Toledo Bend

[quote name="Cardinal Supporter" post="943868" timestamp="1294419176"]
I haven't been fishing in a while. The water is so low and finding a good place to launch is a problem. We have gotten some decent rains lately up there but every time I go the water is a little lower. It seems that the water should have risen a little. It is a good time to work on doc's if need be.
[/quote]

You speaking of Toledo?  I thought they maintained the 165 level.

If it is because of lack of rain.....wow....didnt realize it

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="943878" timestamp="1294420223"]
[quote author=Cardinal Supporter link=topic=78344.msg943868#msg943868 date=1294419176]
I haven't been fishing in a while. The water is so low and finding a good place to launch is a problem. We have gotten some decent rains lately up there but every time I go the water is a little lower. It seems that the water should have risen a little. It is a good time to work on doc's if need be.
[/quote]

You speaking of Toledo?  I thought they maintained the 165 level.

If it is because of lack of rain.....wow....didnt realize it
[/quote]

True,  that the law prohibits dropping the lake below 165,  but I think they're working on the dam or something.

Also,  I've got some friends that are KILLING the crappie up there right now.  fyi

Go up the lake north of pendeleton bridge in Jan.to a place off the river channel called the chicken coop.There will be pontoon boats w/lights @ night that looks like a freight train w/cars catching crappie(wh.perch)until wore out suspended in 30' water @ normal levels.Bass-find some green hydrilla on humps close to a creek channel and BINGO throw a white buzzbait w/slow retrieve then short bursts and don't watch,wait till you feel the fish then hook up.A friend and I caught a 5 fish stringer 2nd week of Jan.in a Anglers Choice tourney that weighed 26.39 pounds on white buzzbaits a number of years ago just less than 1 mi north of the Pendelton bridge on the Tex.side of the lake.

• 1 month later...
[quote name="PNG Proud" post="965700" timestamp="1297647798"]
Headed to Fin & Feather for Spring Break.  Hopefully the water will be up a little...and warmer too.
[/quote]I have some good #s in my gps >>thats broken<< just on the edge of Housen Bayou. The 1st house just N, and West of F&F is where we stayed when I hunted up there, 2 yrs back I sunk some barrels along with some other things that should be holding some fish, I'll see if I can power up my GPS and get the #s for you..... 

• 2 weeks later...
Toledo Bend has been low for 5 or 6 month I guess. I don't remember when they drew it down to work on the dam. I do know, however, they are not in a hurry to let it fill back up. I checked this morning and the level is 164.66 feet. That is a rise from the last rain up north of the dam by about 1/10 of an inch. If I am not wrong the new law said that they are not supposed to generate when the level is below 168 feet. They are running one generator for two hours a day, (6AM to 8 AM today) which is releasing 7794 cubic feet per second. I thought they were only supposed to maintain a minimum flow down streem which is 204 cubic feet per second. This is not going to help the spawn in my opinion. Does anyone know what is going on?

[quote name="Cardinal Supporter" post="974106" timestamp="1298916254"]
Toledo Bend has been low for 5 or 6 month I guess. I don't remember when they drew it down to work on the dam. I do know, however, they are not in a hurry to let it fill back up. I checked this morning and the level is 164.66 feet. That is a rise from the last rain up north of the dam by about 1/10 of an inch. If I am not wrong the new law said that they are not supposed to generate when the level is below 168 feet. They are running one generator for two hours a day, (6AM to 8 AM today) which is releasing 7794 cubic feet per second. I thought they were only supposed to maintain a minimum flow down streem which is 204 cubic feet per second. This is not going to help the spawn in my opinion. Does anyone know what is going on?
[/quote]

Check out this link:

http://www.toledo-bend.com/toledo_bend/index.asp?request=boatlaunches

Thats putting several boat ramps out of commission.  The spring is when the business around the water start making a profit again. Hopefully it gets up quick.

As for the spawn, it should not matter too much as long as it stays consistant. It may actually help the fisherman as the fish cant move deep in shallows if the waters low.

My best fishing trip ever was when Rayburn was way down during the early spawn years ago. We fished the creeks and at times got out of the boat and walked on what would have been under about 8 feet of water. We limited each day (3 of us when it was a 10 fish limit) and I don't think we kept a fish under 2.5 or 3 pounds.

[quote name="Buccaneer#3" post="974289" timestamp="1298943022"]
what baits TVC?
[/quote]

Waaaaay back then..... single blade white spinner baits. Medium size, maybe 1/4oz heads. That is all that we could catch them on during that trip. Tried everything else in the box with no results.

• 4 weeks later...
Went to toledo bend last week.  I fished crappie island and 8 lb. and a couple other spots close.  It got warm quick...The crappie were scattered.  decieded to fish for bass at 2pm.  by 3pm I had 8 in the boat.  they were hitting on a watermelon french fry/tail dipped in close... about 3-6 feet. I went  in at 3 and came out at 4 still trying to catch crappie for some reason..... I was so tired I stayed in on sunday....my uncle went out sunday and said they cought 35 crappie, 25 white bass and 3 large mouths on jigs....

I'm going to try to make a run up to 6 mile on Sat am.  Found some good grassy areas the last time I was there, but the lightning ran me off.  I caught one on the second cast, so I didn't want to leave...but.
Hopefully they will be closer to bedding up.  I found just a few beds, but no fish on them.

Will report back later.

Had a pretty good day.  Probably caught around 12-15 bass (8 keepers) and also 28 crappie (10 keepers).  Got a really nice mess of fillets.  Caught the bass on pumpkin seed Flukes and black/gold Senko (wacky-worm).  Crappie on red head/chartreuse curly-tails.
Sorry,  no depth finder, so I can't tell you how deep we were, other than around 5 ft. on bass and 7 ft. on Crappie.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami