Liberty's Deel???

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess the people of Liberty should have thought about that before they ran Jeff Stewart out of town?

All that guy did ( and the one before him ) was win. ALOT. I not positive but I am pretty sure that those two made the playoff something like 15 out of 18 years! And several of those years going 3 rounds deep.

Look at it this way, at least Liberty has soccer now.  ;D

[quote name="Football Freak 1" post="1169757" timestamp="1328120342"]
Guess the people of Liberty should have thought about that before they ran Jeff Stewart out of town?

All that guy did ( and the one before him ) was win. ALOT. I not positive but I am pretty sure that those two made the playoff something like 15 out of 18 years! And several of those years going 3 rounds deep.

Look at it this way, at least Liberty has soccer now.  ;D
[/quote]So true Liberty misses Jeff Stewart. He made the playoffs 10 consective years in a row. Followed by back to back District Championships 2003 & 2004. Stewart also showed great life lessons and didn't make it easy for nobody. The program now in Liberty is to laid back, nobody has standards or goal anymore. All they wanna do is participate and wear the black and gold :( :( :( :(

I'm not sure why all of the heat on Coach Deel.  He only has 1 less playoff appearance than Coach Stewart had his last four years in Liberty.  And Coach Deel in his 4 years has the same number of winning seasons (1) that Coach Stewart had in his last 4.  I can see where folks think there may be a problem in Liberty, but can it really be assessed as a coaching problem?

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1169841" timestamp="1328126074"]
I'm not sure why all of the heat on Coach Deel.  He only has 1 less playoff appearance than Coach Stewart had his last four years in Liberty.  And Coach Deel in his 4 years has the same number of winning seasons (1) that Coach Stewart had in his last 4.  I can see where folks think there may be a problem in Liberty, but can it really be assessed as a coaching problem?
[/quote] The Coach has alot to do with it this past season was no reason why they should of been in the post season. I would say he is on the hot seat

Sorry WOSGRAD – I need to inform you so that you get the facts straight.  Coach Stewarts last 4 years:

2003 – 10-0 District Champs – Lost to Orangefield in the 1st round
2004 – District Champs – 2 or 3 deep in the playoffs & lost to eventual State runner-up
2005 – Tied for 3rd in District but did not make the playoffs due to head to head
2006 – Playoffs and got owned by WOS in the first round

So 2 of this last 4 years he won the District - and that is while Barbers Hill was still in the District.

In 2005 that was the first time that Stewart failed to at least make the playoffs in like a 10 year period – maybe longer.  I have to state that my son played all 4 of these years and I hated to see Coach Stewart let go.  As I have always stated that Liberty almost never had the best athletes under Coach Stewart but always was prepared to play. 

And before I get trashed – I am not saying that Liberty did not and does not have quality athletes – they just never had as many as the better teams that they faced.  I have always pointed to the fact that in 2006 they had 2 defensive tackles that played their heart out but one weighed less than 200 Lbs and the other was right at 200 Lbs – out sized on the offensive and defensive front in almost every game.

I am neither pro or con for Coach Deel – just that his teams do appear to under perform in what is normally a weak District - after the top team Coldsprings – from top to bottom.

Sorry - need to get my facts straight - forgot Coach Stewart coached the year after my son graduated and that year - 2007 - Liberty also did not make the playoffs.

Sorry - just needed to make sure I am as accurate as possible.

So he did make the playoffs 3 out of his last 5 years with 2 District Championships in that time.

[quote name="OldTimer" post="1169887" timestamp="1328133303"]
Sorry WOSGRAD – I need to inform you so that you get the facts straight.  Coach Stewarts last 4 years:

2004 – District Champs – 2 or 3 deep in the playoffs & lost to eventual State runner-up
2005 – Tied for 3rd in District but did not make the playoffs due to head to head

So 2 of this last 4 years he won the District - and that is while Barbers Hill was still in the District.

In 2005 that was the first time that Stewart failed to at least make the playoffs in like a 10 year period – maybe longer.  I have to state that my son played all 4 of these years and I hated to see Coach Stewart let go.  As I have always stated that Liberty almost never had the best athletes under Coach Stewart but always was prepared to play. 

And before I get trashed – I am not saying that Liberty did not and does not have quality athletes – they just never had as many as the better teams that they faced.  I have always pointed to the fact that in 2006 they had 2 defensive tackles that played their heart out but one weighed less than 200 Lbs and the other was right at 200 Lbs – out sized on the offensive and defensive front in almost every game.

I am neither pro or con for Coach Deel – just that his teams do appear to under perform in what is normally a weak District - after the top team Coldsprings – from top to bottom.
[/quote]

Sorry, but you are the one that needs to get the facts straight. Stewart's last year was 07, not 06.

So it Stewart's last 4 years go like this:

2004 - 5-7 overall, 4-1 in district, 2 round deep run (32-20 win over H-J, 44-13 loss to Jasper)
2005 - 5-4 overall, 3-2 in district, no playoffs
2006 - 4-7 overal, 3-2 in district, loss to WO-S 60-0 in bidistrict
2007 - 4-6 overall, 2-3 in district, no playoffs

Like I said, 1 winning season in Stewart's last 4 years.

And I am not here to trash Jeff Stewart.  He is as good as advertised and he did string together a number of good years at Liberty.  But I am just trying to say that Liberty's downturn in fortunes on the football field did not begin when Shane Deel took over as football coach.

[quote name="OldTimer" post="1169887" timestamp="1328133303"]

[/quote]Marcus James and Cody Caldwell!  They were some good ones...Beleive they were either #1&2 or #2&3 in tackles on tha team. Stewart had their motors running!

[quote name="TERMINATOR" post="1170095" timestamp="1328157980"]
The Pre-District teams that Stewart scheduled verses the Pre-District teams that Deel schedules is a lot different.  So comparing their overall records really isn't comparing apples to apples.
[/quote] yeah in 2004 Liberty played Silsbee, Bridge City, Hamshire Fannett, Stafford, and Kirbyville for there Non-District Schedule. Deel had Liberty scheduled against Hardin, Porter, Beaumont Kelly and Huntington. Very big differences in competion. Stewart always had Liberty ready for District with a tough schedule.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1169913" timestamp="1328136378"]
And I am not here to trash Jeff Stewart.  He is as good as advertised and he did string together a number of good years at Liberty.  But I am just trying to say that Liberty's downturn in fortunes on the football field did not begin when Shane Deel took over as football coach.
[/quote]
I think you are on to something WOSGrad.  I think there are several reasons for the decline.

1.  The enrollment at Liberty seems to be declining every year.  Fewer students means fewer athletes to choose from.
2.  The Board in Liberty has serious issues.  They want to control aspects of the Athletic Program that they have no business trying to control.
3.  The Administration in Liberty (Central office) does not have a commitment to making the athletic program successful.

And BTW you are right about Jeff Stewart.  He is a good FB coach.  I am surprised he has not tried to get a job somewhere else.  He would be a good fit in a lot of places.

I'd say Liberty being the county seat and having 1 of the few country clubs in the county they'd have had a stadium upgrade to turf long before Dayton & Hardin.Lawd I'm 62 and my dad helped build war memorial stadium as well as played there.For many,many yrs Liberty did not want growth,Daytonities could not join their elite Magnolia Ridge Country Club.Too much bad blood cross town hatred ;) :( :(

liltex - the true sad statement is that the Football field while old with just a little maintenance and upgrades thru the years would still be one of the better (but smaller) stadiums in the area.  But the school has done almost zero improvements for at least 20 years.  The lighting is bad and even the new speaker system is sub par.  Hell the last time the stadium was painted was in 2006 and that was done by the athletic booster club members or it would still be concrete grey (no paint).  The only reason that it finally got a new press box is that the hurricane toppled the last one.  A little money and elbow grease would go a long way to again make War Memorial Stadium one of the best in the area.

[quote name="Ex-Panther" post="1170115" timestamp="1328165832"]
[quote author=TERMINATOR link=topic=95266.msg1170095#msg1170095 date=1328157980]
The Pre-District teams that Stewart scheduled verses the Pre-District teams that Deel schedules is a lot different.  So comparing their overall records really isn't comparing apples to apples.
[/quote] yeah in 2004 Liberty played Silsbee, Bridge City, Hamshire Fannett, Stafford, and Kirbyville for there Non-District Schedule. Deel had Liberty scheduled against Hardin, Porter, Beaumont Kelly and Huntington. Very big differences in competion. Stewart always had Liberty ready for District with a tough schedule.
[/quote]
Deel's first 4 years he has had the same success as Stewart. WOSgrad had it dead on point. Yes, this past year there was absolutely no reason Liberty should not have been in the playoffs, but other than that he did what was expected. Deel isn't great, but neither was Stewart. Wish they would have hired Donald Douglas, he is having success coaching at the 5a level, not HC but still doing well, I feel he could relate better to some of the Liberty players who are deciding to fill Dayton's roster.

And I agree with TERMINATOR - I just briefly looked at the W-L records for the reams Liberty faced while under Stewart and then under Deel so far and it has not even been close - Liberty in preseason faced several teams that had 9 and 10 wins - Like Kirbyville, Silsbee and Bridge City - during Stewarts tenure.  Under Deel they have have not faced near the preseason schedule that Stewart's teams played.

[quote name="bronco1" post="1170171" timestamp="1328191285"]
All I want to know is if Deel is gonna schedule Dayton this year, like he promised when he started.
[/quote]He was just "flappin' his gums"---Liberty wants no part of the Broncos

[quote name="Diamond-J" post="1170463" timestamp="1328205149"]
[quote author=bronco1 link=topic=95266.msg1170171#msg1170171 date=1328191285]
All I want to know is if Deel is gonna schedule Dayton this year, like he promised when he started.
[/quote]He was just "flappin' his gums"---Liberty wants no part of the Broncos
[/quote]
LOL it's funny how 40 year old men talk crap about Dayton's superiority over Liberty, when you were in highschool Liberty would have dominated dayton and as of now? The Liberty players know that dayton is a very good team and they know they couldn't win, but their is no hatred between the too schools like Liberty has with Hardin, the rivalry is over, unless Deel can get things turned around sometime in the future but as of now and probably for awhile their is no rivalry.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder