Next BB Coach

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="984284" timestamp="1300374781"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=81827.msg984278#msg984278 date=1300374285]
Are these guys being told that they'll be coaching in the WAC soon?
[/quote]

You are on to something there, coach.

The carrot is getting bigger as we speak. ;)
[/quote]This is getting interesting

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="sleepy" post="984331" timestamp="1300380281"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=81827.msg984304#msg984304 date=1300377461]
Wait till the recruits see Dupont behind the Montagne Center :(
[/quote]

Better yet we should bring the recruits through the heart of Hamshire.  That will really sell em ;D
[/quote]

whole lot better than kansas in winter time..........always tried to figure how they get southern kids to some of these places....$$$ i guess

[quote name="stevenash" post="984415" timestamp="1300390394"]
It might be smart not to get too excited and anticipate too much.  Keep in mind that Lamar passed on both Del Harris and Tim Floyd.
[/quote]

I got that Heinz ketchup commercial going on in my head now.

"Anticipation, anticipation, it's making me wait"

I wonder how much Carly Simon got paid for that gig?

[quote name="stevenash" post="984415" timestamp="1300390394"]
It might be smart not to get too excited and anticipate too much.  Keep in mind that Lamar passed on both Del Harris and Tim Floyd.
[/quote]

That was under different administration though.

You were just a kid when that happened Stevenash  :D.

Don Bubba Skelton is the best guy for this LU job. He knows this league and was technically the head coach when LU were co champs in 2008. The biggest mistake Roc made was letting him go, i talked to some former players that played here when he was here and after he left, they said that they knew there was trouble when Bubba left coz he introduced all the plays and made substitutions for Roc. I believe he is the best guy for LU. We need someone who wants to stay in Beaumont for a while and not someone who will leave after 2 yrs, and use us as a stepping stone. Wake up people!!!

[quote name="biglubaby" post="984432" timestamp="1300391908"]
Don Bubba Skelton is the best guy for this LU job. He knows this league and was technically the head coach when LU were co champs in 2008. The biggest mistake Roc made was letting him go, i talked to some former players that played here when he was here and after he left, they said that they knew there was trouble when Bubba left coz he introduced all the plays and made substitutions for Roc. I believe he is the best guy for LU. We need someone who wants to stay in Beaumont for a while and not someone who will leave after 2 yrs, and use us as a stepping stone. Wake up people!!!
[/quote]

There is a reason Bubba Skelton is in Miss. That's where he wants to be. Not sure being the head coach at LU would change his mind.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="984437" timestamp="1300392243"]
[quote author=biglubaby link=topic=81827.msg984432#msg984432 date=1300391908]
[/quote]

There is a reason Bubba Skelton is in Miss. That's where he wants to be. Not sure being the head coach at LU would change his mind.
[/quote]

There is a good possibility that nobody will be here more than five years.  If the coach does real well, he will use this as a stepping stone.  If he does poorly, he will meet the same fate that Mr. Roccaforte did.

As far as Skelton goes, money talks! Staying in Beaumont for $50K as an assitant versus $150K as a D1 Head Coach are to totaly different animals.  I would guess Jones Community College is paying him between $50K and $75K.

Also the fact is LU is a stepping stone school. I dont care who you are. Had Roc lit it up at LU he would have been gone the first time the chance to make $500K - $1 Mil per at a bigger program. And LU was his dream job.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="984689" timestamp="1300418064"]
And there lies the problem, if a coach thinks LU is a stepping stone, can you imagine what the recruits are thinking.
[/quote]

90% of teams in D1 are stepping stones so that's nothing unique to Lamar.  The key is making Lamar a program that keeps attracting the up and coming coaches.  That's what they had in the 80's so now they have to rebuild back up to that.

[quote name="coachacola" post="984712" timestamp="1300421068"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=81827.msg984689#msg984689 date=1300418064]
And there lies the problem, if a coach thinks LU is a stepping stone, can you imagine what the recruits are thinking.
[/quote]

90% of teams in D1 are stepping stones so that's nothing unique to Lamar.  The key is making Lamar a program that keeps attracting the up and coming coaches.  That's what they had in the 80's so now they have to rebuild back up to that.
[/quote]80'S? Do you realize how long ago that was? Different times and different rules.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="984713" timestamp="1300421227"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=81827.msg984712#msg984712 date=1300421068]
[/quote]

[/quote]80'S? Do you realize how long ago that was? Different times and different rules.
[/quote]

And the times and rules have gotten progressively worse.  It is now harder for a smaller program to do what LU did back in the late 70's early 80's.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="984815" timestamp="1300456641"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=81827.msg984713#msg984713 date=1300421227]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=81827.msg984712#msg984712 date=1300421068]
[/quote]

[/quote]

And the times and rules have gotten progressively worse.  It is now harder for a smaller program to do what LU did back in the late 70's early 80's.
[/quote]You are so correct.

I do realize all of that.  But I don't see Lamar joining a power conference anytime soon so they will never be place where a good coach will stay for a long time.  I'm sure Lamar can find a coach that can win 20 games a year against easy competition and make it to the NCAA tourney every 3 or 4 years only to get blown out in the first round.  What's Tidwell to do?  Find a hot young coach that will bring instant success then leave in 3 or 4 years or bring in an older "name" coach that will stick around and win 20 games a year but not really win any "big" games.  I prefer the high risk/high reward option of a young coach.

[quote name="KingSnake" post="984693" timestamp="1300418553"]
Has anybody noticed what Matt Cross did today?
[/quote]
Lamar should look at this young man very hard. He could be just what they need. He has done a great job at Lamar P.A. I like his coaching style. WINNING   

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Drugsstore0
    Newest Member
    Drugsstore0