Any Re-alignment Rumors Out There?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1167798" timestamp="1327867415"]
I still say Yates will end up with 4A numbers. Last realignment they had over 1200 students and cutoff for 3A was at 990. Just don't see them dropping more than 210 students in just 2 years. But, it's possible.
[/quote]
Yeah its possible, but doubtful that it happened like that...Spoke to some folks yesterday in the HISD loop, and they indicated that the community is totally against going to 3A...I think that they were not counting the 200+ kids that are in the School of Communications program at Yates, that do not LIVE in the zone. Thats ONE of the explanations that I got about the numbers...Its SO many ways that schools can fudge those numbers one way or another in order to get the outcome that they desire...HISD athletic dept. is not particularly crazy about it either. I may GO to the re-alignment meeting next week...Its gonna be GOOD! 8)

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1167807" timestamp="1327868470"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=94937.msg1167798#msg1167798 date=1327867415]
I still say Yates will end up with 4A numbers. Last realignment they had over 1200 students and cutoff for 3A was at 990. Just don't see them dropping more than 210 students in just 2 years. But, it's possible.
[/quote]
Yeah its possible, but [b]doubtful that it happened like that[/b]...Spoke to some folks yesterday in the HISD loop, and they indicated that the community is totally against going to 3A...I think that they were not counting the 200+ kids that are in the School of Communications program at Yates, that do not LIVE in the zone. Thats ONE of the explanations that I got about the numbers...Its SO many ways that schools can fudge those numbers one way or another in order to get the outcome that they desire...HISD athletic dept. is not particularly crazy about it either. I may GO to the re-alignment meeting next week...Its gonna be GOOD! 8)
[/quote]

Doubtful that it happened like what? What are you speaking of?

HISD did not check the box to opt up for Yates, so that tells me they are content on having Yates go where their numbers place them.

The snap shot day was back in October, so the numbers have been sent in. Problem is, HISD did not make those numbers public like other districts did on snapshot day.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1167810" timestamp="1327868796"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=94937.msg1167807#msg1167807 date=1327868470]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=94937.msg1167798#msg1167798 date=1327867415]
[/quote]
Yeah its possible, but [b]doubtful that it happened like that[/b]...Spoke to some folks yesterday in the HISD loop, and they indicated that the community is totally against going to 3A...I think that they were not counting the 200+ kids that are in the School of Communications program at Yates, that do not LIVE in the zone. Thats ONE of the explanations that I got about the numbers...Its SO many ways that schools can fudge those numbers one way or another in order to get the outcome that they desire...HISD athletic dept. is not particularly crazy about it either. I may GO to the re-alignment meeting next week...Its gonna be GOOD! 8)
[/quote]

HISD did not check the box to opt up for Yates, so that tells me they are content on having Yates go where their numbers place them.

The snap shot day was back in October, so the numbers have been sent in. Problem is, HISD did not make those numbers public like other districts did on snapshot day.
[/quote]
I was stating that it was doubtful that the numbers just dropped so rapidly in just two years..I was saying that maybe they failed to count those Communcation students who live OUTSIDE the zone..Thats what I was told, anyway...There was a reason HISD kept those numbers private....I guarantee.. ;)...I don't think they really WANT to go down..They may HAVE to, but I don't believe thats the desire though.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1167813" timestamp="1327869090"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=94937.msg1167810#msg1167810 date=1327868796]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=94937.msg1167807#msg1167807 date=1327868470]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I was stating that it was doubtful that the numbers just dropped so rapidly in just two years..I was saying that maybe they failed to count those Communcation students who live OUTSIDE the zone..Thats what I was told, anyway...There was a reason HISD kept those numbers private....I guarantee.. ;)...I don't think they really WANT to go down..They may HAVE to, but I don't believe thats the desire though.
[/quote]

If HISD does not WANT to go down, then why didn't they just check the box to opt up, regardless of the numbers, like they have done the past 3 realignments?

BTW, who do you men by THEY when you state "they failed to count those Communication numbers who live outside the zone"?

The snapshot number is how many students are enrolled in said high school, all campuses. Not how many students live within the school zone.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1167824" timestamp="1327869756"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=94937.msg1167813#msg1167813 date=1327869090]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=94937.msg1167810#msg1167810 date=1327868796]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

If HISD does not WANT to go down, then why didn't they just check the box to opt up, regardless of the numbers, like they have done the past 3 realignments?

BTW, who do you men by THEY when you state "they failed to count those Communication numbers who live outside the zone"?

The snapshot number is how many students are enrolled in said high school, all campuses. Not how many students live within the school zone.
[/quote]
Yeah, but strangely enough, when counting for the snapshot, they are not required to count the students that live outside the zone who are there exclusively for attending the magnet program at Yates...YES, its strange, but oddly enough, apparently it happens..The only schools with ACTUAL 3A numbers in HISD are Wheatley, Furr, Scarborough, Kashmere, and Worthing....And actually not so much Kashmere, because they pull from the Barbara Jordan School of Careers across the street from them that does not have an athletic program...BJ has around 600 students there...The other schools they are trying to pull in so that HISD can have an all 3A district...MOST in HISD do NOT want this...The ones that do, are not truly knowledgeable about the athletic aspect of it, and are looking at saving money by having their own 3A district, so they are trying to make those smaller 4A schools drop with them to 3A..Otherwise they would have to join Stafford and Brookshire Royal in a district, which would be burden travelwise ($$$)

These are the enrollment numbers for the HISD 4A schools in the last realignment (per UIL):

21-4A

Austin          1904
Reagan        1842
Waltrip        1789
Davis          1563
Sharpstown  1239
Yates          1209
Sterling        1103

22-4A

Wheatley          1101
Worthing          1013
Washington        946
Furr                  865
Scarborough      733
Jones                686
Kashmere          596

Washington, Furr, Scarborough, Jones and Kashmere have had 3A numbers for the past several years. Sterling, Wheatley and Worthing would be the next likely schools to drop to 3A.

I think that we are saying the same thing AAW...Jones, Sterling, and Yates have specialized "magnet" programs within the school, NOT traditional magnet programs...Kashmere sends those kids to Barbara Jordan during the day and they are allowed to play sports at Kashmere..I can pretty much tell you that those numbers are WAY off...Particularly at Wheatley....1101? They have not had THAT many kids there in a good while..I can't say for certain, but I will bet the ranch those HISD numbers are inaccurate...They do a lot for re-alignment purposes in HISD..THAT I DO know for certain.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1167840" timestamp="1327871923"]
I think that we are saying the same thing AAW...Jones, Sterling, and Yates have specialized "magnet" programs within the school, NOT traditional magnet programs...Kashmere sends those kids to Barbara Jordan during the day and they are allowed to play sports at Kashmere..I can pretty much tell you that those numbers are WAY off...Particularly at Wheatley....1101? They have not had THAT many kids there in a good while..I can't say for certain, but I will bet the ranch those HISD numbers are inaccurate...They do a lot for re-alignment purposes in HISD..THAT I DO know for certain.
[/quote]

Those numbers came straight from the UIL. They were used to classify those schools in the last realignment. The numbers were sent to UIL by HISD. HISD decided to opt up in the last 2 realignments. I am holding that packet in my hands right now. (have attended the last 2 realignments, broadcast live from Region V, we will be there this year again). You can look on the UIL website to get these same numbers or if you happen to have a Dave Campbell Texas Football mag, those numbers are in there too.

How are those numbers not accurate?

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1167866" timestamp="1327875974"]
Numbers reported versus ACTUAL ATTENDANCE FIGURES....Like I said before, not 100% sure, but I understand how it works over there...and I am PRETTY SURE that Wheatley, for example does NOT have 1101 students by any means...PRETTY SURE...
[/quote]

So you are saying HISD is reporting false numbers to the UIL? They are lying to the UIL? They are cheating?

I thought this kind of stuff didn't happen over there?

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1167871" timestamp="1327877033"]
I am saying from being around it, those numbers may not be accurate...I DOUBT Wheatley has 800 students, let alone 1100...They did not want to drop to 3A in the past, is all I am saying...Not making any accusations...just OBSERVATIONS ;)...
[/quote]

They do not have to drop is the point. They could still opt up like the others have done in the past few realignments. There was no need to fudge any numbers. You always have the option to stay up.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1167872" timestamp="1327877204"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=94937.msg1167871#msg1167871 date=1327877033]
I am saying from being around it, those numbers may not be accurate...I DOUBT Wheatley has 800 students, let alone 1100...They did not want to drop to 3A in the past, is all I am saying...Not making any accusations...just OBSERVATIONS ;)...
[/quote]

They do not have to drop is the point. They could still opt up like the others have done in the past few realignments. There was no need to fudge any numbers. You always have the option to stay up.
[/quote]

That is correct...There are certain brass that would like to see HISD schools compete at the 3A level because they have seen that the success that the Dallas area has had by making this move..there are others, that do not want to be considered a small school in a district as large as HISD...So there are people pulling at this issue from BOTH ends..Once again, this is from people that are inside of the district on the admin side.  Personally, I would like to see them compete wherever the TRUE numbers dictate, and not play "up" for pride or play "down" for perceived dominance.

[quote name="wsprejr" post="1167876" timestamp="1327878790"]
Yates alumni calling for the superintendants head, school has had 3 princpals in 3 yrs

[/quote]
In ALL of HISD there are TWO set of alumni groups that call MAJOR shots within that school district...One is Wheatley, and the other is Yates....They pretty much get their wishes within HISD..Now, as far as calling for the Supts. head, I have no knowledge about that, but they usually get their way in Houston.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    catherine
    Newest Member
    catherine