LaMarque starting QB arrested and suspended!!!

BH88

Coogs’ star quarterback arrested

By Joshua Buckley

The Daily News

Published November 15, 2006 - Updated 22 minutes ago

LA MARQUE — Two days before the start of high school football playoffs, school officials have suspended Cougars senior starting quarterback Durkelyn Haynes from the football team.

Haynes, 17, is charged with possession of a controlled substance (Xanax), which carries a possible jail term of up to a year, as well as a fine of up to $4,000.

According to La Marque police reports, a vehicle was stopped in the 1100 block of Cedar at 2:24 a.m. Tuesday for a traffic violation.

Officers reported finding a plastic pill bottle with the outside label ripped off. Police allege the bottle contained 34 Xanax pills.

Haynes was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance.

He was released after posting $2,500 bond at 3:15 p.m.

After learning of the arrest, La Marque athletic director and head football coach Bryan Erwin decided to suspend Haynes from the team.

“Durkelyn has been indefinitely suspended from the team,†Erwin said. “Based on the preliminary report we had, we decided to make that suspension for disruption of team unity.â€

Haynes had started all 10 games for the District 23-4A champion Coogs. He threw for 1,438 yards and 20 touchdowns this season, along with rushing for 544 yards and three scores.

Erwin said junior Jarius Kerlegan would start for the Coogs in their playoff game against El Campo on Thursday at The Rig in Pearland. Kerlegan saw limited action this season, completing 9-of-19 passes for 163 yards and two touchdowns. He’s also thrown three interceptions.

Kerlegan is the younger brother of Larry Kerlegan, who led La Marque to the Class 4A, Division II state championship in 2003.

WOW! Thats got to hurt LaMarque. :shock:

Guest PurplePride

:cry: That is really sad...poor thing had no clue that his football ability was his ticket to a good life......the pills will get him no where, but where he is at.....or gonna be...jail....water and bread....he's young but he will grow up in there...that is really very sad.... :cry:

Guest PurplePride

I just hope other high schoolers read this and see how quick one little "Pill" can mess your whole life up....

Thanks for bringing it up...I wouldn't have known and others wouldn't have either...some think they are untouchable.........

Thank You Purple Pride! I agree that the kid's talent was his ticket to getting a scholarship and play ball in college. I know I stress to my boys on how important it is to stay away from drugs and alcohol. Do well in school and get a college education if you want to make it life. The main reason I posted the news article was because it's LaMarque's star QB and he is out for the playoffs.

Guest PurplePride

I agree! I know you, of all people, did not post that to be rude or inconsiderate......it is life...yeah, we like to turn the other cheek but it is life.....I would have posted it sooner if I had found it first...it knocks us all back into everyday life...what is unfortunately called.."REALITY"! hello? Thanks for the reality check........instead of worrying about what game we need to win next.......we all need to drop to our knees and thank the Lord that our children have been strong enough and HOUNDED enough to be fighting for a football victory this weekend instead of fighting the courts......

Thank you Lord! :D

Drugs' date=' kids, and jail on a sports message board? Maybe I'm missing something here. That is a big blow for Lamarque though. That leaves region III more wide open as ever.[/quote']

The news article is unfortunate, but it does effect the football playoffs that are starting this Friday night.

There is nothing wrong with posting this...It was in the newspaper and its public/valid. Its not our fault the kid did what he did...If he didnt want this kind of exposure' date=' he shouldnt have broken the law....Welcome to life.....[/quote']

Thank you jdawg03!

Once an article like that makes it to the public news, then it should be able to be posted here. The arrested student, his family or the team should not be personally attacked but to discuss what has been made public by a recognized news source seems appropriate.

There is a big difference between the discussion of public news with its effect on a team and personally attacking a person, team, etc.

It should be okay to say, "his team will have a much harder time winning now".

It should not be okay to say, "the whole team is a bunch of dopers and the coach is a low-life anyway... blah blah".

The "U" (Miami) will be chomping at the bit if they get wind of this story...he'll fit right in.

Seriously, tho...a highschool kid, 17, out after 2am on a Tuesday, in illegal possession of xanex pills...what a pity.

And it isn't just in LaMarque where illegal drugs are being possessed and peddled amongst highschoolers, it's in our own backyards...and you're kidding yourself if you say it isn't.

Hopefully by posting something like this it will snap a lot of them out of it before they are in the same boat.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder