HJ football fans deserve better

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have heard ENOUGH! you people!!! "i'm closer to the program and school," "no, i am, iam!" do me a favor and get back to your day job! here's the deal... let's just say that HJ runs David Martel out of town...(1) they lose a man that is passionate and professional and loves his students! he spends countless hours at that school everyday! he cares about every sport!!! he cares about his community!!! (2)who will they hire? how many coaches do you think are banging down the doors to be let in the house over there??? and if there are some, will they be as passionate as DAVID? or will they be someone who is trying to live out their dreams through high school kids as most of you do on this forum everyday!

it is a shame that grown-ups get on this forum to bash other grown-ups, programs, and sometimes even the kids. i hope you know that kids DO READ THIS STUFF. and you know what possibly even the MARTEL children. who are AMAZING kids by the way!!! do they deserve it?

maybe some of those basketball players should play football. however, what if basketball is their ticket out of town or on to the next level? i agree that the community support is lacking in the stands, but i think the figures are a little off. you see, i sit in those stands and i know i was surrounded by more than 53 people at the Silsbee game.

i think that the editorial was tasteless and so is perpetuating it. i wish this whole post didn't exist! i think DAVID MARTEL IS THE RIGHT PERSON.

lastly, i will have you know that HJ leads the area in something FAR more important than any sport...ACADEMICS. you know, the reasons we have schools in the first place!

now, that i've let that out... i feel much better!

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="birdmascot" post="1139401" timestamp="1323013081"]
i have heard ENOUGH! you people!!! "i'm closer to the program and school," "no, i am, iam!" do me a favor and get back to your day job! here's the deal... let's just say that HJ runs David Martel out of town...(1) they lose a man that is passionate and professional and loves his students! he spends countless hours at that school everyday! he cares about every sport!!! he cares about his community!!! (2)who will they hire? how many coaches do you think are banging down the doors to be let in the house over there??? and if there are some, will they be as passionate as DAVID? or will they be someone who is trying to live out their dreams through high school kids as most of you do on this forum everyday!

it is a shame that grown-ups get on this forum to bash other grown-ups, programs, and sometimes even the kids. i hope you know that kids DO READ THIS STUFF. and you know what possibly even the MARTEL children. who are AMAZING kids by the way!!! do they deserve it?

maybe some of those basketball players should play football. however, what if basketball is their ticket out of town or on to the next level? i agree that the community support is lacking in the stands, but i think the figures are a little off. you see, i sit in those stands and i know i was surrounded by more than 53 people at the Silsbee game.

i think that the editorial was tasteless and so is perpetuating it. i wish this whole post didn't exist! i think DAVID MARTEL IS THE RIGHT PERSON.

lastly, i will have you know that HJ leads the area in something FAR more important than any sport...ACADEMICS. you know, the reasons we have schools in the first place!

now, that i've let that out... i feel much better!
[/quote]

WOW !!  That was outstanding.  Here's a karma smack for you.  Keep up that attitude and spread it to those who need it.

I don't have dog in the hunt but I see good points on both sides. I agree with WOS, about kids attitude starts at a young age. Coldspring kids are encouraged by all of the community to play Football, Basketball, and Baseball at 4-5 years old. 90% of the kids on the Football team played together when they were 4-5 yrs. old. The parents don't always agree but the Youth Coaches all got along and the same coaches coached every sport and actively seeked kids in the schools to play at a early age. They also made it fun and we always had good teams because the kids believed in the coaches, they did not Daddy Ball it.
  The next level is Junior High, without this transition all is lost. The Junior High Coaches is the key for any High Scool Coach that wants a winning program. At this point discipline, fairness from the coach, parent committment and team committment are required. Example: Splendora has good athletes and challenged us in Junior High but the Splendora Coaches cussed and belittled their kids until 50% quite before High School. I could not believe how they trated them. The new AD has now replaced most of them.
  Finally you have to have a AD that is committed to the school and community. Barbay or any of the coaches are not scared to talk football with the parents or kids and even explain their actions or moves on the field. But don't ask if you don't want the answer, because if a kid is lacking in ability they will tell you. He will defend his coaches but he holds them accountable. If they don't produce he will find another.
  If HJ is going to have a good program the Community needs to come together and brain storm, with the Coaches and School to see how the parents/community can help and look at a program like the WOS tradition to see what works. It may not be in place right away but in 5-6 years will have that tradition. If parents of the High School kids now are trying to get a quick fix, it is not going to happen by replacing the AD. I talked smack when we play but I really do believe WOS has a strong program and could give you a template to work from. No need to reply to my post if don't like it, just food for thought. 

There is nothing wrong with having a dominant hoop program and a weak football program, though you would like to be good in both, but it doesn't always happen that way. Believe me, I like to see the tables turn a little bit. Of course this is coming from a former basketball player that played in the 1980s in SE Texas. Football reigned supreme at our school and most of our coaches were football coaches that could care less about the game of basketball and played the football players more on the court all the way up to the JV level because they knew them better. We would get hammered in those games and the true basketball players would rally and close the deficit. By the time we reached the varsity level, and all of the football players quit, we won 20 games our junior year and 20 again as seniors. By the way, we never had a winning season from seventh grade through the JV level. Rock on Hawks Hoops, Rock on!

When HJ community decides to get behind the football program, it will happen. Seems to me they made a conscious decision to be a basketball first school sometimes back. Even during our glory basketball years of '02 - '06 lovingly refered to as the "English Years", most Vidorians still yearned for football. We're only putting about 50+ people in the stands for basketball right now but we haven't had any home games. Jeff Mathews and the coaching staff delivered and we put 8000+ on our side of the field for every playoff game. People do laugh when there is talk about us wanting to emulate Nederland but it's the truth; they have a successful athletic program because they have a great athletic director who has been in place for a long time and he cares about the kids and the community. That's the key; good AD and a community that's behind him.

[quote name="robanadana" post="1144169" timestamp="1323576067"]
When HJ community decides to get behind the football program, it will happen. Seems to me they made a conscious decision to be a basketball first school sometimes back. Even during our glory basketball years of '02 - '06 lovingly refered to as the "English Years", most Vidorians still yearned for football. We're only putting about 50+ people in the stands for basketball right now but we haven't had any home games. Jeff Mathews and the coaching staff delivered and we put 8000+ on our side of the field for every playoff game. People do laugh when there is talk about us wanting to emulate Nederland but it's the truth; they have a successful athletic program because they have a great athletic director who has been in place for a long time and he cares about the kids and the community. That's the key; good AD and a community that's behind him.
[/quote]

+1 you are exactly right

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    xyurnnsw
    Newest Member
    xyurnnsw