Nederland vs. Beaumont Ozen Game Thread/Ozen wins 84-18!

WOSgrad

[quote name="vcbasketball15" post="1162026" timestamp="1326859487"]
they were probably throwing up 3's the whole 4th quarter as well
[/quote]

3's dont bother me so much...pressing late does.  Then its just stat padding and humilation.  If they didnt press in second half then I'm happy they showed some sportsmanship.

they were probably throwing up 3's the whole 4th quarter as well
[/quote]

3's dont bother me so much...pressing late does.  Then its just stat padding and humilation.  If they didnt press in second half then I'm happy they showed some sportsmanship.
[/quote]

I agree HillGuy. I watched them press us in the 4th quarter last year being up by 30 with 2 minutes left in the game.  :( I didnt see the whole game this year but they did pull back in the 3rd  :) We play them Friday. Lets see what happens.

If that is their game what is wrong with that? 

In the long run, it would help the other team learn how to break a press

By not doing it, do you think it would hurt Ozen down the road when they have to play full court for all 4 quarters from a conditioning standpoint?

[quote name="hjhawks" post="1162174" timestamp="1326900972"]
If that is their game what is wrong with that? 

In the long run, it would help the other team learn how to break a press

By not doing it, do you think it would hurt Ozen down the road when they have to play full court for all 4 quarters from a conditioning standpoint?
[/quote]

Come on...seriously?  I think pressing 3 quarters gives you plenty of practice (for both teams)...doing it the fourth when up by 30 plus is just disrespectful IMO.  Now, if you dont care what folks think about your program, then by all means do it.  As for conditioning, yeah it might help some but most conditioning is done in practice. 

There was no press in the 4th quarter...Ozen plays a half court zone defense...and they trap in the corners. That's it....several teams are getting blown out by teams every night but when Ozen does it...it's a problem... If they don't beat a team by enough, they got "exploited", or "they underestimate the team", or someone says" closer then I thought"...If they happen to score 40 or 50 on a team, its because they press to much, or they shoot 3s late in the 4th quarter.....lol...maybe she should send the girls out in a straight jacket and blind folded next game. ;D...I'm sure someone will say they were peeping and the jackets were not tight enough ;D ;D ;D ;D...Im sure y'all are waiting for Ozen to lose one so that you can talk about karma, and being overrated...But that's ok..haters come with being #1 ;)....Nederland y'all played tough...keep working hard...

Just a few more scores  over the past few weeks....

Dayton-69 Baytown lee-20
Barber hills 79 CE king 24
HJ 70 Silsbee 20
Big Sandy 92 Hull Daisetta 28

Dayton 72 Crosby 18.....this one had an interesting comment"Dayton is playing like they have something to prove"....wow.....good job Dayton! Good thing your colors are not blue and gold....or that comment would have been a little different. ;D

[quote name="dimlaws" post="1162579" timestamp="1326943178"]
By the way, BH beat Galena Park 72-20 last week, nothing was said...does it really matter how the points were scored?...are you serious ? ...you still ran up the score....at the end of the day, a blow out is a blow out....except when your Ozen.... :P
[/quote]

Oh, Dim...I was waiting for that!  BH never presses at all, ever.  They BREAK press  ;D 
Its one thing to steal the ball over and over and score against a weaker team by pressing, its a whole nother thing to make a team, especially a running team, play a set offense.  I hope we get to see that in the region final  ;)  Very hard to argue that BH runs up the score without pressing and a setup offense, but take your best shot  ;D

Hmmmm...and since you seem to be quoting me from some posts, maybe you should have included - "Nice job, Ozen!"  "Way to go O!"  "Ozen is the team to beat in R3" "Good job Ozen, that is a great win" (over Clear Springs).... among other postive comments.  Its not about the players at all btw...Booker, Jones and company are an amazing bunch.

This whole thread may have gotten off track by talking about any team that presses late in a blowout...if Ozen didnt do that, then it doesnt apply.

[quote name="dimlaws" post="1162622" timestamp="1326949095"]
Y'all saw it last year twice, and you saw in fall ball about 3 times. Nothing  has  changed, same result... :)
[/quote]

Well, first of all...we want to see it again LOL

Second...come on man...FALL ball???? you kiddin me?  yall had full boat of players (apparently no volleyballers)...we were playing with 3 or 4 varsity players and some very eager freshman, ha.

