Saltwater

vhs

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Went to Rollover monday a.m @ daybreak water muddy east wind 15 and gusting and tide way out.Not a soul fishing but 1 tent set up w/generator and floodlights from the night before.Left and drove down to Bolivar near the ferry landing and threw arty's catching 3 flounder on limetreuse shad assassins.Only 1 of those a 15" legal fish.Saw some reds tailing out of casting range of a 6" spook while almost spooling my curado to reach them.Did not dare try wading as that area is real close to the channel and the wash from all the ship traffic was very strong.Actually saw the water being pulled out of 2 big steel pipes bout 10' in diameter below a damaged bridge when the tide was coming into this small cut.Took the ferry to galveston where the water was greener but saw very little action on the rock groins and the 61st st.pier looking thru bino's.Decided just wasn't a day for fishing so shopping I went looking for those hard to find corkies.

fished a couple of hours in keith lake tonight, caught 10-12 specs, 4 keepers, one nice 20-incher that weighed a tad over 3 1/2 lbs, and one nice 18-inch flounder.  we put back in under the bridge on the intercoastal and tried the lights, but only caught one more small one, with nothing really moving.

[quote name="bullets13" post="991977" timestamp="1301717286"]
fished a couple of hours in keith lake tonight, caught 10-12 specs, 4 keepers, one nice 20-incher that weighed a tad over 3 1/2 lbs, and one nice 18-inch flounder.  we put back in under the bridge on the intercoastal and tried the lights, but only caught one more small one, with nothing really moving.
[/quote]

Moving upstream early this year. Last year we started catching them on the docks early though and they disappeared late. Maybe this year will be the same.

[quote name="tvc184" post="992005" timestamp="1301723562"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=82035.msg991977#msg991977 date=1301717286]
[/quote]

Moving upstream early this year. Last year we started catching them on the docks early though and they disappeared late. Maybe this year will be the same.
[/quote]

let me know when you're up for a trip.

[quote name="bullets13" post="992044" timestamp="1301753906"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=82035.msg992005#msg992005 date=1301723562]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=82035.msg991977#msg991977 date=1301717286]
[/quote]

[/quote]

let me know when you're up for a trip.
[/quote]

I can probably get you in on some this year since it will be earlier.

Seems this time of year it's hit or miss.Saturday some friends had good success on reds,specks,flounder fishing out of Ft.Anahuac park near the mouth and up river in the numerous bayou's.Sunday we went there and saw my friends fishing along w/30 other scattered boats and fish were scarce for everybody.My only good strike came on a live shrimp freelined in 7' of water in long island bayou but after a tug of war the big fish straightened out the snap on a 45# walmart(China)blk.steel leader.Live shrimp are scarce @bait camps and the few on hand are very lg.gulf shrimp(eating size)but was only able to buy a pint of live@$9.00 >:(

[quote name="GoPirates" post="993905" timestamp="1302110628"]
Is the fishing under the lights at the ft. Anahuac park pier any good?
[/quote]

I  can't speak for Anahuac, but last weekend the fish weren't really active under the lights yet on the intercoastal canal.

Anahuac Park pier can get hot any time now.Fished there alot @ night under those lights in the past before and have had good success on flounder w/a speck now and then.Sunday there was virtually no bait to be caught in a 5' cast net before launching the boat.And they've built a brand new short pier w/a T-head just a short distance past the boat ramps on the same side as the old one but it's not lighted.Depthfinder showed some 8' water depth just a short casting distance out past the t-head ;)

• 2 weeks later...
went out to keith lake again tonight and caught 8 specks with 4 keepers in about an hour and a half.  there was no wind, but the water was pretty dirty.  about 7 the wind picked up and the water got awful. took out and put back in on the intercoastal, but nothing was doing under the lights.

[quote name="bullets13" post="998634" timestamp="1303016178"]
went out to keith lake again tonight and caught 8 specks with 4 keepers in about an hour and a half.  there was no wind, but the water was pretty dirty.  about 7 the wind picked up and the water got awful. took out and put back in on the intercoastal, but nothing was doing under the lights.
[/quote]

I might go check the docks tonight and see if anything is moving. Still might be a bit early yet.

[quote name="tvc184" post="998641" timestamp="1303017207"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=82035.msg998634#msg998634 date=1303016178]
[/quote]

I might go check the docks tonight and see if anything is moving. Still might be a bit early yet.
[/quote]

nothing moving last night.

• 2 weeks later...
Fished rollover yesterday and a few nice reds and blk.drum were landed in the evening and a few trout after dark until the tide changed to high and the water cleared @ 11:00 pm then fishing got alot better as the wee hrs before daylight I prolly caught 50 trout retaining a limit of 10 specks to 4 lbs.add in about 20 nice sand trout.I fished w/glow plastics under 2-1,000 watt stage lights and my 3 friends from Baytown limited out on specks w/a cpl.nice reds fishing the edges of my lights.It was a tuff drive home yawning @ 6:30 this morning and we left them biting.Surf was not flat but wadeable w/sandy green water.

[quote name="liltex" post="1003953" timestamp="1304131924"]
Fished rollover yesterday and a few nice reds and blk.drum were landed in the evening and a few trout after dark until the tide changed to high and the water cleared @ 11:00 pm then fishing got alot better as the wee hrs before daylight I prolly caught 50 trout retaining a limit of 10 specks to 4 lbs.add in about 20 nice sand trout.I fished w/glow plastics under 2-1,000 watt stage lights and my 3 friends from Baytown limited out on specks w/a cpl.nice reds fishing the edges of my lights.It was a tuff drive home yawning @ 6:30 this morning and we left them biting.Surf was not flat but wadeable w/sandy green water.
[/quote]

which side were ya'll fishing?  we never catch anything out there.

Bay side -west bank about 30 yds north of the bridge.I hear ya as alot of times it's hit n miss but when it's on it's great.Anyday now the surf should be filling up w/shrimp near shore and the trout will push them in shallow water then run in and grab a mouthful.Last yr. a good friend went wade fishing and w/his 1st cast w/cast net for bait up came about 1 qt.of jumbo shrimp near the old High Island pier.What a day w/limit of both trout n shrimp very quickly.Keep a close eye on the shallow shrimp boats soon then it's on.

• 3 weeks later...
spent about 2 1/2 hours at keith lake last night.  it was very windy, but the water wasn't too muddy.  we caught 7 specks between 17-19 inches, and another at 22 inches, and 3 flounder between 16-18 inches.  every speck we caught was a keeper.  we also caught 3 more flounder around 12 inches and 2 rat reds.  all in all, a pretty good trip.  the weird thing was the flounder were hitting harder than the specks.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder