What Qualities Needed For The New Hamshire Fannett Basketball Coach ?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just find it funny ,that HJ, Silsbee, WOS all have a basketball class for kids that dont play football. So when school starts, their basketball players are in the gym. And once the season is over their still in the gym. HF has UOS and came in 4 in the dist behind those 3 schools. ::)

how do they deal with kids that do both?
On Lifting Weights......
4 Days a week lifting – off season They test body fat VERY IMPORTANT is the weight program “One of the most important thing is to be stronger than the other guy”
I love practice and love to play, if you don’t you are probably not going to get better. To be a better player you must get stronger.
We lift year round. We chart the players on the weights. Bench, reps, lungs etc. Many people are keeping the kids accountable. I would make less money and pay the weight coach to have a better weight program.
the above  is from Don Meyer

[quote name="dribblemonkey" post="993465" timestamp="1302053300"]
On Lifting Weights......
4 Days a week lifting – off season They test body fat VERY IMPORTANT is the weight program “One of the most important thing is to be stronger than the other guy”
I love practice and love to play, if you don’t you are probably not going to get better. To be a better player you must get stronger.
We lift year round. We chart the players on the weights. Bench, reps, lungs etc. Many people are keeping the kids accountable. I would make less money and pay the weight coach to have a better weight program.
the above  is from Don Meyer
[/quote]

Time is limited in high school.  " To be a better player, you must be stronger"?  That might be true if your skills are adequate.  But if you sacrifice skill development time in order to get "stronger" you wont get better.  Looks to me like Kevin Durant is a very good player.

[quote name="stevenash" post="993676" timestamp="1302087039"]
[quote author=dribblemonkey link=topic=81494.msg993465#msg993465 date=1302053300]
On Lifting Weights......
the above  is from Don Meyer
[/quote]

Time is limited in high school.  " To be a better player, you must be stronger"?  That might be true if your skills are adequate.  But if you sacrifice skill development time in order to get "stronger" you wont get better.  Looks to me like Kevin Durant is a very good player.
[/quote]Stevie, you have pointed out a major problem  :-X's program. Weight lifting nor cross country makes a difference if you don't have the skill set to produce to be a winner. So the question remains, do you want stronger players or more skilled players? In my opinion, give me a skinny kid in high school who knows how to dribble, score and defend versus a strong kid who can't hold his own *weight*. ;)

[quote name="Hurley" post="993749" timestamp="1302097815"]
I'm pretty sure there are no Kevin Durants wandering the halls of any area school.  Comparing Durant to these high school kids is unfair. 
[/quote]Most players of Durant's ability were all unknown at one time. All the greats end up having a break out season. I'm like you, I don't see it right now myself, but you never know.

[quote name="dribblemonkey" post="993781" timestamp="1302099615"]
Juat wondering is there a time limit for open gym after school and on weekends where the true gym-rat can develop said skills?
[/quote]At HF, it seems to be about 5:30. Now how many of hose kids are using the gym, I dunno.

Guest speechless
i have seen open gym be as ineffective as it can be effective

just because they are in the gym doesn't mean they are getting better

quality over quantity

that is why it is important for them to be in the gym with the coach during the period in the off-season

that one hour of structured work is much more productive than 2 hours of half hearted playing and you know they aren't splitting up on their own to do individual shooting, ball handling, etc.

[quote name="speechless" post="993831" timestamp="1302103511"]
i have seen open gym be as ineffective as it can be effective

just because they are in the gym doesn't mean they are getting better

quality over quantity

that is why it is important for them to be in the gym with the coach during the period in the off-season

that one hour of structured work is much more productive than 2 hours of half hearted playing and you know they aren't splitting up on their own to do individual shooting, ball handling, etc.
[/quote]You're right about this

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="993295" timestamp="1302042147"]
I can't wait to see who they get.  BTW I think Richards did cross country.  Ironic isn't it?  So you don't coach football but you still can't have your kids before the season starts.
[/quote]Why is it that you can't wait? Are you feeling that HF will be the same even with the changes?

[quote name="stevenash" post="996244" timestamp="1302621203"]
[quote author=Malcolm X link=topic=81494.msg996232#msg996232 date=1302620241]
It's amazing how I knew this a month ago ;D
[/quote]

Yes it is- particularly when the people who hired him did not know it then.
[/quote]Nash im sure you already know how I knew. And I guarantee you that H.F. been knew he was their guy. I can tell you now that Dove 2 boys had alot to do with him accepting the job. That's what the hold up was about ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder