All UIL Football Championship Games (5A-1A) to be played at Cowboy Stadium

The schedule just announced by the UIL:

3A DI Championship: Friday, December 9, 2011, 7:30 p.m.
1A DI Championship: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 12:00 p.m.
1A DII Championship: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 4:00 p.m.
2A DI Championship: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 8:00 p.m.
2A DII Championship: Friday, December 16, 2011, 12:00 p.m.
3A DII Championship: Friday, December 16, 2011, 4:00 p.m.
4A DI Championship: Friday, December 16, 2011, 8:00 p.m.
4A DII Championship: Saturday, December 17, 2011, 12:00 p.m.
5A DI Championship: Saturday, December 17, 2011, 4:00 p.m.
5A DII Championship: Saturday, December 17, 2011, 8:00 p.m.

Guest ECBucFan
AAW is 100% correct! Thats my thoughts exactly.

Unfortunately, the UIL is going to follow the $$$$, wherever the greatest profit is. They simply don't care what anyone thinks.

Regardless, I'll be there!   ;D

There was a time when the thought of all classes having their championship all contested at the same venue was a dream...one that the UIL never really cared to share prior to the era of televising the championship games.  However, that was a time when 5 11-man titles were being decided, not 9.  

Now, as a fan, it would be cool to OD on championship high school football.  However, I never thought that the 2 coaches contesting the championship ever did a bad job of deciding where the ultimate game should be played.  It was generally a point that was less stressful on travel budgets on both teams alike.  And where appropriate, the coaches were able to secure marquee venues like the Astrodome, the Alamodome, Reliant Stadium and Texas Stadium, along with other grand venues like Kyle Field and Darrel K. Royal Memorial Stadium so it is not like the young men who contested these titles were playing them in 500 seat stadiums.  

I guess it kind of irritates me that the UIL does this, as AAW and ECBucFan correctly note, for purposes of further lining their pockets and then tries to feed me the line that it to "allow the young men to play in venues that they never would have played in otherwise."  Bull, as I noted above, they were playing in those venues when they spread out.  Second, I knew a number of those that played for the 4A State Championship in 1986 and 87 and those young men would have played on any 100 x 53 1/3 yard space regardless of whether it was in the grandest of stadiums or in a pasture between Winnie and Anahuac as long as they were competing for that title.  I suspect that many of those who have had the opportunity to do the same would share the same point of view.  

But I understand that my thought will not prevail and that all games will be held in one venue.  But IF that is done, why is that not done as it is done in EVERY other sport that the UIL sanctions....that is have the competition in Austin, Texas.  Darrell K. Royal Stadium has the LARGEST regular seating capacity in the State of Texas.  It is mystifying why the home base of the UIL is more than sufficient to host the finals for all sports, except one...and interestingly enough that one is a sport that, with due respect to all of the others, kind of defines Texas high school sports!  It even makes economic sense as FOX Sports would still pay the UIL a king's ransom to broadcast these games and the UIL's parent, gets the gate and concessions.  Please spare me the weather arguments, this is Texas, not Alaska, we are talking about.

But I am one voice in an unincorporated part of Harris County.

Great three days of football. A dream comes true for me. This is the only way a high school football fan can see ALL the state championship games. There was no way possible to see more than maybe three games in the past.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1028200" timestamp="1311682071"]
Furthermore, I wouldn't want my state runner-up team playing in the same stadium that the Cowgals play in.   ;D ;D
[/quote]

I have yet to recover from sitting in that hell-hole.  Not to mention paying 30 bucks for a cold ars hamburger that was missing half of what's supposed to be on a hamburger.  Jerry Jone's and his burger sucks!  He's not from Dayton is he? 

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1028082" timestamp="1311640918"]
Don't like it. These games should be on a 3 year rotation.

Cowboy Stadium
Reliant Stadium
Alamodome

Spread the wealth and not make schools from outside the Metroplex have to travel all the time.
[/quote]

I agree with the thought of making DFW schools have to travel but I don't see Reliant ever being in the mix until they get turf. Pro field or not a grass field would take a beating and when the 5As finally got to play it would be awful..

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1028114" timestamp="1311646071"]
There was a time when the thought of all classes having their championship all contested at the same venue was a dream...one that the UIL never really cared to share prior to the era of televising the championship games.  However, that was a time when 5 11-man titles were being decided, not 9.  

Now, as a fan, it would be cool to OD on championship high school football.  However, I never thought that the 2 coaches contesting the championship ever did a bad job of deciding where the ultimate game should be played.  It was generally a point that was less stressful on travel budgets on both teams alike.  And where appropriate, the coaches were able to secure marquee venues like the Astrodome, the Alamodome, Reliant Stadium and Texas Stadium, along with other grand venues like Kyle Field and Darrel K. Royal Memorial Stadium so it is not like the young men who contested these titles were playing them in 500 seat stadiums.  

I guess it kind of irritates me that the UIL does this, as AAW and ECBucFan correctly note, for purposes of further lining their pockets and then tries to feed me the line that it to "allow the young men to play in venues that they never would have played in otherwise."  Bull, as I noted above, they were playing in those venues when they spread out.  Second, I knew a number of those that played for the 4A State Championship in 1986 and 87 and those young men would have played on any 100 x 53 1/3 yard space regardless of whether it was in the grandest of stadiums or in a pasture between Winnie and Anahuac as long as they were competing for that title.  I suspect that many of those who have had the opportunity to do the same would share the same point of view.  

But I understand that my thought will not prevail and that all games will be held in one venue.  But IF that is done, why is that not done as it is done in EVERY other sport that the UIL sanctions....that is have the competition in Austin, Texas.  Darrell K. Royal Stadium has the LARGEST regular seating capacity in the State of Texas.  It is mystifying why the home base of the UIL is more than sufficient to host the finals for all sports, except one...and interestingly enough that one is a sport that, with due respect to all of the others, kind of defines Texas high school sports!  It even makes economic sense as FOX Sports would still pay the UIL a king's ransom to broadcast these games and the UIL's parent, gets the gate and concessions.  Please spare me the weather arguments, this is Texas, not Alaska, we are talking about.

But I am one voice in an unincorporated part of Harris County.
[/quote]

Two years ago that argument would have been null and void as Royal Memorial Stadium was a grass surface.  With field turf, it can host as many games a time allows.

Didn't they have the 5A,4A, and 3A championship games there last year? The larger classifications should be used to going to these large venues, but for the little guys in 2A and 1A it's the chance of a lifetime. Most of these smaller schools more than likely wouldn't be able to afford to play there otherwise, so it's a great opportunity for the schools lucky enough to get there(can see every one of them getting wide eyed like the scene in Hoosiers when they reach the championship game). I agree, however, that greed did play a role in this. Guess Jerr-ah needed some bath oil beads for his private jet's hot tub or something..........
But that being said, I hope my team gets there for I will get to be on the sidelines reporting for our county paper!!!!!!!! GET 'EM TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317

• He actually had a pretty solid year for a sophomore starting in that district. I can assure you, it hasn't hurt his recruiting at all and that will only improve with the move back to the Wack. 
    • If Crumedy eventually has bigger aspirations than being in Jasper, every aspect of the program will be looked at when someone interviews him for any job. He knows that. The mindset needs to be that any time someone wears a Jasper uniform, that they're doing everything they possibly can to win. It matters.
    • This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up It's a poll but I could definitely see this as realistic.   From the article: Catholics in the United States have swung dramatically against President Biden in recent years, now boasting a significant statistical break towards his GOP challenger. Pew Research released on Apr. 30 a report exploring support for presidential candidates sorted by religious affiliation. The poll found that 55% of Catholics support or lean towards supporting former President Donald Trump in a head-to-head against Biden. Conversely, only 45% of Catholics support Biden in the same one-on-one pairing. The 12% margin of support in favor of Trump marks a significant shift from 2020, when he held an extremely narrow lead — 50% to 49%. Biden currently leads among Hispanic Catholics with a narrow 49%-47% split, but the close contest marks a major shift rightward for the demographic. In 2020, a similar poll from Pew Research found Hispanic Catholics preferred Biden to Trump with a staggering 67%-26% split.
    • You said a lot there. Truthfully, that is the root of the issue. Who cares what a kid thinks about how coaches are running a program? Kids play, coaches coach. For some reason, parents have this backward in a lot of places and its wreaking havoc. 
    • He's already stated he's a huge Clinton fan.
  • Topics