Coach Of The Year In SE Texas?

Coach Morgan because he turned a 0-9 football team to a team about to be in the playoffs. sure everyone can say only cause we droped down to 2a but last year we had 400 kids in our hs and we were goin agains team that had 800 kids now does that sound fair heck no

Newton won state at the 3A level as one of the smallest 3A's in the state.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scalp'em wrote:

OK, Doesn't the kids in Orange County get to pick what high school they want to go to, or this info wrong that was given to me

No, you were given incorrect info. You have attend the school district in which you live. (although, I believe you can attend another school if you have a parent that is an employee at said school district???).

Hate to say it but WO-S this year. Coach Moody has LC-M headed in the right direction.

i remember that game, i was just a freshman at wos. yall had a guy on the defensive line that was the biggest kid i had ever saw in my life. west brook beat us the following year in 1992 at lamar on a hot saturday afternoon. that west brook team was tough led by James Brown and Frank Middleton.

Hooks is a GREAT coach w/o a doubt---but Stewart had his team yanked out of a comfortable district and thrown into a VERY tough district where

he had to compete as an outsider and compete he did--that IMO gives him and his staff the edge

If it's down to Hooks and Stewart, let's base it on the head-to-head ;)

Here's my list. I had written a long argument for each and why I put them where they are. Then my computer crashed, so I lost it. I'll keep it very brief.

THE BEST (no particular order)

Hooks - Raise your hand if your program is in our area and has a winning record against his. Thank you very much.

Barbay - They named the stadium after Hooks. One day, they'll name the city after Barbay.

Stowers - When he came to Central, they were this year's Ozen. He turned them around IMMEDIATELY, and it was clearly no fluke.

Neumann - With about the same amount of raw talent as Vidor and Lumberton, he's brought his program well above those and almost to the level of programs such as WO-S and Newton. Never in first in district, but always good enough to play at least 11.

Stewart - See the last sentence of Neumann's profile. Stewart brought his team into one of the state's most traditionally-bruising districts and won it - dominating most games.

GOOD BUT NOT QUITE ELITE

Moody - A change was desperately needed in bear country. If this year is any indication, they'll soon be beating everyone but WO-S.

Credeur - Clearly, there is a different attitude among the Raiders and the community. On the other hand, the team is still in the district cellar.

Morrison - Butting heads with state-caliber heavyweights on an almost weekly basis is one thing, but it's another to do it with a team that most area schools and fans chalk up as an automatic "W." To know that you are a perennial homecoming pencil-in for many opponents and STILL have as much heart as the Cats is a big deal. That's coming from the coaches. Cool guy, and I like his team.

OVERRATED

Matthews - I'm sorry, but I just am not impressed with what he has done in the time he's had. As often as not, his teams have been as dismal as any of his predecessors'. I know he's a nice guy and fired up. Clearly he knows football. I don't know if he's just in the wrong place or what, but all of this "new life in Vidor" stuff wore off a few years ago with me. There have been several D1 players and prospects to roll through Vidor (I'd be willing to say they have more raw talent than Nederland on many occasions). I think he could probably be an outstanding coordinator somewhere - maybe even head coach in a different setting. I'm just not in the "he's made a world of difference in Vidor" crowd.

Clayton - This team is loaded with talent and can do nothing. Much of it is a lack of discipline and "T.O. Syndrome." Everyone wants to throw the ball, run the ball or catch the ball. No one wants to play the line. No one wants to play defense. I'm thinking, however, that some of the problems lie in the coordinator positions - one in particular.

I can't put Burnett in this category, because I think PN-G fans - while appreciative of what he has accomplished - recognize that a change is probably needed. Good coach, but things have gone south.

All of that being said, I don't know Jack S**t.

I can't argue with many of the names mentioned here. My vote would be for Bickham at Deweyville.

Speaking of coaches...did anyone see the "Dan Hooks" injury that Joe Paterno endured Saturday? Broken leg, torn ligament, and all...and he still walked the sidelines after the injury. The man is nearly 80 years old! He is the definition of "old school".

If it's down to Hooks and Stewart' date=' let's base it on the head-to-head ;)

Here's my list. I had written a long argument for each and why I put them where they are. Then my computer crashed, so I lost it. I'll keep it very brief.

Hooks - Raise your hand if your program is in our area and has a winning record against his. Thank you very much.

Barbay - They named the stadium after Hooks. One day, they'll name the city after Barbay.

Stowers - When he came to Central, they were this year's Ozen. He turned them around IMMEDIATELY, and it was clearly no fluke.

Neumann - With about the same amount of raw talent as Vidor and Lumberton, he's brought his program well above those and almost to the level of programs such as WO-S and Newton. Never in first in district, but always good enough to play at least 11.

Stewart - See the last sentence of Neumann's profile. Stewart brought his team into one of the state's most traditionally-bruising districts and won it - dominating most games.

GOOD BUT NOT QUITE ELITE

Moody - A change was desperately needed in bear country. If this year is any indication, they'll soon be beating everyone but WO-S.

Credeur - Clearly, there is a different attitude among the Raiders and the community. On the other hand, the team is still in the district cellar.

Morrison - Butting heads with state-caliber heavyweights on an almost weekly basis is one thing, but it's another to do it with a team that most area schools and fans chalk up as an automatic "W." To know that you are a perennial homecoming pencil-in for many opponents and STILL have as much heart as the Cats is a big deal. That's coming from the coaches. Cool guy, and I like his team.

OVERRATED

Matthews - I'm sorry, but I just am not impressed with what he has done in the time he's had. As often as not, his teams have been as dismal as any of his predecessors'. I know he's a nice guy and fired up. Clearly he knows football. I don't know if he's just in the wrong place or what, but all of this "new life in Vidor" stuff wore off a few years ago with me. There have been several D1 players and prospects to roll through Vidor (I'd be willing to say they have more raw talent than Nederland on many occasions). I think he could probably be an outstanding coordinator somewhere - maybe even head coach in a different setting. I'm just not in the "he's made a world of difference in Vidor" crowd.

Clayton - This team is loaded with talent and can do nothing. Much of it is a lack of discipline and "T.O. Syndrome." Everyone wants to throw the ball, run the ball or catch the ball. No one wants to play the line. No one wants to play defense. I'm thinking, however, that some of the problems lie in the coordinator positions - one in particular.

I can't put Burnett in this category, because I think PN-G fans - while appreciative of what he has accomplished - recognize that a change is probably needed. Good coach, but things have gone south.

All of that being said, I don't know Jack S**t.[/quote']

Very Good Post!!!!!!

I feel your being a little biased with your Hooks pick. Being a WO-S graduate myself, I know all about Hooks, but I also know that he would not be where he is today without his assistants. When Thompson and Foreman left for a few years to pursue other coaching opportunities, Hooks teams struggled. Thats why some have said it should be "Coaching staff of the year".

I also feel that the Coach of the Year award should not be based on a winning record. It should also be based on how the program was improved or changed from years past. Be it a coach that's been there for years or a first year coach. If thats the case, my vote goes to Coach Moody from LC-M.

Guest EagleFan01

Well I sure am glad to see noone is giving coach Barbay any love, well there is a few of you giving him some respect.... He and Hooks are the best coaches in this area hand's down there is noone else even in the same catagory as them two men... Well my vote for coach of the year goes to Barbay with his tough pre season schedule he still got his team thru it at 500. With yet another district title under his belt... He dominated the 3A ranks all those years and now he is doing the same in 2A... Also, lets not forget about TJ Ramsey at Warren he has done a Hell of a job over there and I am very proud of him and his staff......

Newton won state at the 3A level as one of the smallest 3A's in the state.

they also dropped in class also..from 3a to 2a..

Are you two saying that Coach Morgan hasn't done a great job??? If not then why even reply to another persons opinion. I mean be honest, 44stack does Buna have the same athletes as Newton??? And Piratefan...they beat ya the other night.

I also feel that the Coach of the Year award should not be based on a winning record. It should also be based on how the program was improved or changed from years past. Be it a coach that's been there for years or a first year coach. If thats the case, my vote goes to Coach Moody from LC-M.

I agree in many respects, but Hooks took over a program that was five years old. It kind of falls under the N/A umbrella there.

When Thompson and Foreman left for a few years to pursue other coaching opportunities, Hooks teams struggled.

I wouldn't say they "struggled." While they did go 5-5 one year, they followed it with two 8-2 seasons - a record for which MOST programs would kill. Also, I think we have to consider whether some staff members can do more harm than good regardless of the head coach. Not to point the finger, but one of the coordinators who was with WO-S in the non-Thompson years is now in the same position at Ozen.

I think being a great head coach is not just about coaching itself, but surrounding yourself with people who buy into your way of thinking and mold kids to fit your program. Does that make sense?

Are you two saying that Coach Morgan hasn't done a great job??? If not then why even reply to another persons opinion. I mean be honest' date=' 44stack does Buna have the same athletes as Newton??? And Piratefan...they beat ya the other night.[/quote']NO they didnt beat me the other night..we played Ozen...sorry wrong pirate

Guest ECBucFan

If it's down to Hooks and Stewart' date=' let's base it on the head-to-head ;)

Hooks - Barbay -Stowers - Neumann - Stewart -

GOOD BUT NOT QUITE ELITE

Moody - Credeur - Morrison -

OVERRATED Matthews - Clayton - I can't put Burnett in this category,

Of that being said, I don't know Jack S**t.[/quote']

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

10-0 Valastro doesn't even make the "Good" list? Are you kidding me? Well, at least your last sentence is 100% correct!

The Coach of the Year, and Best Coach are two seperate categories. For instance I think Coach Hooks is one of the best if not the best head coach in this area. On the other hand I don't think that you could say he has done a great job this year. Yes, he did his usual in bringing WOS to 9-0 and a potential great year. But, is anybody surprised, by what WOS has done so far? LCM is by far the surprise team of the area, and Moody has brought the team a long way in a short time. It's just how you view the question.

Kicker you can come out, the boxes are closed. :wink:

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder