Local High School Basketball Talent Off The Chart

[quote name="stevenash" post="1197426" timestamp="1331777737"]
He won't need luck-I am pretty confident that he will get a d-1 scholarship- it won't be too long till I am proven wrong or right
[/quote]I'm sure he will play ball in college. No question about it. But True Blue referenced a legit point. Either its being ignored, swept under a rug, or some of us are blind to whats going on.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1197519" timestamp="1331816059"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=97235.msg1197426#msg1197426 date=1331777737]
He won't need luck-I am pretty confident that he will get a d-1 scholarship- it won't be too long till I am proven wrong or right
[/quote]I'm sure he will play ball in college. No question about it. But True Blue referenced a legit point. Either its being ignored, swept under a rug, or some of us are blind to whats going on.
[/quote]

And that legitimate point would be what?

One correction to an earlier point; it is true that most of the major D-1's already have signed who they want by this time.  Consequently the mid-majors and low D-1's often have to wait and see who is left after the big boys sign their kids.  It is not uncommon at all for a kid to get a full ride scholarship this time of year, it will just probably be from a mid or low D-1 school. 

And on the juco comments earlier, absolutely there is nothing wrong with [b]ANY[/b] college scholarship or opportunity.  However, Prudhomme will have several D-1 choices from what I understand.  Stallworth was a great player, but he was a tweener.  He basically played post in HS at 6'4".  Prudhomme is a little over 6'3" and plays guard.  To borrow one of DV's favorite phrases, it's "apples & oranges".

[quote name="True Blue" post="1197418" timestamp="1331776988"]
Steve I would love to take your $$$ but I would never bet against a KID getting help to go to school... Like I said I wish him alll the luck in the world, But I have seen him play, and I saw DC, and some of the other kids that were as good last yr, And none of them are playing D1 now. But there is nothing wrong with going the Jr Co route
[/quote] The phrase " JuCo route " is a bit misleading. IMO - it leads one to believe that it is a stop along the way to a D-1 career when (and I would gladly entertain 3-1 odds on this) in fact maybe 1 out of 100 (1%)of the kids who do play JuCo never get a shot @ moving up to a D-1 scholarship.

[quote name="Pumper" post="1197536" timestamp="1331818904"]
One correction to an earlier point; it is true that most of the major D-1's already have signed who they want by this time.  Consequently the mid-majors and low D-1's often have to wait and see who is left after the big boys sign their kids.  It is not uncommon at all for a kid to get a full ride scholarship this time of year, it will just probably be from a mid or low D-1 school. 

And on the juco comments earlier, absolutely there is nothing wrong with [b]ANY[/b] college scholarship or opportunity.  However, Prudhomme will have several D-1 choices from what I understand.  Stallworth was a great player, but he was a tweener.  He basically played post in HS at 6'4".  Prudhomme is a little over 6'3" and plays guard.  To borrow one of DV's favorite phrases, it's "apples & oranges".
[/quote]Ahhhh! Pumper is getting close to the problem as to what I'm getting at.........tweener ;) #2: And yes there are a [color=red]few openings[/color] at mids and low d1's. Question? How many does Lamar currently have available? I rest my case

[quote name="Pumper" post="1197536" timestamp="1331818904"]

[/quote]Can Shawn run point?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1197564" timestamp="1331822155"]
[quote author=Pumper link=topic=97235.msg1197536#msg1197536 date=1331818904]

[/quote]

I wouldnt think so but, then again, I learned a long time ago that my opinion (and yours, for that matter) do not have much bearing on  how a college might perceive a potential player.  I can only tell you that he has three sincere interests from D-1 at the moment and I repeat, if you dont think any of it will materialize, just tell me how much you want to invest in your "guaranteed" 300% return.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1197568" timestamp="1331822498"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=97235.msg1197564#msg1197564 date=1331822155]
[quote author=Pumper link=topic=97235.msg1197536#msg1197536 date=1331818904]

[/quote]

I wouldnt think so but, then again, I learned a long time ago that my opinion (and yours, for that matter) do not have much bearing on  how a college might perceive a potential player.  I can only tell you that he has three sincere interests from D-1 at the moment and I repeat, if you dont think any of it will materialize, just tell me how much you want to invest in your "guaranteed" 300% return.
[/quote] I've never said nor hinted that he would not play college ball. I think he will. My question was a legit question. Can he run point? At 6'3", thats a good size for a point guard in college.

How would we classify Lamar?  Mid D-1?  Low D-1?  It's a matter of opinion, but they did make the tournament.

Their point guard is 6'1"", 2-guard is 6'1", and believe it or not their best rebounder was 6'2" and played a forward.

Another example, though they were not good this year.  LSU's point guard was 5'11" and a sometimes starter at 2 was 5'9".

A typical Southland conference off guard is about 6'2".  I'm sure that they would love to have bigger kids, but at that level a 6'3" kid playing the 2 or 3 position will fit right in. Doubt you'll find many point guards his size at schools like that.

I've been missing out on a great debate...Guys, listen...Right now, the kids that sign in the spring either have borderline grade issues, and a high major coach thinks he is good enough to wait and see if that kid qualifies, OR they are going the Juco, D-2, NAIA, route, which EITHER WAY is a win for the kid...People, especially those AAU knuckleheads, put way too much emphasis on HIGH MAJOR D-1 options, which is in my opinion just stupid...MOST of these kids will have NO SHOT at NBA money, and few will be able to continue overseas after their college career ends...SO, the goal SHOULD be to enjoy playing the sport that they love, do well in their classes and enjoy the perks of obtaining a FREE EDUCATION...Kids that waste a college scholarship on basketball (meaning they don't graduate) should be required to pay it back!

With that said I feel that Shawn Prudhomme from HJ is NOT a HIGH major D-1 talent RIGHT NOW, but he can play at the Division 1 level...SFA, Lamar, Sam Houston, or he could go the D-1 Junior college route.....He is athletic and shoots the ball fairly well, but has no real position (I would call him a "3" on the next level)..and quite honestly, a kid like that, with his kind of upside, COULD greatly benefit from a good division 1 junior college...I could see him thriving at that level for his first two seasons and moving on in division 1..He is a lot like Keena Young was (Ozen 03) who went to South Plains JC, then BYU...Its a legit option for him.

[quote name="Pumper" post="1197588" timestamp="1331824476"]
How would we classify Lamar?  Mid D-1?  Low D-1?  It's a matter of opinion, but they did make the tournament.

Their point guard is 6'1"", 2-guard is 6'1", and believe it or not their best rebounder was 6'2" and played a forward.

Another example, though they were not good this year.  LSU's point guard was 5'11" and a sometimes starter at 2 was 5'9".

A typical Southland conference off guard is about 6'2".  I'm sure that they would love to have bigger kids, but at that level a 6'3" kid playing the 2 or 3 position will fit right in. Doubt you'll find many point guards his size at schools like that.
[/quote]Mid-D1. A 6'3" pg guard would be a blessing but definitely not necessary. My 6'3" comparison was only in relation to the player at HJ and whether or not he can play the point. It would just be an added addition to his resume if he can. You can get away with smaller size in Southland. Even Vermont took a little advantage last night  ;)

[quote name="stevenash" post="1197605" timestamp="1331825564"]
You bring up another interesting issue in Vermont, Dove.  In the contest last night, would you( you too DV) say that intellect or athleticism prevailed?  Please, no spin, just an honest appraisal.
[/quote] LOL! Nash, I couldn't enjoy the game last night knowing you would bring this up. LOL! Here is my answer! I think Vermont played a very smart game and hustled their tails off against a seemingly more athletic team in Lamar. We will discuss this further when and if Vermont meets South Flordia and when S.F. beats Vermont.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1197605" timestamp="1331825564"]
You bring up another interesting issue in Vermont, Dove.  In the contest last night, would you( you too DV) say that intellect or athleticism prevailed?  Please, no spin, just an honest appraisal.
[/quote]
Vermont was a better TEAM.....They defended well, and played with great patience and poise..That program has won a tournament game in the last few years (vs. Syracuse in 2005)......Having greater "intellect" played no part in their win last night... ::)

For what it's worth, athletic does not = dumb, nor does non-athletic = smart. 

Having said that, Vermont played a very "smart" game in that they followed their game plan to near perfection.  Slowed the game down, used clock, set screens well and hit open shots.  Made their free throws; very few turnovers.  Took advantage of nearly every Lamar mistake.

Lamar did not play well or "smart".  They stood around a lot on offense, especially in the first half.  Their offense is supposed to be "motion", which should mean lots of screening, cutting, and movement to get open shots.  They mostly stood around until somebody went one-on-one.  Had quite a few mental lapses on defense where a Vermont player ended up wide open for a layup of short jumper.  Also had some inexplicable stupid fouls with less than 5 on the shot clock to bail out Vermont.

Lamar is capable of playing a very "smart" ball game, but did not do so yesterday.  Vermont played very "smart" and a nearly perfect game.

[quote name="Lt. Dangle" post="1197537" timestamp="1331819221"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=97235.msg1197418#msg1197418 date=1331776988]
Steve I would love to take your $$$ but I would never bet against a KID getting help to go to school... Like I said I wish him alll the luck in the world, But I have seen him play, and I saw DC, and some of the other kids that were as good last yr, And none of them are playing D1 now. But there is nothing wrong with going the Jr Co route
[/quote] The phrase " JuCo route " is a bit misleading. IMO - it leads one to believe that it is a stop along the way to a D-1 career when (and I would gladly entertain 3-1 odds on this) in fact maybe 1 out of 100 (1%)of the kids who do play JuCo never get a shot @ moving up to a D-1 scholarship.
[/quote] Ok so your saying that only 1% of the kids that play Jr Co go on to play D1. So what do you think the % of kid that come from high school even make the Jr Co teams. Out of all the kids from the local area I know of only 4 from last yr teams. I dont follow the bigger 5a teams so I might have mised some. But 4 from the whole area is a very low % I would think

[quote name="True Blue" post="1197675" timestamp="1331831350"]
[quote author=Lt. Dangle link=topic=97235.msg1197537#msg1197537 date=1331819221]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=97235.msg1197418#msg1197418 date=1331776988]
[/quote] Ok so your saying that only 1% of the kids that play Jr Co go on to play D1. So what do you think the % of kid that come from high school even make the Jr Co teams. Out of all the kids from the local area I know of only 4 from last yr teams. I dont follow the bigger 5a teams so I might have mised some. But 4 from the whole area is a very low % I would think
[/quote] Ding! Ding! And the prize goes to TB for his brief summation on why many local kids are not getting the opportunity play ball in college these last few years. new thread?

Guys it all comes down to exsposure, exsposure and exsposure.  The kids that play AAU ball get a lot of exsposure playing teams from Houston and Dallas.  Whether they play on a team in the area or one in Houston, its about exsposure.  Take Prudhomme for example, I go to alot of AAU tournaments and I didnt see him enough not just playing, but dominating in the the tournaments, like he does at HJ. College coaches want to see 3a and 2a players play at the same level against guys from 4a and 5a.  And the only time they play against those guys is during AAU season.  And when that college coach dont see that, guess what.  He goes looking elsewhere.

[quote name="PA4Life" post="1197952" timestamp="1331873311"]
Guys it all comes down to exsposure, exsposure and exsposure.  The kids that play AAU ball get a lot of exsposure playing teams from Houston and Dallas.  Whether they play on a team in the area or one in Houston, its about exsposure.  Take Prudhomme for example, I go to alot of AAU tournaments and I didnt see him enough not just playing, but dominating in the the tournaments, like he does at HJ. College coaches want to see 3a and 2a players play at the same level against guys from 4a and 5a.  And the only time they play against those guys is during AAU season.  And when that college coach dont see that, guess what.  He goes looking elsewhere.
[/quote]Give a gold star to both DV and PA4Life for some very good points. I mean lets be honest here. Kids want to go to major D1's to play, whether its in football or basketball. And nothing wrong with having those dreams. I've known kids who had offers from schools like SFA, Lamar, etc. and sat back thinking they were going to get the offers from the big boys. Didn't happen.

But here is a reality question no one seems to want to address.....why only 4 players (?) playing college ball from last year???????

Parents need to know that they can get there son in a school, by sending him or her to the college elite camp that they offer.  They can video their kids games and make their own highlight tape. Parents can contact coaches, bring their kids to visit the campuses to meet coaches and get a feel of the college life.  Dont wait on the Head Coach of your school, your AAU coach or anyone to help get your kid in school.  Ive preached this time and time again to my players that it doesnt matter what school you attend, as long as you attend school.  Its all about getting a free education.  Kids and Parents need to remember that, its all about EDUCATION.  The NBA isnt guaranteed, but an EDUCATION is. So whether he plays D1, D2, NAIA, JUCO, D3.  It all boils down to getting an EDUCATION.

[quote name="PA4Life" post="1198019" timestamp="1331908696"]
Parents need to know that they can get there son in a school, by sending him or her to the college elite camp that they offer.  They can video their kids games and make their own highlight tape. Parents can contact coaches, bring their kids to visit the campuses to meet coaches and get a feel of the college life.  Dont wait on the Head Coach of your school, your AAU coach or anyone to help get your kid in school.  Ive preached this time and time again to my players that it doesnt matter what school you attend, as long as you attend school.  Its all about getting a free education.  Kids and Parents need to remember that, its all about EDUCATION.  The NBA isnt guaranteed, but an EDUCATION is. So whether he plays D1, D2, NAIA, JUCO, D3.  It all boils down to getting an EDUCATION.
[/quote]
I should sue this guy for plagerism.... ::) ::) 8)...PA4Life, you need to pay me for my comments or at least acknowledge where they came from!! ;D ;D...Good points.. ;)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1198056" timestamp="1331912845"]
[quote author=PA4Life link=topic=97235.msg1198019#msg1198019 date=1331908696]
[/quote]
I should sue this guy for plagerism.... ::) ::) 8)...PA4Life, you need to pay me for my comments or at least acknowledge where they came from!! ;D ;D...Good points.. ;)
[/quote]

Were you possibly referring to plagiarism?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kush1298
    Newest Member
    kush1298