There is a lot of ball to be played before that next matchup happens...lets just hope both teams stay healthy and make it there!

Lol...Hill guy your the king of excuses man ;)......but we had several in volleyball also...our Sophomores looked pretty good didn't they?.....and your right y'all need to get pass Dayton before you start thinkin about Ozen....Good luck, and stay healthy :D :D

[quote name="dimlaws" post="1162579" timestamp="1326943178"]
By the way, BH beat Galena Park 72-20 last week, nothing was said...does it really matter how the points were scored?...are you serious ? ...you still ran up the score....at the end of the day, a blow out is a blow out....except when your Ozen.... :P
[/quote]
Not true. When Yates scored 140 points a couple of years ago and their opponent scored 32, the score gained NATIONAL headlines. Point spread means NOTHING in HS basketball. Ask any coach that has class, and they will tell u the same.
If they pressed in the 4th with the 1st team, with a 40-50 point lead, shame on them. If their reserves were in the game, then I have no problem with them improving their game. Nederland girls need to improve, no doubt, but at some point the opposing coach needs to realize the morale of the girls. Who knows, in a few years, Nederland girls might be beating the Ozen girls just like what has happened on the boys side. Maybe getting beat so badly will motivate some girls and parents to make girls basketball in Nederland back to a more competitive level.

I will say again.... the bench played most of the 4th quarter and they played a half court zone defense....Now, they do presssure the ball handler and trap in the corners once they cross mid court. To me thats just tough defense. I dont think they should make excuses for for being athletic and building a program based on defense. I think people need to stop making excuses, and start getting better....Im Done... ;D

[quote name="dimlaws" post="1162629" timestamp="1326951492"]
Lol...Hill guy your the king of excuses man ;)......but we had several in volleyball also...our Sophomores looked pretty good didn't they?.....and your right y'all need to get pass Dayton before you start thinkin about Ozen....Good luck, and stay healthy :D :D
[/quote]

Fall ball huh? ok  Oh and check the brackets...if we DONT get past Dayton, we will be seeing you a lot sooner  ;)

Look, we like to pick at and talk smack a bit on here (wish there was MORE GBB talk).  I really do appreciate you coming in and representing O...We got the undefeated #1 team in the state right here and its mainly only you that keeps us updated on them and comes to their defense when the smack flies...  +1 for ya!  ...don't make me have to say Ozen played a creampuff schedule to get you to post  ;D ;D ;D

Finally a little chat on the girls side. Good job guys for sprucing things up some. ;D I agree if a team is up by a bunch then don't press in fourth. On the flip side of that you cannot tell a kid who does not play as much not to play hard. Nederland needs to get better plain and simple. Not Ozens fault. Now as everyone knows talent comes in cycles for most. That being said the coach from WOS (past) used to press the whole fourth even when up by 30+ and now the roles are reversed. WOS is struggling and being beat without pressing by those same scores. Karma is a beast sometimes. ;D ;D Not being disrepectful to the WOS program. Just making a point on something that actually happened.

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1162653" timestamp="1326978117"]
[quote author=dimlaws link=topic=94420.msg1162579#msg1162579 date=1326943178]
[/quote]
Not true. When Yates scored 140 points a couple of years ago and their opponent scored 32, the score gained NATIONAL headlines. Point spread means NOTHING in HS basketball. Ask any coach that has class, and they will tell u the same.
If they pressed in the 4th with the 1st team, with a 40-50 point lead, shame on them. If their reserves were in the game, then I have no problem with them improving their game. Nederland girls need to improve, no doubt, but at some point the opposing coach needs to realize the morale of the girls. Who knows, in a few years, Nederland girls might be beating the Ozen girls just like what has happened on the boys side. [glow=red,2,300]Maybe getting beat so badly will motivate some girls and parents to make girls basketball in Nederland back to a more competitive level.[/glow]
[/quote]  I agree that motivation should start with the girls, but how can you be motivated when you know your coach doesn't even want to be there? In the end it's up to the coach to make the program better.  Speaking from experience.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder