Local High School Basketball Talent Off The Chart

I witnessed something last night at a local gym that really got me excited. I saw players from HJ, Westbrook, Ozen, LCM, Central and a few other schools all playing together in the same gym. It was a sight to see. Guys, its different when you see these guys away from their respective schools and playing with other ballers. This area has talent. You could have a high school basketball power in this area if they all were [s]recruited[/s] .......errrrrr enrolled  ;D in one school.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody remember Marian Christian in Houston back in the 80's?  Literally had the top recruit in the nation in Tito Horford, as well as many other D-1 players.  All at a private school with around 200 kids.  The school does not exist any more.

I know of no other purpose it had other than to be a basketball factory.  Recruited heavily in the Houston area (and apparently in Africa as well).

It can happen, and it has happened. 

Bates in Beaumont it is!

This area has ALWAYS had really good talent...Its no surprise to me...MOST of it has been at Westbrook throughout the last 20 years or so...think about it...Luke Jackson (Syracuse), Aljay Foreman (Centenary) Omar Sneed (Memphis), Paris Corner, Golden Corner, Jeremy Long, Trey McDowell, Harvey Eldridge, and the list goes on and on...Central has had their share as well....Port Arthur capitilized on their talent pool, but overall individual talent...Beaumont had much more..

[quote name="patrick thomas 89" post="1196476" timestamp="1331609246"]
Tito horford is where my nickname came from. Lol, my older cousin Daniel jones, way back in 87 gave me dat name, bcuz he said Tito didn,t rebound enuf, and he always had more points than rebounds. I loved to score, wasn,t da best rebounder, but I shoulda been n my young year as a soph.
[/quote]fyi: Tito'S son plays for Atlanta

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1196310" timestamp="1331596264"]
This area has ALWAYS had really good talent...Its no surprise to me...MOST of it has been at Westbrook throughout the last 20 years or so...think about it...Luke Jackson (Syracuse), Aljay Foreman (Centenary) Omar Sneed (Memphis), Paris Corner, Golden Corner, Jeremy Long, Trey McDowell, Harvey Eldridge, and the list goes on and on...Central has had their share as well....Port Arthur capitilized on their talent pool, but overall individual talent...Beaumont had much more..
[/quote]

Ahhh Dickey V, I have to beg to differ regarding Beaumont having much more overall individual talent.  Port Arthur Lincoln alone has a very long list of talent as well just going back to their first State Championship team in 1981:
Michael Jaco (All State -Creighton), Leonard Allen (All State - San Diego State), Anthony Allen (All State - Georgetown), Kevin Bush, Bryan Sallier (1st Team All State football & basketball Oklahoma -Pro bball overseas) B.J. Tyler (All State - Texas - 1st pick Philadelphia 76ers), Keith Harris (Tulane), Steven Jackson (Now Milwaukee Bucks) Kelvin McKyer (All State), Emmanuel McElroy (All State - Cincinnati), Brannon (Houston), of course there are many names that I have left off the list.  I just listed some of the most notable.

The Golden Triangle has always had a lot of talent, in all sports.  However, until the late 80's or early 90's, it was not regarded as such, especially for basketball.  If there was a school like that in Beaumont, I would expect them to dominate.

I think all parents should follow Blue Dove and move them out of Yates way!! Go to Ozen or Central and avoid Yates at all cost.  I remember the days that HF was going to win all these state championships with the Dove Boys leading way, now they move to avoid Yates moving down to 3A.  Blue Dove must be related to Floyd Mayweather have not seen someone dodge ballers(Yates) like Mayweather dodges Pac Man.  Blue dove loves his fixed boxing and recruited HS basketball teams

[quote name="atb63" post="1196584" timestamp="1331648829"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=97235.msg1196310#msg1196310 date=1331596264]
[/quote]

Ahhh Dickey V, I have to beg to differ regarding Beaumont having much more overall individual talent.  Port Arthur Lincoln alone has a very long list of talent as well just going back to their first State Championship team in 1981:
Michael Jaco (All State -Creighton), Leonard Allen (All State - San Diego State), Anthony Allen (All State - Georgetown), Kevin Bush, Bryan Sallier (1st Team All State football & basketball Oklahoma -Pro bball overseas) B.J. Tyler (All State - Texas - 1st pick Philadelphia 76ers), Keith Harris (Tulane), Steven Jackson (Now Milwaukee Bucks) Kelvin McKyer (All State), Emmanuel McElroy (All State - Cincinnati), Brannon (Houston), of course there are many names that I have left off the list.  I just listed some of the most notable.

The Golden Triangle has always had a lot of talent, in all sports.  However, until the late 80's or early 90's, it was not regarded as such, especially for basketball.  If there was a school like that in Beaumont, I would expect them to dominate.
[/quote]
NO QUESTION that Port Arthur had talent..BUT I said in THE LAST 20 years, means dating back to like 1992...Beaumont has had more...No knock on PA, its just that PA did MORE with less than Beaumont, riding heavily on tradition and having a great overall program.

