Dayton Broncos New Coach

vpdb78

New Dayton Head Coach: We reported several weeks ago, Dayton Broncos Head Football Coach Jerry Stewart would retire as head coach at the end of this school year. Tuesday night, the Dayton School board named Stewart’s successor. Joel Hancock is the new head football coach for the perennial powerhouse Dayton Broncos. Hancock has been a coach for 20 years, 18 of those working with Coach Jerry Stewart. Jerry Stewart will remain in the part time capacity as athletic director. KSHN Radiogram

Guest Ranger83
Nice article in the Barbers Hill Sun this morning. But come on coach, Under Armour jacket with Reebok pants? :)

I will say that I do not envy the man that follows Coach Stewart. The microscope is offically on.

[quote name="Yearof thePat!" post="967607" timestamp="1297948196"]
Nice article in the Barbers Hill Sun this morning. But come on coach, Under Armour jacket with Reebok pants? :)

I will say that I do not envy the man that follows Coach Stewart. The microscope is offically on.
[/quote]Coach Hancock has 18 years of being mentored by great coach---he will do fine.

[quote name="rollinac" post="967721" timestamp="1297959138"]
Diamond I sure hope you're right and that he will do fine.  I just have to agree that the microscope is definitely on as we Dayton fans have become spoiled....whether you like it or not or if it's fair or not. 
[/quote]I understand---but the board will not flinch if he stumbles. There will be an adjustment period as everyone learns how he operates. In short the Broncos are in good hands.

[quote name="bronco1" post="967736" timestamp="1297959617"]
My prediction is there will be [b]no obvious changes to the general public[/b]. The system is in place, success will continue.
[/quote]

that's kinda my thought. I don't know jack, but I know one thing that won't change, and that's the focus on defense.

[quote name="dayton" post="967746" timestamp="1297959951"]
[quote author=bronco1 link=topic=80424.msg967736#msg967736 date=1297959617]
My prediction is there will be [b]no obvious changes to the general public[/b]. The system is in place, success will continue.
[/quote]

that's kinda my thought. I don't know jack, but I know one thing that won't change, and that's the focus on defense.
[/quote]Dayton will continue their dominance...

[quote name="Diamond-J" post="967734" timestamp="1297959529"]
[quote author=rollinac link=topic=80424.msg967721#msg967721 date=1297959138]
Diamond I sure hope you're right and that he will do fine.  I just have to agree that the microscope is definitely on as we Dayton fans have become spoiled....whether you like it or not or if it's fair or not. 
[/quote]I understand---but the board will not flinch if he stumbles. There will be an adjustment period as everyone learns how he operates. In short the Broncos are in good hands.
[/quote]
Hmmm....I'm with you on the stumble...what if it's a "fall on his face?"  I'm cautiously optimistic but I go from knowing we have a good coach and a good program to hoping.  Could be much to do about nothing but I don't envy the position of Coach Hancock having to follow Coach Stewart.  What's the saying...."you want to replace the guy that replaced the legend"?

Dayton is getting blessed with a bumber crop of talent coming into high school next year.  Dayton High School is loaded with speed.  Looks like to me that most if not all of the current coaching staff is going to stay intact for the football team.  Dayton will stomp 19-4A again this year and will make another good playoff run.

[quote name="PURPLE 4EVER" post="968103" timestamp="1298032943"]
Dayton is getting blessed with a bumber crop of talent coming into high school next year.  Dayton High School is loaded with speed.  Looks like to me that most if not all of the current coaching staff is going to stay intact for the football team.  Dayton will stomp 19-4A again this year and will make another good playoff run.
[/quote]
You are correct Toups. From 7th grade and up Dayton dominated this year. The 8th grade class has some of the best "talent I have seen come through if not the best in a long time. ;D

• 2 weeks later...
I just saw this on the new coach. I agree the 8th grade A team is very good and has been coached very very well. As far as speed, they have good speed but it's not like others dont have it either. Look at this clip at the 1:32 mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7-0wPD51js&feature=related

The difference in that game was different levels of coaching and scheme so it should be interesting as the kids move up and the others catch up in terms of X's and O's.

[quote name="joebob" post="976388" timestamp="1299168377"]
I just saw this on the new coach. I agree the 8th grade A team is very good and has been coached very very well. As far as speed, they have good speed but it's not like others dont have it either. Look at this clip at the 1:32 mark.

The difference in that game was different levels of coaching and scheme so it should be interesting as the kids move up and the others catch up in terms of X's and O's.
[/quote]

I believe the score was 26-6 Dayton ;)  and the 26 was at halftime before the bench got some playin time. Hows that for speed ;D

[quote name="joebob" post="976388" timestamp="1299168377"]

The difference in that game was different levels of coaching and scheme so it should be interesting as the kids move up and [b]the others catch up in terms of X's and O's. [/b] [/quote]

What's the plan for that to happen?

those are some good size kids though. Dayton is out-athleted by many teams they play.

No but close, it was 18-6 @ half.  And no backups got any playing time that game, your coaches wanted to beat us as bad as they could and if I am not mistaken that was your lowest point total of the year. 

And like the other guy said, its not just the players but the system. Our team did not practice anywhere near enough or have a system down like you guys did and thats a credit to you. Our school district is behind the times in building a program, they dont have the high schools working withe jr high kids because most of the jr highs dont all go to the same HS. CBJ happens to be an exception(all Sterling kids) but we still didnt get any work from the HS coaches. You guys have a staff game planning and learning schemes, we just hoped to out "athlete" the other team which we did every game but the one game scheme came into play, against yall. We shut yall down outside but like good coaches do, yall adjusted and started running screens and draws right up the middle and we never adjusted. It was fun and opened our kids eyes as we beat everyone badly just like yall did for two years. I wish Baytown would see what you guys have done and build a program starting in the 6th grade but I dont see it happening until they get to 9th grade.

[quote name="BRONX ROX" post="976604" timestamp="1299179243"]
[quote author=joebob link=topic=80424.msg976388#msg976388 date=1299168377]

[/quote]

I believe the score was 26-6 Dayton ;)  and the 26 was at halftime before the bench got some playin time. Hows that for speed ;D
[/quote]

[quote name="joebob" post="976674" timestamp="1299182792"]
No but close, it was 18-6 @ half.  And no backups got any playing time that game, your coaches wanted to beat us as bad as they could and if I am not mistaken that was your lowest point total of the year.  

And like the other guy said, its not just the players but the system. Our team did not practice anywhere near enough or have a system down like you guys did and thats a credit to you. Our school district is behind the times in building a program, they dont have the high schools working withe jr high kids because most of the jr highs dont all go to the same HS. CBJ happens to be an exception(all Sterling kids) but we still didnt get any work from the HS coaches. You guys have a staff game planning and learning schemes, we just hoped to out "athlete" the other team which we did every game but the one game scheme came into play, against yall. We shut yall down outside but like good coaches do, yall adjusted and started running screens and draws right up the middle and we never adjusted. It was fun and opened our kids eyes as we beat everyone badly just like yall did for two years. I wish Baytown would see what you guys have done and build a program starting in the 6th grade but I dont see it happening until they get to 9th grade.

[/quote]

good post... Our program is as complete a program as is in this area and it shows against teams that are clearly more talented.

Dayton has really been blessed with some amazing football athletes.  From watching over a decade of Bronco football from 7th to varsity what makes this 8th grade bunch different is the number of kids with break away speed.  Usually the really good Pony teams have had two kids that could break it on any play, the best two combinations were Cody Green / AJ Dugat, and Michael Dugat / James Maxwell.  This 8th grade bunch has about 4 guys on that level.  The defense this team plays is on par with the Pony team led by Gable and Smesny (still think they were the best defensive group we have had since I have been here)  Beating Cunningham as bad as they did was huge.  I believe Cunningham had less than four first downs the whole game.  Bottom line, don't know if they will need any of the freshmen next year (this years 8th graders) on varsity, but there is a lot of talent being pumped into the high school next year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    catherine
    Newest Member
    catherine