J. Gray Ejected

If you can't beat the kid on the field, beat him with the flags.  That referee needs to get his quals pulled.  It looked like the zebras were looking for reasons to penalize this kid.  If he had turned around and taunted the guys he outran, I could see the penalty, but to highstep?  Not saying it is for sure, but is there any reason to beleive the referee that threw the flag may have some issues with race?

It was a very emotional game.  Earlier in the week there was a lot of "calling out" of the Aledo Team for having no heart since they lost the only two games they were behind in this year (Stephenville in week 0 and Lake Travis in week 2).  Aledo and Stephenville are bitter rivals and when the local blogger on a DFW board took the time to write some pretty pointed criticisms of the Aledo team and its lack of leaders, lets just say the boys were very motivated.  Since beating Aledo in the first game of the seaon, all Aledo has heard is how they have no D and Stephenville was going to knock them out of the playoffs.  Each week, someone was saying they were going to lose but Aledo has just kept getting better and the D has really been coming together.

Game day comes and the stadium is overflowing.  The weather is bad but the crowd and the teams are into it!  On the 2nd play of the game, JGray makes Stephenville look silly and runs it into the end zone.  This is where Johnathan makes his mistake.  He did do the "cut throat" motion as he reached the Aledo sideline towards the Aledo fans.....not toward any one Stephenville player or fan.  However, he should not have done that and it is going to get called.  He then proceeded to endure the wrath of Coach Buc in front of all of the Aledo fans and nobody questioned it.  Where it got interesting is in the 3rd when he received his second penalty for "changing his style of run".  The call was bogus but Aledo still proceeded to keep the Jackets off the board with a 33-0 shutout.

Unfortunately, a lot of false information was being spread around DFW regarding JGray's actions at halftime and after the game with the other players from Stephenville.  The record has been set straight and other than the penalties, which he paid dearly for, he did nothing wrong.

Looking forward to this Friday's game with Corsicana!

[quote name="elhector1" post="1140265" timestamp="1323115133"]
If you can't beat the kid on the field, beat him with the flags.  That referee needs to get his quals pulled.  It looked like the zebras were looking for reasons to penalize this kid.  If he had turned around and taunted the guys he outran, I could see the penalty, but to highstep?  Not saying it is for sure, but is there any reason to beleive the referee that threw the flag may have some issues with race?
[/quote]Pretty weak shouldnt have happened, as for race related that also is pretty weak.

Wow, unbelievable...That has to be one of the worst calls I've ever seen....That wasn't anything to get ejected over...The official who made that call should have to turn in his uni, whistle, and flag immediately....

Also why in the heck didn't the officials get together discuss it and pick up the flag?

Interesting comparison -- Gray gets ejected for high-stepping (well, officially he gets ejected for that being his second similar penalty), yet LM and Ozen only have one player ejected for two bench-clearling brawls.

Guess it's OK to fight, as long as you don't high-step while doing it.

[quote name="77" post="1140280" timestamp="1323116702"]
[quote author=elhector1 link=topic=92685.msg1140265#msg1140265 date=1323115133]
[/quote]Pretty weak shouldnt have happened, as for race related that also is pretty weak.
[/quote]

True...what has kind of bugged me is that on the Yahoo board where this is posted, Gray is being made out to be heading toward being a criminal because he is an "unrepentant rule breaker".  The kid has done some really great things off the field, one of which was posted here not that long ago.  Yet now, he's is engaging in gateway behavior that leads to law breaking?  Come on.  Maybe not the ref, but some folks out there get their prejudice engine revved up over the littlest things. 

Read the following directly from the NCAA Rule Book, TX HS use these rules.  If you are the official and by your interpertation of the rule you judge this to be a foul, then it's an automatic ejection, remember it is his second of the game.  The rules state that it is an automatic ejection from the  game for a second USL.

Unsportsmanlike Acts
ARTICLE 1. There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct or any act that
interferes with orderly game administration on the part of players, substitutes, coaches, authorized attendants or any other persons subject to the rules, before the game, during the game or between periods. Infractions for these acts by players are administered as either live-ball or dead-ball fouls depending on when they occur......

a. Specifically prohibited acts and conduct include:
(e) An unopposed ball carrier obviously altering stride as he approaches the opponent’s goal line or diving into the end zone.

The UIL cracked down on the celebrations a long time ago.  So, if the rules say two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties mean an ejection, it is fair.  He broke the rules and he took the consequences.  Doesn't mean he is a bad kid or is headed for a life of crime, but rules are rules.

so, a defensive player that jumps up and interrupts the flow of the game by flashing his muscles and celebrating a sack okay, but a player high stepping into the end zone is not.  Got it.  Both are violations of the rules according to the above, yet I have seen no flags for this.  Let's just admit that this official was a poster boy for the definition of "ticky tack".

I don't necessarily like the ejection
but If he got called for it once already why would he even think about running like that a second time. Is it that hard to run like a normal human being?
He tried to push the refs and see what he could get away with....gotta face the consequences.

Just because he's on track to break records doesn't clear him of not following the rules and consequences.

Thats whats wrong with society, people who think it should be ok to break laws and rules that govern us, just because a record may get broken, or because of status, or etc.  take your emotion out of it.

[quote name="5gallonbucket" post="1140358" timestamp="1323123680"]
but If he got called for it once already why would he even think about running like that a second time. Is it that hard to run like a normal human being?
He tried to push the refs and see what he could get away with....gotta face the consequences.

Just because he's on track to break records doesn't clear him of not following the rules and consequences.

Thats whats wrong with society, people who think it should be ok to break laws and rules that govern us, just because a record may get broken, or because of status, or etc.  take your emotion out of it.
[/quote]
How about you take your emotions out of it. I actually watched the entire game after i found out about this and seen SEVERAL players that did there little celebrations after they got a sack or a tackle or something else and was not given the second look by the ref but when the leading rusher of the game does a penalty as stupid as high stepping, he gets the flag and the ejection. It is plainly obvious that the ref had something against him.

[quote name="5gallonbucket" post="1140358" timestamp="1323123680"]

[/quote]

First one was a "cut throat" sign to some of the fans.  THAT call I agree with.  Stuff like that, yeah I understand.  If he had done that again, then yes, the ejection is warranted.  The high stepping?  No.

Now, apparently, according to one Aledo fan that posted, Aledo and Stephenville have some history, because Stephenville beat Aledo at the start of the season.  Here is a question...with some acting all self righteous about things, should fans also have a standard of conduct, with regard to harrassing players from the other team?  I mean, so many people are "holier than thou" with respect to a kid that high stepped...should foul mouth fans be ejected?  What's the threshold?  One warning?  Two? Depnding on whether the cop at the game is kin, or a friend?  The problem is, the call on that is like the call on the field...subjective.  I've seen venues that call for SERIOUS crowd control, yet it doesn't happen.  Ozen, La Marque...classic example.  The problem with the 2nd call was it's inconsistency.  The rule, yes, but if you are going to enforce it, be consistent.

[quote name="vp32" post="1140373" timestamp="1323125241"]
[quote author=5gallonbucket link=topic=92685.msg1140358#msg1140358 date=1323123680]

[/quote]
How about you take your emotions out of it. I actually watched the entire game after i found out about this and seen SEVERAL players that did there little celebrations after they got a sack or a tackle or something else and was not given the second look by the ref but when the leading rusher of the game does a penalty as stupid as high stepping, he gets the flag and the ejection. It is plainly obvious that the ref had something against him.
[/quote]
i have no emotions about it....i could care less either way..... in general I just don't get why players have to selfishly celebrate and bring attention to themselves....if your gonna celebrate...celebrate as a team

[quote name="5gallonbucket" post="1140483" timestamp="1323140504"]
[quote author=vp32 link=topic=92685.msg1140373#msg1140373 date=1323125241]
[quote author=5gallonbucket link=topic=92685.msg1140358#msg1140358 date=1323123680]

[/quote]
[/quote]
i have no emotions about it....i could care less either way..... in general I just don't get why players have to selfishly celebrate and bring attention to themselves....if your gonna celebrate...celebrate as a team
[/quote]

So the first penalty was the "cut throat" jesture that was done towards his teammates.....does that count as celebrating with your team.  I don't think so.

The high step run was a violation of the rule.  I have not problem with it being called but just like the earlier poster said, it needs to be consistent.  There was an instance when one player from the other team celebrated like he had won the superbowl when he made a goal line tackle.  However, the person he tackled did not have the ball and Aledo scored on the play and they were not behind by 21 points.  His display was twice as over the top as to compared to anything that JGray did, but the flags stayed in the pocket.  Just did not seem to be enforced the same on both sides.

Like I said, with all the talk that had taken place the week before in the area, both teams were very keyed up.  I am not excusing his actions and it is very out of character for him to do something like that.  I was more disappointed that it was not being called the same both ways.

[quote name="5gallonbucket" post="1140484" timestamp="1323141045"]
we need more role models like jerry rice and larry bird....and not ocho(benchwarmer)cinco and terrel(no job)owens
[/quote]

Uhh.... Larry Bird was the biggest trash talker in the NBA & got into his share of altercations during his HOF career.

[quote name="aledofan" post="1140508" timestamp="1323144710"]
[quote author=5gallonbucket link=topic=92685.msg1140483#msg1140483 date=1323140504]
[quote author=vp32 link=topic=92685.msg1140373#msg1140373 date=1323125241]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

So the first penalty was the "cut throat" jesture that was done towards his teammates.....does that count as celebrating with your team.  I don't think so.

The high step run was a violation of the rule.  I have not problem with it being called but just like the earlier poster said, it needs to be consistent.  There was an instance when one player from the other team celebrated like he had won the superbowl when he made a goal line tackle.  However, the person he tackled did not have the ball and Aledo scored on the play and they were not behind by 21 points.  His display was twice as over the top as to compared to anything that JGray did, but the flags stayed in the pocket.  Just did not seem to be enforced the same on both sides.

Like I said, with all the talk that had taken place the week before in the area, both teams were very keyed up.  I am not excusing his actions and it is very out of character for him to do something like that.  I was more disappointed that it was not being called the same both ways.
[/quote]

I watched J.Gray score 8td's on my LM team in the 4A title game last year, and I don't have one ill word to say about the kid. He carries himself well and is one helluva running back. But when you're on top anything you do is going to be scrutinized and yes some people will overreact to the simplest things, like high stepping after earning your TD. Football is emotional & expecting this kids to behave like robots is silly. Especially when his actions didn't directly involve embarrassing the other squad. DUMB CALL!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder