Open Message Hamshire - Fannett Basketball Future

BLUEDOVE3

Because of all the various social media outlets, "armchair quarterbacks" such as myself have been afforded the opportunity to openly express our thoughts about our favorite teams and coaches. Sometimes good  and other times not so good. I didn't start this thread with the intent to directly step on any toes. Hamshire Fannett ISD provides the kids with an excellent academic environment first and foremost; thats a given.
But this is a basketball forum and I will stick to the topic of basketball. The best thing that could have happened this season IMHO is that HF was put on notice that parents are expecting excellence in their program and more accountability. Too much "little Johnny" in any basketball program will hurt you. I fully expect about four JV players to challenge several current varsity players for spots next year. You can't win when you have players WALKING on down the court on defense after they made a mistake. Unbelievable!! How can you sit a kid on the bench for approx: two quarters and he ends up being your leading scorer for the game. It is so mind boggling to me to see the things I see on the court.
[color=blue]And the ball said: "Don't be afraid of greatness. Greatness will not hurt you. Greatness will not embarrass [/color][color=goldenrod]you. Greatness will not trick you. Greatness will not deceive you. Greatness will not harm you. Greatness will simply reward you for clearing your path to greatness."

[/color]

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At some point you are going to have to make a decision.  Are at HF for academics or for basketball?  If you are there for academics then you must live with the frustrations that you will continue to get with basketball (weights, coaching, etc.).  If you are there for basketball, then Dove, you are smart enough to know that HF isn't the best place to be for basketball.  You and momma have complained since the beginning of the season about one thing or another. 

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="965242" timestamp="1297530538"]
After Dove has already established how well the academics are at Hamshire-Fannett, it would be very obvious that any move from them to a school within the district would be for athletic purposes.

I see problems arising here. ;) ;D
[/quote]

Just go to Kelly. Package deal. I'm sure they'd even offer Dove an asst. coach spot.

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="965262" timestamp="1297533068"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=80192.msg965242#msg965242 date=1297530538]
After Dove has already established how well the academics are at Hamshire-Fannett, it would be very obvious that any move from them to a school within the district would be for athletic purposes.

I see problems arising here. ;) ;D
[/quote]

Just go to Kelly. Package deal. I'm sure they'd even offer Dove an asst. coach spot.
[/quote]

If there was a move, this would be the smart play. ;)

If you honestly think that all this will make a difference then pm me and I will share a couple of stories with you.  The part that you are missing is you assume that they care what you think around the program.  By that I mean this is a football district with the exception of Silsbee and HJ wh have developed solid enough programs where an AD would never be able to do some of the things that other programs do.  And until the community decides that they want it otherwise you can scream, cuss, run down the coach, it does not matter.  You can even run for the school board, it does not change things.  Throw in the fact that the AD was just hired, he is there for the long run.  On a side not about the transfer, you can bet that if you have rubbed people the wrong way there you can bet that if you transfer anywhere you will be taking that drive to Austin to explain the transfer for athletics.  That is the reality.

It's too bad some of you obviously don't get it...I feel Dove's pain and it's not just about HIS kids.  He, just as others at HF see the talent that is there and being wasted.  As stated before -- it takes more than one player or coach to compile a successful (and I'm not just talking about being State Champs) team.  The concern is for all of the players who work hard.  The player who came out being the leading scorer for the game played maybe 1.5 quarters....HOW does this make sense and it's not the first time it has happened.  But we know now that it's not about winning or competing...I won't say AGAIN what it's really about  :-X....Signed - Keeping hope alive.

Should be about winning, scoring isn't the whole deal.  Its like I ask my kids after the game, how many rebounds, to's, assists?  Too many kids/parents today worried about the name in the paper for scoring.  Just saying going at it all wrong.  I agree with the frustration of not being able to do what you need to do to get the program better, but basing everything around one kid scoring the most points is not right.  Would you be able to quote how many pts his man had while he was in, how many to's etc? Not defending the coach just can't always be about pts.  If you lost by 40 doesn't matter if he had 12 or 20, was not a game changer.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="965316" timestamp="1297542395"]
Should be about winning, scoring isn't the whole deal.  Its like I ask my kids after the game, how many rebounds, to's, assists?  Too many kids/parents today worried about the name in the paper for scoring.  Just saying going at it all wrong.  I agree with the frustration of not being able to do what you need to do to get the program better, but basing everything around one kid scoring the most points is not right.  Would you be able to quote how many pts his man had while he was in, how many to's etc? Not defending the coach just can't always be about pts.  If you lost by 40 doesn't matter if he had 12 or 20, was not a game changer.
[/quote]

I interpret their comments in a different way.  I dont think they care who the leading scorer is.  I think they dont understand the logic of benching the most productive offensive player in that particular game for 75% of the time.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Scoring can be misleading,if a get gets 10 or 12 against weak clubs or when the game is decided they mean absolutely nothing.On the other hand if he averages 20 and starts you know he's seeing the other clubs best.FYI-With the current state of our public school finances I wouldn't make any moves for athletic purposes.It's not only illegal it may change before you get checked in.

[quote name="stevenash" post="965330" timestamp="1297545448"]
[quote author=Wildcatter link=topic=80192.msg965316#msg965316 date=1297542395]
[/quote]

I interpret their comments in a different way.  I dont think they care who the leading scorer is.  I think they dont understand the logic of benching the most productive offensive player in that particular game for 75% of the time.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.
[/quote]

Nash - THANK YOU for your interpretation!  No need in ANYONE correcting you because you're exactly right...

Now here I go - gotta defend my HORNS!  :)

Wildcatter - some of your points are right also - YES it should be about winning but in order to win you MUST score and in order to score you MUST rebound and in order to score you MUST NOT have many turn-overs and in order to score you MUST have assists.  Believe me it's not about getting any ONE particular player's name in the paper but instead HF LONGHORNS as a team.  You did forget to mention a few other things also - in order to WIN you must play good defense, put in the right combinations and make smart substitutions...I hate saying it over and over but AGAIN - there are many pieces to this puzzle that I call a good basketball program.

AAW - Didn't anyone ever tell you "don't believe everything you're told"?  See it to believe it.  The player who ended up being the high scorer has played with the best and ended up the high scorer then also.  He is not a player who should be playing during "garbage time" he should be a starter and even if not a starter he should be coming off the bench wwwwaaaaayyyyy before some others.

Bobcat - If you've been around any amount of time you would know that HF DOES have a winning tradition in basketball - that's why your team dislikes HF so much...check past years basketball records from 'lil dribblers (one particular year I remember the "good sportsmanship" one of your lil dribblers teams showed when they walked off the court without doing the end of the game "good game" hand shake because they were upset that an HF lil dribblers team beat them) up through Middle School and even Freshman and JV.  No research needed...changes were made when parents invested TIME in the TALENT beginning in lil dribblers years...this DID start a lot earlier than their freshman or sophomore years...I need a shaking "smiley" cause I feel the need to shake some haters off  :D

Alice - the strong foundation is there (see previous comment to Bobcat).

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="965217" timestamp="1297525983"]
Because of all the various social media outlets, "armchair quarterbacks" such as myself have been afforded the opportunity to openly express our thoughts about our favorite teams and coaches. Sometimes good  and other times not so good. I didn't start this thread with the intent to directly step on any toes. Hamshire Fannett ISD provides the kids with an excellent academic environment first and foremost; thats a given.
But this is a basketball forum and I will stick to the topic of basketball. The best thing that could have happened this season IMHO is that HF was put on notice that parents are expecting excellence in their program and more accountability. Too much "little Johnny" in any basketball program will hurt you. I fully expect about four JV players to challenge several current varsity players for spots next year. You can't win when you have players WALKING on down the court on defense after they made a mistake. Unbelievable!! How can you sit a kid on the bench for approx: two quarters and he ends up being your leading scorer for the game. It is so mind boggling to me to see the things I see on the court.
[color=blue]And the ball said: "Don't be afraid of greatness. Greatness will not hurt you. Greatness will not embarrass [/color][color=goldenrod]you. Greatness will not trick you. Greatness will not deceive you. Greatness will not harm you. Greatness will simply reward you for clearing your path to greatness."

[/color]

[/quote]
Dove - in all seriousness, once your boys have graduated, does HF have a horse in the district 21-3A race? 

Dove - in all seriousness, once your boys have graduated, does HF have a horse in the district 21-3A race? 
[/quote]

bmrm - not answering for Dove just giving you my two cents - It's not all about Dove's boys.  As I see it when any season starts (no matter what the sport) every team has a horse in the race BUT it's about how you raise, feed, care for, train and ride that horse that determines where you finish in the race....been there done that too (I'm a COWGIRL too - maybe why I LOVE LONGHORNS)  ;D

[quote name="hfmom08" post="965546" timestamp="1297568685"]

[/quote]

bmrm - not answering for Dove just giving you my two cents - It's not all about Dove's boys.  As I see it when any season starts (no matter what the sport) every team has a horse in the race BUT it's about how you raise, feed, care for, train and ride that horse that determines where you finish in the race....been there done that too (I'm a COWGIRL too - maybe why I LOVE LONGHORNS)  ;D
[/quote]
So HFMOM please give me a correct assumption of HF's future.  I am in no way trying to criticize or downplay the program, just trying to get an accurate assumption since I'm not familiar with the younger divisions. 

imo hf struggles and will continue to struggle because they have too many players worried about stats and not enough who play for the team.  from what ive seen, when breaking the press there is way too much dribbling.  whenever they break the press the easiest, the ball never touches the floor.  this is where nearly all the turnovers came from last night against WOS. 

Well bmrm - I was taught not to assume so I won't make an assumption of HF's future...thank you for not criticizing or downplaying the HF program because there is a lot of that that goes on already  :)  I can say (because I am familiar with and involved with HF's younger divisions and have been for 16+ years) that there is potential as there always has been.  Some parents (who don't get paid to coach and who take more interest in the kids than it just being a "job") are (as relates to horses) raising, feeding, caring for and training them but in the end it's up to the 'rider' to really 'ride' that horse to the finish line...in this case lil dribblers can go to National Tournaments and play great and come in close to the top (no we haven't won a National Title but everyone doesn't make it to Nationals either so just getting there is an accomplishment), our Middle School teams can be District Champs and even Co-Champs and our Freshman and JV teams can finish seasons in one of the top three spots in the district but when we get to the important race...Varsity...all of the pieces MUST come together....so to sum it up...from what i've seen in my years...until some changes are made and people in high places take basketball more seriously at HF...as much as I hate to say it HF's future doesn't look to promising...signed again by Keeping Hope Alive  :) 

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="965589" timestamp="1297588940"]
Little Dribblers? Come on... ::)
[/quote]

I believe her point is that there is talent in HF area which shows up at the junior high ages. However, when these kids get to high school the results seem to be vastly different. Now I will grant you that kids' talents change as they grow older. Now, how do you explain that the talent at every other school leap frogs the kids at HF. The problem isn't that HF has trouble making the playoffs, they have trouble even winning a game. This isn't just a basketball problem. Now I read on this board that you can't judge a school by what the do in middle school. But how do you explain every basketball player that comes through HF getting leap frogged in talent by every player at every school. This is why parents who have kids with athletic talent often look to move their kids before they get to high school. It is mind boggling.

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="965589" timestamp="1297588940"]
Little Dribblers? Come on... ::)
[/quote]

I didn't just mention Little Dribblers Bobcat....but the reason I did mention it was because someone did mention that you have to have a solid foundation and because bmrm stated he wasn't familiar with HF's younger divisions...so first and foremost Little Dribblers is important because that's where fundamentals are introduced and that's where that solid foundation gets started.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder