Nederland vs. Humble Game Thread/NEDERLAND WINS!!!

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="975951" timestamp="1299121592"]
Ned hasn't played Ball yet. Ball won the Ned tourney but they never played.
[/quote]Ok.  Your right.  I knew it was a good team that gave Ball everything they could handle.  It was Silsbee.  I was thinking of nederland...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="975960" timestamp="1299121841"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=81158.msg975925#msg975925 date=1299120889]
Them 'dogs, them dogs, them dogs.  What can I say?  I'm SOO impressed with the Never give up Dogs.   They REFUSED to go away.  Now this team from 20-4a is advancing to the regionals against a team they have played and hung with earlier in the season.  Bulldog nation is going bananas!  I LOVE IT! Major congrads from this Jag fan!
[/quote]

Can't believe upicked them to lose Soulja-U disappointed me ;)
[/quote]I tell you one thing.  It will be VERY difficult to pick against this team.  They're deep in these playoffs and they are for real.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="976144" timestamp="1299131821"]
At this point, ANY of the 16 teams can win state. Takes a lot of good and a lot of luck to bring home the trophy. Nederland has been the underdog most of the yr. They've surprised (just about) everyone! The most talented team does not always win!
*See Duke Nat'l Champs over UNLV in 1991?*
[/quote]

I agree wth everything except the asterisk.  That Duke team played in 3 straight National Championship games including back-to-back titles in 91 and 92.  I will concede that everyone expected UNLV to win after what the did to Duke in the 90 national championship, but I cant concede that Duke wasnt just as talented as UNLV was when they met in the final four in 91.  

[quote name="GoBigBlue1997" post="976176" timestamp="1299155754"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=81158.msg976144#msg976144 date=1299131821]
At this point, ANY of the 16 teams can win state. Takes a lot of good and a lot of luck to bring home the trophy. Nederland has been the underdog most of the yr. They've surprised (just about) everyone! The most talented team does not always win!
*See Duke Nat'l Champs over UNLV in 1991?*
[/quote]

I agree wth everything except the asterisk.  That Duke team played in 3 straight National Championship games including back-to-back titles in 91 and 92.  I will concede that everyone expected UNLV to win after what the did to Duke in the 90 national championship, but I cant concede that Duke wasnt just as talented as UNLV was when they met in the final four in 91.  
[/quote]Ok, then that's easy.  Change Duke./UNLV with Univ. of Houston and NC State  or Villanova and Georgetown.

I would word it a little different.....I do think the most talented team usually wins with the operative word being team....but many times the team with the most talented players does lose when it gets to the playoffs because they have won with individual play instead of playing as a team.  The deeper you go the more important team play becomes. 
Nederland has had great team play all year.....many teams(including the 2008-09 Nederland Team) with more than one "star" player have egos get in the way....Smith, Forney, and Cunningham have matured and checked their egos for the good of the team playing unselfishly....Role players have accepted and done their jobs: Wagner stopping opposing guards with his tenacious defensive; Mitchell is the best true point guard Nederland has had in many years at distributing the ball;  The defensive and rebounding of Weisbrod(scoring as well) and Pitts off the bench has bought valuable rest for Smith and Forney;  Scoring of English and Fontenot off the bench;  has made this a complete team.  It's a tribute to Coach English's abilities. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder