Will Knight be more involved....

Guest tamulonghorn

[quote name="badndn" post="997746" timestamp="1302886272"]
Again I ask you, who has come out of this area since Gulley that had his skill set and was not being recruited by UT, OU, or the NBA?

You can say all you want, but LU is not going to win a recruiting batle with any of those programs for local talent!
We signed the Hardeman (I think that was his name) kid from Silsbee a few years back and he bolted after one good freshman season for Tennessee!

Bose - NSU - Australia
Clavell - SHSU - Puerto Rico
Pratt - NWS - NY, NY
Gibson - UTSA - Houston
P.Richard - MSU - Carencro, LA
Kaplan - MSU - Canada
Baker - NWS - NY, NY
Watt - AMCC - Chicago
M.Johnson - UTSA - Dallas
J. Hill - UTSA - Australia

This is the list of the top scorers in the league this year. Notice they are all from "afar". Not one home grown talent. Richard would be the closest as Carencro is about 70 miles from LC. UTSA wins the conference and go check their roster, not a lot of kids from SA which has a much larger market than the GT.
[/quote]

No one is saying that every player on the team is going to come locally buddy.  However, when you have one or two local guys on the team it helps support.  I can tell you when Kenyon Spears(who ended up being a very solid player for Lamar) cam to Lamar from HJ there were several people who became interested in Lamar Basketball who otherwise would not have been.  Also, our teams have been total crap for several years and when the likes of  Edward Garriet, Eddie Fobbs,  and the hancocks come back to their hometown and beat the local college while playing for another team withing the same conference it makes me sick.  

[quote name="badndn" post="997746" timestamp="1302886272"]
Again I ask you, who has come out of this area since Gulley that had his skill set and was not being recruited by UT, OU, or the NBA?

You can say all you want, but LU is not going to win a recruiting batle with any of those programs for local talent!
We signed the Hardeman (I think that was his name) kid from Silsbee a few years back and he bolted after one good freshman season for Tennessee!

Bose - NSU - Australia
Clavell - SHSU - Puerto Rico
Pratt - NWS - NY, NY
Gibson - UTSA - Houston
P.Richard - MSU - Carencro, LA
Kaplan - MSU - Canada
Baker - NWS - NY, NY
Watt - AMCC - Chicago
M.Johnson - UTSA - Dallas
J. Hill - UTSA - Australia

This is the list of the top scorers in the league this year. Notice they are all from "afar". Not one home grown talent. Richard would be the closest as Carencro is about 70 miles from LC. UTSA wins the conference and go check their roster, not a lot of kids from SA which has a much larger market than the GT.
[/quote]

The player from Silsbee that you are referring to was Thaydeous Holden. It was my understanding he left Lamar to get away from this area due to him hanging with the wrong crowd. He ended up at University of Tennessee and played well there.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="997774" timestamp="1302888272"]
We also have another local player (Silsbee player) who is being recruited by McNeese, SFA, and a couple of other SLC schools, but not Lamar.
[/quote]Maybe Knight will reconsider. Historically, most of your local talent trying to play at other schools. Waitng to see what magical offers are out there for them.

Obviously we cannot fill up the roster with local players.  Once again, I ask all of you naysayers, how many "special" players have there been at Lamar in recent history?  If player A is from Mississippi and player B is from, lets say, Diboll or Jasper, and they have comparable abilities, why does everyone always get so impressed with acquiring the guy from Mississippi?  I haven't seen anything on their roster in recent years that suggests that some other geographical area produces superior players who are willing to play at Lamars level.  When Gulley was taken at Lamar, we heard the same old tired comments:  He is from a small school and therefore can't play with the "big boys"  Mr. Gulley gave Karl Malone all he could handle.

Keep in mind coach Knight only has 1 scholarship available this year. Also we have recruited several local kids. Kenyon Spears, Darius Harris, John Mertz, Brandon Chappelle, and Ashton Hall just the ones that immediately come to mind. We aren't going to get everyone. And who knows if Lamar has a lower evaluation of some of these players than other schools.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476