TEA Academic Ratings

Guest ECBucFan

Guest ECBucFan
[u]"Academically Recognized":[/u]

Barbers Hill, Evadale, East Chambers, Sabine Pass,

[u]"Academically Acceptable ": [/u]

Bridge City, Orangefield, Vidor, LC-M, Nederland, PN-G, BISD, Hamshire-Fannett, Anahuac, Kountze, Silsbee, H-J, Lumberton, West Hardin, Cleveland, Dayton, Hardin, H-D, Liberty, Deweyville, Buna, Jasper, Kirbyville.

[u]"Academically Unacceptable ":[/u]

Port Arthur, Burkville, Newton, Jasper, Tarkington, WO-S.

If memory serves, students can transfer out of "Unacceptable" schools and play sports immeadiately elsewhere.  

Guest ECBucFan
High School campuses only. I was thinking "football teams" when I looked them up. If there are any errors or omissions, feel free to correct. Can anyone verify the athletic transfer aspect here? 

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1030023" timestamp="1312161657"]

Bridge City, Orangefield, Vidor, LC-M, Nederland, PN-G, BISD, Hamshire-Fannett, Anahuac, Kountze, Silsbee, H-J, Lumberton, West Hardin, Cleveland, Dayton, Hardin, H-D, Liberty, Deweyville, Buna, Jasper, Kirbyville.

If memory serves, students can transfer out of "Unacceptable" schools and play sports immeadiately elsewhere.  
[/quote]

I was unable to confirm that was correct.  But I did run across an article from December, 2010 which noted that both PA Memorial and West Orange-Stark had to allow transfers.  Given that they were again on the academically unacceptable list, it is probably pretty safe to say that immediate transfers will be allowed from both of those schools.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="liltex" post="1030057" timestamp="1312164226"]
Show me an area of high unemployment/little job opportunities and it'll reflect on education.[/quote]

I disagree. That thinking is a "crutch" commonly used to excuse away poor performance. The size of your house or bank account does [i]not[/i] correlate with intelligence and effort. Besides, how could the TEA possibly look at every single students circumstances anyway? Schools are comprised with a wide variety of students from  diverse backgrounds.    

Anyway, adding a few: Colmesniel, Woodville, Warren, Chester, High Island are all "Acceptable".

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1030076" timestamp="1312165900"]
Isn't this 3 straight years that Jasper High school has been rated "Unacceptable" and now 4 of the last 6 years that WOS High has been rated "Unacceptable"?
[/quote]

Sadly, I believe that is correct for WO-S.  As I stated during the hiring process of Coach Thompson, I don't know that it would be fair to lay these results at the feet of Mr. Hill or Superintendent Colbert as Mr. Hill was hired on literally days before the start of the 2010-2011 school year and Superintendent Colbert was hired even later.  BUT (and this probably comes as no surprise to either of them), they ARE NOW ON THE CLOCK!

[quote name="FriendswoodFan" post="1030079" timestamp="1312166143"]
I do think that transfers must be allowed.  But, recruiting remains taboo.  

Also, and FYI, Friendswood is the only 4A or 5A district in the Greater Houston area to be rated "Exemplary" (every school in the district was rated "Exemplary")!   ;)
[/quote]

I read that! Congrats to Friendswood, It's unbelievable how good Friendswood is at everything! Should be very proud to be a Mustang!

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1030023" timestamp="1312161657"]

[/quote]

School Name: HARDIN-JEFFERSON H S
School Number: 100905001
2010 School Accountability Rating: Recognized
Gold Performance Acknowledgments:
College-Ready Graduates (Class of 2009)
Texas Success Initiative (TSI) ELA
Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Mathematics
District Name: HARDIN-JEFFERSON ISD
2010 District Accountability Rating: Recognized

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1030027" timestamp="1312162247"]
Is this by district or high school? If by district (BISD is listed instead of its three individual high schools), Nederland, PN-G, H-F, Lumberton, Bridge City, Orangefield, and I believe H-J and Silsbee are all Recognized.
[/quote]

PNG High was just acceptable.  They PNGISD did have 4 schools that were recognized I believe....that is to say if this is based on the TEA scores from BH fan posted a link to in another thread.

Heard it on 99.9 fm radio this a.m by the Liberty supt.that ratings say on 1 class to do not reflect what the grade above or below scored;Example Liberty MS 8th grade had poor test results in 1 class in Science that was enuff to pull down the scores of the other 2 grades to unacceptable status.

[quote name="90PNGNDN" post="1030265" timestamp="1312215322"]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=86181.msg1030027#msg1030027 date=1312162247]
Is this by district or high school? If by district (BISD is listed instead of its three individual high schools), Nederland, PN-G, H-F, Lumberton, Bridge City, Orangefield, and I believe H-J and Silsbee are all Recognized.
[/quote]

PNG High was just acceptable.  They PNGISD did have 4 schools that were recognized I believe....that is to say if this is based on the TEA scores from BH fan posted a link to in another thread.
[/quote]

PN-GISD had four Exemplary schools, two Recognized schools and three Academically Acceptable schools. By comparison, we had four Recognized schools and five Exemplary schools last year, being one of the only (I believe the only) large distrct in the Golden Triangle area to have no schools with less than a Recognized rating.

The state's new accountability guidelines hurt us... a lot.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1030094" timestamp="1312167277"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=86181.msg1030076#msg1030076 date=1312165900]
Isn't this 3 straight years that Jasper High school has been rated "Unacceptable" and now 4 of the last 6 years that WOS High has been rated "Unacceptable"?
[/quote]

Sadly, I believe that is correct for WO-S.  As I stated during the hiring process of Coach Thompson, I don't know that it would be fair to lay these results at the feet of Mr. Hill or Superintendent Colbert as Mr. Hill was hired on literally days before the start of the 2010-2011 school year and Superintendent Colbert was hired even later.  BUT (and this probably comes as no surprise to either of them), they ARE NOW ON THE CLOCK!
[/quote]

Sadly, rarely is it the school administration, teachers or anyone else involved with the schools fault. Usually the blame rest at home. Kids sit in the same class listening to the same teacher say the same thing about the same subject. One fails and one passes. The one who passes often has family support and a emphasis is put on education at home. The one who fails often may not have much of a family life much less family support. The errosion of the family is often to blame. I went to open house when one my kids was young and asked the techer if there was anything I needed to be aware of and she said " oh no, you really din't even need to come tonight; The parents that need to be here never show up and the ones who show up don't need to be here". I guess that kind of sums it up.

[quote name="JohnnyT60" post="1030327" timestamp="1312224626"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=86181.msg1030094#msg1030094 date=1312167277]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=86181.msg1030076#msg1030076 date=1312165900]
[/quote]

Sadly, I believe that is correct for WO-S.  As I stated during the hiring process of Coach Thompson, I don't know that it would be fair to lay these results at the feet of Mr. Hill or Superintendent Colbert as Mr. Hill was hired on literally days before the start of the 2010-2011 school year and Superintendent Colbert was hired even later.  BUT (and this probably comes as no surprise to either of them), they ARE NOW ON THE CLOCK!
[/quote]

Sadly, rarely is it the school administration, teachers or anyone else involved with the schools fault. Usually the blame rest at home. Kids sit in the same class listening to the same teacher say the same thing about the same subject. One fails and one passes. The one who passes often has family support and a emphasis is put on education at home. The one who fails often may not have much of a family life much less family support. The errosion of the family is often to blame. I went to open house when one my kids was young and asked the techer if there was anything I needed to be aware of and she said " oh no, you really din't even need to come tonight; The parents that need to be here never show up and the ones who show up don't need to be here". I guess that kind of sums it up.
[/quote]

Johnny, for the most part I agree with you.  But in the case of West Orange-Stark High, I believe that change within the administration will bring some needed change as the former principal was as apathetic as some of the parents you reference.  In fact, he saw WO-S more as a type of e-harmony.com rather than a high school.

I agree every effort needs to be made to rescue a kid from a bad homelife. Your success rate is going to be pretty low, but even if you just get a few it is well worth it. That is one reason I think HS athletics are important. For many it is the only adult direction and nurturing they get.

Guest ECBucFan
The link I am accessing (that was listed in the BH-Dayton thread) indicates H-J, PN-G, and Anahuac [u]high schools[/u] as all "Acceptable", not "Recognized". I did specify [u]high schools[/u] earlier, as I was considering football teams.  

0[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1030321" timestamp="1312223444"]
[quote author=90PNGNDN link=topic=86181.msg1030265#msg1030265 date=1312215322]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=86181.msg1030027#msg1030027 date=1312162247]
[/quote]

PNG High was just acceptable.  They PNGISD did have 4 schools that were recognized I believe....that is to say if this is based on the TEA scores from BH fan posted a link to in another thread.
[/quote]

PN-GISD had four Exemplary schools, two Recognized schools and three Academically Acceptable schools. By comparison, we had four Recognized schools and five Exemplary schools last year, being one of the only (I believe the only) large distrct in the Golden Triangle area to have no schools with less than a Recognized rating.

[/quote]sorry I quoted from memory and it failed me lol

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1030321" timestamp="1312223444"]
[quote author=90PNGNDN link=topic=86181.msg1030265#msg1030265 date=1312215322]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Those HS numbers could drop when you graduate.  ;)

Guest ECBucFan
I noticed in the mock realignment Newton had dropped to Div II in 2A. Just a few years ago, they were in 3A. Looks like their enrollment is decreasing.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin