Hey Refs there should be a new system

Last night the refs at our game even blew the tip off.  HJ kid knocked the tip out of bounds and they missed the call.  How do you miss that one? No one had even moved and you can't get that one right. I have worn the stripes and I understand but it is just horrible this year.  It's the same ones over and over, you can't scratch every bad official or there would be none left it seems.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="hitchpin" post="951273" timestamp="1295471003"]

the old argument "if you don't like how they do it then suit up and do it yourself" is lame. i didn't sign up to nor accept pay (however poor it is) to do it, they did and they should do it fairly without emotion or bias. alot of officials do it for the love of the sport not the pay, kudos to those who do. i'd bet they're among the best. if we run out of officials, oh well. i'd be just as happy with the kids calling their own compared to some of the mess i've seen this year. i swear i think the kids would be fairer to each other than [u]some[/u] of the grown men calling.

[/quote]

Are you kidding me?  You never have done it, yet you are an expert.  You, without ever officiating a game can tell refs, that have gone thru at least some training, how it should be done?  As was posted earlier "man up", put on a shirt and experience it.  Then get on a board and read all the threads about how terrible you are at calling a game. ;D

Look, for the most part officiating is terrible.  They have no accountability system.  They can call the shots and do as the choose and please without worrying about anything happening.  This has been a problem for a while.  Not all are this way, some do a very good job. 
But if a guy can take a few classes and come into a game and change the outcome of a game for his own likings compared to a coach who first has to go to school for 4 years to get a degree, then take another 30 hours on top of the degree to teach.  Take the appropriate tests.  Take all the CDl, CPR and ect test to coach and then spend tireless days and nights preparing his team to play basketballl the right way and in comes some guy off the street and can over turn that.  It is not right, spin it however you want. 

How bout when the refs put too much emotion with their calls? Like I've seen jus recently a ref smile like he felt like king kong when he blew a foul on the away team, like he enjoyed it, he seemed so unproffesional, told the away teams big man after he showed the refs te slaps on his arms "ur a big guy so u shood take those hits like their nothing" like really? A foul is a foul,  it was a big game and the ft differential was about 30 favorin the home team. Idk if there are any good officials in 1A, maybe in the upper classes but 1A doesn't get too many good ones

I once was an official and called it  like I saw it. in ways I feel for refs when one or both coaches are trying to intimidate you not counting the crowd. I only ask for some integrity in officials like not be intimidated and calling the way you see it. Also call it the same way all game (good coaches learn to adjust to your style of calling the game) not being wishy washy. I will show my displeasure with ho hum officials. also, i have had some adjective and adverbs slurred at me when I was a ref but I have no regrets because I called it as I saw it. I know most officials have integrity and call as they see it but in the smaller divisions sometimes can tell if the officiateing was or is home cooking or which kid the officials really don't  like. I wonder what would happen if a coach really knew he was getting the raw end of the deal and after a quarter or so just got his kids and loaded up on the bus and left. He would be in trouble for exposing bad officials.not trying to give any ideas.  jmo

My real and only pet peeve with officials is when sometimes they come to the scoring table at halftime and want to know what the foul count is for both teams. That raises all kinds of questions!! I have witnessed this myself several times and have been told by scorekeepers many times.

No one can ever make me understand why it's necessary for an official to know what the foul count is at halftime of a game.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="951548" timestamp="1295497317"]
AAW, they want to know the foul count so they can even it up in the second half or either give the team they have a hidden agenda for a bigger advantage. 
[/quote]

Well, yea, I do understand that. I just wanted to know the "technical" point of it.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="951555" timestamp="1295497747"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=78978.msg951548#msg951548 date=1295497317]
AAW, they want to know the foul count so they can even it up in the second half or either give the team they have a hidden agenda for a bigger advantage. 
[/quote]

Well, yea, I do understand that. I just wanted to know the "technical" point of it.
[/quote]

AAW, I knew you knew I was just furthering the comment.

[quote name="xavierbreath" post="951483" timestamp="1295492675"]
[quote author=hitchpin link=topic=78978.msg951273#msg951273 date=1295471003]

the old argument "if you don't like how they do it then suit up and do it yourself" is lame. i didn't sign up to nor accept pay (however poor it is) to do it, they did and they should do it fairly without emotion or bias. alot of officials do it for the love of the sport not the pay, kudos to those who do. i'd bet they're among the best. if we run out of officials, oh well. i'd be just as happy with the kids calling their own compared to some of the mess i've seen this year. i swear i think the kids would be fairer to each other than [u]some[/u] of the grown men calling.

[/quote]

Are you kidding me?  You never have done it, yet you are an expert.  You, without ever officiating a game can tell refs, that have gone thru at least some training, how it should be done?  As was posted earlier "man up", put on a shirt and experience it.  Then get on a board and read all the threads about how terrible you are at calling a game. ;D
[/quote]

no i wasn't kidding, did you see a "lol" anywhere in the post? apparently your reading comprehension is low. i don't expect refs to be perfect or all knowing, just unbiased and unemotional about calling the game, and consistent and accountable. i'm far from an expert, thats kinda the point it doesn't take an expert to see the inconsistency. as stated i didn't sign up to do it. part of the problem is people thinking they are beyond reproach simply because someone with a critical comment doesn't do that same job. thats unintelligent. if you accepted the job and pay then do it right, thats right by the kids.

i want to reiterate that i've seen some well called games this year, a few. to those that are doing it fairly thank you for having the wherewithall and integrity to do a good job. if you don't know who you are...well then you know who you are.

Being a fan I can see their point about some referees deciding games. But being an ex-umpire myself I also can see it from the official's side of things. The action happens so quickly and you are going to miss a few calls here and there. They are only human, believe it or not. Before I slide completely into their camp, however, I have heard that during playoff football games between teams with vastly different records(say a 5-6 team going up against a 10-0 district champion) that more weight is often given to the team who is the one who is "supposed" to win. Officials should strive to make themselves blend into the background and not make themselves part of the game. 75% of the officiating is called straight down the line. If you are having a bad game, be equally bad to both sides!

[quote name="whsalum" post="951370" timestamp="1295483057"]
Mike Simpson is as good at training young officials as anyone could be, unfortunately there aren't alot of mentors like they used to be.You also have several guys calling games now that don't get into any kind of shape before the season starts.I do have one pet peeve that I saw in the HJ/Silsbee girls game last week,it was inbounding a dead ball.The crew which was an experienced one, constantly let the girls with the ball move on the sideline and the base line,on made baskets you can run the baseline on dead ball spots this is a turnover.Overall the officiating I've seen this year has been pretty good.
[/quote]
Mike is a good trainer and many of the chapters have good mentors, but that list seems to be getting smaller as the overall need for officials is increasing. 

and how much were they letting the girls move on the sideline?  The designated throw in spot is 3 foot wide, and movement beyond that is really easy to see.

[quote name="tvc184" post="951248" timestamp="1295469071"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=78978.msg951211#msg951211 date=1295465198]
It is true you have to adjust to the officials because you have no other choice.   But your statement just [size=10pt][b]completely threw the UIL rule book out the window and allowed the official to call the game the way he wanted[/b][/size]......................
[/quote]

Not really.

It is no different than two baseball umpires calling a different game at the plate. One might call it tight and one might call it wide. Both know the rules and both believe they are going by the rules. It is a judgment on what is outside, what is low, etc.

There are some rules like stepping on a line is out of bounds that are clear cut. There are others that are judgment calls and a player needs to play the way that ref is calling it. It is not the matter of throwing out the rules but what one guy sees.
[/quote]
CORRECT, if East Texas BB has officiated like he claims, then he should have the same rule book that I have which states " All contact is not a foul". So when you inject human judgement into the equation, you get different styles of officiating.

It seems like there are a bunch of ex-refs evaluating current refs on this post. If you all are so well versed on how it should be done, then get back in the "kitchen" and help all of these pitiful refs. I expect etbb to lead the charge. You can pm me because I'm sure I could use a few pointers.

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="tracker1012" post="951738" timestamp="1295543993"]
its funny that the refs call a good game when you win------but they sure are lousy when you loose
[/quote]

I've witnessed lousy refs even when we won. Sad part about it is it kind of took a little bit of the joy out of the win!

The refs need to leave the agendas at the house. Those that have them know who they are. I can predict whether or not we will have foul problems when I get the first look to see who will be reffing our game. I can even predict it for a couple of other teams. These certain guys execute their agenda year in and year out!

[quote name="Two-Dogs..." post="951744" timestamp="1295544610"]
[quote author=tracker1012 link=topic=78978.msg951738#msg951738 date=1295543993]
its funny that the refs call a good game when you win------but they sure are lousy when you loose
[/quote]

[color=black][color=red]The refs need to leave the agendas at the house. Those that have them know who they are. I can predict whether or not we will have foul problems when I get the first look to see who will be reffing our game. I can even predict it for a couple of other teams[/color]. [size=10pt]These certain guys execute their agenda year in and year out![/color][/size]
[/quote]

Then produce the evidence, take it to UIL and these refs will certainly not be allowed to ref your games (and probably not any others as well).  But please, do not get on here and say something like this if you don't have the evidence or proof to back it up. JMO

Lt Dangle, sorry to raise your hair.  I dont officiate anymore, but I have in the past.  
My statement is clear and to the point, officials should have an accountability system.  It does not take much to become a certified official.  A few classes and a test.  Basically like getting certifed in CPR.  What is aggrevating is that with limited credintials and no one holding them accountable they can control the game the way they want.  I do not no one officials in the state who puts as much time and effort into officiating as a coach does into teaching his team to play the game.  Yet, they can come in and decide the game and do and say what ever they want to a coach and he cant say anything back or they sit him down.  It isnt right, there should be an accountability system.  I dont understand your statement about "no contact meaning little contact".  You will have to explain that to me. Please do, I would like to know what you are talking about.
On the side of officials, do some do a good job, you bet they do, but for the most part it is one of the weakest parts of the game at the time. And i sent you a PM too.

The Beaumont refs are the worst i ever seen .You can see who they are pulling for to win.we play central and ozen and both time we had a big lead on them.they call everything on us.At ozen tuesday we had a 17points lead and the change their way of officiating.ozen were tackling our guy and slapping their hand you could from the stand and they weren't calling it.Then will would go down to the other side and our players would be standing still with their hand up,and we would get the fouls.It been like that every year against those teams.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder