Cross A Potential Candidate For LU Job

I have no reasoning behind this but would love to see this kid get a shot.  I don't know why but I have a good feeling about him.  It would be totally different from what Lamar has done in the past.  That would be a good thing in its self.

People were throwing out big names for the football HC position and Lamar hired Woodard.  I bet they do the same for Cross.  I'd be for it.  Lamar's not going to pay big bucks for a name coach anyway unless they hire some over the hill retread that goes through the motions.  At least everyone seems to agree the Cross knows how to coach.

[quote name="UNLV" post="986666" timestamp="1300804414"]
http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/02/08/2011-college-basketball-coaching-changes-potential-candidates/

[/quote]

Thanks for the link. I had not idea so many schools were looking for a new coach, but thats the life of being a coach.
I noticed on the home page of link there is mention of Lamar and WAC expansion, how ever it may be dated. 

[quote name="coachacola" post="986669" timestamp="1300804982"]
People were throwing out big names for the football HC position and Lamar hired Woodard.  I bet they do the same for Cross.  I'd be for it.  Lamar's not going to pay big bucks for a name coach anyway unless they hire some over the hill retread that goes through the motions.  At least everyone seems to agree the Cross knows how to coach.
[/quote]

I just think it would be a totally out of the box move for this university.  My first choice remains Glyn Ciprien but if we cannot hire him than I am all for Matt Cross.

[b]"Many think Cross, now 27, should be the next coach at Lamar University, [size=12pt][color=red]a struggling Division I program [/color] [/size] in the Southland Conference."[/b]

Quote from the Bmt Enterprise!

My my how we have fallen!!!  When I went and looked at the list on the link to the sports info website we only had 3 candidates listed.  Florida Gulf Coast, a program I have never heard of had about 20-25 and there were some very recognizable names on it.  10-15 years ago we would have been attracting that kind of interest but after 20+ years of bad hires and a revolving door, we have fallen on hard times in attracting a large selection of quality candidates.  We don't have may more chances to get this right.  I hope Dr. Simmons and Tidwell understand this.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="986728" timestamp="1300811674"]
[b]"Many think Cross, now 27, should be the next coach at Lamar University, [size=12pt][color=red]a struggling Division I program [/color] [/size] in the Southland Conference."[/b]

Quote from the Bmt Enterprise!

My my how we have fallen!!!  When I went and looked at the list on the link to the sports info website we only had 3 candidates listed.  Florida Gulf Coast, a program I have never heard of had about 20-25 and there were some very recognizable names on it.  10-15 years ago we would have been attracting that kind of interest but after 20+ years of bad hires and a revolving door, we have fallen on hard times in attracting a large selection of quality candidates.  We don't have may more chances to get this right.  I hope Dr. Simmons and Tidwell understand this.

[/quote]

They only list three because those are the only ones that they know of and it is total speculation.  There is ALOT of interest in this job and you can believe that.

[quote name="KingSnake" post="987330" timestamp="1300890820"]
Update on coaching applicants from PA News.      I hope they aren't really interested in Pat Knight.  There are a few encouraging applicants on the list.

http://panews.com/sports/x449500653/Pat-Knight-biggest-name-eying-Lamar
[/quote]

I hate to tell you but this is not a list of who's who of available applicants.  Cross is good and maybe skelton and Cyprien are good, but when you look at the other jobs open you see all the real top flight assistants are on their lists and they are not on LU's.  20 years ago a lot of those guys would have been pursuing the Cardinal job.  Look at the records of the guys who have had head D-1 coaching experience.  What does that tell you?  Steve Green has a really good record and I remember him on Foster's staff.  I wonder why he has not gotten a  4 year head coach job yet.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="987355" timestamp="1300893207"]
[quote author=KingSnake link=topic=82077.msg987330#msg987330 date=1300890820]
Update on coaching applicants from PA News.      I hope they aren't really interested in Pat Knight.  There are a few encouraging applicants on the list.

[/quote]

I hate to tell you but this is not a list of who's who of available applicants.  Cross is good and maybe skelton and Cyprien are good, but when you look at the other jobs open you see all the real top flight assistants are on their lists and they are not on LU's.  20 years ago a lot of those guys would have been pursuing the Cardinal job.  Look at the records of the guys who have had head D-1 coaching experience.  What does that tell you?  Steve Green has a really good record and I remember him on Foster's staff.  I wonder why he has not gotten a  4 year head coach job yet.
[/quote]

20 years ago???  Do you remember the guys we have hired for the last 20 years.  They have not been top flight assistants.  Tubbs and Foster are the only two coaches with real success from Lamar and neither were big names when they got the job nor have we ever had big names apply.  It is a fact of life.

[quote name="sleepy" post="987368" timestamp="1300894918"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=82077.msg987355#msg987355 date=1300893207]

[/quote]

[/quote]

20 years ago???  Do you remember the guys we have hired for the last 20 years.  They have not been top flight assistants.  Tubbs and Foster are the only two coaches with real success from Lamar and neither were big names when they got the job nor have we ever had big names apply.  It is a fact of life.
[/quote]

If you remember right, Abatemarco was maybe the top name assistant in the country when we hired him over Del Harris.  Just didn't know he was a flake.  Newell also had a very good name as an assistant to Tubbs at OU and then a good record as a HC at UALR.  After that, the quality has gone down.  That is a fact!!!!

So we have a guy in Pat Knight who is fresh of a stint at one of the Largest institutions in Texas interested.  Rodney Terry the top assistant at Texas interested.  Glen Cyprien who is one of the top assistants in the country.  These guys are every bit as big named as anyone we have ever hired.  That is my point.

[quote name="sleepy" post="987399" timestamp="1300898473"]
So we have a guy in Pat Knight who is fresh of a stint at one of the Largest institutions in Texas interested.  Rodney Terry the top assistant at Texas interested.  Glen Cyprien who is one of the top assistants in the country.  These guys are every bit as big named as anyone we have ever hired.  That is my point.
[/quote]

Terry's name is not on the list that is circulating on the board today so is he really interested?  There are 2 former LU players, one a head coach of a DII school in OK I think and another who is an assisstant at Bradley that deserve a look at least, especially in light of what we know we have attracted so far.  Steve Green has a great record in JUCO and he was on Pat Foster's staff.  Don't know why he has not attracted any 4 year school jobs.  I think I remember that he came accross as being a kind of quiet guy, so maybe he doesn't interview well.

Correction:  1 fomer LU player who is an assitant at Bradley and a former OU player for Tubbs who is at Central Ok.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="987377" timestamp="1300896177"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=82077.msg987368#msg987368 date=1300894918]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=82077.msg987355#msg987355 date=1300893207]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you remember right, Abatemarco was maybe the top name assistant in the country when we hired him over Del Harris.  Just didn't know he was a flake.  Newell also had a very good name as an assistant to Tubbs at OU and then a good record as a HC at UALR.  After that, the quality has gone down.  That is a fact!!!!
[/quote]Newell was happy to come because he knew UALR was about to fire him.

Cross, I know this guy is young but hey, he can coach and players respond to him. That is just what Lamar needs. I have went and watched him this season and I have watched Lamar also and this guy is the fit to bring our program up and continue to move up. I hope they give him a good look. If we do not get him someone else will get him. 

They will give Cross a look but Lamar is looking for someone that has been around a little longer. This is not saying that being young means he can't coach, its just the mindset with the powers that be. Lamar will bring in about six of these applicants for a look over. Alvin Brooks was on Campus yesterday. I do like the scenario of bringing Cross in the family as a bench assistant to the next head caoch for some more seasoning. Another thing to consider there is not a whole lot of money to throw at these guys and we are still paying Roc.

[quote name="BadMedicine" post="988378" timestamp="1301097585"]
Brad Stevens, coach at Butler, was probably the youngest D1 coach (29 I think) when he got that job.  He's worked out nicely for them.
[/quote]I'm all for giving Cross a shot but I don't see it happening right now...not enough votes in the room for him today but that can change. Lets see what transpire over the next two weeks. This could get interesting.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder