Your schools Best Teams that Underachieved

D3zii

[quote name="GoDogs27" post="1132894" timestamp="1322419375"]
2000 Nederland Bulldogs - i believe this was our best chance for a state title in a long time. Lost to Bay City 7-0 in the Astrodome in the state quarterfinals after getting stuffed at the one yard line as time expired. I still believe our receiver got the Td on the play before but we will never know. The sad part is that we dominated that game stat wise. We were on there side of the field a ton and couldnt come away with points. Bay City went on to blow out the remaining two teams to win the state title if i remember correctly.
[/quote]Bay City had about 107 total yards.....They went on to win the State Championship, this is one that slipped through our fingers.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1131238" timestamp="1322338545"]
[quote author=D3zii link=topic=92236.msg1130767#msg date=1322284812]
Who was your best Team that you feel underachieved??

For me it would have to be the 2009 Central Team that only went three rounds and end up getting blown out by Friendswood..I feel we should have did better mainly On Defense..Also our Offense really didnt show as much as they should..

Also our 2003 team who had the game won against Bay City in the 3rd round but let it slip through our hands..That team had arguably the best Defense to come through SETX lead by LB David Dixion and Anthony Collins

Honarable Mention
2010 team, that lost to Humble, that team had alot of Hype but only manage to go 2rounds
[/quote]David Dixon graduated in 2003.  He didn't play on the 2003 football team...  That team featured Jordy Matherson, Mike Feacher, the RB, Ivory 'Chopper' Williams and Anthony Collins. 

I'd have to give an Over achiever and under achiever.  Over have to go to the 2008 team.  Under is probably the 2007 team that missed the playoffs.  We were loaded and had 2 blue chippers that were Brothers (Derrick Hall (Navorro and Tulsa) and Charlie Thomas (Texas A&M).
[/quote]The most underachieved team had to have been the Jags very first team. The first year of existence. They were loaded with players from the French state team and BCP playoff team the year before. Went down to WB. Was knocked out of the playoffs.
Was ranked #1 in the state at the beginning of the season and rightfully so. They were loaded with division 1 talent.

[quote name="outanup" post="1132900" timestamp="1322420422"]
[quote author=GoDogs27 link=topic=92236.msg1132894#msg1132894 date=1322419375]
2000 Nederland Bulldogs - i believe this was our best chance for a state title in a long time. Lost to Bay City 7-0 in the Astrodome in the state quarterfinals after getting stuffed at the one yard line as time expired. I still believe our receiver got the Td on the play before but we will never know. The sad part is that we dominated that game stat wise. We were on there side of the field a ton and couldnt come away with points. Bay City went on to blow out the remaining two teams to win the state title if i remember correctly.
[/quote]Bay City had about 107 total yards.....They went on to win the State Championship, this is one that slipped through our fingers.
[/quote]
      If I remember correctly Bay City ran 4 plays on our side of the field the entire game , they just happened to get a TD on a bootleg pass and we spent all night on their end of the field only to come up short, they also had a hell of a defense, but I agree that was our best chance for a state championship.

[quote name="football04" post="1133000" timestamp="1322428460"]
[quote author=outanup link=topic=92236.msg1132900#msg1132900 date=1322420422]
[/quote]
      If I remember correctly Bay City ran 4 plays on our side of the field the entire game , they just happened to get a TD on a bootleg pass and we spent all night on their end of the field only to come up short, they also had a heck of a defense, but I agree that was our best chance for a state championship.
[/quote]Bay City capitalized on a turnover on or about our 20yd line.....This loss broke my heart.

[quote name="outanup" post="1133134" timestamp="1322437932"]
[quote author=football04 link=topic=92236.msg1133000#msg1133000 date=1322428460]
[quote author=outanup link=topic=92236.msg1132900#msg1132900 date=1322420422]
[/quote]
      If I remember correctly Bay City ran 4 plays on our side of the field the entire game , they just happened to get a TD on a bootleg pass and we spent all night on their end of the field only to come up short, they also had a heck of a defense, but I agree that was our best chance for a state championship.
[/quote]Bay City capitalized on a turnover on or about our 20yd line.....This loss broke my heart.
[/quote]This without a doubt was our best chance at a state title. Joe Ramoin was the running back and caught a swing pass out of the backfield. As he turned to the end zone he slipped and his knee touched when the ball was at the half yard line. I watched the replay many times and sadly he truly was down. We had time for one more play in regulation. The call was 30 base. The bay city linebackers were stacked in the middle. One jumped the snap, leaped over the center and blew up the play in the backfield. An off tackle play would have scored. Had we gotten to OT we had a huge advantage at kicker. And yes bay city blew out the next two opponents for the title. I've replayed that final series in my mind many times. If recall is correct we had two td's called back in that game on penalties. That game was truly the big one that got away.

[quote name="GGilbert 7 2010" post="1131752" timestamp="1322348216"]
[quote author=BRONX ROX link=topic=92236.msg1130905#msg1130905 date=1322317307]
I hate Lake Travis  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote] why would you say that cause they are good and a very classy team nobody in setx can hold lake Travis jock strap I promise you that
[/quote]

It was pretty much a joke.  Most of Dayton feels that we'd have won the state championship in 2007 had we not run into the unstoppable force that is Lake Travis in the semi-finals.  It wasn't a shot at LT because everything you describe is correct.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1131238" timestamp="1322338545"]

For me it would have to be the 2009 Central Team that only went three rounds and end up getting blown out by Friendswood..I feel we should have did better mainly On Defense..Also our Offense really didnt show as much as they should..

Also our 2003 team who had the game won against Bay City in the 3rd round but let it slip through our hands..That team had arguably the best Defense to come through SETX lead by LB David Dixion and Anthony Collins

Honarable Mention
2010 team, that lost to Humble, that team had alot of Hype but only manage to go 2rounds
[/quote]David Dixon graduated in 2003.  He didn't play on the 2003 football team...  That team featured Jordy Matherson, Mike Feacher, the RB, Ivory 'Chopper' Williams and Anthony Collins. 

I'd have to give an Over achiever and under achiever.  Over have to go to the 2008 team.  Under is probably the 2007 team that missed the playoffs.  We were loaded and had 2 blue chippers that were Brothers (Derrick Hall (Navorro and Tulsa) and Charlie Thomas (Texas A&M).
[/quote]

Let's not forget the 89-90 Central Jags.  They were ousted by Angleton in the Area round during my Senior Year and my Post-Senior year ( 90-91 ) to Aldine Mustangs in Bi-District round after shutting down six of ten teams during the regular season.

2011 Buna Cougars

Only 2A team to beat Orangefield
hung with Newton and fell apart in the second half
hung with Anahuac and fell apart in the second half
didn't even show up for the East Chambers game
and left it all on the field during Senior Night against Woodville. Very young, but talented team. Very disappointing year.

The best team that underachieved? The 2009 PN-G Indians. Don't take it the wrong way; I'm not disappointed in them in the slightest. PN-G lost a student two days before the loss to eventual state finalist Brenham and I don't blame those boys in the slightest for the lack of effort and heart they showed in the first half - it was obvious that their minds were elsewhere and there's nothing wrong with that given the circumstances. I still think they have a lot to be proud of in the way they came out and almost made a comeback from a 20-0 Brenham lead at halftime (final score was 27-21 Brenham). I've often wondered what Coach Faircloth said to them during halftime to bring them back into the game - it must've been one heck of a speech.

The most disappointing season, however, has to be the 2008 season. We won our first three games just to lose the last six (the third game of the season, PN-G @ Texas City, was cancelled due to Hurricane Ike). But I guess it all worked out. Without the 3-6 2008 season, we would have had no Brandon Faircloth and no 10-0 2009 season.

MHS Jaamal Charles senior year upset Spring Westfield jaamal rushed for 495 i believe not quite sure but was 400 yards and lost to John Tyler or Tyler Lee without jaamal non district game 19-7. Both teams ended up playing for the State championship that year while Jaamal ran for 6 tds in a OT lost in First round to Lafell(carolina Panthers) Houston Lamar. Had the team to go all the way that year

[quote name="Boogie409" post="1134227" timestamp="1322554992"]
MHS Jaamal Charles senior year upset Spring Westfield jaamal rushed for 495 i believe not quite sure but was 400 yards and lost to John Tyler or Tyler Lee without jaamal non district game 19-7. Both teams ended up playing for the State championship that year while Jaamal ran for 6 tds in a OT lost in First round to Lafell(carolina Panthers) Houston Lamar. Had the team to go all the way that year
[/quote]Without a dout!!!!!!! His whole offensive line came back that year.

[quote name="CHSGrad1990" post="1133272" timestamp="1322447644"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=92236.msg1131238#msg1131238 date=1322338545]

Honarable Mention

[/quote]

Let's not forget the 89-90 Central Jags.  They were ousted by Angleton in the Area round during my Senior Year and my Post-Senior year ( 90-91 ) to Aldine Mustangs in Bi-District round after shutting down six of ten teams during the regular season.
[/quote]

Yea that 1990 Team was really good, and our Defense was one of the best in the State that year and our offense was pretty good to, we just drew the shorter straw getting the #1 Team in the Nation in Aldine

The 2008 and 2009 Cleveland Indian teams failed to make it past the 2nd round playoff game in those years. Both teams were highly ranked all year, undefeated in district each year, loaded with experience and talent, but disappeared after beating Hardin-Jefferson in the first round playoff each of those years. Very disappointing.

[quote name="BunaBoy84" post="1133339" timestamp="1322452603"]
2011 Buna Cougars

Only 2A team to beat Orangefield
hung with Newton and fell apart in the second half
hung with Anahuac and fell apart in the second half
didn't even show up for the East Chambers game
and left it all on the field during Senior Night against Woodville. Very young, but talented team. Very disappointing year.
[/quote]

yall also had a pretty good team back in98 or 99 that went 2 or 3 rounds deep in the playoffs. 1 game away from playing at the astrodome. loaded with talent and the o line was HUGE

99 Crosby team that went 1-9. The defense was the best I ever had in 28 years of coaching, we were still a top 5 in 4A in Chronicle stats at a record of 1-4. This was the year we lost in Dayton with the mysterious clock keeper which allowed them to kick a winning field goal. I had the game stopped to let refs be aware and our stands thought I was the cause of them having a chance to win. Ref crew sent us a letter of apology the next day when they realized the "malfunctions" of the stadium clock as they put it. Jerry got me on that game. Not blaming Jerry -he coached his kids up. That 1-9 team underachieved but it was the fault of us.

2007 WB Bruins, excellent size on both sides of the ball. Loaded with DI talent, great depth. Great size on the jV team as well. Had the game won against FB Clements lead by David Carr's brother, Derek but slipped away in litterally the finals minutes.

2008 WB Bruins, same as 2007 team, Christine Micheal's senior year, lost to Dickerson by 1, we all wanted to see C-Mike against Katy's defense and Katy was anticipating it as well.

The over definitely has to go with 2009 team ;) and the 2005 team.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder