Financial realities put restrictions on Lamar football schedule

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is scarey is the way Woodard said it. It is like he has no vision and can't think outside the box. I would hate to think we have a small mind running Lamar football.

I am curious to where he saw someone post on the internet that a FCS Lamar can host any FBS. I never saw on that on SETXSPORTS.
Maybe another site.

I like to add ULL recently hosted Big 12 Okie st. Maybe Woodard thinks if Lamar could never be a big boy like ULL.

[quote name="77" post="1015039" timestamp="1306683268"]
Its called reality!
[/quote]What exactly is this reality?  Everyone knows no FCS, like Lamar, can bring in a FBS. That is reality.
It is not reality if Lamar goes FBS.

I don't get the point of this article. It seems like Woodard would have done better in not doing this interview.

I figured that some would call Coach's words unambitious.  I prefer to call it tempering enthusiasm with realism.

I love that football is back at Lamar, but let's not make this program something that it is not.  It is not a program that has a lot to offer a Top 20 FBS team for that team to come to Beaumont.  I'm not saying at some point that it won't.  But let's step back folks! At this point last year, a team from Lamar University had not played a football game in over 20 years.  You don't go from that to FBS ready in a year.  I don't care about UTSA or others....Lamar is not there yet!

I think of it as sort of a coup that in merely the 4th year of the revival of this program, Lamar will have managed to land on the schedule of a BCS conference team!  Of course, I harbor no illusions as to why they will be visiting Stillwater, Waco, College Station or even Honolulu for that matter.  It is for those schools to provide an opportunity for their fans, alumni and boosters to see their school kick the crap out of somebody.  I still remember when ULL (then USL) went on their barnstorming tour which lead them to Jordan-Hare Stadium where Bo Jackson literally ran the Ragin Cajuns back to downtown Lafayette.  They got exposure alright...an entire nation saying "Those poor, dumb bastards."

But think of it this way, those that support the A&Ms, the UTs or the LSUs.  Do you think that they flock to the games to see who has come to town? No.  They flock there to see their teams play whoever it is that comes to town.  That is why even when lil' Lamar University comes to town, Kyle Field will be filled to capacity.  Whenever Lamar has that sort of following, not a following drawn by the novelty of the program or a concert following (that is a following drawn by who happens to be in town for the weekend), then it will be ready to host FBS teams.

As to Mr. Dabe's allegation that a push to get FBS schools into Provost Umphrey is a product of message boards, I will not say that no poster has ever harbored the wish that LU would at some point.  However, that this is an idea that has been pushed by this, or for that matter any board that as a part of it subject matter deals with Lamar U. sports  is absurd.

This is the same Dabe who on number of occasions had to print correction articles as he got facts like playoff scenarios in local high school races incorrect. And this is the same Christopher Dabe who reports one day in his "blog" that Lamar officials had made a presentation to WAC and then the very next day quotes the WAC commissioner and Lamar officials that no official contact has been made between the two.  To top that he puts a link to the latter on his facebook page and then says he hopes everyone will "calm down about this."

During his tenure at the Enterprise, sports coverage has been mediocre at best.  Only with the addition of seemingly hungrier reporters like Gina Mizell and Jared Ainsworth has the Enterprise seemed to have a bit better coverage lately.

This article is offensive and narrowminded. I'm not saying that because I am a disallusioned fan. I am not even a huge Lamar fan but I support them as long as they are not playing my school.

At least its not a rewritten press release from the athletics website like most of his articles seem to be

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1015043" timestamp="1306685551"]
I figured that some would call Coach's words unambitious.  I prefer to call it tempering enthusiasm with realism.

I love that football is back at Lamar, but let's not make this program something that it is not.  It is not a program that has a lot to offer a Top 20 FBS team for that team to come to Beaumont.  I'm not saying at some point that it won't.  But let's step back folks! At this point last year, a team from Lamar University had not played a football game in over 20 years.  You don't go from that to FBS ready in a year.  I don't care about UTSA or others....Lamar is not there yet!

I think of it as sort of a coup that in merely the 4th year of the revival of this program, Lamar will have managed to land on the schedule of a BCS conference team!  Of course, I harbor no illusions as to why they will be visiting Stillwater, Waco, College Station or even Honolulu for that matter.  It is for those schools to provide an opportunity for their fans, alumni and boosters to see their school kick the crap out of somebody.  I still remember when ULL (then USL) went on their barnstorming tour which lead them to Jordan-Hare Stadium where Bo Jackson literally ran the Ragin Cajuns back to downtown Lafayette.  They got exposure alright...an entire nation saying "Those poor, dumb bastards."

But think of it this way, those that support the A&Ms, the UTs or the LSUs.  Do you think that they flock to the games to see who has come to town? No.  They flock there to see their teams play whoever it is that comes to town.  That is why even when lil' Lamar University comes to town, Kyle Field will be filled to capacity.  Whenever Lamar has that sort of following, not a following drawn by the novelty of the program or a concert following (that is a following drawn by who happens to be in town for the weekend), then it will be ready to host FBS teams.
[/quote]Agreed  Lamar just like other small schools go play the big games for the payday.. There is no advantage for the big boys to come play here. I wish the Cards luck in the future.

Heck, schedule ULL, Rice, Houston, somebody of that caliber. I don't think anyone is saying bring in UT or someone like that. People would be happy with regional schools. I'll give LU another 3-5 years and then we'll see what the long term goal is. People talk about how UT, A&M, and LSU have people attend games no matter who they play. You can't compare those schools because thier alumni base is so huge compared to LU. I've been to A&M and LSU games where they played Mcneese and the stadium was half full. IMO, LU has to keep the fans interest or else you'll be losing out in attendance. That's REALITY!

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="1015069" timestamp="1306700444"]
Heck, schedule ULL, Rice, Houston, somebody of that caliber. [/quote]

I think many people missed the point because the article isn't well written.  Every FBS conference in the country (including the Sunbelt) has a rule which prohibits any of its members from scheduling a football game as an FCS home game.  No matter what Woodard would like to do, and no matter how much we would pay, neither UL-L, UL-M, Rice, or any other FBS program can schedule football games at FCS schools. It isn't allowed. You play them at their place or you don't play them at all. Period.

[quote name="birdbrain78" post="1015072" timestamp="1306703496"]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=84642.msg1015069#msg1015069 date=1306700444]
Heck, schedule ULL, Rice, Houston, somebody of that caliber. [/quote]

I think many people missed the point because the article isn't well written.  Every FBS conference in the country (including the Sunbelt) has a rule which prohibits any of its members from scheduling a football game as an FCS home game.  No matter what Woodard would like to do, and no matter how much we would pay, neither UL-L, UL-M, Rice, or any other FBS program can schedule football games at FCS schools. It isn't allowed. You play them at their place or you don't play them at all. Period.
[/quote]

BB is right on the money. It's not the pricetag, it's the fact that schools can't come here because they are FBS. Even if the rules wasn't in place, why would Houston come to PUS when they could bring in an FCS school and make more money?

The best thing to do is to bring in schools that people THINK are FBS, but aren't. A good one would have been Villanova (even though they're teetering on FBS into the Big East). But bring in a Harvard, Yale, App State, Delaware, etc. It'll cost Lamar a good chunk of change, but at least you're bringing in FCS schools and not NAIA and DII schools.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="1015088" timestamp="1306714346"]
[quote author=77 link=topic=84642.msg1015087#msg1015087 date=1306712326]
Winning puts people in the stands, give them time and a winning tradition and the bigger games will come. Only been a year.
[/quote]
True
[/quote]

To an extent.... People aren't going to keep showing up to watch Lamar beat up on NAIA and DII teams. You have to put at least FCS teams on the field.

Woodard gave an accurate assessment about certain fans on the two major Lamar boards... but we'll leave it for what it is.

[quote]"These people on the Internet who think it's going to happen, [b]they're living 30 years ago[/b]," Woodard said. "I'm sorry. Why would Baylor pass up millions of dollars to come here? It's just not going to happen. They need to let that go."[/quote]

Anyone who has a clue needs to realize that as some of you have said - a BCS team will not come to Lamar until it is an FBS team. There are the odd exceptions (Ball State is heading to Illinois State in the next few years).

Lamar will be able to get BCS teams when that move to FBS occurs, just like Texas St-San Marcos is set to do and even schools like ULM (Baylor coming up) and UL-Lafayette (Oklahoma State) have done.

You can not tell me that a FBS-level ULM can do something that a FBS-level Lamar can not do.

Dabe is so confused and off-base with his assessment. If he is going to write an article based on what UNLV has to say to get some attention, the Beaumont Enterprise really is stretching for content.

Bottom line, I feel Lamar will need to schedule better in the next few years. Langston and Texas College (I know that's not Lamars fault) are not going to cut it for years to come. They don't help Lamar get ready for good conference teams. I would like for them to play teams that are also at least FCS. Which I think Woodard will do in the next few years.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="1015094" timestamp="1306721300"]
Woodard gave an accurate assessment about certain fans on the two major Lamar boards... but we'll leave it for what it is.

[quote]"These people on the Internet who think it's going to happen, [b]they're living 30 years ago[/b]," Woodard said. "I'm sorry. Why would Baylor pass up millions of dollars to come here? It's just not going to happen. They need to let that go."[/quote]

Anyone who has a clue needs to realize that as some of you have said - a BCS team will not come to Lamar until it is an FBS team. There are the odd exceptions (Ball State is heading to Illinois State in the next few years).

Lamar will be able to get BCS teams when that move to FBS occurs, just like Texas St-San Marcos is set to do and even schools like ULM (Baylor coming up) and UL-Lafayette (Oklahoma State) have done.

You can not tell me that a FBS-level ULM can do something that a FBS-level Lamar can not do.

Dabe is so confused and off-base with his assessment. If he is going to write an article based on what UNLV has to say to get some attention, the Beaumont Enterprise really is stretching for content.
[/quote]I never said Lamar could bring in a FBS school while still FCS. I know the rule. One of my arguments for moving up to FBS was so that we can get FBS schools into Beaumont.
Nice try Terror. Everyone saw Terror trying to start Jerry Springer mess?  So SHSU like...

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="1015082" timestamp="1306709439"]
My fault for not knowing the rules, but I guess what I was getting at was LU needs to figure a way to get other teams that would keep fans in the stands. I still say if you continue with what your playing, that in 3 to 5 years you won't be getting 15k to games IMO.
[/quote]

maybe they schedule pote neches to keep your attention

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1015172" timestamp="1306770359"]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=84642.msg1015082#msg1015082 date=1306709439]
My fault for not knowing the rules, but I guess what I was getting at was LU needs to figure a way to get other teams that would keep fans in the stands. I still say if you continue with what your playing, that in 3 to 5 years you won't be getting 15k to games IMO.
[/quote]

maybe they schedule pote neches to keep your attention
[/quote]
Talk trash all you want to, I'm just speaking the truth. Love it or hate, I don't care. Why is it that you have to bring Port Neches into it? We probably do have the same attendance for our games as LU, and more in about 3-5 years ;D Blame the Boremont newspaper for bringing the topic up, and blame your coach for telling the fans to quit living in the past. Pretty arrogant statement to make to fans that are suppose to back the new program. You beg for millions to be donated just to have a sub par schedule? I think fans expect alot and fast. I still say I will wait 3-5 years and we'll see. I hope LU goes to the next level and competes. Maybe you can be the ball boy Puddin?

Lamar had a better than average 1st year program but one has to think about other schools wanting to have a decent schedule also and an upstart program is not always the best way to go so give them time and some wins and the schedule will improve.. jmo

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder