Will Knight be more involved....

Guest tamulonghorn

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="997043" timestamp="1302731170"]
[quote author=tamulonghorn link=topic=83117.msg997039#msg997039 date=1302731017]
with local high schools than past Lamar coaches?
[/quote]

Doubt it.
[/quote]

Not to make a stupid comment, but how would he be involved?

[quote name="AJ25" post="997142" timestamp="1302750934"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=83117.msg997043#msg997043 date=1302731170]
[quote author=tamulonghorn link=topic=83117.msg997039#msg997039 date=1302731017]
with local high schools than past Lamar coaches?
[/quote]

Doubt it.
[/quote]

Not to make a stupid comment, but how would he be involved?
[/quote]

That's what I was wondering too.

Guest tamulonghorn
hmmm....maybe you guys that had your negative responses ought to check out larry tidwell and see how he does business

he can probably tell you the name of every girls head coach in this area and has made a point to make contact with them

that is why he is so good at what he does he has got the pr down

i had coaches tell me that he would go to their clinic in san antonio every year and just hang out with the high school coaches and get to know them

pr is a huge part of the college world especially when you are taking over a down program

[quote name="tamulonghorn" post="997243" timestamp="1302791411"]
hmmm....maybe you guys that had your negative responses ought to check out larry tidwell and see how he does business

he can probably tell you the name of every girls head coach in this area and has made a point to make contact with them

i had coaches tell me that he would go to their clinic in san antonio every year and just hang out with the high school coaches and get to know them

pr is a huge part of the college world especially when you are taking over a down program
[/quote]I agree with what you are saying. But you're not going to win dependent upon local talent in this area. Sure its good PR and it looks good to see the coach sitting in the stands.

Guest speechless
I would be willing to bet you could piece together a pretty good Southland team based on talent in this area...just look at the history...maybe down a little right now but this area has produced plenty of talent

[quote name="speechless" post="997282" timestamp="1302794455"]
I would be willing to bet you could piece together a pretty good Southland team based on talent in this area...just look at the history...maybe down a little right now but this area has produced plenty of talent
[/quote]I'm only speaking of the present, not the past ;)

we just don't have enough top notch players in the area to really worry about being in great with local players to make sure guys stay close to home. Football is different. But not basketball. How many D1 players went off these last few years? I can only think of 1 and I'm not sure we even tried go recruit him.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="997270" timestamp="1302793524"]
[quote author=tamulonghorn link=topic=83117.msg997243#msg997243 date=1302791411]

[/quote]I agree with what you are saying. But you're not going to win dependent upon local talent in this area. Sure its good PR and it looks good to see the coach sitting in the stands.
[/quote]

Ever hear of a guy named James Gulley from Newton?  I would also suggest that the last 5 years proves that bringing in the mystery player from "afar" certainly hasnt been the answer either.

[quote name="stevenash" post="997300" timestamp="1302796734"]Ever hear of a guy named James Gulley from Newton?  I would also suggest that the last 5 years proves that bringing in the mystery player from "afar" certainly hasnt been the answer either.
[/quote]
How long ago was that? Who in the last 20 years has come outta the GT that LU could have gotten that was a star somewhere else?
The Hancocks were nice players, but not must have players. If PK is going to be successful he is going to have to recruit Houston and DFW hard.

[quote name="badndn" post="997468" timestamp="1302817392"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=83117.msg997300#msg997300 date=1302796734]Ever hear of a guy named James Gulley from Newton?  I would also suggest that the last 5 years proves that bringing in the mystery player from "afar" certainly hasnt been the answer either.
[/quote]
How long ago was that? Who in the last 20 years has come outta the GT that LU could have gotten that was a star somewhere else?
The Hancocks were nice players, but not must have players. If PK is going to be successful he is going to have to recruit Houston and DFW hard.
[/quote]

Yes, the Hancocks were "nice" players.  My point is that Lamar has brought in people from far away that were no better than the Hancocks.  Would it make sense that, if you have two players of similar abilities and one of them is from the area, that Lamar might generate a little more local interest/attendance having some of them?

Guest speechless
Fobbs and the Hancocks were NOT recruited by Lamar

Who was the guy from Central that came back to haunt us?  He ended up at McNeese

We have been recruiting Houston and DFW...what has that gotten us?

[quote name="speechless" post="997622" timestamp="1302872117"]
Fobbs and the Hancocks were NOT recruited by Lamar

Who was the guy from Central that came back to haunt us?  He ended up at McNeese

We have been recruiting Houston and DFW...what has that gotten us?
[/quote]

There are two members of LU's team that are from the Houston area... One of which just graduated and the other will be a Senior. That is all. I wouldn't say that is "recruiting" an area.

Guest speechless
so because if you recruit an area then you sign a bunch from that area automatically?

Lamar has always recruited the "big city" heavily in pursuit of players that are unlikely to come to Lamar because they are a higher caliber player...you have a better chance of signing a higher caliber player coming out of your hometown than you do one from the big city...at least when you are in the position that Lamar has been in

someone mentioned something about how long ago James Gulley and all that was....it was the last time Lamar won on a consistent basis just to answer your question

Again I ask you, who has come out of this area since Gulley that had his skill set and was not being recruited by UT, OU, or the NBA?

You can say all you want, but LU is not going to win a recruiting batle with any of those programs for local talent!
We signed the Hardeman (I think that was his name) kid from Silsbee a few years back and he bolted after one good freshman season for Tennessee!

Bose - NSU - Australia
Clavell - SHSU - Puerto Rico
Pratt - NWS - NY, NY
Gibson - UTSA - Houston
P.Richard - MSU - Carencro, LA
Kaplan - MSU - Canada
Baker - NWS - NY, NY
Watt - AMCC - Chicago
M.Johnson - UTSA - Dallas
J. Hill - UTSA - Australia

This is the list of the top scorers in the league this year. Notice they are all from "afar". Not one home grown talent. Richard would be the closest as Carencro is about 70 miles from LC. UTSA wins the conference and go check their roster, not a lot of kids from SA which has a much larger market than the GT.

[quote name="badndn" post="997746" timestamp="1302886272"]
Again I ask you, who has come out of this area since Gulley that had his skill set and was not being recruited by UT, OU, or the NBA?

You can say all you want, but LU is not going to win a recruiting batle with any of those programs for local talent!
We signed the Hardeman (I think that was his name) kid from Silsbee a few years back and he bolted after one good freshman season for Tennessee!

Bose - NSU - Australia
Clavell - SHSU - Puerto Rico
Pratt - NWS - NY, NY
Gibson - UTSA - Houston
P.Richard - MSU - Carencro, LA
Kaplan - MSU - Canada
Baker - NWS - NY, NY
Watt - AMCC - Chicago
M.Johnson - UTSA - Dallas
J. Hill - UTSA - Australia

This is the list of the top scorers in the league this year. Notice they are all from "afar". Not one home grown talent. Richard would be the closest as Carencro is about 70 miles from LC. UTSA wins the conference and go check their roster, not a lot of kids from SA which has a much larger market than the GT.
[/quote]

Great, logical post.... They actually DO exist!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    voodoopriestonline
    Newest Member
    voodoopriestonline