Lamar men's basketball gets two more commitments

I'm not sure I can identify among our returning underclassmen and new recruiting class who will replace Charlie Harper at the 4-spot...also not sure why we need three point guard recruits in addition to Tre Lynch...seems like we would have focused on at least one 6-6ish power type forward that can shoot...as in a Charlie Harper style player...one thing for sure, we lose all our scorers after this year, so like Mike Deane in his first year with Grey Giovanine's seniors, hopefully, Pat Knight will make the most with Roc's seniors...would be fun to be back in the NCAA again for sure...this year may be our best chance for awhile......

This is a post from a friend of Coach Clif Carroll. Coach Carroll and Pat were both at the Collin game on Wednesday. They were there to see Amos Wilson and Hondo Webb. Amos is Collins leading scorer and rebounder and is about 6-6. [b]He would play the same position as Harper. Amos in my opinion is a better player than Harper.[/b] Hondo is a 6-3 guard that can play the point or wing. He looks like a football player. He can guard anybody on the floor. He would have 3 years to play and is an outstanding student. I have friends whose kids went to high school with Hondo. They said he is a special kid and they would become instant Lamar fans if he were to come here.

Matt Hancock plays on a professional team but doesn't get paid so he call play college ball.

Rhon Mitchell out of California is red-shirting this year and he is 6'5 and very muscular.

Here is a highlight video of Jason Smith who signed in the early signing period. BTW, the article is wrong Jason Smith is a wing not a PG. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E8vMhlxdv0

[quote name="bigred360" post="1159132" timestamp="1326472670"]
This is a post from a friend of Coach Clif Carroll. Coach Carroll and Pat were both at the Collin game on Wednesday. They were there to see Amos Wilson and Hondo Webb. Amos is Collins leading scorer and rebounder and is about 6-6. [b]He would play the same position as Harper. Amos in my opinion is a better player than Harper.[/b] Hondo is a 6-3 guard that can play the point or wing. He looks like a football player. He can guard anybody on the floor. He would have 3 years to play and is an outstanding student. I have friends whose kids went to high school with Hondo. They said he is a special kid and they would become instant Lamar fans if he were to come here.

Matt Hancock plays on a professional team but doesn't get paid so he call play college ball.

Rhon Mitchell out of California is red-shirting this year and he is 6'5 and very muscular.

Here is a highlight video of Jason Smith who signed in the early signing period. BTW, the article is wrong Jason Smith is a wing not a PG. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E8vMhlxdv0
[/quote]

Well, I was wondering the same thing about so many point guards.  Good to hear this kid is a wing.  Don't like all the tatt's on him.  Looks like he's got good hops, and a very nice jumper.  Can't really tell for sure about ball handling and quickness...both look a little questionable on this video.  But, if he shoots the rock like that all the time, I could care less if he can dribble.

Jason Smith looks good...I had posted that link on this site back when they signed him. I don't care for his tats either, but then again my daughter got one and that bothers me more. So how big is Hancock?...I've seen conflicting reports...I confess that I forgot about Mitchell...I thought he was gone for academic reasons. Amos Wilson has those issues as well, right. That said "AggiesWeAreNot"...good post...I feel better now.

Found this about Hondo Webb:

The Melissa Cardinals impending trip to the boys state basketball tournament is big news in this Collin County community.

It is the school’s first final four foray.

“Wherever you go, you can’t walk six feet without running into someone excited about this,’’ Melissa coach Clint Sadler said. “The great thing is neither the fans or our players are satisfied just to be going. The attitude is we still have games to play.’’

The Cardinals (36-1) face Tatum (31-7) in a Class 2A state semifinal at 10 a.m. Friday at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin. A victory would put Melissa in the state title game at 2 p.m. Saturday.

Idalou (31-1) and Hallettsville (33-4) meet in the other semifinal.

Lacking height -- there's no starter taller than 6-2 -- Sadler’s focus this season has been on defense and rebounding.

“We’ve heard that we don’t have the size to win state, but our guys have done a great job and we’re not going to change anything now,’’ Sadler said. “Our motto is to be the best we can be at everything we do. We break every huddle with it.’’

Hondo Webb, a 6-foot-2, 215-pound senior, is the unquestioned leader. Born in Africa and the son of missionary parents, Webb is the team’s point guard, yet he often defends the opponents’ tallest player.

Webb leads the team in rebounds (10.3), assists (7.1), steals and blocked shots. He’s second in scoring (14.1). Three of his six career triple-doubles have come this season.

[quote name="LamarTech" post="1159418" timestamp="1326503103"]
Jason Smith looks good...I had posted that link on this site back when they signed him. I don't care for his tats either, but then again my daughter got one and that bothers me more. So how big is Hancock?...I've seen conflicting reports...I confess that I forgot about Mitchell...I thought he was gone for academic reasons. Amos Wilson has those issues as well, right. That said "AggiesWeAreNot"...good post...I feel better now.
[/quote]

Matt Hancock is a 6'4 SG/SF and his father is about 6'7-6'8 as he was on his unofficial visit with Matt when he committed to Lamar. So, Matt could grow a little more. He is a hard worker as he told me he works out 6 days a week a 5:00AM. Then like I stated he plays on a professional team but also on a couple others.

He visted Lamar the week of the Charlotte game.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="1158301" timestamp="1326323168"]
I think that is why he didn't do great at Tech. This would have been his first quality recruiting class. I too can't wait to see how successful he is with out Miles, James, Lamb, Davis, Harper and company starting next year. We have to find scoring.
[/quote]

We desperately need someone that can score in the post.  Do they even make those type of players anymore?

