Local High School Basketball Talent Off The Chart

Dove I agree to a certain extent. Tell me this you've got a guy that goes to a small school that lives 45 min from the nearest town and his parents can't afford to drive him into town  for aau  practice but is easily good enough to be the best player on the team but can't play. Then you have a kid that goes to a big school that lives 5 min from the school where aau practice is being held. That's 1sounds disadvantage.  Another let's say the same two kids are playing on the same night and they are both equal in talent and size but the kid at the small school is playing in the middle of nowhere tx. And the other kid is playing for let's say yates against wheatley where do you think those college coaches are going?  And a 3rd disadvantage is the small school guy has a young head coach with no connections and an AD that hates basketball and just wants football year around. And the big school guy has a head coach that has college coaches on speed dial. So you tell me which one has a better chance at going to a major D1. Now keep in mind im not saying the small school guy just scores as many points as the big school guy cause obviously the talent a small school guy plays against is alot weaker but im saying the small school guy if put in the same situation as the big school guy would have the exact same stats

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="D WADE" post="1196788" timestamp="1331666943"]
Dove I agree to a certain extent. Tell me this you've got a guy that goes to a small school that lives 45 min from the nearest town and his parents can't afford to drive him into town  for aau  practice but is easily good enough to be the best player on the team but can't play. Then you have a kid that goes to a big school that lives 5 min from the school where aau practice is being held. That's 1sounds disadvantage.  Another let's say the same two kids are playing on the same night and they are both equal in talent and size but the kid at the small school is playing in the middle of nowhere tx. And the other kid is playing for let's say yates against wheatley where do you think those college coaches are going?  And a 3rd disadvantage is the small school guy has a young head coach with no connections and an AD that hates basketball and just wants football year around. And the big school guy has a head coach that has college coaches on speed dial. So you tell me which one has a better chance at going to a major D1. Now keep in mind im not saying the small school guy just scores as many points as the big school guy cause obviously the talent a small school guy plays against is alot weaker but im saying the small school guy if put in the same situation as the big school guy would have the exact same stats
[/quote] Hmm? Sounds like you're speaking from a personal experience :D  I definitely see your points and hold truth. But the landscape has changed so much now. A small town kid, I would definitely get him in a showcase for unsigned seniors. They're in Central and WestTexas areas along with Houston and Dallas Metro areas.

Not me personally I played way before aau was even thought about.  I have just seen this happen far to many times. And your point about getting in the senior showcase how many major colleges are still looking for a guy usually kids at that level have been being looked at by their  junior yr

[quote name="D WADE" post="1196814" timestamp="1331671581"]
Not me personally I played way before aau was even thought about.  I have just seen this happen far to many times. And your point about getting in the senior showcase how many major colleges are still looking for a guy usually kids at that level have been being looked at by their  junior yr
[/quote]Maybe a few JUCO's, D-2's, etc.

[quote name="ABSENT!" post="1197230" timestamp="1331754818"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=97235.msg1196673#msg1196673 date=1331658584]
Would it be safe to say J. Brown is really the only major talent from this area in the last 5 years?
[/quote]

Kris Richards was up there too... Three year starter at Tulane
[/quote]Never seen Kris play other than in pick up games, but I would have to agree with you based on what he has accomplished at Tulane.

[quote name="ABSENT!" post="1197233" timestamp="1331755079"]
Richard played most recently at Team Rio de Janeiro (Eurobasket) in the U.S. While playing 3 games for Rio de Janeiro last season he recorded 19.7ppg, 8.3rpg, 6.3apg, 2.3spg and 1.7bpg.
[/quote]Also heard he was a good student at Ozen and Tulane  ;)

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1197001" timestamp="1331688906"]
Donahoe was decent but NOT D1 good. He didn't have the skill set of Brown. Saw each play a lot in high school.
[/quote].      Decent?  Decent enough to be 3-a player of the year?  Decent enough to be tourney MVP in Austin when he won a 3-a ring?  Tell me what brown had in his skill set that Donahoe didn't because I saw them both play many more games than u did.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1197248" timestamp="1331758003"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=97235.msg1197001#msg1197001 date=1331688906]
Donahoe was decent but NOT D1 good. He didn't have the skill set of Brown. Saw each play a lot in high school.
[/quote].      Decent?  Decent enough to be 3-a player of the year?  Decent enough to be tourney MVP in Austin when he won a 3-a ring?  Tell me what brown had in his skill set that Donahoe didn't because I saw them both play many more games than u did.
[/quote] Nash, and  with all those accolades, why is it that those *particular schools* never show up in Sour Lake?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1197254" timestamp="1331758837"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=97235.msg1197248#msg1197248 date=1331758003]
[/quote] Nash, and  with all those accolades, why is it that those *particular schools* never show up in Sour Lake?     
[/quote]. Donahoe declined the offer in the hj gym.  Dove I know how closely attuned u r to local basketball but I am reasonably confident u haven't the foggiest idea of who visits the gym .  Prudhomme was observed by several coaches during the playoffs who made specific trips to watch him

[quote name="stevenash" post="1197328" timestamp="1331767043"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=97235.msg1197254#msg1197254 date=1331758837]
[/quote]. Donahoe declined the offer in the hj gym.  Dove I know how closely attuned u r to local basketball but I am reasonably confident u haven't the foggiest idea of who visits the gym .  Prudhomme was observed by several coaches during the playoffs who made specific trips to watch him
[/quote] Steve not taking anything away from Shawn, but If the best player in the area could not get a D1 look last yr I just dont see him getting one this yr. DC beat HJ 3 yrs  and he is at JrCo.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1197328" timestamp="1331767043"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=97235.msg1197254#msg1197254 date=1331758837]
[/quote] Not really about who visited the gym Nash. Thats not he point. Its who gets the *firm* offer. You had a kid to get an offer but was waiting for .......need I finish? Nope. You know the history and his handler ;)

[quote name="stevenash" post="1197356" timestamp="1331771203"]
Prudhomme has two pretty solid possibilities not sure if he has a firm offer but the interest is high from two schools-  if anybody is interested I will give three to one odds he winds up at a d-1 school on a scholarship
[/quote] I truly wish the kid all the luck in the world. I just know he is not quite as good as DC was last yr. And he is playing Jr Co.  After the tour of try outs that I went to last yr with my son, I realized that there are ALOT of kids that are really good that have to go the Jr Co route  to get in the D1 schools

Steve I would love to take your $$$ but I would never bet against a KID getting help to go to school... Like I said I wish him alll the luck in the world, But I have seen him play, and I saw DC, and some of the other kids that were as good last yr, And none of them are playing D1 now. But there is nothing wrong with going the Jr Co route

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder