Area Recruiting by Lamar

mypooh

I just had a questions that I know someone here can help me with. I have seen lots of football this past year. With that being said can some tell me if Lamar is recruiting any kids from the area like Nederland Corbin Carr #99 ? I watched a few Bulldogs games and a few Lamar games too.  Lamar Defense to say the least needs players and dude can flat out ball. If not I wonder what there wait is ?

[quote name="mypooh" post="1146443" timestamp="1323910721"]
I just had a questions that I know someone here can help me with. I have seen lots of football this past year. With that being said can some tell me if Lamar is recruiting any kids from the area like Nederland Corbin Carr #99 ? I watched a few Bulldogs games and a few Lamar games too.  Lamar Defense to say the least needs players and dude can flat out ball. If not I wonder what there wait is ?
[/quote]
from what i understand they have been

[quote name="Titletown2" post="1147181" timestamp="1324053374"]
Just what Lamar needs; another 230 lb. DE. Can Lamar please recruit farther noth than Silsbee. Lamar shouldn't even look at a DL under 270. That's what they need, actual D1 sized linemen!
[/quote]

If you looked at D1 defensive ends, I'd be shocked if 35% of them weighed more than 270 pounds. You need SPEED off the edge, AKA 270 isn't all that quick. You need 245-250 from your DE spots.

Lamar has still got a long way to go.  Recruiting locally is smart and it is undoubtedly the best place to look IMHO!  RW is not going to win the FCS for Beaumont anytime soon. Neither is any other coach that may be hired or fired.  Are we that impatient?  Go Cards!

[quote name="Titletown2" post="1147181" timestamp="1324053374"]
Just what Lamar needs; another 230 lb. DE. Can Lamar please recruit farther noth than Silsbee. Lamar shouldn't even look at a DL under 270. That's what they need, actual D1 sized linemen!
[/quote]
::)
Very few college DE came out of HS over 240. Most that did end up moving inside at 270+. The majority of HS DE, even the top end ones that go to Major D1's are 210 to 240 coming in. They get a on training programs and add 20+ pounds of muscle. The very few that come in at 6'3"+ and 250+ are not going FCS!

Also watching all the State Title games, I have yet to see a WR better than J. Nelson. I have seen some good ones, but none that made me think Nelson couldn't play at the FBS level. Randy Rogers had his top 10 Sr. WR list and I have seen most of those guys, had Rogers actually seen Nelson, he would have been in there between 5-10 somewhere.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1147706" timestamp="1324099047"]
Don't think Lamar can compete yet locally with recruitung with all the BiG 12 schools or Sam Houstons. I think what would help Lamar would be some coach changes.
[/quote]
Coaching changes? What is wrong with their coaches? I don't know ANY of them, but this program has not existed for the past 20+ years! They need more than 2 seasons to build a program from scratch! Come on Badsanta, go back to the basketball board where [s]u know a little bit[/s]...well, u don't know much on that board either!

You get what you pay for I wonder what Woodard pay is on the scale of other Southland coaches. I'm sure it is at the bottom. It's not like the guy was winning at Navarro JC. Willie Fritz the coach at Sam Houston was whipping him in the JUCO ranks so are we really surprise. The next coach should be from the area and bulid a fence around this area. There is no way that kids from this area should have offers from SFA NW St. or Sam Houston and not Lamar then when we play them we getting stomped. Really !!! All these teams have SE Texas kids on there rosters. The MLB / QB from Vidor should already have a offer and it should be from Lamar. The guy my not have the measureables but he can for surely play MLB. With some weight training he can at least stop them from giving up huge YPC in rushing game. Not saying that the guy will end up at LU but what ar they waiting on. J. Nelson should of been offered after his Jr. season. Did the coaches not see the numbers and look at the tape and think slot WR ? In the line of Wes Welker. The kids just has the skill set to get open. 

[quote name="mypooh" post="1148890" timestamp="1324384250"]
You get what you pay for I wonder what Woodard pay is on the scale of other Southland coaches. I'm sure it is at the bottom. It's not like the guy was winning at Navarro JC. Willie Fritz the coach at Sam Houston was whipping him in the JUCO ranks so are we really surprise. The next coach should be from the area and bulid a fence around this area. There is no way that kids from this area should have offers from SFA NW St. or Sam Houston and not Lamar then when we play them we getting stomped. Really !!! All these teams have SE Texas kids on there rosters. The MLB / QB from Vidor should already have a offer and it should be from Lamar. The guy my not have the measureables but he can for surely play MLB. With some weight training he can at least stop them from giving up huge YPC in rushing game. Not saying that the guy will end up at LU but what ar they waiting on. J. Nelson should of been offered after his Jr. season. Did the coaches not see the numbers and look at the tape and think slot WR ? In the line of Wes Welker. The kids just has the skill set to get open.
[/quote]

Man, where are you getting your information? Coach Woodard makes $150,000 plus incentives. Fritz doesn't make close to that at SHSU. Then he was whipping Woodard at the juco level? Fritz was the Head Coach at Blinn when Woodard was the DC at Kilgore. Then they offerred J. Nelson a long time ago. Maybe not after his junior year but early in his senior season. There is no Coach going to get all the talent in SE Texas. That is dreaming as some kids want to go off to college.

Believe me I have had questions about the coaching staff but obviously you are not in the know at Lamar.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/New-Lamar-coaching-contracts-include-incentives-2335308.php

[quote name="bigred360" post="1149136" timestamp="1324409790"]
[quote author=mypooh link=topic=93093.msg1148890#msg1148890 date=1324384250]
[/quote]

Man, where are you getting your information? Coach Woodard makes $150,000 plus incentives. Fritz doesn't make close to that at SHSU. Then he was whipping Woodard at the juco level? Fritz was the Head Coach at Blinn when Woodard was the DC at Kilgore. Then they offerred J. Nelson a long time ago. Maybe not after his junior year but early in his senior season. There is no Coach going to get all the talent in SE Texas. That is dreaming as some kids want to go off to college.

Believe me I have had questions about the coaching staff but obviously you are not in the know at Lamar.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/New-Lamar-coaching-contracts-include-incentives-2335308.php
[/quote]

I hear what you saying but when I say beating him I was comparing the Blinn offense to the Kilgore defense which Woodard was running at the time. When I say offer a kid I meant early. I know that Lamar will never get all the athletes but I'm sure if you follow Lamar recruiting you will have questions too. Not here to put the program down I just want to see the Redbirds suceed. I'm not that old but kids seem to value the first school that spots there talent. Being the first school to offer a kid a scholarship can pay off real big in the end.

[quote name="mypooh" post="1149442" timestamp="1324474722"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=93093.msg1149136#msg1149136 date=1324409790]
[quote author=mypooh link=topic=93093.msg1148890#msg1148890 date=1324384250]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I hear what you saying but when I say beating him I was comparing the Blinn offense to the Kilgore defense which Woodard was running at the time. When I say offer a kid I meant early. I know that Lamar will never get all the athletes but I'm sure if you follow Lamar recruiting you will have questions too. Not here to put the program down I just want to see the Redbirds suceed. I'm not that old but kids seem to value the first school that spots there talent. Being the first school to offer a kid a scholarship can pay off real big in the end.
[/quote]

Last spring Lamar had all of 10 scholarships available and they offerred Fred Ford early. I have followed Lamar recuiting very closely. What player or players did Lamar not offer that you think we should have signed? I know we were the first to offer J. Nelson this year. Now, there are a couple others recuiting him as well. After the pass spring semester we offerred the WR/QB/DB from Kirbyville but he took the walk-on offer from SFA. We told him once a scholarship came open it was his. What else is the coaching staff suppost to do with a limited number of scholarships?

Right now we have 22 scholarships available and I know of 4 local kids who have already committed to Lamar. I totally agree that we should recruit SE Texas heavily but every year there is going to be someone who Lamar doesn't offer that is going to make some fan's unhappy.

Again, we can't sign everyone and I hope you don't think there are 22 SE Texas senior's who are good enough for the FCS level.

As for as Woodard being the DC at Kilgore, Blinn didn't just beat them as they won the NJCAA National Championship with Willie Fritz.

In the end, I think all Lamar alumni/students/supporter's/fan's want to see the program succeed. We just don't all agree on the way to get there!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317