What we need is the 6'4" to 6'6" kid that can score from anywhere on the court. We haven't had that since Daniels left. Those guys are go to guys that can get a shot off in crunch time. See Patrick Richard and Lamarcus Reed! We obviously don't have anyone to matchup with those types of players and we don't have a go to. Davis is a spot up shooter and thats it. Harper and Nelson have no outside game.

[quote name="badndn" post="1162870" timestamp="1326995291"]
What we need is the 6'4" to 6'6" kid that can score from anywhere on the court. We haven't had that since Daniels left. Those guys are go to guys that can get a shot off in crunch time. See Patrick Richard and Lamarcus Reed! We obviously don't have anyone to matchup with those types of players and we don't have a go to. Davis is a spot up shooter and thats it. Harper and Nelson have no outside game.
[/quote]
I agree.  I think that's why Pat Knight has signed kids like Mitchell, Wilson and Smith.  They are all in the size range and can shoot the ball.  We'll find out next year if any of them can step up and be that type of player at the D1 level.

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="1162776" timestamp="1326987746"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=93978.msg1158301#msg1158301 date=1326323168]
I think that is why he didn't do great at Tech. This would have been his first quality recruiting class. I too can't wait to see how successful he is with out Miles, James, Lamb, Davis, Harper and company starting next year. We have to find scoring.
[/quote]

We desperately need someone that can score in the post.  Do they even make those type of players anymore?
[/quote]Yes! You need to watch K-State, Kentucky, etc.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="1162822" timestamp="1326991160"]
See Kentucky, Ohio State, Baylor, Kansas, North Carolina, and Indiana as all teams that have a talented post who can score. Also the Mosely (sp) from Northwestern St. Is pretty good from what I remember but scoring post are few and far between.
[/quote]Exactly! And the young posts coming up are maturing later in age. Most of the young post I see don't jump for a rebound :(

Exactly the problem. The few big men with real game are not going to LU!!! If you are going to win in the SLC you need good gaurd play! And if you are going to upset someone in the tourney you are going to do that out on the perimiter. A dominant Big in the SLC will get shutdown by the bigs playing for 1, 2 and 3 seeds, but you can get creative with a 6'5" scoring threat from anywhere on the court and beat a 1, 2, or 3 seed.

George Mason went to the Big Show just a couple of years ago with their biggest player at 6-6...but their guards were disciplined and could could score from the perimeter when open
and they hardly EVER turned the ball over...a senior laden team under great coaching...I'm thinkin' that is where Pat Knight is taking us.......

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1162882" timestamp="1326996680"]
[quote author=AggiesWeAreNot link=topic=93978.msg1162776#msg1162776 date=1326987746]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=93978.msg1158301#msg1158301 date=1326323168]
[/quote]

[/quote]Yes! You need to watch K-State, Kentucky, etc.
[/quote]

I've watched Kentucky, and North Carolina, and Kansas.  They are all basically run and gun schools that get their points off of turnovers, transition, 3 pointers and follow up shots.  Very rarely do you see a big that actually has offensive moves/skills in the post like an Olajuwon or ever a Ewing.  Guys that can it a turnaround jumper like B.B. Davis and James Gulley.  Or have up and under moves.  Most of the bigs now just run and dunk.  Not that I don't want one of those too. But I know that we are a bit limited on who we will actually sign.  There are smaller 'bigs' that can score in the post.

[quote name="badndn" post="1162870" timestamp="1326995291"]
[/quote]

Umm...James isn't that tall but he is definitely our go to.  He can pretty much get off a decent shot any time he wants to.

[quote name="LamarTech" post="1163057" timestamp="1327022547"]
George Mason went to the Big Show just a couple of years ago with their biggest player at 6-6...but their guards were disciplined and could could score from the perimeter when open
and they hardly EVER turned the ball over...a senior laden team under great coaching...I'm thinkin' that is where Pat Knight is taking us.......
[/quote]

Their 6'6" guys were very good in the post as well.  At least one of them was.

[quote name="badndn" post="1162887" timestamp="1326997154"]
Exactly the problem. The few big men with real game are not going to LU!!! If you are going to win in the SLC you need good gaurd play! And if you are going to upset someone in the tourney you are going to do that out on the perimiter. A dominant Big in the SLC will get shutdown by the bigs playing for 1, 2 and 3 seeds, but you can get creative with a 6'5" scoring threat from anywhere on the court and beat a 1, 2, or 3 seed.
[/quote]

Well that may be true but, if you haven't noticed, we are having trouble scoring.  Throw it in to big Gulley, bump you with his big butt to clear a little space, turn around "jumper" from about 6' -10' = automatic 2.  Then people have to double him, kick it out for an open 3.  Pretty simple.  We have one of the worst shooting percentages in the country.  And some of that would have to do with the fact that we don't have anyone that can score in the post.  I wish we could put Brown's offensive skills in Usa's (Osa?) body...we'd have a freakin all american. I really like Usa/Osa...if he could develop some offensive skill he would be fantastic.

Again thats the problem...Combine Brown with Osa in Osa's body and he wouldn't be playing at Lamar.

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="1163326" timestamp="1327087690"]Umm...James isn't that tall but he is definitely our go to.  He can pretty much get off a decent shot any time he wants to.
[/quote]
And hows that working out for us? How did James shoot the last two games against Reed and Richard? Not well.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder