Brett Ramsey was snubbed

bobcatfan

After looking at the 21-3A all district selections i can definitely see one glaring omission and that was Brett Ramsey not making all district QB. I can only think of 2 reasons why Dishon made all district qb over Brett. Reputation and politics. Because if you look at it objectively, there is NO WAY he shouldve made it this year. And if anyone from Bridge City is reading this and disagrees with this, i'll spell it out completely for you where there should be no argument. Here's a few simple reasons why:

1. Stats (Season/District). The most objective measure of an individual record is stats. Ramsey was better in almost every category thinkable. heres their stats for year.

Dishon 1600 Total Yards 13 TD's

(let it be noted that 3 of Dishons 4 biggest rushing games came in nondistrict play)

Ramsey 1966 Total Yards 28 TD's

District stats:

Dishon 670 yards rushing 300 passing

Ramsey 790 yards rushing 500 passing

Season Passing td's: Ramsey 9 Dishon 2

Season Rushing td's: Ramsey 19 Dishon 11

2. Games versus the 3 playoff teams. While Brett Ramsey was quite a gamer against the 3 best teams in district, Dishon had pedestrian stats against the powerhouse district teams. Here is their stats compared in those games:

WOS: Ramsey 182 yds rush, 12 pass, 2 rush tds

Dishon 74 yds rush , 0 pass, 0 tds

Silsbee: Ramsey 72 yds rush, 106 pass, 1 rush 1 pass td

Dishon 37 yds rush, 41 pass, 1 rush td 0 pass td

Kirbyville: Ramsey 73 yds rush, 165 pass, 2 rush 2 pass td

Dishon 28 yds rush, 56 pass, 1 rush td 0 pass td

Ramsey total yards in 3 games: 610

Dishon total yards in 3 games: 236

3. Passing. While Dishon is a great QB who's an unbelievable athlete, most would agree hes a running back playing the qb position. Ramsey is the total package nearly breaking 1000 yards passing and only rushing for 100 yards less or so than Dishon. Ramsey passed for at least 70 yards in his first 7 games while Dishon did it only 3 times all season. Ramsey had 4-100 yd passing games while Dishon had 1 (for 108 yds).

Both players were vital to their teams success so to make that argument is splitting hairs because neither team wouldve succeeded without their QB this year. I welcome any debates or arguments for both sides. BC people are welcome to defend your guy on here, but i say good luck based on the stats i've given.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last two comments pretty much hit the nail on the head. Purely going by statistics means nothing. It is like Coach of the Year. Often you will see a coach that brings a losing program up to the playoffs get the Coach of the Year. He may be 8-3 in the end and another coach might have ended 10-1 but is the fact that he took a team with a previously losing record to the playoffs generally shows a better overall job of coaching.

If nothing but stats were used to pick players and coaches, why would there even be a vote? Just let a computer spit the all-district teams out.

EDIT: For an example, look at Ron Mohica last year for Nederland. He was the defensive MVP for district 20-4A. I doubt that he was even in the top 4 tacklers on Nederland's team so how did he get to be MVP and on the PA News and Beaumont Enterprise's Super Teams? Because he completely disrupted offensive lines and often took on double and triple teams. Everyone else got the stats while to was taking on the whole offensive line. There is nothing in the stats that show that but the coaches that voted on the all-district teams sure knew it and gave him the MVP.

You're right tvc184, you cant go strictly by the numbers all the time. But you have to admit theres a lot of numbers that support ramsey having the better year. Speaking of teams and their expectations, going off your coach of the year argument...Ramsey took a team picked DEAD LAST in texas football magazine and made them into a playoff contender (5th place out of 8 teams) that played everyone competitively and EXCEEDED everyones expectations while Dishons team finished about where everyone thought they'd finish. And vp93, while statistics are facts your opinion about a coordinator trying to figure out how to stop dishon over ramsey is totally opinion. Because one could argue while dishon is more athletic, there isnt threat of the passing game that there is with ramsey and ramsey can still run well and is hard to bring down.

Sounds like he had an awesome year. I am not that familiar with the players in 21-3A and don't pull for any of the teams in that district anyway so I don't have a dog in the hunt.

Dishon sure seems to get more press than Ramsey and perception is everything.

Guest Orangeboy

You have made some good points, but usually when the coaches vote on these awards, the first place team gets the most while the worst team usually gets the least amount. I agree Ramsey had a great year and should have been recognized in some way.

Guest bleed orange

So lets see BCrunningback, your trying to tell me that he made all district over brett because of one game. Now thats a brillant observation. Good greif, that has to be the dumbest post I have ever read. :shock:

It could have gone down as such:

Second team QB went up on the board.

BC, OF, Team A, and Team B put up their QB's.

Maybe the stats went in this order

OF

Team A

BC

Team B

It was obvious that OF should win and he got the votes of Team D and Team E. (One of which is the coach of the first team all dist QB)

Two votes for the best stats

OF coach saw that Team A's qb's stats are a danger to his kid winning and he votes for BC. (He cannot vote for his own player)

One vote for BC

Team A's coach saw that OF was the obvious winner and voted for BC. (He cannot vote for his own player)

Two votes for BC

Team B's coach saw that OF and Team A's stats were better than his kid and voted for BC trying to split the vote. (He cannot vote for his own player)

Three votes for BC

3 for BC

2 for OF

I know there are more teams in the district, this is just an example.

This happens all of the time. When four go up on the board it needs to be cut down to two or three by the coaches whose players are not up there.

Then do not allow the coaches of those two or three players on the board to vote at all.

This does take more time, but keeps this type of injustice from occuring.

In my opinion they should have given two second team QB. My hunch is that the coaches knew they screwed up and knew that they should give two second team QB's but they could not because OF was not the next highest vote getter. He might have been third or tied for second and giving three is going too far.

I believe he was not looked at that hard due to where he went to school..

It happens alot.People from the schools that get alot of all district players will disagree.

and in those selections it depends how hard that coach pushes the issue.

Usually a QB could take the Offensive MVP.

then the second choice takes 1st team qb ,and then the third choice would take 2nd team honors.and then there is honorable mention.

Guest bleed orange

For the record bcrunningback08. With Dishon at quaterback you guys were doing nothing against us in the first half. But when you moved him to tailback and put the other kid at quaterback is when you started to move the ball on us and took control of the game.

Guest BobcatBeliever

I think that anybody in this area that knows anything at all about High School football, knows very well what Ramsey has done for his team and school. Brett has enough character as a person that this slight on a title and patch isn't going to make or break him as a productive responsible adult. We're all proud of you, Brett.

I think that anybody in this area that knows anything at all about High School football' date=' knows very well what Ramsey has done for his team and school. Brett has enough character as a person that this slight on a title and patch isn't going to make or break him as a productive responsible adult. We're all proud of you, Brett.[/quote']

I would hope this for all the young athletes in SETX! It is just a patch and name in the paper. The coaches cant give everyone an award or it would be worthless (This would make it Little league). This is what happens when UIL throws 8 teams in a District some kids will not get the awards that they would have in a 6 team district.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ssiiiiaa
    Newest Member
    ssiiiiaa