been here.
[/quote]

Oh I agree Bobcat, but why did he leave?

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1206575" timestamp="1333592849"]
To be totally honest, I know that he was reassigned for supposedly pushing a kid down in PE.  Josh was in that class and said he had no idea what was going on.  I have always hated that he left, I think it was a loss for the school.
[/quote]

That is not what happen but close anyway I agree with you it was a loss for the school. But again parents caused this. I  personally watched this man greet every kid every morning at the elementary.  Now do I know the whole story No I do not. Actually I wrote an article in the Orange leader about this and Mr Gentry called me into his office and said I should not have because I did not know everything. But that was the Supt talking.  My point is these coaches and teachers are under a Microscope and why? They can't even breath without wondering if they will have a job tomorrow. They went to college for 4 years and for what? To get paided nothing and have do deal with this and we wonder why we have a shortage of teachers and coaches are not far behind.

I agree with the fact that teachers and coaches get paid a pittance for their efforts.  However, I know some teachers that were there when I was in school that were HORRIBLE.  And were still there up until they finally retired a few years ago. My personal opinion is that teachers have more protection than average people in the workforce.  After all, how many people at OF that you know have actually been relieved of thier duties for poor performance? The coach we discussed is one of the few.  Here is the deal, people that do a good job don't have to worry about it. I mean, you must be doing a good job since they let you get on message boards all day... lol

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1206598" timestamp="1333595037"]
I agree with the fact that teachers and coaches get paid a pittance for their efforts.  However, I know some teachers that were there when I was in school that were HORRIBLE.  And were still there up until they finally retired a few years ago. My personal opinion is that teachers have more protection than average people in the workforce.  After all, how many people at OF that you know have actually been relieved of thier duties for poor performance? The coach we discussed is one of the few.  Here is the deal, people that do a good job don't have to worry about it. I mean, you must be doing a good job since they let you get on message boards all day... lol
[/quote]

Becareful what you say because you are on here also. It would be nice if everyone was perfect like you then it would be utopia. ;D Who are you to judge? Just saying man!!!!

Some teachers are better than others just like coaches. I agree with that but I will never call them out. Because they do a service most are not willing to do and that includes me and you. I promise you there is not a school district in this state that has a perfect teacher at every grade. To say some of your teacher's was horrible right or wrong was uncalled for.

I was kidding with you about the being on the message board :) I'm gonna change your name to Mr. Sensitive :D I didn't name the name of the teacher. I agree that there is no way that everyone can be a great teacher or coach, however I will say this the best teacher I ever had was Coach Condrey (sp?) for Texas History in 7th grade.  He literally gave me a love for history.  In the mean time I had a lot of good teachers, and to be honest, I wasn't exactly a stellar student :) However, history is what motivated me and when I stepped into US history at a junior the teacher said, and I quote, "I hate history, I don't know why we have it, but since it is part of the curriculum we will just get through the year." Now you tell me my friend, is that a teacher that the school would want to keep around forever? I will say this, of all of the teachers that I personally had at OF AND the teachers all of my kids have had while going there I would say that 95% of them range from good to great.  There is nothing wrong Mr. Sensitive,  8) with encouraging all of them to step up.  Are you with me now bud?

Also, I received a text this morning from someone that was reading, and asking what is going on.  Let's be clear, I don't really dislike anyone, and am not saying what I am saying based on anything but what I feel is best for all of the kids in OF.  I don't care if it is Huck, or whoever.  I will be totally supportive of an AD, Coach, teacher, volunteer in the community or whatever as long as they are supportive of all of the kids.  I don't have an ax to grind with anyone. My main motivation for posting on here is to support friends that I have known for literally 40 years. They are the ones doing their thankless job for zero pay, it is because they have a vested interest in the community, and their loyalty doesn't lie with a paycheck or some personal glory. One of the board members graduated from HS with me.  I would challenge anyone to show me a person with a kinder heart than she has.  It is amazing to me that everyone jumps on a bandwagon to support a teacher or coach, and yet won't do the same thing with a board member.