OF School Board considering not renewing Huckabay's contract?/CONTRACT RENEWED!!

I totally agree on the discipline which is what is getting missed.  I have coached kids for 20 years and no one will ever say that I am against it.  My point is your kid didnt practice kickball to get to better @ basketball and if they would have been practicing it during your athletic time I am sure that alot of people would have been upset back in in the old glory years.  I have said in an open forum that I think he is a good fb coach, attend the games support the kids.  So when people get on her and talk about something they have no clue about it is a different story.  I never disagreed with any punishment nor did I not support it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1202572" timestamp="1332868358"]
I have a question.

What is the grievance filed in regards to the girls athletic program about? It is the first item on the agenda tonight.
[/quote]

I'd like to know the answer to that as well.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="1202570" timestamp="1332867681"]
I totally agree on the discipline which is what is getting missed.  I have coached kids for 20 years and no one will ever say that I am against it.  My point is your kid didnt practice kickball to get to better @ basketball and if they would have been practicing it during your athletic time I am sure that alot of people would have been upset back in in the old glory years.  I have said in an open forum that I think he is a good fb coach, attend the games support the kids.  So when people get on her and talk about something they have no clue about it is a different story.  I never disagreed with any punishment nor did I not support it.
[/quote]
Kids that don't play football don't practice football sir. That is not what is going on here don't misconstrue the facts. If you are mad that football is a more taxing sport and requires more prep time than other sports then you just have a problem with football. If you are mad that workouts are supposedly taking away practice time from other sports then you are wrong, UIL gives a set amount of hours that can be practiced throughout the week, workouts during the period do not count towards that to my knowledge. So if that's your problem then grieve with the coach of that sport. Nobody is being punished for being in multiple sports, nobody is being punished for not playing football. Coach Huck has the BEST intentions for every athlete and every sport at OF. Is his system not working? Has EVERY sport not improved since he has implemented his system?

Answer this question.  What would be so bad with letting the sport that is in season work on their sport during the athletic period?  They could still lift.  They would just do it when the HEAD coach of that sport wanted to.  Is that some sort of crime.  I believe that is what most other 3A schools do.

When I played basketball in 2005, there were 7 of the 10 on varsity that did not play football and we did basketball workouts three days a week during football season and we were the first team in 50 years to go to the playoffs..... Hummm...I wonder why?

[quote name="catfever" post="1202584" timestamp="1332870639"]
Answer this question.  What would be so bad with letting the sport that is in season work on their sport during the athletic period?  They could still lift.  They would just do it when the HEAD coach of that sport wanted to.  Is that some sort of crime.  I believe that is what most other 3A schools do.
[/quote]
Most? Try a very Large majority....Not hard at all to implement.

[quote name="catfever" post="1202584" timestamp="1332870639"]
[/quote] When do you want them to lift? 6 am in the morning? Oh noooo that would be like "punishment" to the kids that played basketball and baseball. Coach Huck has given that opportunity. I know the baseball team did it in 2010 when they made a run in the playoffs. No system is going to be perfect, someone will always want something more.

Guest tamulonghorn
I've always been curious as to why a school district would even bother hiring a coach for other sports such as baseball, tennis, golf, basketball, soccer, etc if those coaches are not going to be allowed to run their program as they see fit during their season.  Why not just hire one coach/AD and let them do it all if one generic workout is best for all sports?  It would save the district a ton of money.

The problem is not with football or any other sport.  Based on your screen name i assume that you are a football guy.  You prob know everything there is to know about it. I don't even pretend to know about it But I would also say that you prob do not know about the other round ball.  For example would you use jump soles for your lineman work out?  Prob dont know what they are, most fb guys don't.  They help you with your jumping.  Do lineman need to jump, no they do not.  Most FB kids who come in after the season are in no shape to play basketball, why you ask, because there is not as much running.  Why, because different workout.  You hear of basketball players becoming tight ends in college and pro.  How many football guys become basketball guys? Just look at our court this year. As far as UIL this hour is included in the practice time.  The UIL also says that during off season that a kid may not be required to workout on a game day either varsity or subvarsity.  Did we do it during fb season, no we did not.  As a matter of fact we didnt do it day before either.  Did we during basketball and and baseball, yes we are.  The point of all of this is that I support all sports, not just the ones that my kids play.  Sometimes we succeed in spite of ourselves.  The taxing part, when was the last time you ran up and down a floor for 40 mins?  Been a long time for me but I still remember it just as I am sure you remember the last hit you took on a football field.  No comparison, both hurt and make you remember it. I applaud your passoin for your sport but I can have mine too.  Thats the great part of being a bobcat, we should all want the best for all of our athletes.

Hahaha woww it is a common practice to life more in offseason to build strength that you can utilize during season. I actually LOL'd at that comment. And basically that is what Huck does, he makes a generic workout program for everybody. Also I caught wind that some schoolboard members were complaining that the basketball program was being to soft and lenient on the kids, maybe thats why Huck wants them all to workout together so he can make sure that at least for one part of the day he can implement his discipline to all athletes alike.

Guest tamulonghorn
So why not save the district some money and hire one coach/AD to coach it all since you can't trust other people to do what they were hired to do?  Whether it be because they are being too soft or whatever.  Lets help the school district and the kids.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="1202596" timestamp="1332872566"]
The problem is not with football or any other sport.  Based on your screen name i assume that you are a football guy.  You prob know everything there is to know about it. I don't even pretend to know about it But I would also say that you prob do not know about the other round ball.  For example would you use jump soles for your lineman work out?  Prob dont know what they are, most fb guys don't.  They help you with your jumping.  Do lineman need to jump, no they do not.  Most FB kids who come in after the season are in no shape to play basketball, why you ask, because there is not as much running.  Why, because different workout.  You hear of basketball players becoming tight ends in college and pro.  How many football guys become basketball guys? Just look at our court this year. As far as UIL this hour is included in the practice time.  The UIL also says that during off season that a kid may not be required to workout on a game day either varsity or subvarsity.  Did we do it during fb season, no we did not.  As a matter of fact we didnt do it day before either.  Did we during basketball and and baseball, yes we are.  The point of all of this is that I support all sports, not just the ones that my kids play.  Sometimes we succeed in spite of ourselves.  The taxing part, when was the last time you ran up and down a floor for 40 mins?  Been a long time for me but I still remember it just as I am sure you remember the last hit you took on a football field.  No comparison, both hurt and make you remember it. I applaud your passoin for your sport but I can have mine too.  Thats the great part of being a bobcat, we should all want the best for all of our athletes.
[/quote]
True football is my favorite sport, but I also played basketball and football too. And actually YES you would use jump soles for a lineman! I do know what jump soles are, they increase your verticle, ankle strength, and injury recovery dramatically. They also make you faster. For a lineman you definitely want all of those. Shows your knowledge of what type of workouts go for what sport. Also the offseason kids run 200's during the offseason right? So why aren't they in shape for basketball? Maybe they aren't running hard enough. As for the part about taxation on your body, honestly it is completely ridiculous to compare a football game to 40 minutes of cardio. I support all sports which is why I am here defending coach Huck because since he has been at OF all of our sports have IMPROVED! His system is working. You cannot argue the facts buddy!

I guess you misunderstood what I wrote.  During the football season, the basketball and baseball players lifted a workout ONCE a week.  After football season, everyone started lifting twice a week.  That is news to me about the basketball program being too lenient.  My son was a part of it, and never thought that once.

Guest tamulonghorn
[quote]I support all sports which is why I am here defending coach Huck because since he has been at OF all of our sports have IMPROVED! His system is working. You cannot argue the facts buddy![/quote]

Man!  Those are awesome statistics.  I say go for it!  One workout, one season, one team, one dream!!!  Make it happen.  One coach/AD for all sports.  No doubt this is on the cusp of a state wide trend.  These school districts in their financial crunches will love the money saving and program improving all at the same time.

Did we use any of those for our workout?  No, did we have them, yes.  Did basketball use to be able to do them, yes, can we now, no.  Do you think that 8 200's once a week will get you into basketball shape?  Not sure when you played but will not now.  All teams are in athletics with the same workout everyday.  Most other teams while in season are working on fundamentals, etc, we do not.  As far as the records what are you basing this on, football?  Our other records have not gotten any better, we no longer have 3 teams in football so not sure what you are basing it on.  If you are saying our FB record has gotten better then I will agree. 

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="1202608" timestamp="1332873934"]
Did we use any of those for our workout?  No, did we have them, yes.  Did basketball use to be able to do them, yes, can we now, no.  Do you think that 8 200's once a week will get you into basketball shape?  Not sure when you played but will not now.  All teams are in athletics with the same workout everyday.  Most other teams while in season are working on fundamentals, etc, we do not.  As far as the records what are you basing this on, football?  Our other records have not gotten any better, we no longer have 3 teams in football so not sure what you are basing it on.  If you are saying our FB record has gotten better then I will agree.
[/quote] Okay obviously our football team has improved, did our baseball team not make a run in 2010? Did our basketball team not just end a stellar season? How about our track teams? They are competing like no other and doing well!

All of the teams do the same thing when fb is not in season.  The rules change after fb season is over.  The other teams do lift during the season.  Did they do bobcat builders on Wed during fb season?  The answer , no.  When did they start, immediately after fb season.  The only time that the comradarie is important is when fb is over.  And then, they are still in groups of fb kids and non football kids.  The bball guys then would lift after that to get their weight work in done so that they would not have to lift on Sat.  Not sure where you got your info on the complaints of leniency in bball.  I know some parents complained because kids were maxing out the day before a game and if you were to ask a basketball coach any of them would tell you it makes no sense.

I realize that times change. When I was in school at Orangefield we did offseason football during basketball, track and baseball season. Not saying it was fair but just the way it was. Just to show you how things have changed. The preachers son play football and Big Ed grabbed him on the sidelines and kind of pushed him to show him something well the preacher did not like that so the next day he went to talk to big Ed. He walks in his office with out knocking. Big Ed told him to walk back outside and knock before you come into my office. So the preacher did, he sat down and they begin to talk. The talk was good at first. Ed was trying to tell his side of the story and he could see he was getting nowhere with the preacher so finally he stopped looked at the preacher and said " you stick to preaching and I will stick to coaching" now get out of my office. LOL!!!!! good old days!!!!!

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="1202661" timestamp="1332878643"]
All of the teams do the same thing when fb is not in season.  The rules change after fb season is over.  The other teams do lift during the season.  Did they do bobcat builders on Wed during fb season?  The answer , no.  When did they start, immediately after fb season.  The only time that the comradarie is important is when fb is over.  And then, they are still in groups of fb kids and non football kids.  The bball guys then would lift after that to get their weight work in done so that they would not have to lift on Sat.  Not sure where you got your info on the complaints of leniency in bball.  I know some parents complained because kids were maxing out the day before a game and if you were to ask a basketball coach any of them would tell you it makes no sense.
[/quote]
Where in the rules does it say that the workout must stay the same throughout each season? What is your problem with the bobcat builders not being done during football season? Have you asked Coach what his reasoning is? He has a reason for everything. I got my info about the complaints on leniency in bball from a primary source. They came about right after the incident last season. And if you are complaining that bball is working harder during their season than football does, you must get a grip on reality. He pushes those kids to the max during football season, and as the past few years have shown it is working. Most importantly I am wondering who ya'll are going to find that will be a better replacement than Coach Huck? If ya'll want the best for the the kids and the program ya'll will realize that it is going to be a big mistake if they let him go.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder