Brennan Doty leaving Oregon and headed to Lamar

WOSgrad

[quote name="bigred360" post="1162745" timestamp="1326985422"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=94468.msg1162658#msg1162658 date=1326978876]
[quote author=sly0071 link=topic=94468.msg1162564#msg1162564 date=1326942143]
PN-G fans, was he a better QB than Harrison Tatum was?  I think with the addition of the former Rivls 4 star Kentucky QB that Lamar has the position more than covered...........
[/quote]
Not even close!
Ask non-PNG fans, they'll tell you Doty is a legit FCS QB and could play FBS.
The Doty-Long comparisons are valid. Doty has a stronger arm than Long did, but Long was more athletic on the field. Doty was a precision pocket passer, Long could run. Long tore up FCS his only year at SHSU and I believe Doty would as well.

[quote author=geezer link=topic=94468.msg1162481#msg1162481 date=1326931244]
According to the quote from Woodard the new QB from Northwest Mississippi JUCO is the best QB on campus.
[/quote]

Never seen him play and I posted that before the announcement about the JUCO kid, but "Torn Labrum" just doesn't sound good? :-\
[/quote]

I like Doty, I really do and I'm glad he is walking on the basketball team. However, this discussion goes back to last year and I'm not that forgetful yet. Doty had zero FBS, FCS or DII scholarship offers. If he did please name the school. Yes he was offerred a preferred walk-on at Oregon and took a chance there.

However, the talk of comparison's between him and Dustin Long are laugable.

Dustin Long signed with Texas A&M and still owns the record for most TD passes in a single game. He started several games but he had a jack___ as a Head Coach in Franchione who went with Reggie McNeil. Great move on the Head Coach's part and lead to his firing for choosing the wrong QB.

So Long transferred to SHSU for basically a semester and played for them leading the team to the FCS semifinals his only season in Huntsville. He transferred back to Texas A&M and graduated.

Now as for as Ryan Mossakowski here is an article about torn labrum in his right shoulder and his reasons to transfer from Kentucky.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/114969129.html
[/quote]Good info. Waiting for responses to this one.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1162792" timestamp="1326988822"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=94468.msg1162745#msg1162745 date=1326985422]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=94468.msg1162658#msg1162658 date=1326978876]
[quote author=sly0071 link=topic=94468.msg1162564#msg1162564 date=1326942143]
PN-G fans, was he a better QB than Harrison Tatum was?  I think with the addition of the former Rivls 4 star Kentucky QB that Lamar has the position more than covered...........
[/quote]
Not even close!
Ask non-PNG fans, they'll tell you Doty is a legit FCS QB and could play FBS.
The Doty-Long comparisons are valid. Doty has a stronger arm than Long did, but Long was more athletic on the field. Doty was a precision pocket passer, Long could run. Long tore up FCS his only year at SHSU and I believe Doty would as well.

[quote author=geezer link=topic=94468.msg1162481#msg1162481 date=1326931244]
According to the quote from Woodard the new QB from Northwest Mississippi JUCO is the best QB on campus.
[/quote]

Never seen him play and I posted that before the announcement about the JUCO kid, but "Torn Labrum" just doesn't sound good? :-\
[/quote]

I like Doty, I really do and I'm glad he is walking on the basketball team. However, this discussion goes back to last year and I'm not that forgetful yet. Doty had zero FBS, FCS or DII scholarship offers. If he did please name the school. Yes he was offerred a preferred walk-on at Oregon and took a chance there.

However, the talk of comparison's between him and Dustin Long are laugable.

Dustin Long signed with Texas A&M and still owns the record for most TD passes in a single game. He started several games but he had a jack___ as a Head Coach in Franchione who went with Reggie McNeil. Great move on the Head Coach's part and lead to his firing for choosing the wrong QB.

So Long transferred to SHSU for basically a semester and played for them leading the team to the FCS semifinals his only season in Huntsville. He transferred back to Texas A&M and graduated.

Now as for as Ryan Mossakowski here is an article about torn labrum in his right shoulder and his reasons to transfer from Kentucky.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/114969129.html
[/quote]Good info. Waiting for responses to this one.
[/quote]
FYI, It wasn't Franchionne that replaced Long with McNeal! It was RC Slocum that made that call in the OU game Dustin's Sophomore year / McNeal's true fresh year. That was just a few games after Long threw for 6 TDs against TT. Franchionne talked Long into staying his Junior season and decided to go with McNeal from day one of the season. McNeal was not Frans prized recruit he was Slocums!

As far as who offered who? Nobody local (Texas) offered Drew Brees outta HS either does that mean he was crap? Walter Payton only got one offer outta HS and Jerry Rice went to a little ole school in Mississippi, they must have been crap. I could go on and on with this and you know it. And as far as that matters Long didn't have any big offers his senior season either up until that Semi-Final Game in front of the A&M coaches at Kyle Field.

These two young QB's were both outstanding and brought different things to the table. They both had stellar HS careers and will forever be linked as two of the best to ever sling it from PNG.

"Franchionne talked Long into staying his Junior season and decided to go with McNeal from day one of the season. McNeal was not Frans prized recruit he was Slocums!"

I'm confused here as you even admit Fran decided to go with McNeal Long's junior season from day one of the season. Isn't that basically what I stated?

I watched Long several times and you are wrong he was being recuited by schools his whole senior season. I remember PNG had a couple of twin brothers that were his main target's for the Indians.

Then please tell me you aren't comparing Brennan Doty to Jerry Rice, Drew Brees and Walter Payton!

These are HOF NFL players and Brees will be there one day and Doty never took a snap in college football. Geez! LOL

BTW, since you brought him up Drew Brees had the same injury as the QB Lamar just signed a torn labrum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Brees

Mcneal started the week after the OU game and Long never saw the field again. That was Slocums call. End of discussion!

And the twin brothers (Colburn twins) were not there Longs senior season. They graduated the year before. Longs targets that senior year were Baxter, Norton, Price (a Jr) and Lumley. Point being he had a few offers, but no D1 until the SF game.

I think everyone that reads this board new the message I was conveying when I pointed out the lack of recruiting for two HOFers and a future HOFer. Lots of excellent talent is under recruited each year, just as lots of talent is over recruited each year (see G. Gilbert)! So yes in that regards (being under recruited) I was comparing Brennan Doty to those HOFers. LOL at that.  ;D

[quote name="badndn" post="1163015" timestamp="1327014462"]
Mcneal started the week after the OU game and Long never saw the field again. That was Slocums call. End of discussion!

And the twin brothers (Colburn twins) were not there Longs senior season. They graduated the year before. Longs targets that senior year were Baxter, Norton, Price (a Jr) and Lumley. Point being he had a few offers, but no D1 until the SF game.

I think everyone that reads this board new the message I was conveying when I pointed out the lack of recruiting for two HOFers and a future HOFer. Lots of excellent talent is under recruited each year, just as lots of talent is over recruited each year (see G. Gilbert)! So yes in that regards (being under recruited) I was comparing Brennan Doty to those HOFers. LOL at that.  ;D
[/quote]

I like Doty.  Thought he looked very good in high school.  Don't think he was as good as Long.  All that said, if he is as good as Long why isn't he playing football somewhere?  If he is really that good, shouldn't he be getting a scholarship somewhere?  Honestly, from what I saw in high school, I thought he was definitely good enough for FCS and possibly FBS but I was wrong once before (a long, long, time ago).  Maybe he doesn't have the arm strength or accuracy.  Or maybe he just doesn't have the desire to play??

[quote name="PNGFan" post="1162860" timestamp="1326993679"]
If you had a choice to play for Woodard or Knight, I'd choose Knight any day over Woodard. Woodard is just a sorry coach.
[/quote]

Hold on there skippy.  This is PAT Knight, not Bobby Knight.  I think you are a bit too early on both fronts with your coaching assessment.  From a personality standpoint, I like Knight better.  And so far it does appear that Knight is going to be more successful than Woodard, I will definitely give you that.  But let's see how this all plays out.  I like Woodard ok but I have been disappointed in the team's performance.  But, it is a new program and we only have 2 years under our belt.  Let's see how we do next year...and if we have a decent product we should give him one more year after that.  4 years should give us a really good idea of how he's doing.

[quote name="badndn" post="1163015" timestamp="1327014462"]

[/quote]

Dang, I didn't think I saw him play as a junior (Long) but obviously I did and he was great that year. I wish I cared enough to win this debate and look it up. I might give Bob West a call. He probably can get those stat's and maybe give me his opinion on the better QB at PNG.

Sorry, don't agree with the end of discussion. There was a coaching change. Slocum was reassigned to assist the President of the University and they hired Fran from Alabama.

BTW, he had 7 TD passes against Texas Tech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dustin_Long_(American_football)

He talked Long into staying and probably told him the QB position was open for competition. Isn't that a form of recruiting? So you are saying since Slocum benched Long he should stay the back-up under a different Head Coach? Are you serious? There are changes all over the field after a coaching change and a lot of times that includes the QB.

Obviously, McNeal wasn't great at ATM and IMHO Long would have won more games.

There is one thing still missing in you arguement. The players you mentioned may have been under recruited in college but they all had at least one school offerring a scholarship. Doty had zero! Now, if we keep this up it's going to sound like I didn't think Brennan was a good HS QB. I thought he was very good. Just not as good as Dustin Long.

Aren't you the guy that kept arguing that PNG in 1988 was 1-9 in 4A and you kept saying that was their last year in 5A? LOL at that  ;)

You keep implying that Doty didn't have any offers...Do you know this for sure?
He had one offer I know of for sure.

And 1-9 is 1-9 don't matter if its 1A or 5A, it sucks!!!

Not sure exactly what the debate is. If it is that Doty is better than Long or vise versa the answer is moot. Long led his team to a Title game, but I will say that Long had a couple of advantages over Doty. He was sleeping under the same roof as the OC  ;D and he had very good defenses. As far as arm strength which is what I believe I said to begin with, I still say Doty had more zip on the ball and was just as accurate, but that's just one mans oppinion.

Knight didn't go out and recruit Doty. Doty approached him. The difference in Bray etc. is that he is currently on a roster and can't be brought in until next season. Doty will practice ASAP and could actually play now if he is needed.

As Knight said, no harm no foul if the young man can play and help the team, if not then so be it. It didn't cost you anything to find out!

My assesment from the little I saw Doty play BBall is that he can shoot, handles the ball well (not flashy) and is a good defender. Makes good decisions as well. He may or may not play much for LU, but it is worth a shot.

Guest sly0071
One interesting tidbit is I heard that Oregons QB is declaring for the draft.  I guess for some reason Doty still didn't think he had any future playing time there. 

[quote name="sly0071" post="1163344" timestamp="1327089354"]
One interesting tidbit is I heard that Oregons QB is declaring for the draft.  I guess for some reason Doty still didn't think he had any future playing time there.
[/quote]
The other Freshman QB this year was a top recruit out of Hawaii (he redshirted with Doty). And Bennet played well as a RS-Freshman this year when Thomas was hurt. Oregon probably was just to expensive to gamble on PT down the road. Also I understand that his GF was going to school up there and was ready to come home as well.  Oregon is a long way from SETX both geographically and socially. Weird place!

[quote name="bigred360" post="1163042" timestamp="1327018116"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=94468.msg1163015#msg1163015 date=1327014462]

[/quote]

Dang, I didn't think I saw him play as a junior (Long) but obviously I did and he was great that year. I wish I cared enough to win this debate and look it up. I might give Bob West a call. He probably can get those stat's and maybe give me his opinion on the better QB at PNG.

Sorry, don't agree with the end of discussion. There was a coaching change. Slocum was reassigned to assist the President of the University and they hired Fran from Alabama.

BTW, he had 7 TD passes against Texas Tech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dustin_Long_(American_football)

He talked Long into staying and probably told him the QB position was open for competition. Isn't that a form of recruiting? So you are saying since Slocum benched Long he should stay the back-up under a different Head Coach? Are you serious? There are changes all over the field after a coaching change and a lot of times that includes the QB.

Obviously, McNeal wasn't great at ATM and IMHO Long would have won more games.

There is one thing still missing in you arguement. The players you mentioned may have been under recruited in college but they all had at least one school offerring a scholarship. Doty had zero! Now, if we keep this up it's going to sound like I didn't think Brennan was a good HS QB. I thought he was very good. Just not as good as Dustin Long.

Aren't you the guy that kept arguing that PNG in 1988 was 1-9 in 4A and you kept saying that was their last year in 5A? LOL at that  ;)
[/quote]

And there's a lot more to the story from when Slocum was coaching Dustin (pressure from administration), to the Fran situation (a call from RC to Dustin in the offseason that helped make his choice to leave) etc. Dustin and I played baseball together and still remain friends.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder