Aledo vs Manvel predictions

wbfan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BP, you are right our D had a very poor showing against Birdville. It was a cold rainy night and we just didn't tackle well. 37 missed to be exact. I think we have grown up alot since then. Last week we played a very good RB with over 3000 yards rushing with a huge O-Line and held him to 91 yards. The D has gotten much better. The boys have also been overheard saying they wished LT was D2 so we could play them again. Weather or not we could beat LT is not the point, the fact the boys want another shot tells you where they are confidence wise.

[quote name="Atownbcat" post="1144640" timestamp="1323659334"]
VP 32,
We have only been 4A for 10 years.(honestly I don't know what our first year in 4A was) 01-02 maybe. So let's hear your top 10 for the last 10 years. Can't wait to see how you keep aledo out of your list.
[/quote]
Did i say anything about the past 10 years? Yes you have had some good success in the years you have been in 4A but take away Gray and three of those years including this one is taken away. You can't deny that without JG you wouldn't have gotten this far. You'd be lucky to make it past the 3rd round. Yes you have a good program but not in the top 10. I'm also taking in winning tradition in 4A into consideration. Now if yall keeping going 3 rounds deep into the playoffs in about 10 to 15 years then yes yall will make my list in the top 10 but right now yall haven't. But this is just my opinion.

I sure would like to see Manvel win it but every possession the Mav's need to get some points on the board.Mav's can't give Aledo a short field to work with.Good luck Manvel I'll be pullin for an upset if you can sustain long time consuming drives for points and keep Aledo off balance on defense while keeping them on the field by using a hurry up offense and keeping JG & co.on the sidelines.Hokahey 8)

JGray could very well be a once in a lifetime player for any program.  He is simply that good.  However, the Aledo football program has been successful without him.  He was bothered by injuries last year and was not really even close to 100% until the state championship game, yet we were able to get there.

Over the past 16 years, Aledo has a record of 187-37 (winning percentage of 84%).  Here is a breakdown of the seasons and how far they went through the playoffs.

1996 - 4 rounds - 11-2
1997 - 5 rounds - 14-1
1998 - State Champs 3A-D1 - 13-1
1999 - 3 rounds - 10-3
2000 - 2 rounds - 11-1
2001 - 2 rounds - 8-4
2002 - 4 rounds - 12-2
2003 - 4 rounds - 10-4
2004 - 5 rounds - 12-4
2005 - 4 rounds - 8-6
2006 - 4 rounds - 12-2
2007 - 4 rounds - 11-3
2008 - 2 rounds - 11-1
2009 - State Champs 4A-D2 - 15-1
2010 - State Champs 4A-D2 - 16-0
2011 - Playing in State Championship game - 13-2

That is only 3 times in 16 years that they have not made it past the 2nd round.

Thats 4 State Champion games (with 4 wins after Saturday)  ;)
4 Semi-Final finishes.  So half of the past 16 years, Aledo has made it to at least the State Semi-Finals or Championship game.  Also, note they are undefeated in State Championship games the past 16 years.

Now all that being said, I do expect a great game Saturday.  Nobody gets this far without having an excellent team.  I do think Aledo will win because of our offense and the fact that the defense has improved through the course of this season more than any other defense we have ever had.

Safe travels to all who are coming up to Arlington this weekend.  It will be a great time!

[quote name="vp32" post="1144793" timestamp="1323669988"]
[quote author=Atownbcat link=topic=92941.msg1144640#msg1144640 date=1323659334]
VP 32,
We have only been 4A for 10 years.(honestly I don't know what our first year in 4A was) 01-02 maybe. So let's hear your top 10 for the last 10 years. Can't wait to see how you keep aledo out of your list.
[/quote]
Did i say anything about the past 10 years? Yes you have had some good success in the years you have been in 4A but [b]take away Gray and three of those years including this one is taken away. You can't deny that without JG you wouldn't have gotten this far. You'd be lucky to make it past the 3rd round.[/b] Yes you have a good program but not in the top 10. I'm also taking in winning tradition in 4A into consideration. Now if yall keeping going 3 rounds deep into the playoffs in about 10 to 15 years then yes yall will make my list in the top 10 but right now yall haven't. But this is just my opinion.
[/quote]
Sorry but that is kind of ridiculous to even say. Fact of the matter is HE DOES play on that team. I am pretty sure you look at a lot of teams, take away their star player and they don't win the same amount of games or make it quite as far in the playoffs. Don't hate on someone else because of the atheletes they have. If I misunderstood your meaning, then my apologies. But that player is part of the team. A lot like Midland Lee with Cedric Benson, which you can say take him away and they wouldn't have won 3. But there were 10 other players on Offense which helped him be successful

Nobody is hating. Its just s fact aledo has the best rb in the country and I would have loved to have him at dayton the last 4 years because then we would be working on our third ring. Also there is a big difference between winning playoff games and winning rings. Aledo will be a good team when jg leaves im sure but most likely not a championship team.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1145011" timestamp="1323713707"]
[quote author=olc71749 link=topic=92941.msg1145009#msg1145009 date=1323713656]
does anyone know if this game will be televised?
[/quote]

Yes, all of the championship games will be televised on Fox Sports Southwest
[/quote]Thanks bud

[quote name="GGilbert 7 2010" post="1145084" timestamp="1323719901"]
[quote author=vp32 link=topic=92941.msg1144378#msg1144378 date=1323638928]
I think Manvel is gonna win this. Offense wins games but defense wins championships and Manvel's defense will find a way to stop Aledo.
[/quote] they don't have to stop aledo just stop j. Gray
[/quote]I don't think we can stop him, but we need to keep him under control!  LT did an excellent job on him and will have to simulate that performance.

[quote name="songone" post="1145105" timestamp="1323721970"]
[quote author=GGilbert 7 2010 link=topic=92941.msg1145084#msg1145084 date=1323719901]
[quote author=vp32 link=topic=92941.msg1144378#msg1144378 date=1323638928]
I think Manvel is gonna win this. Offense wins games but defense wins championships and Manvel's defense will find a way to stop Aledo.
[/quote] they don't have to stop aledo just stop j. Gray
[/quote]I don't think we can stop him, but we need to keep him under control!  LT did an excellent job on him and will have to simulate that performance.
[/quote] not real sure how yalls can score but I doubt that yall can score like lt but the aledo defence is there weak link they have given up some points but they are still a very solid team good luck to yall

Well let's just say for a minute that the Manvel D is as good as lake Travis. We still scored 35. J Gray had  257 and 4 touchdowns. We scored 14 points more than any LT opponent. So if your D is just as good as LT you will have to score more than 35. Our D just held a 3200 yard rusher to 91, they have made much improvement since week 3. If you stop J Gray you will be the first. Matt B is also no slouch at QB, with 2500 yards and only like 5 pics.

[quote name="Atownbcat" post="1145121" timestamp="1323724072"]
Well let's just say for a minute that the Manvel D is as good as lake Travis. We still scored 35. J Gray had  257 and 4 touchdowns. We scored 14 points more than any LT opponent. So if your D is just as good as LT you will have to score more than 35. Our D just held a 3200 yard rusher to 91, they have made much improvement since week 3. If you stop J Gray you will be the first. Matt B is also no slouch at QB, with 2500 yards and only like 5 pics.
[/quote] you from lake Travis I got family on the team we are going to the first game Friday so we can get good seats

This is a tough one to call...2 weeks ago I'd have said Manvel in a landslide but they've had some mediocre performances the last two weeks.  Manvel, Katy, and Brenham were the best defenses I saw this year.  Aledo has the best offense and the best player, but Manvel is not behind by much offensively.  Manvel CANNOT make the mistakes they've made thus far in the playoffs and win this game.  Gonna be a great one to watch on tv....would be nice to go back to some neutral sites so us Southern Texas folks can actually attend a state game once in awhile.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jameshardy123
    Newest Member
    jameshardy123