[quote name="Dove Hunter" post="1196606" timestamp="1331651010"]
I think all parents should follow Blue Dove and move them out of Yates way!! Go to Ozen or Central and avoid Yates at all cost.  I remember the days that HF was going to win all these state championships with the Dove Boys leading way, now they move to avoid Yates moving down to 3A.  Blue Dove must be related to Floyd Mayweather have not seen someone dodge ballers(Yates) like Mayweather dodges Pac Man.  Blue dove loves his fixed boxing and recruited HS basketball teams
[/quote]Nah, ya gotta face them in summer BDHunter.  Never run away from the best compeition ;)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1196608" timestamp="1331651208"]
[quote author=atb63 link=topic=97235.msg1196584#msg1196584 date=1331648829]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=97235.msg1196310#msg1196310 date=1331596264]
[/quote]

[/quote]
NO QUESTION that Port Arthur had talent..BUT I said in THE LAST 20 years, means dating back to like 1992...Beaumont has had more...No knock on PA, its just that PA did MORE with less than Beaumont, riding heavily on tradition and having a great overall program.
[/quote]

Dickey V, you are correct my friend.
In the last 20 years or so, Beamont has had much more.
The lone notable name from PA in the last 5 years or so that sticks out to me is J'Covan Brown.  Well, Dominique Keller also comes to mind, but that's about it.

I wouldn't say that He has been the only major talent out of this area but he is the only major talent from a big school to get the recognizion out of the area in the last 5 years. In my opinion Ryan Danahoe, Brandon Letsinger, or Tramaine Thomas all were very equal to the talent level of J'covan but they all went to small schools. Before people bash me, im not saying they were better but IMO J'covan wasnt head and shoulders better than  those three. My point is if J'covan is good enough to be they best player at Texas than these three easily could have played at a D-1 school somewhere. 

[quote name="D WADE" post="1196689" timestamp="1331660623"]
I wouldn't say that He has been the only major talent out of this area but he is the only major talent from a big school to get the recognizion out of the area in the last 5 years. In my opinion Ryan Danahoe, Brandon Letsinger, or [b]Tramaine Thomas all were very equal to the talent level of J'covan but they all went to small schools.[/b] Before people bash me, im not saying they were better but IMO J'covan wasnt head and shoulders better than  those three. My point is if J'covan is good enough to be they best player at Texas than these three easily could have played at a D-1 school somewhere.
[/quote]

Tremain hardly went to a small school. He went to the University of Arkansas on a football scholarship and has been starting at safety the last two seasons.

I wouldn't say that He has been the only major talent out of this area but he is the only major talent from a big school to get the recognizion out of the area in the last 5 years. In my opinion Ryan Danahoe, Brandon Letsinger, or Tramaine Thomas all were very equal to the talent level of J'covan but they all went to small schools. Before people bash me, im not saying they were better but IMO J'covan wasnt head and shoulders better than  those three. My point is if J'covan is good enough to be they best player at Texas than these three easily could have played at a D-1 school somewhere.
[/quote]

Very much agree.  Watched Donahoe and Brown play together in an all star game and there was little if any difference.  I am pretty sure that Donahoe would have been at a D-1 school ( I know of a legit offer he turned down) if he hadnt been influenced by an AAU guy.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1196697" timestamp="1331661129"]
[quote author=D WADE link=topic=97235.msg1196689#msg1196689 date=1331660623]
[/quote]

Very much agree.  Watched Donahoe and Brown play together in an all star game and there was little if any difference.  I am pretty sure that Donahoe would have been at a D-1 school ( I know of a legit offer he turned down) if he hadnt been influenced by an AAU guy.
[/quote]Donahoe was not recruited by any major D1 schools, like Brown. Let the debates begin ;)

[/quote]Basketball only! And I said MAJOR D1

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1196693" timestamp="1331660949"]
I wouldn't say that He has been the only major talent out of this area but he is the only major talent from a big school to get the recognizion out of the area in the last 5 years. In my opinion Ryan Danahoe, Brandon Letsinger, or [b]Tramaine Thomas all were very equal to the talent level of J'covan but they all went to small schools.[/b] Before people bash me, im not saying they were better but IMO J'covan wasnt head and shoulders better than  those three. My point is if J'covan is good enough to be they best player at Texas than thesthree easily could have played at a D-1 school somewhere.
[/quote]

Tremain hardly went to a small school. He went to the University of Arkansas on a football scholarship and has been starting at safety the last two seasons.
[/quote]
I didn't mean he went to a small college I meant a small highschool. Letsinger also went to a big college he went to Texas A&M on a track scholarship, after turning down a scholarship to angelina jc for basketball and a small offer from SFA to play basket my point was if those 3 would have gone to 5A highschools they would have gotten a D1 offers

[quote name="D WADE" post="1196719" timestamp="1331663069"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=97235.msg1196693#msg1196693 date=1331660949]
I wouldn't say that He has been the only major talent out of this area but he is the only major talent from a big school to get the recognizion out of the area in the last 5 years. In my opinion Ryan Danahoe, Brandon Letsinger, or [b]Tramaine Thomas all were very equal to the talent level of J'covan but they all went to small schools.[/b] Before people bash me, im not saying they were better but IMO J'covan wasnt head and shoulders better than  those three. My point is if J'covan is good enough to be they best player at Texas than thesthree easily could have played at a D-1 school somewhere.
[/quote]

[/quote]
I didn't mean he went to a small college I meant a small highschool. Letsinger also went to a big college he went to Texas A&M on a track scholarship, after turning down a scholarship to angelina jc for basketball and a small offer from SFA to play basket my point was if those 3 would have gone to 5A highschools they would have gotten a D1 offers
[/quote]I am a firm believer that if you attend a small school (high school or college) with major talent, the bigger programs will hear about you one way or another.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1196722" timestamp="1331663612"]
[quote author=D WADE link=topic=97235.msg1196719#msg1196719 date=1331663069]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=97235.msg1196693#msg1196693 date=1331660949]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]I am a firm believer that if you attend a small school (high school or college) with major talent, the bigger programs will hear about you one way or another.
[/quote]

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-02-11/news/31048175_1_jeremy-lin-setback-shooting-guard

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder