Two Longtime Newton Assistants get axed

It sucks to see some great people let go, but if they're already getting a retirement I don't see why they should be untouchable.  it's better to keep the teachers that still have years to go.  All school districts are going through this and I see alot of people not happy, but what else are they suppose to do to cut back.  

I had to come back and edit this because I didn't see this the first go round.  If they really have 3 supers thats amazing, I've heard people say that schools are top heavy with too many administrators and this would fall into that category I would think.  

[quote author=Red Rocker link=topic=80066.msg967761#msg967761 date=1297960873]
Newton ISD has to cut people anyway so they can pay their three (yes 3) supts.  A small 2A school with three supts. As Don King would say "only in America". :D
[/quote

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems someone is getting the wrong information on these coaches. Both are still coaching and are expected to be back next year. Newton has added even more coaches, Hill from Hemphill is aboard as is Gulley who went to Kirbyville with W.T. and came back with him. There is also two more coaches aboard and only one of them is in question to whether he will be back next year or not. All these coaches teach other than just coach.
Also, I was told by one of the coaches that the attitude of the kids has improved, W.T. has implemented a program with decipline and the kids are reacting to it.
  I apoligize to all of the district teams that are licking your chops, but Newton Football is BACK.

[quote name="purpleeagle" post="981203" timestamp="1299865299"]
Seems someone is getting the wrong information on these coaches. Both are still coaching and are expected to be back next year. Newton has added even more coaches, Hill from Hemphill is aboard as is Gulley who went to Kirbyville with W.T. and came back with him. There is also two more coaches aboard and only one of them is in question to whether he will be back next year or not. All these coaches teach other than just coach.
Also, I was told by one of the coaches that the attitude of the kids has improved, W.T. has implemented a program with decipline and the kids are reacting to it.
  I apoligize to all of the district teams that are licking your chops, but Newton Football is BACK.
[/quote]

Every retire/rehire with NISD was told that their jobs were not renewed for the coming school year because of budgetary problems directly in a meeting with the superintendent. This is not wrong information, but a fact. Now having said that, there are always means of getting past "problems" as we all know. According to when they retired, there are penalties imposed for the district to rehire them. Football is king in Newton and has been for a long time. Don't see that changing. There were numerous non renewals handed out in NISD recently that were not to retire/rehires. When the dust settles, I'm sure there will be retire/rehires that will be back next year.

[quote name="Scooter!" post="963800" timestamp="1297298694"]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=80066.msg963744#msg963744 date=1297290622]
Word on the grapevine is longtime Newton assistant coaches Lidney Thompson and Gene Waukoviak will not get new contracts for the 2011-2012 school year. This is not the decision of new head coach WT Johnston, but an effort by the Newton School Board to cut cost for the new school year budget. The board has decided to not offer contracts to personnel that have retired from teaching and are receiving retirement money from Teacher's Retirement and have been rehired by the district. This cost the district extra money to do as they have to pay a penalty to the state education fund for these people. So let's just kick out 80 years of coaching experience to satisfy a pencil pusher. Makes sense to me. ::)
[/quote]Gene to Jasper?
[/quote]

Doubt it unless 2 others are let go. We're facing challenges like everyone else.

[quote name="hitman009" post="966432" timestamp="1297792717"]
i got one that will save every district in america...... go to 4 - 10hr days. this will save every district on elect, transportation, meal credit....... just think of the everyday costs.... BILLOINS SAVED!!
[/quote]

...And cost parents money in child care for 1 day a week. I guess it would be a boom for day cares.

[quote name="purpleeagle" post="981203" timestamp="1299865299"]
[/quote]

If NISD is able to add that many coaches to the athletic program, maybe the other districts need to get some finance lessons from them.

Correction on Newton's coach, coach Hall not coach Hill.
Some of the coach's were not being rehired at the same positions they were in, but are going to be hired in another position. Some of them are taking a big cut in pay but have told me they would be back next year. It is not that Newton is not making monitary changes but that some of the coaches are taking it on themselves to make and accept sacrifices.
Maby some of you know more than these coaches do that are telling me that they plan on being back next year. I guess next year we will see.

Nothing like facts to completely muddy the waters on any subject. I have not said at any time that these coaches would not return next year. Their jobs in fact were terminated and they had to reapply at much reduced compensation because they were retired/rehired. I don't know how to make this any more plain. I'm all for them returning, but have a problem with trying to cut corners on the backs of individuals that have proven their value through many years of dedicated sacrifice and service. The corner cutting should be done on programs that involve a small number of participants and have been implemented to serve a social need that should not have been school related. These are many in Newton.

Champion eagle, in your post you stated that these two coaches would not get new contract. They are probably going to get new contracts next year. Your post seem to implement that they would not be back next year.  Getting the AX usually inplies to me that they would be gone.
  Your statement on the supt. was totally uncalled for. The school board hired her because she was the best qualified, not because of where she lived.
Dictionary definition of Ax is ''to be dismissed, expelled or rejected''.
I am sorry that I misinterpreted your statement.

[quote name="purpleeagle" post="981854" timestamp="1299951010"]
Champion eagle, in your post you stated that these two coaches would not get new contract. They are probably going to get new contracts next year. Your post seem to implement that they would not be back next year.  Getting the AX usually inplies to me that they would be gone.
  Your statement on the supt. was totally uncalled for. The school board hired her because she was the best qualified, not because of where she lived.
Dictionary definition of Ax is ''to be dismissed, expelled or rejected''.
I am sorry that I misinterpreted your statement.

[/quote]

I never said they would not get new contracts. They did get axed from their current contract. As far as my thoughts about the supt., are you my mama? "Oh, don't say anything against the nice lady." I thought I was quite kind. My taxes pay part of her salary and she pays none, yet I'm supposed to not disagree in any way with her decisions? Give me a break. Her salary and stipends are more than double the coaches. Let her take a big pay cut and help with the budget problems in a meaningful way.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin