Commissioner says WAC has new members lined up

Do any of you guys remember why LU wound up back in the Southland?  With no football, Rex Cottle wanted to try to save Grey Giovanni's job as basketball coach back in the mid 90's, so he proposed the move to the Southland and put the carrot out that LU could bring football back under the IAA/FCS conference.  The real skinny on that is that he had no intention of really bringing football back, just saving Grey.  He departs and in steps Dr. Simmons who really did want to bring FB back and everyone probably knows the rest of the story.  Being in the Southland helped get football back, but if LU can make the move to FBS, then I am on board for exactly the same reason as Green Menace articulated how he felt about UNT.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Report: Idaho Vandals pursuing Mountain West Conference invite
Submitted by Brian Murphy on Thu, 01/20/2011 - 8:15pm. By Brian Murphy
[email protected]

You can add Idaho to the list of Western Athletic Conference teams that have contacted the Mountain West Conference about future membership.

The (Spokane, Wash.) Spokesman Review reports that Idaho athletic director Rob Spear has talked to MWC commissioner Craig Thompson. "We are exploring all avenues and this includes the Mountain West," Spear told the paper.

Boise State (2011), Fresno State (2012), Hawaii (2012, football only) and Nevada (2012) are moving from the WAC to the Mountain West, which is losing Utah, BYU and TCU in the next two years.

Earlier this week, the San Jose Mercury News reported that San Jose State was interested in jumping to the Mountain West.

Thompson told our Chadd Cripe that he has had one conversation with the Spartans — when they asked to be considered for potential expansion.

Mountain West officials will meet next week and expansion is expected to be among the topics discussed. But Thompson said he has not been given the go-ahead by his presidents to pursue additional members.

As it stands, the Mountain West will be a 10-team football league beginning in 2012.

If the league were to expand, Idaho would seem to be well down the list of contenders for expansion. But Spear has no choice but to pursue an invitation. Current WAC member Utah State has also been linked to the Mountain West, as schools look to jump to what is perceived as the more stable conference.

WAC commissioner Karl Benson acknowledged as much last week in an interview about expansion with the San Antonio News Express.

“Unfortunately, we're kind of held at bay until the Mountain West makes their decision,” Benson told the newspaper. “Obviously there are WAC schools that might be on the list. It's something we have to recognize as a possibility. We are certainly hoping there isn't any further deletion.”

The WAC has added Texas State, Texas-San Antonio and non-football playing Denver beginning in 2012.

Benson told the newspaper that Seattle, Cal-State Bakersfield and Utah Valley will be considered as non-football playing members. The paper reported that the list of potential football schools includes: Louisiana-Lafayette, Lamar, Sam Houston State, California-Davis, Portland State and Cal Poly and possibly new attempts at luring Montana and North Texas.

• There was some good news for the WAC. The NCAA passed a new rule that will allow the WAC to keep its automatic berths in NCAA tournaments, berths that were put in jeopardy by the defections under old rules

Read more: http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/01/20/bmurphy/reports_vandals_pursuing_mountain_west_conference_invite#ixzz1C4iASQ6e

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="954139" timestamp="1295966194"]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=78804.msg954048#msg954048 date=1295926957]UNLV, I have some ocean front property in Oklahoma I'd like to sell you![/quote]

He already owns all the oceanfront property in Arkansas after his off the wall thoughts regarding the initial football head coaching hire. May as well expand!
[/quote]

No, he wasn't off by mentioning names as Lamar talked to same high profile names but in the end hired Coach Woodard. I know Lamar talked to Fran, Switzer and Coker. There may be a few others I don't know about. As for why Switzer wasn't interested he told Coach Tubbs he was too old to start a new program from scratch. I was told Fran and Coker stated the money wasn't right for their salary and the salary of their coaching staff's. Forgot, R.C Slocum was talked to but he is happy with his position in College Station.

You should worry less about UNLV and Lamar University and more about SHSU. You obviously don't know a lot about what goes on within the Lamar athletic department.

I don't see why all the debating is going on. Lamar is leaving the SLC. If not then Dr Simmons and Coach Tidwell would have stated we are staying in the SLC when being asked about a change in conference affiliation. The decision has been made by Dr. Simmons, Coach Tidwell, Coach Tubbs and I'm sure there have been talks with coaches of non revenue producing sports and their thoughts.

Coach Tidwell address this issue during his weekly radio show and Dr Simmons has address it in an interview in the Beaumont Enterprise. They both never stated Lamar wasn't interested in moving to a FBS conference.

Originally posted by coachacola.

The Coach Tidwell show is now on the Lamar website.  Go to the 19 minute mark to hear him talk about conference realignment.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/allaccess/

If they aren't interested in moving why even talk about it?

I've heard from Coach Tidwell on three different occasions that we have a great recruiting class coming in for football.  8)

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="954235" timestamp="1295978533"]
Do any of you guys remember why LU wound up back in the Southland?  With no football, Rex Cottle wanted to try to save Grey Giovanni's job as basketball coach back in the mid 90's, so he proposed the move to the Southland and put the carrot out that LU could bring football back under the IAA/FCS conference.  The real skinny on that is that he had no intention of really bringing football back, just saving Grey.  He departs and in steps Dr. Simmons who really did want to bring FB back and everyone probably knows the rest of the story.  Being in the Southland helped get football back, but if LU can make the move to FBS, then I am on board for exactly the same reason as Green Menace articulated how he felt about UNT.
[/quote]

I have to disagree with you North - the move to the Southland was not about saving Giovanne's job - but a financial necessity at the time.  When Cottle came in Lamar was just about broke and had to tighten the purse strings and get their financial house in order.  A lot of the work that Cottle did established a solid base for what Dr. Simmons has been able to accomplish.

[quote name="Ruckdad" post="954330" timestamp="1295986170"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=78804.msg954235#msg954235 date=1295978533]
[/quote]

I have to disagree with you North - the move to the Southland was not about saving Giovanne's job - but a financial necessity at the time.  When Cottle came in Lamar was just about broke and had to tighten the purse strings and get their financial house in order.  A lot of the work that Cottle did established a solid base for what Dr. Simmons has been able to accomplish.
[/quote]

It had that smell all over the move and they definately used the football carrot to sell it because it didn't have just an outpouring of support!

[quote name="LU4LIFE" post="954376" timestamp="1295990337"]
The Mountain West has decided against expansion following a two-day meeting of its Board of Directors in Las Vegas.

http://www.espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post?id=38611
[/quote]

Even the MWC doesn't want the leftover pieces of the WAC, the conference is THAT bad.

[quote name="coachacola" post="954373" timestamp="1295989516"]
The Mountain West isn't expanding so Utah State and San Jose State are staying in the WAC for now.  This adds stability to the WAC so it's time for Lamar to join.
[/quote]I think this leaves the WAC in limbo, not stable. But I still don't see why LU should not accept if invited.
I think the MWC chose this route with the possibility of the breakup of the big 12.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="954233" timestamp="1295978463"]
Eastern Michigan gets more than McNeese and so does North Texas. And Lafayette. Just saying. And North Texas gets more attention and money than Appy state and close to as much respect. So I would say FBS based on that argument.
[/quote]

so...you'd rather play eastern michigan than mcneese?..@ home or on the road in front of 3000 screaming eagle fans...

Mcneese, appy, Ga southern are some of the most respected 1AA programs in the nation....East mich,  NTSU? laughing stocks of 1A...NTSU, has some hope...E mich oughta be DII

[quote name="epg2793" post="954889" timestamp="1296029182"]
geez, when is puddin going to realize FBS in any conference is an upgrade. Then again, based on his history probably never.
[/quote]

It's like switching from the 100 meter dash to the 200 meter dash at the Special Olympics, even if you're in a different group, you're still.......

you can finish it.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="954891" timestamp="1296030608"]
[quote author=epg2793 link=topic=78804.msg954889#msg954889 date=1296029182]
geez, when is puddin going to realize FBS in any conference is an upgrade. Then again, based on his history probably never.
[/quote]

It's like switching from the 100 meter dash to the 200 meter dash at the Special Olympics, even if you're in a different group, you're still.......

you can finish it.
[/quote]

Wooten must know that either SAMMY ST doesn't want to make the move or the WAC doesn't want them.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="955070" timestamp="1296060496"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=78804.msg954891#msg954891 date=1296030608]
[/quote]

you can finish it.
[/quote]

Wooten must know that either SAMMY ST doesn't want to make the move or the WAC doesn't want them.
[/quote]

Change it, Wooten doesn't want to make the move.

Go figure, the Cards are all wrong again, even if you switch races, you're still in the retarded race.

[quote name="epg2793" post="954889" timestamp="1296029182"]
[/quote]

I'm not against moving up, ya dim bulb---I am , however against playing utah st., idaho, and san whoever

I am stating E Mich is one of the worst football programs in 1A

Dropping football then leaving the Sun Belt were two of the biggest blunders Lamar made before Simmons and Tubbs took over.  They've brought back football, now they need to join the WAC since a Sun Belt invite won't happen if Lamar stays FCS.  Lamar should already be playing FBS football like former SLC members La Tech, UL-L, Ark State, North Texas and UL-M.  I think going FBS has been Simmons' and Tubbs' plan from day 1.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="955076" timestamp="1296060728"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=78804.msg955070#msg955070 date=1296060496]
[/quote]

you can finish it.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Go figure, the Cards are all wrong again, even if you switch races, you're still in the[b] retarded race.[/b]
[/quote]

And you wonder why people don't always like Sam fans.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="955076" timestamp="1296060728"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=78804.msg955070#msg955070 date=1296060496]
[/quote]

you can finish it.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Go figure, the Cards are all wrong again, even if you switch races, you're still in the retarded race.
[/quote]

I'm willing to wait and see what the outcome is and then see who is "retarded" Bub!!!!

You want funny, go look at the La Tech boards and other schools in the WAC and Sun Belt, and see what they think about the idea of Lamar being on "their level."

It's kinda funny to think two of the worst conferences in FBS actually have enough pride  to actually look down on someone.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="955173" timestamp="1296069279"]
You want funny, go look at the La Tech boards and other schools in the WAC and Sun Belt, and see what they think about the idea of Lamar being on "their level."

It's kinda funny to think two of the worst conferences in FBS actually have enough pride  to actually look down on someone.
[/quote]

And the answer to that is everybody (well maybe not the Sammy St fans) thinks they are better than someone else, no matter what station in life they are at, unfortunately even us humble LU fans.  We have beaten and been beaten by La Tech.  They are not as high and mighty as they think!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder