Nederland Tournament

Guest CTH13

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1139432" timestamp="1323017529"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=92621.msg1139424#msg date=1323016932]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=92621.msg1139413#msg date=1323015973]
Dove-Didn't NS win this tourney last year? So one COULD conclude that Nederland beat the #1 seed to make it to the finals. Memorial was also in our bracket, but LCM sent them to the Loser's bracket. When the people made this schedule, they did not know PAM would be struggling this early on. And in case you didn't see the game (which i know you didn't), in the 3rd place game, Lufkin lead Kimball the entire game until the end of the 4th Q! So Lufkin, also a 5A team, may be better than you think. But then again, it doesn't help to speak logic to someone who is not logical!
Good luck to your [s]Horns[/s], Panthers, or whoever the next team you choose to support. I've supported the [b]Nederland Bulldogs[/b] for all 44 years of my life!
[/quote]

I will say this about the Dallas Kimball/Lufkin game. That was not the Dalllas Kimball team that played the first two games of the tourney. They were just going through the motions against Lufkin for the first 3 quarters, never pressing one second of the game until the middle of the 4th. I believe it was because Royce Johnson, coach of Kimball, was still pissed about losing to North Shore. He never got off the bench during the game up until the 4th and they rotated
players in and out much differently than in the previous two games. It was obvious they really didn't care about the game. What most folks don't know, Coach Johnson was threatening to quit the tourney (not play in 3rd place game) and never return to this tournament because he felt the officials (both on and off the court) were against his team. (I heard this first hand as I was back near the hospitality room where this conversation was taking place) Coach Johnson thought the foul calls were too one-sided and he questioned the bracket lay out.

Needless to say, we probably won't see Dallas Kimball back at the YMBL.

I think Ned's path to the finals became easier when both Central, PAM and Ozen lost in the first
round. But, they took care of business and they did beat Hightower who had just come off beating down Central. ;)
[/quote]
I did notice they weren't pressing. I thought they were just mad they lost. Didn't kmow the coach was upset over the officials. Goes to tell u there is always another side to the story. According to the score, it sounded like Hightower handled Central fairly easily. Was Central ever in the game? In the preseason poll, i picked Central as being one of the top 2 schools in 20-4A, and i still believe they will finish 1st or 2nd. But Nederland played a great game and beat that same HT team. To discount their victory over HT would be ignorant IMO!  ;)
[/quote]We were in the game.  We were actually up at the end of the first period.  We allpwed # 23 to get going by not holding him tigt after hit crossed halfcourt.  We'd guard him only when he was close to the three point line when obviously, this kid have range when he was hitting shots well past the NBA range.    After that, he was heated up and begin to take our players on one on one in the 4th... We NEVER brought a double team to take the ball out his hands or anything. Also, on offense, we never ran any plays to get K.Smith opened.  Everything he got, he had to earn it. Obviously, they know which player to watch.  We'll be fine, though.  I still think we'll have a good showing at the Nederland Tourney, though.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1139502" timestamp="1323026490"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=92621.msg1139432#msg date=1323017529]
Dove-Didn't NS win this tourney last year? So one COULD conclude that Nederland beat the #1 seed to make it to the finals. Memorial was also in our bracket, but LCM sent them to the Loser's bracket. When the people made this schedule, they did not know PAM would be struggling this early on. And in case you didn't see the game (which i know you didn't), in the 3rd place game, Lufkin lead Kimball the entire game until the end of the 4th Q! So Lufkin, also a 5A team, may be better than you think. But then again, it doesn't help to speak logic to someone who is not logical!
Good luck to your [s]Horns[/s], Panthers, or whoever the next team you choose to support. I've supported the [b]Nederland Bulldogs[/b] for all 44 years of my life!
[/quote]

I will say this about the Dallas Kimball/Lufkin game. That was not the Dalllas Kimball team that played the first two games of the tourney. They were just going through the motions against Lufkin for the first 3 quarters, never pressing one second of the game until the middle of the 4th. I believe it was because Royce Johnson, coach of Kimball, was still pissed about losing to North Shore. He never got off the bench during the game up until the 4th and they rotated
players in and out much differently than in the previous two games. It was obvious they really didn't care about the game. What most folks don't know, Coach Johnson was threatening to quit the tourney (not play in 3rd place game) and never return to this tournament because he felt the officials (both on and off the court) were against his team. (I heard this first hand as I was back near the hospitality room where this conversation was taking place) Coach Johnson thought the foul calls were too one-sided and he questioned the bracket lay out.

I think Ned's path to the finals became easier when both Central, PAM and Ozen lost in the first
round. But, they took care of business and they did beat Hightower who had just come off beating down Central. ;)
[/quote]
I did notice they weren't pressing. I thought they were just mad they lost. Didn't kmow the
coach was upset over the officials. Goes to tell u there is always another side to the story. According to the score, it sounded like Hightower handled Central fairly easily. Was Central ever in the game? In the preseason poll, i picked Central as being one of the top 2 schools in 20-4A, and i still believe they will finish 1st or 2nd. But Nederland played a great game and beat that same HT team. To discount their victory over HT would be ignorant IMO!  ;)
[/quote]We were in the game.  We were actually up at the end of the first period.  We allpwed # 23 to get going by not holding him tigt after hit crossed halfcourt.  We'd guard him only when he was close to the three point line when obviously, this kid have range when he was hitting shots well past the NBA range.    After that, he was heated up and begin to take our players on one on one in the 4th... We NEVER brought a double team to take the ball out his hands or
anything. Also, on offense, we never ran any plays to get K.Smith opened.  Everything he got, he had to earn it. Obviously, they know which player to watch.  We'll be fine, though.  I still think we'll have a good showing at the Nederland Tourney, though.
[/quote]
Not a lot U can do when they have that kind of range. HIghtower did the same against Ned and took English out of the game by having their tall, long kid cover English. What they didn't plan on was Lubera getting hot from 3 Land and scoring 18.
Ur Jags have a solid team, for sure. I hear that The Village is pretty talented too, and that's who Central will face in the 2nd round. Look forward to watching that game and the Ned/Silsbee matchup (they both have to reach the semis for that to happen).

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1139523" timestamp="1323028620"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=92621.msg1139502#msg1139502 date=1323026490]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I did notice they weren't pressing. I thought they were just mad they lost. Didn't kmow the
coach was upset over the officials. Goes to tell u there is always another side to the story. According to the score, it sounded like Hightower handled Central fairly easily. Was Central ever in the game? In the preseason poll, i picked Central as being one of the top 2 schools in 20-4A, and i still believe they will finish 1st or 2nd. But Nederland played a great game and beat that same HT team. To discount their victory over HT would be ignorant IMO!  ;)
[/quote]We were in the game.  We were actually up at the end of the first period.  We allpwed # 23 to get going by not holding him tigt after hit crossed halfcourt.  We'd guard him only when he was close to the three point line when obviously, this kid have range when he was hitting shots well past the NBA range.    After that, he was heated up and begin to take our players on one on one in the 4th... We NEVER brought a double team to take the ball out his hands or
anything. Also, on offense, we never ran any plays to get K.Smith opened.  Everything he got, he had to earn it. Obviously, they know which player to watch.  We'll be fine, though.  I still think we'll have a good showing at the Nederland Tourney, though.
[/quote]
Not a lot U can do when they have that kind of range. HIghtower did the same against Ned and took English out of the game by having their tall, long kid cover English. What they didn't plan on was Lubera getting hot from 3 Land and scoring 18.
Ur Jags have a solid team, for sure. I hear that The Village is pretty talented too, and that's who Central will face in the 2nd round. Look forward to watching that game and the Ned/Silsbee matchup (they both have to reach the semis for that to happen).
[/quote]We still have to beat Memorial, though.  This Village team...  What type of team are they?  Tall and lanky, Much size, or a quick guard type team?

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1139538" timestamp="1323029723"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=92621.msg1139523#msg1139523 date=1323028620]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=92621.msg1139502#msg1139502 date=1323026490]
[/quote]

I will say this about the Dallas Kimball/Lufkin game. That was not the Dalllas Kimball team that played the first two games of the tourney. They were just going through the motions against Lufkin for the first 3 quarters, never pressing one second of the game until the middle of the
4th. I believe it was because Royce Johnson, coach of Kimball, was still pissed about losing to North Shore. He never got off the bench during the game up until the 4th and they rotated

[/quote]
coach was upset over the officials. Goes to tell u there is always another side to the story. According to the score, it sounded like Hightower handled Central fairly easily. Was Central ever in the game? In the preseason poll, i picked Central as being one of the top 2 schools in 20-4A, and i still believe they will finish 1st or 2nd. But Nederland played a great game and beat that
same HT team. To discount their victory over HT would be ignorant IMO!  ;)
[/quote]
Not a lot U can do when they have that kind of range. HIghtower did the same against Ned and
took English out of the game by having their tall, long kid cover English. What they didn't plan on was Lubera getting hot from 3 Land and scoring 18.
[/quote]We still have to beat Memorial, though.  This Village team...  What type of team are they?  Tall and lanky, Much size, or a quick guard type team?
[/quote]
They have a huge 'kid'/man who is 6'9" and is ranked as the 13th best Center in the country. He has verbally committed to Maryland! They beat HCYA by 28 and Lamar Consolidated by 12. His name just happens to be Shaquille! Not sure what else they have, but Dogs1218 or BlueDove may know other kids they have on their team who they watched play this past summer.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1139551" timestamp="1323030498"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=92621.msg1139538#msg1139538 date=1323029723]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=92621.msg1139523#msg1139523 date=1323028620]
[/quote]

I will say this about the Dallas Kimball/Lufkin game. That was not the Dalllas Kimball team that played the first two games of the tourney. They were just going through the motions against Lufkin for the first 3 quarters, never pressing one second of the game until the middle of the
4th. I believe it was because Royce Johnson, coach of Kimball, was still pissed about losing to North Shore. He never got off the bench during the game up until the 4th and they rotated

[/quote]
coach was upset over the officials. Goes to tell u there is always another side to the story. According to the score, it sounded like Hightower handled Central fairly easily. Was Central ever in the game? In the preseason poll, i picked Central as being one of the top 2 schools in 20-4A, and i still believe they will finish 1st or 2nd. But Nederland played a great game and beat that
same HT team. To discount their victory over HT would be ignorant IMO!  ;)
[/quote]
Not a lot U can do when they have that kind of range. HIghtower did the same against Ned and
took English out of the game by having their tall, long kid cover English. What they didn't plan on was Lubera getting hot from 3 Land and scoring 18.
[/quote]
They have a huge 'kid'/man who is 6'9" and is ranked as the 13th best Center in the country. He has verbally committed to Maryland! They beat HCYA by 28 and Lamar Consolidated by 12. His name just happens to be Shaquille! Not sure what else they have, but Dogs1218 or BlueDove may know other kids they have on their team who they watched play this past summer.
[/quote]Ok, I see.  A big kid.  This may be similar to the team Aldine had a few years ago where they had one kid (i believe his last name was Gary' played for them.  He was a 6'9" shot blocker.  I believe that Aldine team participated on one of the local tourneys... I believe it was either the YMBL or the Gamble Tourney.  Either way it goes, I hope we're ready.

Blue Dove:
I'm sure your kids are great players.  That seems to be the consensus of everyone that has seen them play.  What I can't understand is your incessant downplaying of Nederland's basketball program. 

I know you think that any program not built by AAU types and "free agents" doesn't deserve any credit, but Coach English has built a strong program from scratch without blue chip talent.  This is not a flash in the pan anymore.  This program is going on 4 strong years now and it's coming from the grass roots.  No one puts them in the class of historically strong programs like Ozen, Central, HJ, Silsbee (or Hamshire Fannett) yet, but they are clearly emerging.  I can't help but wonder what is really behind your seeming hatred for Nederland basketball?   

[quote name="dogs1218" post="1139457" timestamp="1323021372"]
The Bulldog Classic should be be a good one! Hope Nederland continues to play well and makes another good showing!

As far as BlueDove, Yall cant be hating on the DaDove!! ;D He is only saying stuff to stir the pot and get Nederland fans all in a frenzy!
[/quote] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D LMAO!!!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1139588" timestamp="1323034205"]
Soulja, that Aldine team you are speaking of was Aldine High and the player was Gary who went on to play for Texas.

Aldine didn't play in a local tourney but played little ole 3A Silsbee in a playoff preview a few years ago. 3A Silsbee beat Aldine that night. ;)
[/quote]Ok...  That's the team...  I believe Central played them..  I remember because he is the only one on that team that we had no answer for...  I'm sure it was a local tourney.. It may have been our own tourney, the James White tourney...

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1139561" timestamp="1323031373"]
Hey Soulja-Check out this short clip about him. Not sure who they are playing, but i don't think it matters. This kid/man will be a tough matchup for any team!

http://houstonbasketball.blogspot.com/2011/11/shaquille-cleare-and-village-vikings.html
[/quote]
That is a biggg man.  I have been trying to find some info on HCYA.  Does anyone have any?

[quote name="ST413" post="1139995" timestamp="1323065559"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=92621.msg1139561#msg1139561 date=1323031373]
Hey Soulja-Check out this short clip about him. Not sure who they are playing, but i don't think it matters. This kid/man will be a tough matchup for any team!

http://houstonbasketball.blogspot.com/2011/11/shaquille-cleare-and-village-vikings.html
[/quote]
That is a biggg man.  I have been trying to find some info on HCYA.  Does anyone have any?
[/quote]

HCYA = Donrad "Chicken" Knowles, University of Houston commit. '6"9 post. They also have a guard that's pretty good.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1139286" timestamp="1322975472"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=92621.msg1139282#msg1139282 date=1322975045]
HCYA could make a statement.
[/quote]

Silsbee with another tough draw.

Played 5A West Brook, 4A #2 Dallas Kimball and 4A #3 Dallas SOC in YMBL and now to start the Nederland tourney they get HCYA.

Some tough going for the Tigers.
[/quote] This Is Exactly What They Need To Get Better For District And
To Make A Deep Playoff Run!!! They Will Have Some Tough Competition Also In The American Bank Invitational In Sherman Texas During Christmas Break! I Like Coach Sigler's Toughness And Confidence That He Has In His Team To Compete!!!!.

[quote name="ispeakjive" post="1139597" timestamp="1323035063"]
Blue Dove:
I'm sure your kids are great players.  That seems to be the consensus of everyone that has seen them play.  What I can't understand is your incessant downplaying of Nederland's basketball program. 

I know you think that any program not built by AAU types and "free agents" doesn't deserve any credit, but Coach English has built a strong program from scratch without blue chip talent.  This is not a flash in the pan anymore.  This program is going on 4 strong years now and it's coming from the grass roots.  No one puts them in the class of historically strong programs like Ozen, Central, HJ, Silsbee (or Hamshire Fannett) yet, but they are clearly emerging.  I can't help but wonder what is really behind your seeming hatred for Nederland basketball? 
[/quote] I've been saying for a couple of years now that Coach English has his program moving in right direction. I use to see him in Houston getting his kids ready. Playing against different teams and players so his kids would be familiar and learn new things. Now you see the growth.

[quote name="5gallonbucket" post="1140235" timestamp="1323112251"]
Yeah very bad.  English had them competitive with OZEN and Central i [u]THINK[/u] they had some years there were they beat those two teams one out of 2 times.  [b]Even with Kendrick Perkins on the Ozen team....[/b][/quote]Ok, now you're going overboard now.  Those Kendrick Perkins teams were not to be beaten by anyone around in the golden triangle.  Ozen may have lost to other good teams in bit time tournaments or maybe the State Title game. 

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1140261" timestamp="1323114652"]
[quote author=5gallonbucket link=topic=92621.msg1140235#msg1140235 date=1323112251]
Yeah very bad.  English had them competitive with OZEN and Central i [u]THINK[/u] they had some years there were they beat those two teams one out of 2 times.  [b]Even with Kendrick Perkins on the Ozen team....[/b][/quote]Ok, now you're going overboard now.  Those Kendrick Perkins teams were not to be beaten by anyone around in the golden triangle.  Ozen may have lost to other good teams in bit time tournaments or maybe the State Title game.
[/quote] LOL! Let 5gallonbucket dream

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder